The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.
- Mark Twain
Habit " You cant reach old age by another man's road, my habits protect my life but they would assassinate you "...
- Mark Twain
By trying we can easily endure adversity. Another man's, I mean.
- Mark Twain
One man's poison ivy is another man's spinach.
- George Ade
Who cares if a man wants to marry another man? All i want to know is who's going to ick up all the dirty socks?
- Sherman Alexie
You shall find out how salt is the taste of another man's bread, and how hard is the way up and down another man's stairs.
- Dante Alighieri
Does the open wound in another's breast soften the pain of the gaping wound in our own? Or does the blood which is welling from another man's side staunch that which is pouring from our own? Does the general anguish of our fellow creatures lessen our own private and particular anguish? No, no, each suffers on his own account, each struggles with his own grief, each sheds his own tears.
- Alexandre Dumas
Do you want to achieve something or do you just want to make money?" asked a nearby man in a white shirt to another man in a striped shirt. I waited for the answer as I slowly walked past them.
"Why is it an either or question?" the man in the striped shirt finally murmured philosophically under a sip of beer. They both stood there looking at each other in thought.
- Daniel Amory
She tried to imagine what Charles would do if another man came up to him and said, You bring me joy.
- Patricia Briggs
It is not for me to judge another man's life. I must judge, I must choose, I must spurn, purely for myself. For myself, alone.
- Hermann Hesse
I'd do almost anything for you. I think I'd kill for you. But I'm not going to comfort you while you cry in my arms over another man. - Gage Travis
- Lisa Kleypas
Belonging to me doesn't mean I'll make you do anything, it just means I consider you mine for as long as this lasts. It means I protect you, it means I take care of you. For another man, it might mean something different. Don't confuse me with another man
- Kristen Ashley
Make him work to unlock your secrets, my Kia," she whispered. "Do not accept another man in your life who does not rise to that challenge and do it gallantly.
- Kristen Ashley
Not one fuckin' thing gentlemanly about protecting what's yours. Looks like you're gonna lose it, you do everything you can to stop that from happening." Max looked back to Niles. "And you didn't do that. She was a week away from me, she walked into a room I was in holdin' another man's hand, I'd lose my fuckin' mind. Not at her. Wonderin' where I lost my way and I'd talk to her about how to find my way back.
- Kristen Ashley
Passion is the evil in adultery. If a man has no opportunity of living with another man's wife, but if it is obvious for some reason that he would like to do so, and would do so if he could, he is no less guilty than if he was caught in the act.
- Saint Augustine
No man is offended by another man's admiration of the woman he loves; it is the woman only who can make it a torment.
- Jane Austen
I don't sit around thinking that I'd like to have another husband; only another man would make me think that way.
- Lauren Bacall
One man cannot hold another man down in the ditch without remaining down in the ditch with him.
- Booker T Washington
I cannot allow another man to take what I already consider mine.
- Maya Banks
One man's pornography is another man's theology.
- Clive Barker
I spent thirty-three years in another man's shadow. I went everywhere he went, I helped him with everything he did. I was in a sense a part of him. When you live like that for a long time, you gradually lose track of what it is you yourself really want out of life
- Haruki Murakami
Suffrage, noun. Expression of opinion by means of a ballot. The right of suffrage (which is held to be both a privilege and a duty) means, as commonly interpreted, the right to vote for the man of another man's choice, and is highly prized.
- Ambrose Bierce
I must create a system or be enslaved by another mans; I will not reason and compare: my business is to create.
- William Blake
Make your own rules or be a slave to another man's.
- William Blake
Each man must create his own system or else he is a slave to another mans
- William Blake
It amazed Forrest that so many men seemed to wake up in the morning needing some kind of beating or another, men saying and doing fantastic things for the sake of getting another man to smash his face.
- Matt Bondurant
But O, how bitter a thing it is to look into happiness through another man's eyes.
- William Shakespeare
My selfbeing, my consciousness and feeling of myself, that taste of myself, of *I* and *me* above and in all things... is more distinctive than the taste of ale or alum, more distinctive than the smell of walnutleaf or camphor, and is incommunicable by any means to another man (as when I was a child I used to ask myself: What must it be to be someone else?).
- Gerard Manley Hopkins
One man's mistake is another man's opportunity.
- Steven Brust
Religion points to that area of human experience where in one way or another man comes upon mystery as a summons to pilgrimage.
- Frederick Buechner
I was a man who thrived on solitude; without it I was like another man without food or water. Each day without solitude weakened me. I took no pride in my solitude; but I was dependent on it. The darkness of the
room was like sunlight to me.
- Charles Bukowski
I never met another man I'd rather be. And even if that's a delusion, it's a lucky one.
- Charles Bukowski
It was the first time i had been alone for five days. I was a man who thrived on solitude; without it I was like another man without food or water. Each day without solitude weakened me. I took no pride in my solitude; but I was dependent on it. The darkness of the room was like sunlight to me.
- Charles Bukowski
I've never met another man I'd rather be.
- Charles Bukowski
The true spirit of conversation consists in building on another man's observation, not overturning it.
- Edward George Bulwer Lytton
The true spirit of conversation consists in building on another man's observation, not overturning it.
- Edward G Bulwerlytton
Woe to him who could look on and say: The fool! If she had waited, if she had let time do its work, her despair would surely have subsided, another man would have turned up to comfort her. That's just like saying: The fool, dying of fever! If she had waited until his strength returned, his circulation improved, the tumult of his blood calmed down, everything would have turned out well and he would still be alive today!
- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
There were times when [he] allowed himself to see clearly that he would end his working life, that was to say, his conscious thinking life, in this task, that all his thoughts would have been another man's thoughts, all his work another man's work. And then he thought it did not perhaps matter so greatly... It was a pleasant subordination, if he was a subordinate.
- A S Byatt
Until you walk a mile in another man's moccasins you can't imagine the smell.
- Robert Byrne
One man's nonsense is another man's sense.
- Peter Cameron
My father always said that government is like watching another man piss in your boot. Someone feels better but it certainly isn't you.
- Orson Scott Card
A man long accustomed to admire his wife in general, seldom pauses to admire her in a particular gown or attitude, unless his attention is directed to her by the appreciative gaze of another man.
- Willa Cather
Sometimes a neighbor whom we have disliked a lifetime for his arrogance and conceit lets fall a single commonplace remark that shows us another side, another man, really; a man uncertain, and puzzled, and in the dark like ourselves.
- Willa Cather
I believe that there is another man inside of every man, a stranger, a Conniving Man.
- Stephen King
Every revolution was first a thought in one man's mind, and when the same thought occurs to another man, it is the key to that era.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
You broke the Man Code, dude. 'No man shall knowingly and with malice aforethought kick another man in the nuts.'"
