Life isn't like the movies. People don't change overnight. people don't go from arrogant and self-righteous to ashamed and remorseful. They don't suddenly give in when they've spent years taking out. No doesn't magically become a Yes.
- Randa Abdel Fattah
My mother had to send me to the movies with my birth certificate, so that I wouldn't have to pay the extra fifty cents that the adults had to pay.
- Kareem Abduljabbar
I was in television drama, which is a first cousin to the movies, and I trust myself to make the right decisions.
- Lee Child
Yes, I'm going to be the President of the United States. You know why? You think you can get chicks by being in the movies? You can really get chicks by being the President.
- Ben Affleck
I just saw the movie for the first time in its entirely last night. It's really cool when you're in with an audience that's so tuned in and plugged in to what's going on.
- Sasha Alexander
The production team's first meeting took place at my house. I had ideas and a color scheme in mind, how I wanted the movie to look, because that has to be a real collaboration.
- Debbie Allen
The riot isn't seen in the movie, but it is alluded to. He has this one speech that gives a great sense of texture and paints a picture of what was happening in Harlem then.
- Debbie Allen
That's the only way I can control my movie. If you shoot everything, then everything is liable to end up in the movie. If you have a vision, you don't have to cover every scene.
- Debbie Allen
People some times say that the way things happen in the movies is unreal, but actually its the way things happen to you in real life thats unreal. The movies make emotions look so strong and real, whereas when things really do happen to you, its like watching television. You don't feel anything.
- Andy Warhol
It's the movies that have really been running things in America ever since they were invented. They show you what to do, how to do it, when to do it, how to feel about it, and how to look how you feel about it.
- Andy Warhol
People sometimes say that the way things happen in the movies is unreal, but actually, it's the way things happen to you in life that's unreal. The movies make emotions look strong and real, whereas when things really do happen to you, it's like you're watching television -- you don't feel anything.
- Andy Warhol
Do you have someone watching her house?" (Stephanie)
"That kind of surveillance only happens in the movies. We're so underbudgeted we're one step away from
holding bake sales to pay for toilet paper. (Morelli)
- Janet Evanovich
You got to be pretty thin to be in the movies, or it helps. I would actually love to do it.
- Gregg Allman
I think we're tremendously different than the series, if they were to tune in to the series after seeing the movie they might be disappointed. That there was, you know, that they might have some kind of adverse reaction.
- Gillian Anderson
In the movies, Bette Davis lights two cigarettes and hands the second one to James Cagney. It was just so glamorous and romantic.
- Loni Anderson
I don't know what is in store for the movie business any better than anybody else does, but it does seem like my kind of movies are a little trickier than it used to be - or maybe a lot trickier.
- Wes Anderson
I likedLost in Space ," Stefan said.
"The movie or the TV series?"
"The movie? Right. I had forgotten about the movie," he said soberly. "It was better that way.
- Patricia Briggs
We are the movies and the movies are us.
- David Ansen
I've had movies bomb with terrible reviews, I've had movies make a lot of money with terrible reviews, I've had movies get good reviews and make money. And I like it best when the movies do well and the reviewers like them.
- Judd Apatow
The thing that is incredibly helpful is that we screen the movies and we ask the audience if they like it or not and we ask a lot of questions and do testing on the movies. For comedies, at least, it's very helpful. If they're not laughing and they don't say that they loved it, then I have screwed up.
- Judd Apatow
One of the reasons to do documentaries is that. There's more sense of creating something, more sense of my own soul in the documentaries than in movies, because I don't write the movies I do.
- Michael Apted
On the first movie we got good reviews, but we were still dealing with genre stuff. It's going away. Judge the movie - is it a good one or a bad one? We know we made a great movie and it's being judged for just being a good film.
- Avi Arad
Who-who are you?" Seth asked, hesitantly."Wh-what do you want?" How else was was I supposed to reply? The words were out of my mouth before I could stop them.I mean, I'd only seen the movie like seventeen times.
"I'm Luke Skywalker," I said. "I'm here to rescue you.
- Meg Cabot
And I'm going to tell the truth: I didn't like that Sean Penn movie Into the Wild so much.
Yes! I know it was critically acclaimed. I know it won all these awards! It's very sad that a boy is dead and all. But I thought the movie Enchanted, with the singing princess and the chipmunk and the people dancing in Central Park, was cuter.
So there!
- Meg Cabot
That's enough of that," Jesse said. Next thing I knew, he'd scooped me up.
