Love is not a thing you can pick up and throw into the gutter and pick up again as the fancy takes you. I am a person, very unfortunately for you, with a quite peculiar dread of thrusting myself or my affections on any one, of in any way outstaying my welcome. The man I would love would be the man I could trust to love me for ever. I do not trust you. I did outstay my welcome once. I did get thrown into the gutter, and came near drowning in that sordid place.
- Elizabeth Von Arnim
If you worked out enough, maybe the man would too. Maybe you would be able to work it out together, as if the two of you were a puzzle that could be solved; otherwise, one of you, most likely the man, taking his addictive body with him and leaving you with bad withdrawal, which you could counteract by exercise. If you didn't work it out it was because one of you had the wrong attitude.
- Margaret Atwood
Maybe the man had taken the wrong turning, but at least he'd travelled some extraordinary roads.
- Clive Barker
So it is the human condition that to wish for the greatness of one's fatherland is to wish evil to one's neighbors. The citizen of the universe would be the man who wishes his country never to be either greater or smaller, richer or poorer.
- Voltaire
Writing ought either to be the manufacture of stories for which there is a market demanda business as safe and commendable as making soap or breakfast foodsor it should be an art, which is always a search for something for which there is no market demand, something new and untried, where the values are intrinsic and have nothing to do with standardized values.
- Willa Cather
Dull would be the man who should merely tolerate this plan of social industry. Weak would be the position of him who should take an apologetic tone in defending it, or present its claims in a merely negative way, by exposing the evils and perils of the socialistic plan.
- John Bates Clark
The only reason we were married in such haste was that my mother begged me not to marry Andrew at all. One of you in a marriage has to be soft, she said. One of you has to know how to say, Have it your way. That's not going to be you, dear, so it might as well be the man.
- Chris Cleave
The Universe was a silly place at best...but the least likely explanation for it was the no-explanation of random chance, the conceit that abstract somethings 'just happened' to be atoms that 'just happened' to get together in ways which 'just happened' to look like consistent laws and some configurations 'just happened' to possess self-awareness and that two 'just happened' to be the Man from Mars and a bald-headed old coot with Jubal inside.
- Robert A Heinlein
To me, my husband was my son's murderer. He was also my daughter's molester. A parasite nibbling on the Holy Book, he was Lucifer, holding me by the throat and driving me to sin every night. He was Bhai's destroyer, Amma Sain's tormentor, Ma's humbler and the people's exploiter. He was the rapist of orphans and the fiend that fed on the weak. But over and above all this, he was known to be the man closest to Allah, the one who could reach Him and save us.
- Tehmina Durrani
The function of education, therefore, is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. But education which stops with efficiency may prove the greatest menace to society. The most dangerous criminal may be the man gifted with reason, but with no morals.
- Martin Luther King Jr
He wasn't a hero. He wasn't the man who stepped forward and saved the innocent. He was lost himself. Shadows had invaded a long time ago and stolen his life. But he would give anything he had left to be the man who found a way to save Judith
- Christine Feehan
To be the man, you gotta beat the man!
- Ric Flair
Love makes you want to be a better man. But maybe love, real love, also gives you permission to just be the man you are.
- Gillian Flynn
claimed to be the man who wrote a certain book what was its name again?"
"Inkheart." Fenoglio rubbed his aching back. "Its title is Inkheart because it's about a man
whose wicked heart is as black as ink, filled with darkness and evil. I still like the title.
- Cornelia Funke
I am happy with what I do. I'd love to be the manager of the Atlanta Braves, but they hired somebody this week. So I'll just have to be inordinately happy with one of the best jobs on the planet.
- Robert Gibbs
Life itself, too, is forever turning an infinitely vacant, dispiriting blank side towards man on which nothing appears, any more than it does on a blank canvas. But no matter how vacant and vain, how dead life may appear to be, the man of faith, of energy, of warmth, who knows something, will not be put off so easily.
- Vincent Van Gogh
I would give anything, anything, to be the man to whom this has not happened. I can not accommodate myself to it. In a lifetime of trying, I can not accommodate myself to it.
And now I will have to be that person forever.
- Robert Goolrick
What to an outsider will be no more than the vigorous presentation of a conviction, to an employee may be the manifestation of a determination which it is not safe to thwart.
- Learned Hand
Maybe [the man who talks to himself] is normal and we're the crazy ones. Maybe everyone should talk to themselves. Maybe we're all just afraid of what we would say.
- Katie Kacvinsky
I could be the man of your dreams. I could also be the alarm clock, stealing you away from the man of your dreams.
- Jarod Kintz
If you just give me a chance, I could be the man you've never dreamed of and never wanted.
- Jarod Kintz
He was acting like the man he wanted to be, in hopes that he could become him. He would keep acting until he couldn't stand it anymore, and then he would be the man he was.
- Maile Meloy
I can't do this because I can't...I can't be the man I want to be with you. And that means that this - this just becomes...another reminder of what I am not.
- Jojo Moyes
Mikhal - ...most of all, I want to be the man that I am only when I am with you
- Mary Jo Putney
The word 'funny' is a bit like the word 'love' - we don't have enough words to describe the many varieties.
- George Saunders
Narcissist: psychoanalytic term for the person who loves himself more than his analyst; considered to be the manifestation of a dire mental disease whose successful treatment depends on the patient learning to love the analyst more and himself less.
- Thomas Szasz
When I grew up, people said, 'You'll never be the man your dad was.' And I said, 'Gee, I hope not.'