"Okay, so I kicked him in the nuts. The little fucker was fleeing the scene of a crime where he'd pointed a weapon at my buddies."
[from short story "Beer Run" at the end of Skin Deep]
- Pamela Clare
I am rather of the opinion that in England a gentleman's dreams are his own private concern. I fancy there is a law in that effect and, if there is not, why, Parliament should certainly be made to pass one immediately! It ill becomes another man to invite himself into them.
- Susanna Clarke
Never question another man's motive. His wisdom, yes, but not his motives.
- Dwight D Eisenhower
Being faithful in that which is another man's qualifies us to receive our own.
- Edwin Louis Cole
I was no fool; I was aware that when another man is too anxious to force money on one, it is time to examine the cards, for there is almost certainly something illegal, or dangerous, or both, involved in the matter.
- Robert A Heinlein
One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null word.
- Robert A Heinlein
One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.
- Robert A Heinlein
Never test another man by your own weakness.
- Joseph Conrad
Each person bears a fear which is special to him. One man fears a close space and another man fears drowning; each laughs at the other and calls him stupid. Thus fear is only a preference, to be counted the same as the preference for one woman or another, or mutton for pig, or cabbage for onion.
- Michael Crichton
Every one interprets everything in terms of his own experience. If you say anything which does not touch a precisely similar spot in another man's brain, he either misunderstands you, or doesn't understand you at all.
- Aleister Crowley
All history is just one man trying to take something away from another man, and usually it doesn't really belong to either of them.
- Andrew Davidson
I have to be a star like another man has to breathe.
- Sammy Davis Jr
And there, in that phrase, the bitterness leaks again out of my pen. What a dull lifeless quality this bitterness is. If I could I would write with love, but if I could write with love I would be another man; I would never have lost love.
- Graham Greene
This was a vagrant of sixty-five, who was going to prison for not playing the flute; or, in other words, for begging in the streets, and doing noting for his livelihood. In the next cell, was another man, who was going to the same prison for hawking tin saucepans without a licence; thereby doing something for his living, in defiance of the Stamp-office.
- Charles Dickens
..such a cross is too much for you. You wanted to regenerate another man in yourself through suffering; I say just remember that other man always, all your life, and wherever you escape to--and that is enough for you.
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky
It may have been a comedy, or it may have been a tragedy. It cost one man his reason, it cost me a blood-letting, and it cost yet another man the penalties of the law. Yet there was certainly an element of comedy. Well, you shall judge for yourselves.
- Arthur Conan Doyle
Yes, the reaction is already upon me. I shall be as limp as a rag for a week."
"Strange," said I, "how terms of what in another man I should call laziness alternate with your fits of splendid energy and vigor.
- Arthur Conan Doyle
Learned we may be with another man's learning: we can only be wise with wisdom of our own.
- Michel De Montaigne
The confidence in another man's virtue is no light evidence of a man's own, and God willingly favors such a confidence.
- Michel De Montaigne
Unless you have found something in life to live for that is more important to you than your own life, you will always be a slave. For all another man needs to do is threaten to take your life to get you to do his bidding.
- Martin Luther King Jr
I'd been unable to stop questioning if I knew what I was doing, even just kissing, and I'd sort of sheepishly apologized for my inexperience. Lucius had drawn back, a strange look in his eyes and a half smile on his lips as he'd said, 'I don't think I could allow another man who'd touched you to continue walking this earth. The only reason Zinn survives is the debt that I owe him.' He'd smiled a little more broadly, joking, 'Your inexperience saves lives, Antanasia.
- Beth Fantaskey
but very little achievement is required in order to pity another man's shortcomings.
- George Eliot
I can't sit still and see another man slaving and working. I want to get up and superintend, and walk round with my hands in my pockets, and tell him what to do. It is my energetic nature. I can't help it.
- Jerome K Jerome
I don't know why it should be, I am sure; but the sight of another man asleep in bed when I am up, maddens me.
- Jerome K Jerome
Boxing, for me, it's the beginning of all sports. I'm willing to bet that the first sport was a man against another man in a fight, so I think that's something innate in all of us.
- Omar Epps
Is it right to shoot the poor prostitute or a woman who is unfaithful to her husband, or a man who loves another man?
- Oriana Fallaci
Cute? You think he's cute? What's cute about him?
...
Well, yes. He's got that smile, that really bad boy smile, and a great backside.
On page eighty of the relationship manual, it clearly states, you cannot look at another man's backside, especially if you think it's great.
- Christine Feehan
In a train...smash. In his arm her last...breath.' He had loved her. But he hated himself more. Such suffering, so much pain. And he thought it made him hateful. As if suffering was shameful, disgusting, as if pain were a crime. Who can judge another man's suffering?
- Janet Fitch
Take care that all your offerings be free, and of your own, that has cost you something; so that ye may not offer of that which is another man's, or that which ye are entrusted withal, and not your own.
- George Fox
This is just another man, another fight, another payday.
- Joe Frazier
Never be possessive. If a female friend lets on that she is going out with another man, be kind and understanding. If she says she would like to go out with the Dallas Cowboys, including the coaching staff, the same rule applies.
- Bruce Jay Friedman
One man's opportunism is another man's statesmanship.
- Milton Friedman
But an Adrian also knew that an Adrian's lies were real: they were lived and felt and acted out as thoroughly as another man's truths - if other men had truths - and he believed it possible that this last lie might see him through to the grave.
- Stephen Fry
Orpheus. Had the name he had taken ever suited him better? But he would be wilier than the singer whose name he had stolen. He would indeed. He would send another man into the realm of Death in the Fire-Dancer's place-and he'd make sure that he didn't come back.
- Cornelia Funke
If needs must, she could do those things for herself-or find another man. And yet...she needed him-would mourn his loss if it came. Perhaps forever. In his present vulnerable mood, that knowledge seemed a great gift.
- Diana Gabaldon
Damn right I begrudge! I grudge every memory of yours that doesna hold me, and every tear ye've shed for another, and every second you've spent in another man's bed!
- Diana Gabaldon
Men don't want another man to look at their woman because they don't know how to handle it.
- John Galliano
He is not my father. The thought leapt unbidden to Jon's mind. Lord Eddard Stark is my father. I will not forget him, no matter how many swords they give me. Yet he could scarcely tell Lord Mormont that it was another man's sword he dreamt of..
- George R R Martin
For the vision of one man lends not its wings to another man.
- Kahlil Gibran
This kind of charge reveals a good deal about the personality of the people who make it; to impute such motives to another man is to imply you're harboring them yourself.
- Jim Garrison
One man's fish is another man's poisson.
- Mark Gatiss
Always wanting another man than your own.
- Thomas Hardy
There are always lessons that can be learned from another manufacturer. You can learn from their successes and from their mistakes also. But you cannot replicate; you can only learn.