Only instead of carrying me to my bed and setting me down on it all romantically, you know, like guys do to girls in the movies, he just dumped me onto it, so I bounced around and would have fallen off if I hadn't grabbed the edge of the mattress.
"Thanks," I said, not quite able to keep all of the sarcasm out of my voice.
- Meg Cabot
I couldn't take much more of this. Being the object two men competed for wasn't as glamorous as it sounded in the movies. The two men who both wanted one hundred percent of my time weren't dashing, international playboys. They were undead and surprisingly immature, considering the youngest was just over a hundred years old.
- Jennifer Armintrout
The movies that I did in the '80s were either good or bad, but I never was oppressed with any feeling - I mean, I thought it was ridiculous to play high school or college students when I was 30. But at the same time, that was really done then.
- Curtis Armstrong
There's no way I'm going to put this kid in the movies, because of the rejection. It's so hard as an adult, so why set her up to feel that bad as a child?
- Rosanna Arquette
You know, I never expected to enter the movie business.
- Christopher Atkins
I had a lot of coaching for the movie and no, I have never sung professionally before.
- Christopher Atkins
I feel like soundtrack music is almost like seeing the movie again, but with my ears.
- Dave Attell
In other words, if you - the cost of promoting movies, the advertising and promotion of a movie, the budget is almost as large as the cost of the movie.
- Richard Attenborough
Pier Angeli was in the movie called Sea of Sand that Guy Green directed where this idea came up.
- Richard Attenborough
When I am lonely for boys it's their bodies I miss. I study their hands lifting the cigarettes in the darkness of the movie theaters, the slope of a shoulder, the angle of a hip. Looking at them sideways, I examine them in different lights. My love for them is visual: that is the the part of them I would like to possess.
- Margaret Atwood
I like to go shopping, to the movies, all the girl stuff. Just a normal girl.
- Victoria Azarenka
I don't watch the movies I make, so I haven't seen 'Footloose' since it came out. You see this young, hungry actor, it's pretty fun. I was the only one they screen tested. It was an attempt by the director and producer to talk the head of the studio into hiring me because they didn't want me.
- Kevin Bacon
When the movie was done, Number Five was crated up. Eric took him over to Germany; displayed him over there because Germans really liked this movie. It was very popular with them.
- John Badham
My dad was born in Chicago in 1908... his parents came from Russia. They settled in Chicago, where they lived in a little tiny grocery store with eight or nine children - in the backroom all together - and my grandmother got the idea to go into the movie business.
- Bob Balaban
The interesting thing about a movie is the movie.
- Christian Bale
Too many poets act like a middle-aged mother trying to get her kids to eat too much cooked meat, and potatoes with drippings (tears). I don't give a damn whether they eat or not. Forced feeding leads to excessive thinness (effete). Nobody should experience anything they don't need to, if they don't need poetry bully for them. I like the movies too. And after all, only Whitman and Crane and Williams, of the American poets, are better than the movies.
- Frank O Hara
They allow us to disrespect our Black woman. A lot of these things would be considered criminal if it were to be carried out in the streets. That's like when they tell you after you buy your VHS and you rent movies they tell you not to copy the movies.
- Afrika Bambaataa
The movies people don't talk about or remember after six months' time don't really matter.
- Eric Bana
I think Shrek makes an effect in older people. And there are many things in the movie that you saw that are not for kids. Kids would not understand certain things.
- Antonio Banderas
Bill Hanna and I owe an awful lot to television, but we both got our start and built the first phase of our partnership in the movies.
- Joseph Barbera
I have this problem with violence. I've only done one movie in almost 20 years where I killed people. It's called Perdita Durango. It's a Spanish movie. I'm very proud of the movie, but I felt weird doing that.
- Javier Bardem
The award is important in order to bring people to the movie theater. That's the only principle meaning of any award.
- Javier Bardem
Jackass: The Movie is great. I think it's in the tradition of physical comedy, which I'm really interested in. Its relationship to gravity, and how gravity acts on the body.