- Rip Torn
His lips touched mine again, breathing me in like I was his air, then he tore his mouth from mine; panting. Please Grace, whatever it is you're going after, please try to find it here in me. I will try my best to be the man that you need me to be.
- Christine Zolendz
- Elizabeth Von Arnim
If you worked out enough, maybe the man would too. Maybe you would be able to work it out together, as if the two of you were a puzzle that could be solved; otherwise, one of you, most likely the man, taking his addictive body with him and leaving you with bad withdrawal, which you could counteract by exercise. If you didn't work it out it was because one of you had the wrong attitude.
- Margaret Atwood
Maybe the man had taken the wrong turning, but at least he'd travelled some extraordinary roads.
- Clive Barker
So it is the human condition that to wish for the greatness of one's fatherland is to wish evil to one's neighbors. The citizen of the universe would be the man who wishes his country never to be either greater or smaller, richer or poorer.
- Voltaire
Writing ought either to be the manufacture of stories for which there is a market demanda business as safe and commendable as making soap or breakfast foodsor it should be an art, which is always a search for something for which there is no market demand, something new and untried, where the values are intrinsic and have nothing to do with standardized values.
- Willa Cather
Dull would be the man who should merely tolerate this plan of social industry. Weak would be the position of him who should take an apologetic tone in defending it, or present its claims in a merely negative way, by exposing the evils and perils of the socialistic plan.
- John Bates Clark
The only reason we were married in such haste was that my mother begged me not to marry Andrew at all. One of you in a marriage has to be soft, she said. One of you has to know how to say, Have it your way. That's not going to be you, dear, so it might as well be the man.
- Chris Cleave
The Universe was a silly place at best...but the least likely explanation for it was the no-explanation of random chance, the conceit that abstract somethings 'just happened' to be atoms that 'just happened' to get together in ways which 'just happened' to look like consistent laws and some configurations 'just happened' to possess self-awareness and that two 'just happened' to be the Man from Mars and a bald-headed old coot with Jubal inside.
- Robert A Heinlein
To me, my husband was my son's murderer. He was also my daughter's molester. A parasite nibbling on the Holy Book, he was Lucifer, holding me by the throat and driving me to sin every night. He was Bhai's destroyer, Amma Sain's tormentor, Ma's humbler and the people's exploiter. He was the rapist of orphans and the fiend that fed on the weak. But over and above all this, he was known to be the man closest to Allah, the one who could reach Him and save us.
- Tehmina Durrani
The function of education, therefore, is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. But education which stops with efficiency may prove the greatest menace to society. The most dangerous criminal may be the man gifted with reason, but with no morals.
- Martin Luther King Jr
He wasn't a hero. He wasn't the man who stepped forward and saved the innocent. He was lost himself. Shadows had invaded a long time ago and stolen his life. But he would give anything he had left to be the man who found a way to save Judith
- Christine Feehan
To be the man, you gotta beat the man!
- Ric Flair
Love makes you want to be a better man. But maybe love, real love, also gives you permission to just be the man you are.
- Gillian Flynn
claimed to be the man who wrote a certain book what was its name again?"
"Inkheart." Fenoglio rubbed his aching back. "Its title is Inkheart because it's about a man
whose wicked heart is as black as ink, filled with darkness and evil. I still like the title.
- Cornelia Funke
I am happy with what I do. I'd love to be the manager of the Atlanta Braves, but they hired somebody this week. So I'll just have to be inordinately happy with one of the best jobs on the planet.
- Robert Gibbs
Life itself, too, is forever turning an infinitely vacant, dispiriting blank side towards man on which nothing appears, any more than it does on a blank canvas. But no matter how vacant and vain, how dead life may appear to be, the man of faith, of energy, of warmth, who knows something, will not be put off so easily.
- Vincent Van Gogh
I would give anything, anything, to be the man to whom this has not happened. I can not accommodate myself to it. In a lifetime of trying, I can not accommodate myself to it.
And now I will have to be that person forever.
- Robert Goolrick
What to an outsider will be no more than the vigorous presentation of a conviction, to an employee may be the manifestation of a determination which it is not safe to thwart.
- Learned Hand
Maybe [the man who talks to himself] is normal and we're the crazy ones. Maybe everyone should talk to themselves. Maybe we're all just afraid of what we would say.
- Katie Kacvinsky
I could be the man of your dreams. I could also be the alarm clock, stealing you away from the man of your dreams.
- Jarod Kintz
If you just give me a chance, I could be the man you've never dreamed of and never wanted.
- Jarod Kintz
He was acting like the man he wanted to be, in hopes that he could become him. He would keep acting until he couldn't stand it anymore, and then he would be the man he was.
- Maile Meloy
I can't do this because I can't...I can't be the man I want to be with you. And that means that this - this just becomes...another reminder of what I am not.
- Jojo Moyes
Mikhal - ...most of all, I want to be the man that I am only when I am with you
- Mary Jo Putney
The word 'funny' is a bit like the word 'love' - we don't have enough words to describe the many varieties.
- George Saunders
Narcissist: psychoanalytic term for the person who loves himself more than his analyst; considered to be the manifestation of a dire mental disease whose successful treatment depends on the patient learning to love the analyst more and himself less.
- Thomas Szasz
When I grew up, people said, 'You'll never be the man your dad was.' And I said, 'Gee, I hope not.'
- Rip Torn
His lips touched mine again, breathing me in like I was his air, then he tore his mouth from mine; panting. Please Grace, whatever it is you're going after, please try to find it here in me. I will try my best to be the man that you need me to be.
- Christine Zolendz
Comments
Post a Comment