- Carlos Ghosn
Man is profoundly dependent on the reflection of himself in another man's soul, be it even the soul of an idiot.
- Witold Gombrowicz
No man is good enough to govern another man without that other's consent.
- Abraham Lincoln
come back so i can say yes this time do it again now that i know what to call what you did
this time i'll be ready i like it rough now and i'm done with romance i never met another man who loved me so much at first sight he had to hurt me to do it
- Daphne Gottlieb
One man's gospel truth is another man's blasphemous lie. The dangerous thing about people is the way we'll try to kill anyone whose truth doesn't agree with ours.
- Mira Grant
The dangerous thing about truth is the way it changes depending on how you're looking at it. One man's gospel truth is another man's blasphemous lie. The dangerous thing about people is the way we'll try to kill anyone whose truth doesn't agree with ours.
- Mira Grant
Oh, yes, we were on location with Another Man's Poison, which I wrote for Bette Davis.
- Val Guest
Another man whose social life has ruined him.
- Dashiell Hammett
Cannot you conceive that another man may wish well to the world and struggle for its good on some other plan than precisely that which you have laid down?
- Nathaniel Hawthorne
Whenever he saw a dollar in another man's hands he took it as a personal grudge, if he couldn't take it any other way.
- O Henry
He's just another man who wants to teach me something.
- Sheila Heti
Strife and Confusion joined the fight, along with cruel Death, who seized one wounded man while still alive and then another man without a wound, while pulling the feet of one more corpse out from the fight. The clothes Death wore around her shoulders were dyed red with human blood.
- Homer
Burn not thy fingers to snuff another man's candle.
- James Howell
What do you mean, ruined?"
From the way Emily swallows slowly, you'd think we were talking about smoking crack. "Compromised. By...by another man."
"Oh!" I say, too loudly. "You mean, if the girl's not a virgin, the guy won't marry her?"
She nods, her eyes wide, as if being a non-virgin is akin to being an ax-murder.
- Mandy Hubbard
Gabriel actually laughed. Luckily for Philippa, she's beautiful enought that another man will come along who has the balls to accept what she's offering.
- Eloisa James
...There are also those who inadvertently grant power to another man's words by continuously trying to spite him. If a man gets to the point where he can simply say, 'The sky is blue,' and people indignantly rush up trying to refute him saying, 'No, the sky is light blue,' then, whether they realize it or not, he has become an authority figure even to such adversaries.
- Criss Jami
I called to tell her I loved her, which was smart, because if I'd have done it in person, I'd have caught her with another man. I don't care if he was my clone, it isn't right and it pisses me off. I was backstabbed by myself.
- Jarod Kintz
A revisionist spell could make it seem like I had no father, and another man could get the credit for being my dad instead of my father. But no wizardry was needed, as my dad was a douche who divorced and distanced himself.
- Jarod Kintz
Fighting and dancing are kind of related. Especially if you dance with another man's woman.
- Jarod Kintz
No matter how hard you try looking for love, Orafoura once told me, the last place you'll find it is in another man's ass. But that may not be true, because the last time I lost my boxing gloves, that's exactly where I found them.
- Jarod Kintz
I try to put myself in another man's shoes. Or a woman's, if she has large enough feet.
- Jarod Kintz
A man's bookseller should keep his confidence, like his physician. What can become of a world where every man knows what another man reads? Why, sir, books would become like quacks' potions, with every mountebank in the newspapers claiming one volume's superiority over another.
- Philip Kerr
We should not say that one man's hour is worth another man's hour, but rather that one man during an hour is worth just as much as another man during an hour. Time is everything, man is nothing: he is at the most time's carcass.
- Karl Marx
This is the meanest thing anyone's ever done to me," I said, through my tear-clogged throat. "I want you to know that." But even as the words were leaving my mouth, I knew it wasn't true. In the grand, historical scheme of things, my father leaving us was doubtlessly worse. Which is one of the many things that sucked about my father?? he forever robbed me of the possibility of telling another man, This is the worst thing that's ever happened to me, and meaning it.
- Jennifer Weiner
A lady is nothing very specific. One man's lady is another man's woman; sometimes, one man's lady is another man's wife. Definitions overlap but they almost never coincide.
- Russell Lynes
..he wanted her.
And at another time, as another man, he would have her. Without hesitation. As lover... as more.
- Sarah Maclean
And perhaps beyond those shrouded swells another man did walk with another child on the dead gray sands. Slept but a sea apart on another beach among the bitter ashes of the world or stood in their rags lost to the same indifferent sun.
- Cormac Mccarthy
Another man would have trouble imagining it, but he has no trouble. The red of a carpet's ground, the flush of the robin's breast or the chaffinch, the red of a wax seal or the heart of the rose: implanted in his landscape, cered in his inner eye, and caught in the glint of a ruby, in the color of blood, the cardinal is alive and speaking. Look at my face: I am not afraid of any man alive.
- Hilary Mantel
Machineries of reason, machineries of conduct, machineries of virtue. The machine that regulates instinct, keeps one's hands free of another man's throat, free of one's own. These machines have all, as someone said, gone too long in the elements. Gummed now, rusted, bloodless.
I forget who said it and I no longer care.
- Ben Marcus
Suddenly he caught his reflection in the mirror behind her. His face was twisted into a dark scowl, and he was standing there naked, with a boner, and another man's business card in his hand.
He looked like a dick.
- Sarah Mayberry
A wave of possessiveness came over him, almost frightening in its
intensity. Mine. The thought of another man looking at her was almost
enough to make him change his mind about leaving.
- Monica Mccarty
Junk?" Gram gasped. "One man's junk is another man's treasure, you know."
"Yeah, well, maybe it's time to let another man have it, you think?" he teased.
- Cassie Mccown
I engaged in an adult consensual affair with another man.
- James Mcgreevey
One man's trash is another man's treasure is a third man's raw materials for their planet-buster earthquake machine.
- Seanan Mcguire
You should never turn down the offer of another man's story,' the fox persisted, moving off a little further into the trees ahead. 'Stories are the only thing that separates us from the animals after all.
- T B Mckenzie
She wanted never again to have to fill another man's bed, telling falsehoods with her body until her mind could no longer track her own desires. She wanted to rid herself of the murk and the mire that had filled her. This life had bound her as effectively as if she were a falcon tied by a leather shackle, and she wanted to be free.
- Courtney Milan
One man's Voltaire is another man's Screech.
- Dennis Miller
Will you take me as I am? Strung out on another man...California, I'm comin' home.
- Joni Mitchell
Power. What do we mean? 'The ability to determine another man's luck.'...how is it that some men attain mastery over others while the vast majority live and die as minions, as livestock? The answer is a holy trinity. First: God-given gifts of charisma. Second: the discipline to nurture these gifts to maturity, for though humanity's topsoil is fertile with talent, only one seed in ten thousand will ever flower -- for want of discipline. Third: the will to power.