- Matthew Barney
Hey, T-Rex? Remind me next time I want to get smartass with you that it's a really stupid move on my part? (Talon)
Oh, no, you don't, you wuss. You told me the next time you saw Ash you were going to ask him if he'd seen the movie 10,000 BC and if it'd made him homesick. (Wulf)
- Sherrilyn Kenyon
I prefer sidekick. I tried once for the title of Padawan, but Bubba wigged out saying that mentors are always killed off in books and movies and he'd be damned if he was going to die once he taught me everything I needed to know about killing zombies. (Mark)
Then why let you be his sidekick? Isn't that the same thing? (Nick)
Uh, no. In the movies, the sidekicks are the ones who die. (Mark)
- Sherrilyn Kenyon
This is the age of insincerity. The movies had the misfortune to come along in the twentieth century, and because they appeal to the masses there can be no sincerity in them.
- Lionel Barrymore
I wasn't hanging around the movie theaters in New York where I grew up, a Manhattan brat.
- Peter Bart
Analyses of the movie marketplace points to an interesting phenomenon: High-profile movies are continuing to do well year-to-year in the U.S. and overseas - this past summer, for example, the top 10 movies registered at the same level as in '04.
- Peter Bart
Ever since the movie premiered at Cannes, I've had a sudden surge of scripts and interest.
- Berenice Bejo
Now, all the movies are for teenagers. It's very difficult for an actress to find really deep, beautiful characters to play.
- Monica Bellucci
When I first saw a Fellini movie, I came out of the movie theatre and decided to become a lawyer! I thought to myself, it's impossible to make something so beautiful!
- Roberto Benigni
I wished I stayed at the movies, where I could have at least had some popcorn with my drama.
- Robin Benway
The movie creaked along, obvious and mediocre plot. Mediocre script, mediocre music. They ought to have sealed the thing in a time capsule and marked "Late 20th Century Mediocrity" and buried it somewhere.
- Haruki Murakami
In LA I was watching At the Movies with Ebert and Roper, it was, nice to see them differentiate between the subject matter and the art form of making the film, and they both gave it thumbs up, and I was kind of pleased at their honesty as far as reviewers go.
- Michael Berryman
But I don't just see the movie when I see the movie, I see all the great people who worked on it and all their hard work, because they could not have worked any harder.
- Brad Bird
When I am working on a movie, all I want to talk about is the movie. All I want to be with are the movie people. It's like a clan. If I'm asked to people's houses for dinner, I hate to go, because they'll talk about other things.
- Jacqueline Bisset
I love the movie "Titanic." It's my favorite romantic comedy!
- Troy Bisson
The movie Spinal Tap rocked my world. It's for rock what The Sound of Music was for hills. They really nailed how dumb rock can be.
- Jack Black
This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.
- Holly Black
It's fun to go to the movies and be scared.
- Selma Blair
Yes. Smashing. You'll be just like those four chaps in the movie. You know the one, with the oversized marshmallow.
- Kendare Blake
I've been campaigning like anything for restoring these changes. For 27 years. I wrote a book about it, well, a portion of the book was devoted to these scenes and why they should have been in the movie.
- William Peter Blatty
This was not a faerie tale. This was not the movies. This was life. It hurt more. It was excruciating. It was excruciatingly beautiful.
- Francesca Lia Block
This was not a fairy tale. This was not the movies. This was life. It hurt more. It was excruciating. It was excruciatingly beautiful.
- Francesca Lia Block
This was not a fearie tale. This was not the movies. This was life. It hurt more. It was excruciating. It was excruciatingly beautiful.
- Francesca Lia Block
There's got to be something that you can do that will not just be a nice honor to the play, or the book, or the movie you're dealing with, but some aspect that maybe can explore something that the play couldn't do.
- William Bolcom
Take the hardcore gamers. The characters are way more real in the world of hardcore gamers who have played the game for hundreds of hours. They have the movie in their heads, they've built it on their own. These guys are always very disappointed in the movies.
- Uwe Boll
In The Name of the King is the right title. To be honest, I don't know who had the final idea for the title but I liked it and it has a strong connection to the movie's story.
- Uwe Boll
He asked me whether I had seen the movie 'The Color Purple.' I said no she hadn't. And Bobby said, 'Well, it's a terrible picture. They don't make good, decent, moral pictures nowadays.'
- Tommy Bond
We're all complex human beings, and if some of that complexity shows through, I think it's advantageous for the movie.
- Jan De Bont
Angelina wanted to make sure that any fighting in the movie would be comparable to any male actor. Everything from stick fighting to horse riding was real to her.
- Jan De Bont
In regards to The Haunting, people compared it to the old movie, which is unfair. We didn't have the rights to the movie. I couldn't duplicate a single thing because that would have been legal infringement.
