Mene mene tekel upsharin,' Jace said with a faint smile. 'You don't recognize it? It's from the Bible, vampire. The old one. That's your book, isn't it?'
Just because I'm Jewish doesn't mean I've memorized the Old Testament.'
It's the Writing on the Wall. "God hath numbered thy kingdom, and brought it to an end; thou art weighed in the balance and found wanting." It's a portent of doom--it means the end of an empire.
- Cassandra Clare
Did Gran go to a gynecologist? That is totally weird. I never thought about my grandmother's vagina before. I don't want to be thinking about my grandmother's vagina. Not here, at her funeral. In a church. While i'm doing a reading from the Bible.
- Meg Cabot
The very concept of sin comes from the Bible. Christianity offers to solve a problem of its own making! Would you be thankful to a person who cut you with a knife in order to sell you a bandage?
- Dan Barker
Here is individual responsibility and the invention of conscience. You can if you will but it is up to you. This little story(from the Bible)turns out to be one of the most profound in the world. I always felt it was,but now I know it is.
- John Steinbeck
dan brown\The televangelist began quoting verses from the Bible describing hierarchy of angels, demons, and spirits that ruled in heaven and hell. "Protect your souls from evil forces!" He warned them. "Lift your hearts in prayer! God and his angels will hear you!" He's right, Mal'akh knew. But so will the demons.
- Dan Brown
The broader problem is that a great deal of popular preaching and teaching uses the bible as a pegboard on which to hang a fair bit of Christianized pop psychology or moralizing encouragement, with very little effort to teach the faithful, from the Bible, the massive doctrines of historic confessional Christianity.
- D A Carson
Her profile as well as her stature and bearing seemed to gain the more dignity from her plain garments, which by the side of provincial fashion gave her the impressiveness of a fine quotation from the Bible,or from one of our elder poets,in a paragraph of to-day's newspaper.
- George Eliot
Down the hall is Ms Englander's classroom. She teachers World Civilization. Her walls are covered with images from the Bible, Greek Mythology, and fairy tales. Passing by, I see Eve at the tree, Pandora, Bluebeard's wife. All those women in stories opening boxes they're not supposed to, peeking through doors to see what they shouldn't, eating forbidden fruit. They do it because they want to know what's really going on. They want to feel alive. Why are they always told no?
- Mariah Fredericks
My very small part in WATCHMEN is that, every now and then, Alan would phone me: ''Neil, you're an educated man. Where does it say...''
He would need a quote from the Bible, or an essay about owls. I was his occasional research assistant.
- Neil Gaiman
He had won it as a child, playing Scriptural Jeopardy in his Sunday-school class. When faced with answers from the Bible, Ig had all the right questions.
- Joe Hill
Left Behind takes what to some people may be unbelievable predictions from the Bible and shows how they might play out. It makes the events of biblical prophecy understandable and thus believable.
- Jerry B Jenkins
Essentially this promise before curse, this superiority of God's love in Christ, must come from the Bible.
- Walter Lang
The Bible will keep you from sin, or sin will keep you from the Bible.
- Dwight L Moody
Mother calls up the stairs to ask what in the world I'm typing up there all day and I holler down, 'Just typing up some notes from the Bible study. Just writing down all the things I love about Jesus.
- Kathryn Stockett
The total absence of humor from the Bible is one of the most singular things in all literature.
- Alfred North Whitehead
Never preach a sermon without a text from the Bible, a text containing the theme which you can elaborate. The text is the best proof in support of your argument. A sermon without a text is an argument without a proof.
- Isaac Mayer Wise
Just because I'm Jewish doesn't mean I've memorized the Old Testament.'
It's the Writing on the Wall. "God hath numbered thy kingdom, and brought it to an end; thou art weighed in the balance and found wanting." It's a portent of doom--it means the end of an empire.
- Cassandra Clare
Did Gran go to a gynecologist? That is totally weird. I never thought about my grandmother's vagina before. I don't want to be thinking about my grandmother's vagina. Not here, at her funeral. In a church. While i'm doing a reading from the Bible.
- Meg Cabot
The very concept of sin comes from the Bible. Christianity offers to solve a problem of its own making! Would you be thankful to a person who cut you with a knife in order to sell you a bandage?
- Dan Barker
Here is individual responsibility and the invention of conscience. You can if you will but it is up to you. This little story(from the Bible)turns out to be one of the most profound in the world. I always felt it was,but now I know it is.
- John Steinbeck
dan brown\The televangelist began quoting verses from the Bible describing hierarchy of angels, demons, and spirits that ruled in heaven and hell. "Protect your souls from evil forces!" He warned them. "Lift your hearts in prayer! God and his angels will hear you!" He's right, Mal'akh knew. But so will the demons.
- Dan Brown
The broader problem is that a great deal of popular preaching and teaching uses the bible as a pegboard on which to hang a fair bit of Christianized pop psychology or moralizing encouragement, with very little effort to teach the faithful, from the Bible, the massive doctrines of historic confessional Christianity.
- D A Carson
Her profile as well as her stature and bearing seemed to gain the more dignity from her plain garments, which by the side of provincial fashion gave her the impressiveness of a fine quotation from the Bible,or from one of our elder poets,in a paragraph of to-day's newspaper.
- George Eliot
Down the hall is Ms Englander's classroom. She teachers World Civilization. Her walls are covered with images from the Bible, Greek Mythology, and fairy tales. Passing by, I see Eve at the tree, Pandora, Bluebeard's wife. All those women in stories opening boxes they're not supposed to, peeking through doors to see what they shouldn't, eating forbidden fruit. They do it because they want to know what's really going on. They want to feel alive. Why are they always told no?
- Mariah Fredericks
My very small part in WATCHMEN is that, every now and then, Alan would phone me: ''Neil, you're an educated man. Where does it say...''
He would need a quote from the Bible, or an essay about owls. I was his occasional research assistant.
- Neil Gaiman
He had won it as a child, playing Scriptural Jeopardy in his Sunday-school class. When faced with answers from the Bible, Ig had all the right questions.
- Joe Hill
Left Behind takes what to some people may be unbelievable predictions from the Bible and shows how they might play out. It makes the events of biblical prophecy understandable and thus believable.
- Jerry B Jenkins
Essentially this promise before curse, this superiority of God's love in Christ, must come from the Bible.
- Walter Lang
The Bible will keep you from sin, or sin will keep you from the Bible.
- Dwight L Moody
Mother calls up the stairs to ask what in the world I'm typing up there all day and I holler down, 'Just typing up some notes from the Bible study. Just writing down all the things I love about Jesus.
- Kathryn Stockett
The total absence of humor from the Bible is one of the most singular things in all literature.
- Alfred North Whitehead
Never preach a sermon without a text from the Bible, a text containing the theme which you can elaborate. The text is the best proof in support of your argument. A sermon without a text is an argument without a proof.
- Isaac Mayer Wise
Comments
Post a Comment