- David Mitchell
Time to set forth alone and find out what sort of man I was, instead of being a mirror to somebody else. Swearing a blood oath, even as I clung to this ghost embrace, that I would never hold another man who wouldn't hold me back.
- Paul Monette
Your ass belongs to me. I've suffered for it. I've loved you forever. I deserve it," Danny went on, his voice a low mixture of anger and desire. "I don't ever want you getting from another man what you can get from me. You hear me, Paul Guy, it's mine.
- Kele Moon
An offensive war, I believe to be wrong and would therefore have nothing to do with it, having no right to meddle with another man's property, his ox or his ass, his man servant or his maid servant or anything this is his.
- Daniel Morgan
I looked and looked at her, and I knew, as clearly as I know that I will die, that I loved her more than anything I had ever seen or imagined on earth. She was only the dead-leaf echo of the nymphet from long ago - but I loved her, this Lolita, pale and polluted and big with another man's child. She could fade and wither - I didn't care. I would still go mad with tenderness at the mere sight of her face.
- Vladimir Nabokov
One man's remorse is another man's reminiscence.
- Ogden Nash
The mystery of one man is too immense and too profound to be explained by another man.
- Henri Nouwen
What is believed in one man's time, is despised in another man's day. To be sure, there will even be revulsion in some future years at things you hardly notice, that are happening in what is known to you as the present.
- Pat O Shea
There is no pain on this earth like seeing the same woman look at another man the way she once looked at you.
- Walker Percy
One man's constant is another man's variable.
- Alan Perlis
I discovered my wife in bed with another man, and I was crushed. So I said, 'Get off me, you two!'
- Emo Philips
One man's warfare is another man's welfare.
- Timothy Pina
It is a thing of no great difficulty to raise objections against another man's oration, it is a very easy matter; but to produce a better in it's place is a work extremely troublesome.
- Plutarch
A rationalist, as I use the word, is a man who attempts to reach decisions by argument and perhaps, in certain cases, by compromise, rather than by violence. He is a man who would rather be unsuccessful in convincing another man by argument than successful in crushing him by force, by intimidation and threats, or even by persuasive propaganda.
- Karl Popper
One man's observation is another man's closed book or flight of fancy.
- Willard Van Orman Quine
You still love me - even if there's one expression of it that you will always feel and want, but will not give me no longer. I'm still what I was, and you'll always see it, and you'll always grant me the same response, even if there's a greater one that you grant another man. No matter what you feel for him, it will not change what you feel for me, and it won't treason to either, because it comes from the same root, it's the same payment in answer to the same values.
- Ayn Rand
No man can have a right to impose an unchosen obligation , an unrewarded duty or an involuntary servitude on another man.
There can be no such thing as the right to enslave.
- Ayn Rand
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
- Ayn Rand
sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
And his children say blessings on him as if he were dead.
And another man, who remains inside his own house,
stays there, inside the dishes and in the glasses,
so that his children have to go far out into the world
toward that same church, which he forgot.
- Rainer Maria Rilke
A man trusts another man when he sees enough of himself in him.
- Gregory David Roberts
How can you approve of them? Does it not bother you that your son, your only son, the very last male to carry the Garrett name, goes home from work every night to another man? That doesn't offend your sensibilities?" "Not one bit," Harrison said. He picked up his newspaper again. "At least he looks forward to going home.
- Abigail Roux
One man's folly is another man's wife.
- Helen Rowland
For guys playing sports at a high level, for money, I can't put my finger on it, but in a man's world of sport, there is something visceral to beating another man.
- Kurt Russell
It was not a healthy marriage for long time. It was never about another man, it was about what my and Dennis's relationship could not sustain.
- Meg Ryan
There is no man so unsuited for the task of speaking about memory as I am, for I find scarcely a trace of it in myself, and I do not believe there is another man in the world so hideously lacking in it.
- Geoff Ryman
Why do there have to be men like that, men who enjoy another man's dying?
- Michael Shaara
One day, I learned that a single look can change everything. And since then I have seen it countless times. I have grappled to understand it and failed. For instance, all it took was a look from another man for my wife to fall out of love with me. It baffles me that a simple alignment of eyes can cause so much devastation.
- Ali Shaw
Upon their meeting in New York in 1958: "We didn't want to live together. We didn't have any examples of what a good love relationship between two men could be. And there was always the problem of hiding so no one would know we were gay. There was no question that if I were known to be gay, living with another man, it would make it more difficult for me to get work as an actor." - Alan Shayne, co-author, Double Life
- Alan Shayne
Respect for another man's opinion is worthy. It is the realization that any opinion is valuable, for it is the sign of a rational being.
- Sargent Shriver
The only thing you can do to make me that angry is to lie with another man.
- Nalini Singh
You missed the point completely! You're acting..." The word stuck in my throat.
He didn't hesitate to say it. "Jealous?" When I nodded, he continued. "Now you're missing the point. It isn't jealousy. It's fear."
"Fear?" Not the emotion I expected.
"Yes. Fear. I'm afraid you'll be hurt or killed. I'm afraid I won't be able to protect you. I'm afraid I'll lose you to another man.
- Maria V Snyder
The Pawn moves only one square at a time, and that straight forward, except in the act of capturing, when it takes one step diagonally to the right or left file on to the square occupied by the man taken, and continues on that file until it captures another man.
- Howard Staunton
One man's faith is another man's delusion
- Anthony Storr
A man who desires to soften another man's heart, should always abuse himself. In softening a woman's heart, he should abuse her.
- Anthony Trollope
What one man can think, another man can do.
- Jules Verne
It was easier being strong when another man was strong enough to be weak.
- Aleksandr Voinov
Orthodoxy is my doxy - heterodoxy is another man's doxy.
- William Warburton
Never bet your money on another man's game.
- Laura Ingalls Wilder
One man's wage increase is another man's price increase.
- Harold Wilson
We choose--or choose not--to be alone when we decide whom we will accept as our fellows, and whom we will reject. Thus an eremite in a mountain is in company, because the birds and coneys, the initiates whose words live in his 'forest books,' and the winds--the messengers of the Increate--are his companions. Another man, living in the midst of millions, may be alone, because there are none but enemies and victims around him.
- Gene Wolfe
I have heard people eat most heartily of another man's meat, that is, what they do not pay for.
- William Wycherley
If you look at the buildings, you'll find that one part looks as if it was designed by one man, and you go around and look at another facade and it looks as if it was designed by another man, you see.
- Minoru Yamasaki
To me this movie is about what is valuable. To one person it might be a stone; to someone else, a story in a magazine; to another, it is a child. The juxtaposition of one man obsessed with finding a valuable diamond with another man risking his life to find his son is the beating heart of this film.