- Jan De Bont
Actually when I gave out the script, I gave it with a CD of all the music I wanted to put in the movie, and again, we never thought we'd get all that music.
- Zach Braff
I didn't necessarily have a total idea when I was writing the movie of where everything was going. I just wanted to have really realistic dialogue and write like people I knew talked. I tried to keep it very real.
- Zach Braff
The opera was stylish and the movie a thriller,
But, I had to buy a new dress and the popcorn was stale,
After the show, all I had left was my empty pocket.
For me, I have decided simple pleasures will do,
A walk in the park, a cup of coffee and a good book too,
My friends, you may find these to be a sound investment too.
www.nancybbrewer.com
- Nancy B Brewer
The things I enjoy most as I watch the movie are the things that came through without even thinking.
- Beau Bridges
I feel bad about a lot of the movies I see that teach kids that if they do bad, they'll win.
- Morgan Brittany
In the past I'd always felt like 'the girl' in the show or the movie. On 'Friday Night Lights' there were a bunch of girls, and I was the woman. Initially there was a little struggle with my identity around that. But now there's a sense of ease.
- Connie Britton
And in a world without heroes, as the movie trailer voice-over guy might say, the slightly awkward can be slightly cool.
- Adam Brody
Even if you didn't see the movie, you'd see two words you'd never seen put together before - comedy and Muslim. Comedy is friendly - it's the least offensive word in our language.
- Albert Brooks
Serial killers are everywhere! Well, perhaps not in our neighborhood, but on our television screens, at the movie theatres, and in rows and rows of books at our local Borders or Barnes and Noble Booksellers.
- Pat Brown
A guy out there was meant to be the love of your life, your best friend, your soul mate, the one you can tell your dreams to. He'll brush the hair out of your eyes. Send you flowers when you least expect it. He'll stare at you during the movies, even though he paid $8 to see it. He'll call to say goodnight or just cause he's missing you. He'll look in your eyes and tell you, you're the most beautiful girl in the world, and for the first times in your life, you'll believe it.
- Nicholas Sparks
And usually the studios they don't want you to have credit for your movies because they want to take credit for the movies because if you get credit for your movies they've got to pay you more.
- Jerry Bruckheimer
What will you do?"
"Oh, hell, I'll write a novel about writing the screenplay and making the movie."
"What are you going to call it?"
"Hollywood."
"Hollywood?"
"Yes..."
And here it is. (Hollywood, pg. 239)
- Charles Bukowski
Coach Hedge shouted, 'Let the movie star go, you big ugly cupcake! Or I'm gonna plant my hoof right up your..
- Rick Riordan
More like the movie where the guy meets a smart girl who wears a lot of sweaters and drinks cocoa. They talk about books and issues and kiss in the rain.
- Stephen Chbosky
I mean it's not like in the movies where girls like assholes or anything like that. It's not that easy. They just like somebody that can give them a purpose.
- Stephen Chbosky
The movie itself was very interesting, but I didn't think it was very good because I didn't really feel different when it was over.
- Stephen Chbosky
My grandmother and I followed my mother here, to a house a block north of Hollywood Boulevard but a million miles away from Hollywood, if you know what I mean. We would hang out behind the ropes and look at the movie stars arriving at the premieres.
- Carol Burnett
Well, honestly, the films I personally like to go see are smaller, more character-driven pieces, so that's why the movies I've made have been smaller, more character-driven movies.
- Edward Burns
I mean the cool thing about the movies is that you get to try on these different personalities and different styles.
- Edward Burns
But even with my minimal amount of fame, there are certain perks. Recently, I was at a movie premier, and at the party after the movie, Meryl Streep was loose, walking around the room like a normal person. Absolutely nothing was preventing me from lunging toward her and shrieking Dingoes ate my baby! Dingoes ate my baby!
- Augusten Burroughs
Any fable or fairytale has some sort of reality in it. That's why I think I love the form of fantasy or fairytale, is that you're able to kind of put things in there and let people sort of, discover their own emotion, discover their own sort of feelings about things. Or make their own lessons from it.'
--Tim Burton
At the Movies
Nov. 17, 2005
- Tim Burton
I don't know what it was, maybe the movie theaters in my immediate surrounding neighbourhood in Burbank, but I never saw what would be considered A movies.
- Tim Burton
Trees Lounge is based on my own life. Both my parents like the movie. My father, of course, thinks it's a masterpiece.