- Edward Zwick
- Mark Twain
Habit " You cant reach old age by another man's road, my habits protect my life but they would assassinate you "...
- Mark Twain
By trying we can easily endure adversity. Another man's, I mean.
- Mark Twain
One man's poison ivy is another man's spinach.
- George Ade
Who cares if a man wants to marry another man? All i want to know is who's going to ick up all the dirty socks?
- Sherman Alexie
You shall find out how salt is the taste of another man's bread, and how hard is the way up and down another man's stairs.
- Dante Alighieri
Does the open wound in another's breast soften the pain of the gaping wound in our own? Or does the blood which is welling from another man's side staunch that which is pouring from our own? Does the general anguish of our fellow creatures lessen our own private and particular anguish? No, no, each suffers on his own account, each struggles with his own grief, each sheds his own tears.
- Alexandre Dumas
Do you want to achieve something or do you just want to make money?" asked a nearby man in a white shirt to another man in a striped shirt. I waited for the answer as I slowly walked past them.
"Why is it an either or question?" the man in the striped shirt finally murmured philosophically under a sip of beer. They both stood there looking at each other in thought.
- Daniel Amory
She tried to imagine what Charles would do if another man came up to him and said, You bring me joy.
- Patricia Briggs
It is not for me to judge another man's life. I must judge, I must choose, I must spurn, purely for myself. For myself, alone.
- Hermann Hesse
I'd do almost anything for you. I think I'd kill for you. But I'm not going to comfort you while you cry in my arms over another man. - Gage Travis
- Lisa Kleypas
Belonging to me doesn't mean I'll make you do anything, it just means I consider you mine for as long as this lasts. It means I protect you, it means I take care of you. For another man, it might mean something different. Don't confuse me with another man
- Kristen Ashley
Make him work to unlock your secrets, my Kia," she whispered. "Do not accept another man in your life who does not rise to that challenge and do it gallantly.
- Kristen Ashley
Not one fuckin' thing gentlemanly about protecting what's yours. Looks like you're gonna lose it, you do everything you can to stop that from happening." Max looked back to Niles. "And you didn't do that. She was a week away from me, she walked into a room I was in holdin' another man's hand, I'd lose my fuckin' mind. Not at her. Wonderin' where I lost my way and I'd talk to her about how to find my way back.
- Kristen Ashley
Passion is the evil in adultery. If a man has no opportunity of living with another man's wife, but if it is obvious for some reason that he would like to do so, and would do so if he could, he is no less guilty than if he was caught in the act.
- Saint Augustine
No man is offended by another man's admiration of the woman he loves; it is the woman only who can make it a torment.
- Jane Austen
I don't sit around thinking that I'd like to have another husband; only another man would make me think that way.
- Lauren Bacall
One man cannot hold another man down in the ditch without remaining down in the ditch with him.
- Booker T Washington
I cannot allow another man to take what I already consider mine.
- Maya Banks
One man's pornography is another man's theology.
- Clive Barker
I spent thirty-three years in another man's shadow. I went everywhere he went, I helped him with everything he did. I was in a sense a part of him. When you live like that for a long time, you gradually lose track of what it is you yourself really want out of life
- Haruki Murakami
Suffrage, noun. Expression of opinion by means of a ballot. The right of suffrage (which is held to be both a privilege and a duty) means, as commonly interpreted, the right to vote for the man of another man's choice, and is highly prized.
- Ambrose Bierce
I must create a system or be enslaved by another mans; I will not reason and compare: my business is to create.
- William Blake
Make your own rules or be a slave to another man's.
- William Blake
Each man must create his own system or else he is a slave to another mans
- William Blake
It amazed Forrest that so many men seemed to wake up in the morning needing some kind of beating or another, men saying and doing fantastic things for the sake of getting another man to smash his face.
- Matt Bondurant
But O, how bitter a thing it is to look into happiness through another man's eyes.
- William Shakespeare
My selfbeing, my consciousness and feeling of myself, that taste of myself, of *I* and *me* above and in all things... is more distinctive than the taste of ale or alum, more distinctive than the smell of walnutleaf or camphor, and is incommunicable by any means to another man (as when I was a child I used to ask myself: What must it be to be someone else?).
- Gerard Manley Hopkins
One man's mistake is another man's opportunity.
- Steven Brust
Religion points to that area of human experience where in one way or another man comes upon mystery as a summons to pilgrimage.
- Frederick Buechner
I was a man who thrived on solitude; without it I was like another man without food or water. Each day without solitude weakened me. I took no pride in my solitude; but I was dependent on it. The darkness of the
room was like sunlight to me.
- Charles Bukowski
I never met another man I'd rather be. And even if that's a delusion, it's a lucky one.
- Charles Bukowski
It was the first time i had been alone for five days. I was a man who thrived on solitude; without it I was like another man without food or water. Each day without solitude weakened me. I took no pride in my solitude; but I was dependent on it. The darkness of the room was like sunlight to me.
- Charles Bukowski
I've never met another man I'd rather be.
- Charles Bukowski
The true spirit of conversation consists in building on another man's observation, not overturning it.
- Edward George Bulwer Lytton
The true spirit of conversation consists in building on another man's observation, not overturning it.
- Edward G Bulwerlytton
Woe to him who could look on and say: The fool! If she had waited, if she had let time do its work, her despair would surely have subsided, another man would have turned up to comfort her. That's just like saying: The fool, dying of fever! If she had waited until his strength returned, his circulation improved, the tumult of his blood calmed down, everything would have turned out well and he would still be alive today!
- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
There were times when [he] allowed himself to see clearly that he would end his working life, that was to say, his conscious thinking life, in this task, that all his thoughts would have been another man's thoughts, all his work another man's work. And then he thought it did not perhaps matter so greatly... It was a pleasant subordination, if he was a subordinate.
- A S Byatt
Until you walk a mile in another man's moccasins you can't imagine the smell.
- Robert Byrne
One man's nonsense is another man's sense.
- Peter Cameron
My father always said that government is like watching another man piss in your boot. Someone feels better but it certainly isn't you.
- Orson Scott Card
A man long accustomed to admire his wife in general, seldom pauses to admire her in a particular gown or attitude, unless his attention is directed to her by the appreciative gaze of another man.
- Willa Cather
Sometimes a neighbor whom we have disliked a lifetime for his arrogance and conceit lets fall a single commonplace remark that shows us another side, another man, really; a man uncertain, and puzzled, and in the dark like ourselves.
- Willa Cather
I believe that there is another man inside of every man, a stranger, a Conniving Man.
- Stephen King
Every revolution was first a thought in one man's mind, and when the same thought occurs to another man, it is the key to that era.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
You broke the Man Code, dude. 'No man shall knowingly and with malice aforethought kick another man in the nuts.'"
"Okay, so I kicked him in the nuts. The little fucker was fleeing the scene of a crime where he'd pointed a weapon at my buddies."
[from short story "Beer Run" at the end of Skin Deep]
- Pamela Clare
I am rather of the opinion that in England a gentleman's dreams are his own private concern. I fancy there is a law in that effect and, if there is not, why, Parliament should certainly be made to pass one immediately! It ill becomes another man to invite himself into them.
- Susanna Clarke
Never question another man's motive. His wisdom, yes, but not his motives.
- Dwight D Eisenhower
Being faithful in that which is another man's qualifies us to receive our own.
- Edwin Louis Cole
I was no fool; I was aware that when another man is too anxious to force money on one, it is time to examine the cards, for there is almost certainly something illegal, or dangerous, or both, involved in the matter.
- Robert A Heinlein
One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null word.
- Robert A Heinlein
One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.
- Robert A Heinlein
Never test another man by your own weakness.
- Joseph Conrad
Each person bears a fear which is special to him. One man fears a close space and another man fears drowning; each laughs at the other and calls him stupid. Thus fear is only a preference, to be counted the same as the preference for one woman or another, or mutton for pig, or cabbage for onion.
- Michael Crichton
Every one interprets everything in terms of his own experience. If you say anything which does not touch a precisely similar spot in another man's brain, he either misunderstands you, or doesn't understand you at all.
- Aleister Crowley
All history is just one man trying to take something away from another man, and usually it doesn't really belong to either of them.
- Andrew Davidson
I have to be a star like another man has to breathe.
- Sammy Davis Jr
And there, in that phrase, the bitterness leaks again out of my pen. What a dull lifeless quality this bitterness is. If I could I would write with love, but if I could write with love I would be another man; I would never have lost love.
- Graham Greene
This was a vagrant of sixty-five, who was going to prison for not playing the flute; or, in other words, for begging in the streets, and doing noting for his livelihood. In the next cell, was another man, who was going to the same prison for hawking tin saucepans without a licence; thereby doing something for his living, in defiance of the Stamp-office.
- Charles Dickens
..such a cross is too much for you. You wanted to regenerate another man in yourself through suffering; I say just remember that other man always, all your life, and wherever you escape to--and that is enough for you.
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky
It may have been a comedy, or it may have been a tragedy. It cost one man his reason, it cost me a blood-letting, and it cost yet another man the penalties of the law. Yet there was certainly an element of comedy. Well, you shall judge for yourselves.
- Arthur Conan Doyle
Yes, the reaction is already upon me. I shall be as limp as a rag for a week."
"Strange," said I, "how terms of what in another man I should call laziness alternate with your fits of splendid energy and vigor.
- Arthur Conan Doyle
Learned we may be with another man's learning: we can only be wise with wisdom of our own.
- Michel De Montaigne
The confidence in another man's virtue is no light evidence of a man's own, and God willingly favors such a confidence.
- Michel De Montaigne
Unless you have found something in life to live for that is more important to you than your own life, you will always be a slave. For all another man needs to do is threaten to take your life to get you to do his bidding.
- Martin Luther King Jr
I'd been unable to stop questioning if I knew what I was doing, even just kissing, and I'd sort of sheepishly apologized for my inexperience. Lucius had drawn back, a strange look in his eyes and a half smile on his lips as he'd said, 'I don't think I could allow another man who'd touched you to continue walking this earth. The only reason Zinn survives is the debt that I owe him.' He'd smiled a little more broadly, joking, 'Your inexperience saves lives, Antanasia.
- Beth Fantaskey
but very little achievement is required in order to pity another man's shortcomings.
- George Eliot
I can't sit still and see another man slaving and working. I want to get up and superintend, and walk round with my hands in my pockets, and tell him what to do. It is my energetic nature. I can't help it.
- Jerome K Jerome
I don't know why it should be, I am sure; but the sight of another man asleep in bed when I am up, maddens me.
- Jerome K Jerome
Boxing, for me, it's the beginning of all sports. I'm willing to bet that the first sport was a man against another man in a fight, so I think that's something innate in all of us.
- Omar Epps
Is it right to shoot the poor prostitute or a woman who is unfaithful to her husband, or a man who loves another man?
- Oriana Fallaci
Cute? You think he's cute? What's cute about him?
...
Well, yes. He's got that smile, that really bad boy smile, and a great backside.
On page eighty of the relationship manual, it clearly states, you cannot look at another man's backside, especially if you think it's great.
- Christine Feehan
In a train...smash. In his arm her last...breath.' He had loved her. But he hated himself more. Such suffering, so much pain. And he thought it made him hateful. As if suffering was shameful, disgusting, as if pain were a crime. Who can judge another man's suffering?
- Janet Fitch
Take care that all your offerings be free, and of your own, that has cost you something; so that ye may not offer of that which is another man's, or that which ye are entrusted withal, and not your own.
- George Fox
This is just another man, another fight, another payday.
- Joe Frazier
Never be possessive. If a female friend lets on that she is going out with another man, be kind and understanding. If she says she would like to go out with the Dallas Cowboys, including the coaching staff, the same rule applies.
- Bruce Jay Friedman
One man's opportunism is another man's statesmanship.
- Milton Friedman
But an Adrian also knew that an Adrian's lies were real: they were lived and felt and acted out as thoroughly as another man's truths - if other men had truths - and he believed it possible that this last lie might see him through to the grave.
- Stephen Fry
Orpheus. Had the name he had taken ever suited him better? But he would be wilier than the singer whose name he had stolen. He would indeed. He would send another man into the realm of Death in the Fire-Dancer's place-and he'd make sure that he didn't come back.
- Cornelia Funke
If needs must, she could do those things for herself-or find another man. And yet...she needed him-would mourn his loss if it came. Perhaps forever. In his present vulnerable mood, that knowledge seemed a great gift.
- Diana Gabaldon
Damn right I begrudge! I grudge every memory of yours that doesna hold me, and every tear ye've shed for another, and every second you've spent in another man's bed!
- Diana Gabaldon
Men don't want another man to look at their woman because they don't know how to handle it.
- John Galliano
He is not my father. The thought leapt unbidden to Jon's mind. Lord Eddard Stark is my father. I will not forget him, no matter how many swords they give me. Yet he could scarcely tell Lord Mormont that it was another man's sword he dreamt of..
- George R R Martin
For the vision of one man lends not its wings to another man.
- Kahlil Gibran
This kind of charge reveals a good deal about the personality of the people who make it; to impute such motives to another man is to imply you're harboring them yourself.
- Jim Garrison
One man's fish is another man's poisson.
- Mark Gatiss
Always wanting another man than your own.
- Thomas Hardy
There are always lessons that can be learned from another manufacturer. You can learn from their successes and from their mistakes also. But you cannot replicate; you can only learn.