- Steve Buscemi
It was one of those moments that would have had dramatic music if my life were a movie, but instead I got a radio jingle for some kind of submarine sandwich place blaring over the store's ambient stereo. The movie of my life must be really low-budget.
- Jim Butcher
What's with that?' Butters screamed, his voice high and frightened. 'Just covering his head with his arms? Didn't he see the lawyer in the movie?
- Jim Butcher
The movie of my life must be really low budget.
- Jim Butcher
Angelina came up, and as soon as we said hello, I thought, This is going to be great. I'm really going to love doing this with her. And I did. And then I was very excited to do the movie after that.
- Gerard Butler
I had to skydive for the movie and I was terrified. Like everybody, I thought it was going to be one of those experiences that changes your life. It didn't.
- Yancy Butler
People have a preconceived notion about who I am and it's interesting. It's like picking who you want to win for the Oscars and not seeing the movie. Before you make a statement about someone, get all the information and see everything before you make a judgment.
- Amanda Bynes
For true downtime, I enjoy going for light runs, having drinks with friends and going to the movies with my husband.
- Emily Giffin
And at the end of the day, if the movie's no good, I'll live to fight another day.
- Scott Caan
I have eclectic tastes in the movies I want to do.
- Nicolas Cage
And what I like about it is it makes me happy and I think it makes a lot of people happy to go to the movies and to not think about the problems of the day or the problems of tomorrow or the yesterday and just go on for the ride and have the fun of losing oneself in a fantasy.
- Nicolas Cage
Did you see my ninja move?That was fast, right?"
"You are not a ninja, Shane."
"I've watched all the movies. I just haven't gotten the certificate from the correspondence course yet.
- Rachel Caine
You can't be serious," Eve said. "Guys. People get eaten in places like this. At the very least, we get locked in a room and terrible, evil things get done to us and put on the Internet. I've seen the movies."
Eve," Michael said, "horror movies are not documentaries.
- Rachel Caine
Ay-firmative,' Eve said, and tried for a smile. 'Sorry. An Aliens reference always makes me feel better at times like this. Exept I'm not sure I'm the one who lives through the movie.
- Rachel Caine
My wife comes with me on all the movies, but she is not an appendage to a film star or anything like that. She is a completely intertwined partner. She is the other half of me. Also, we're still very much in love with each other. We always have been, we always will be.
- Michael Caine
When they make the movie of your life
they're going to have to ask you
to do your own stunts
because nobody, nobody, nobody, nobody
could pull off the same shit as you
and still come out alright
- Bill Callahan
I never get recognized for 'Mean Girls.' I can be walking around with Daniel Franzese, who's in the movie and a friend of mine, and people will come up to him and start freaking out and have no idea who I am.
- Lizzy Caplan
Everything I learned I learned from the movies.
- Audrey Hepburn
We've decided that your birthday present will be a car", said Marion.
Danny was touched. "But the thing I can't figure out is, why would I need a new car?"
"You can't very well gate a girl to the movies, Danny," Leslie replied.
"I think you're overlooking the biggest point here," said Danny. "I don't need a CAR so I can date. I need a GIRL.
- Orson Scott Card
It was considered oh, not proper for children to go to the movies.
- Kitty Carlisle
I was born in New Orleans, and I wasn't allowed to go to the movies.
- Kitty Carlisle
My big fight is not in the movie and I don't understand that decision but I know he's right about it, whatever it is. Quentin did not hire me because I'm a kung fu expert; he hired me because he liked to listen to me talk.
- David Carradine
Violence is so terribly fast... the most perverse thing about the movies is the way they portray it in slow motion, allowing it to be something sensuous... the viewer's lips slightly wet as the scene plays out. Violence is nothing like that. It is lightning fast, chaotic, and totally intangible.
- Jim Carroll
...nothing ever happens quickly (except when it does). Nothing is ever, ever easy (except when it is). And, most of all, nothing ever goes perfectly according to plan (except in the movies).
- Ally Carter
You were the living image of the entire Platonic shadow show, an illusion that could fill my emptiness with marvellous, imaginary things as long as, just as long as, the movie lasted, and then all would all vanish.
- Angela Carter
Even in 2012, if there's a black character in the movies or on television that's a professional, if we even hear about their backgrounds they're always 'up from the streets.'
- Stephen Carter
It really comes down to the fact that, because I was perceived as a bad guy for leaving the show, I think people were rooting against the movies. That was really unfortunate.