- Carlos Ghosn
Man is profoundly dependent on the reflection of himself in another man's soul, be it even the soul of an idiot.
- Witold Gombrowicz
No man is good enough to govern another man without that other's consent.
- Abraham Lincoln
come back so i can say yes this time do it again now that i know what to call what you did
this time i'll be ready i like it rough now and i'm done with romance i never met another man who loved me so much at first sight he had to hurt me to do it
- Daphne Gottlieb
One man's gospel truth is another man's blasphemous lie. The dangerous thing about people is the way we'll try to kill anyone whose truth doesn't agree with ours.
- Mira Grant
The dangerous thing about truth is the way it changes depending on how you're looking at it. One man's gospel truth is another man's blasphemous lie. The dangerous thing about people is the way we'll try to kill anyone whose truth doesn't agree with ours.
- Mira Grant
Oh, yes, we were on location with Another Man's Poison, which I wrote for Bette Davis.
- Val Guest
Another man whose social life has ruined him.
- Dashiell Hammett
Cannot you conceive that another man may wish well to the world and struggle for its good on some other plan than precisely that which you have laid down?
- Nathaniel Hawthorne
Whenever he saw a dollar in another man's hands he took it as a personal grudge, if he couldn't take it any other way.
- O Henry
He's just another man who wants to teach me something.
- Sheila Heti
Strife and Confusion joined the fight, along with cruel Death, who seized one wounded man while still alive and then another man without a wound, while pulling the feet of one more corpse out from the fight. The clothes Death wore around her shoulders were dyed red with human blood.
- Homer
Burn not thy fingers to snuff another man's candle.
- James Howell
What do you mean, ruined?"
From the way Emily swallows slowly, you'd think we were talking about smoking crack. "Compromised. By...by another man."
"Oh!" I say, too loudly. "You mean, if the girl's not a virgin, the guy won't marry her?"
She nods, her eyes wide, as if being a non-virgin is akin to being an ax-murder.
- Mandy Hubbard
Gabriel actually laughed. Luckily for Philippa, she's beautiful enought that another man will come along who has the balls to accept what she's offering.
- Eloisa James
...There are also those who inadvertently grant power to another man's words by continuously trying to spite him. If a man gets to the point where he can simply say, 'The sky is blue,' and people indignantly rush up trying to refute him saying, 'No, the sky is light blue,' then, whether they realize it or not, he has become an authority figure even to such adversaries.
- Criss Jami
I called to tell her I loved her, which was smart, because if I'd have done it in person, I'd have caught her with another man. I don't care if he was my clone, it isn't right and it pisses me off. I was backstabbed by myself.
- Jarod Kintz
A revisionist spell could make it seem like I had no father, and another man could get the credit for being my dad instead of my father. But no wizardry was needed, as my dad was a douche who divorced and distanced himself.
- Jarod Kintz
Fighting and dancing are kind of related. Especially if you dance with another man's woman.
- Jarod Kintz
No matter how hard you try looking for love, Orafoura once told me, the last place you'll find it is in another man's ass. But that may not be true, because the last time I lost my boxing gloves, that's exactly where I found them.
- Jarod Kintz
I try to put myself in another man's shoes. Or a woman's, if she has large enough feet.
- Jarod Kintz
A man's bookseller should keep his confidence, like his physician. What can become of a world where every man knows what another man reads? Why, sir, books would become like quacks' potions, with every mountebank in the newspapers claiming one volume's superiority over another.
- Philip Kerr
We should not say that one man's hour is worth another man's hour, but rather that one man during an hour is worth just as much as another man during an hour. Time is everything, man is nothing: he is at the most time's carcass.
- Karl Marx
This is the meanest thing anyone's ever done to me," I said, through my tear-clogged throat. "I want you to know that." But even as the words were leaving my mouth, I knew it wasn't true. In the grand, historical scheme of things, my father leaving us was doubtlessly worse. Which is one of the many things that sucked about my father?? he forever robbed me of the possibility of telling another man, This is the worst thing that's ever happened to me, and meaning it.
- Jennifer Weiner
A lady is nothing very specific. One man's lady is another man's woman; sometimes, one man's lady is another man's wife. Definitions overlap but they almost never coincide.
- Russell Lynes
..he wanted her.
And at another time, as another man, he would have her. Without hesitation. As lover... as more.
- Sarah Maclean
And perhaps beyond those shrouded swells another man did walk with another child on the dead gray sands. Slept but a sea apart on another beach among the bitter ashes of the world or stood in their rags lost to the same indifferent sun.
- Cormac Mccarthy
Another man would have trouble imagining it, but he has no trouble. The red of a carpet's ground, the flush of the robin's breast or the chaffinch, the red of a wax seal or the heart of the rose: implanted in his landscape, cered in his inner eye, and caught in the glint of a ruby, in the color of blood, the cardinal is alive and speaking. Look at my face: I am not afraid of any man alive.
- Hilary Mantel
Machineries of reason, machineries of conduct, machineries of virtue. The machine that regulates instinct, keeps one's hands free of another man's throat, free of one's own. These machines have all, as someone said, gone too long in the elements. Gummed now, rusted, bloodless.
I forget who said it and I no longer care.
- Ben Marcus
Suddenly he caught his reflection in the mirror behind her. His face was twisted into a dark scowl, and he was standing there naked, with a boner, and another man's business card in his hand.
He looked like a dick.
- Sarah Mayberry
A wave of possessiveness came over him, almost frightening in its
intensity. Mine. The thought of another man looking at her was almost
enough to make him change his mind about leaving.
- Monica Mccarty
Junk?" Gram gasped. "One man's junk is another man's treasure, you know."
"Yeah, well, maybe it's time to let another man have it, you think?" he teased.
- Cassie Mccown
I engaged in an adult consensual affair with another man.
- James Mcgreevey
One man's trash is another man's treasure is a third man's raw materials for their planet-buster earthquake machine.
- Seanan Mcguire
You should never turn down the offer of another man's story,' the fox persisted, moving off a little further into the trees ahead. 'Stories are the only thing that separates us from the animals after all.
- T B Mckenzie
She wanted never again to have to fill another man's bed, telling falsehoods with her body until her mind could no longer track her own desires. She wanted to rid herself of the murk and the mire that had filled her. This life had bound her as effectively as if she were a falcon tied by a leather shackle, and she wanted to be free.
- Courtney Milan
One man's Voltaire is another man's Screech.
- Dennis Miller
Will you take me as I am? Strung out on another man...California, I'm comin' home.
- Joni Mitchell
Power. What do we mean? 'The ability to determine another man's luck.'...how is it that some men attain mastery over others while the vast majority live and die as minions, as livestock? The answer is a holy trinity. First: God-given gifts of charisma. Second: the discipline to nurture these gifts to maturity, for though humanity's topsoil is fertile with talent, only one seed in ten thousand will ever flower -- for want of discipline. Third: the will to power.
- David Mitchell
Time to set forth alone and find out what sort of man I was, instead of being a mirror to somebody else. Swearing a blood oath, even as I clung to this ghost embrace, that I would never hold another man who wouldn't hold me back.
- Paul Monette
Your ass belongs to me. I've suffered for it. I've loved you forever. I deserve it," Danny went on, his voice a low mixture of anger and desire. "I don't ever want you getting from another man what you can get from me. You hear me, Paul Guy, it's mine.
- Kele Moon
An offensive war, I believe to be wrong and would therefore have nothing to do with it, having no right to meddle with another man's property, his ox or his ass, his man servant or his maid servant or anything this is his.
- Daniel Morgan
I looked and looked at her, and I knew, as clearly as I know that I will die, that I loved her more than anything I had ever seen or imagined on earth. She was only the dead-leaf echo of the nymphet from long ago - but I loved her, this Lolita, pale and polluted and big with another man's child. She could fade and wither - I didn't care. I would still go mad with tenderness at the mere sight of her face.
- Vladimir Nabokov
One man's remorse is another man's reminiscence.
- Ogden Nash
The mystery of one man is too immense and too profound to be explained by another man.
- Henri Nouwen
What is believed in one man's time, is despised in another man's day. To be sure, there will even be revulsion in some future years at things you hardly notice, that are happening in what is known to you as the present.
- Pat O Shea
There is no pain on this earth like seeing the same woman look at another man the way she once looked at you.
- Walker Percy
One man's constant is another man's variable.
- Alan Perlis
I discovered my wife in bed with another man, and I was crushed. So I said, 'Get off me, you two!'
- Emo Philips
One man's warfare is another man's welfare.
- Timothy Pina
It is a thing of no great difficulty to raise objections against another man's oration, it is a very easy matter; but to produce a better in it's place is a work extremely troublesome.
- Plutarch
A rationalist, as I use the word, is a man who attempts to reach decisions by argument and perhaps, in certain cases, by compromise, rather than by violence. He is a man who would rather be unsuccessful in convincing another man by argument than successful in crushing him by force, by intimidation and threats, or even by persuasive propaganda.
- Karl Popper
One man's observation is another man's closed book or flight of fancy.
- Willard Van Orman Quine
You still love me - even if there's one expression of it that you will always feel and want, but will not give me no longer. I'm still what I was, and you'll always see it, and you'll always grant me the same response, even if there's a greater one that you grant another man. No matter what you feel for him, it will not change what you feel for me, and it won't treason to either, because it comes from the same root, it's the same payment in answer to the same values.
- Ayn Rand
No man can have a right to impose an unchosen obligation , an unrewarded duty or an involuntary servitude on another man.
There can be no such thing as the right to enslave.
- Ayn Rand
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
- Ayn Rand
sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
And his children say blessings on him as if he were dead.
And another man, who remains inside his own house,
stays there, inside the dishes and in the glasses,
so that his children have to go far out into the world
toward that same church, which he forgot.
- Rainer Maria Rilke
A man trusts another man when he sees enough of himself in him.
- Gregory David Roberts
How can you approve of them? Does it not bother you that your son, your only son, the very last male to carry the Garrett name, goes home from work every night to another man? That doesn't offend your sensibilities?" "Not one bit," Harrison said. He picked up his newspaper again. "At least he looks forward to going home.
- Abigail Roux
One man's folly is another man's wife.
- Helen Rowland
For guys playing sports at a high level, for money, I can't put my finger on it, but in a man's world of sport, there is something visceral to beating another man.
- Kurt Russell
It was not a healthy marriage for long time. It was never about another man, it was about what my and Dennis's relationship could not sustain.
- Meg Ryan
There is no man so unsuited for the task of speaking about memory as I am, for I find scarcely a trace of it in myself, and I do not believe there is another man in the world so hideously lacking in it.
- Geoff Ryman
Why do there have to be men like that, men who enjoy another man's dying?
- Michael Shaara
One day, I learned that a single look can change everything. And since then I have seen it countless times. I have grappled to understand it and failed. For instance, all it took was a look from another man for my wife to fall out of love with me. It baffles me that a simple alignment of eyes can cause so much devastation.
- Ali Shaw
Upon their meeting in New York in 1958: "We didn't want to live together. We didn't have any examples of what a good love relationship between two men could be. And there was always the problem of hiding so no one would know we were gay. There was no question that if I were known to be gay, living with another man, it would make it more difficult for me to get work as an actor." - Alan Shayne, co-author, Double Life
- Alan Shayne
Respect for another man's opinion is worthy. It is the realization that any opinion is valuable, for it is the sign of a rational being.
- Sargent Shriver
The only thing you can do to make me that angry is to lie with another man.
- Nalini Singh
You missed the point completely! You're acting..." The word stuck in my throat.
He didn't hesitate to say it. "Jealous?" When I nodded, he continued. "Now you're missing the point. It isn't jealousy. It's fear."
"Fear?" Not the emotion I expected.
"Yes. Fear. I'm afraid you'll be hurt or killed. I'm afraid I won't be able to protect you. I'm afraid I'll lose you to another man.
- Maria V Snyder
The Pawn moves only one square at a time, and that straight forward, except in the act of capturing, when it takes one step diagonally to the right or left file on to the square occupied by the man taken, and continues on that file until it captures another man.
- Howard Staunton
One man's faith is another man's delusion
- Anthony Storr
A man who desires to soften another man's heart, should always abuse himself. In softening a woman's heart, he should abuse her.
- Anthony Trollope
What one man can think, another man can do.
- Jules Verne
It was easier being strong when another man was strong enough to be weak.
- Aleksandr Voinov
Orthodoxy is my doxy - heterodoxy is another man's doxy.
- William Warburton
Never bet your money on another man's game.
- Laura Ingalls Wilder
One man's wage increase is another man's price increase.
- Harold Wilson
We choose--or choose not--to be alone when we decide whom we will accept as our fellows, and whom we will reject. Thus an eremite in a mountain is in company, because the birds and coneys, the initiates whose words live in his 'forest books,' and the winds--the messengers of the Increate--are his companions. Another man, living in the midst of millions, may be alone, because there are none but enemies and victims around him.
- Gene Wolfe
I have heard people eat most heartily of another man's meat, that is, what they do not pay for.
- William Wycherley
If you look at the buildings, you'll find that one part looks as if it was designed by one man, and you go around and look at another facade and it looks as if it was designed by another man, you see.
- Minoru Yamasaki
To me this movie is about what is valuable. To one person it might be a stone; to someone else, a story in a magazine; to another, it is a child. The juxtaposition of one man obsessed with finding a valuable diamond with another man risking his life to find his son is the beating heart of this film.
- Edward Zwick
Comments
Post a Comment