- David Caruso
You can crab over the morning paper and kick the shins of the guy in the next seat at the movies and feel mean and discouraged and sneer at the politicians but there are a lot of nice people in the world just the same.
- Raymond Chandler
This movie will actually increase the sex life of parents everywhere because they can put this on, with the 45 minutes of extras and they've got almost two hours to do whatever they've got to do while the kids watch the movie.
- Dana Carvey
We do have a problem in this country. You can either make a movie and ignore that, or you can acknowledge it and say, this is the water that we're living in. You know this - the movie lives in this - it's centered around this particular problem, and I chose to acknowledge it.
- Nick Cassavetes
It had not occured to me to mourn losing those things until now. I had done each of those things, somewhere along the way, for a last time - without realizing it was the last time. And even after I knew that I was no longer a child, somehow I'd assumed those things could have come back to me. Or that I could have gone back to them. But watching the movies on this day, I became aware of infinite losses.
- Katherine Center
I was striving to be the most muscular man, and it got me into the movies. It got me everything that I have.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger
I had still never read one of the Bond books when the movie Dr. No came out.
- Leslie Charteris
I love the movies, and when I go to see a movie that's been made from one of my books, I know that it isn't going to be exactly like my novel because a lot of other people have interpreted it. But I also know it has an idea that I'll like because that idea occurred to me, and I spent a year, or a year and a half of my life working on it.
- Stephen King
The wonder is that so many OCDs manage to live productive lives, just the same. They work, they eat (often not enough or too much, it's true), they go to the movies, they make love to their girlfriends and boyfriends, their wives and husbands... and all the time those birds are there, clinging to them and pecking away little bits of flesh.
- Stephen King
Why do I use the same actors in different movies? One of the things I really stress in casting is I need to find someone who is suitable for the role in the movie. That's always the main reason.
- Stephen Chow
Last summer when we were preparing for the movie, I actually kind of wanted to stay fairly uninformed about it. As we went through the process that we do in the movie, I wanted to be a little wide-eyed.
- Thomas Haden Church
I enjoy doing press for something that I like, and I think the movie is very fun and charming and clever.
- Thomas Haden Church
The title of the movie is open to interpretation.
- Thomas Haden Church
But I think once the word gets out that the movie is funny - funny is transcendent - it will traverse all demographic barriers if people embrace it as a funny movie.
- Thomas Haden Church
The most intimate moments in the world don't happen in nightclubs or backstage or even on the movie screen. They were moments like this: sitting silently, comfortably, holding hands on a darkened bedroom floor.
- Georgia Clark
Usually, when I do a soundtrack, the music from the movie doesn't have anything to do with me personally. It's music to enhance to the film. My own stuff is more introspective and about what's on going in my head.
- Stanley Clarke
Once more Jane sat staring at the telephone. This time she was filled with a confidence that was new to her. Stan Crandall. Stanley Crandall. He liked her! He had seen her once, and even though had been rumpled and grass-stained and having a terrible time with Sandra, he liked her well enough to go to the trouble of finding out her name and calling to ask her to go to the movies. Jane smiled at the telephone and gave a sigh of happiness
- Beverly Cleary
I know this is probably sort of sudden." The boy hesitated. "But I was wodnering if you would care to go to the movies with me tomorrow night.
- Beverly Cleary
It seems astounding to me now that the video games are perhaps as important as the movie themselves. And people will spend 2 or 3 years obsessing about the video game in exactly the same way that they'd be obsessing about the movie if they were working on that.
- John Cleese
I knew the term Stepford Wife, and I knew what that meant. I never read the book, and I think before I started filming I watched the movie. I thought it was very dated.
- Glenn Close
I've spent several years in Hollywood, and I still think the movie heroes are in the audience.
- Wilson Mizner
When the movie's done, you talk about either the score or source music over a particular scene, what might work. You just throw a piece of music over the scene, and we both listen to it.
- Ethan Coen
Some people come out going, I don't get it. And I don't quite know what they're trying to get, what they're struggling for. We have had the reaction where people leave the movie sort of uncomfortable and befuddled. Although that wasn't our intention.
- Joel Coen
The question is: Where would it get you if something that's a little bit ambiguous in the movie is made clear? It doesn't get you anywhere.
- Joel Coen
We've been remarkably lucky in that we've been free to make the movies we've wanted to make the way we've wanted to make them. They've all been made for a price.
- Joel Coen
It's a depressing habit you have of loving to sneeze and of eating apples as if they were juicier for you and being the first one to exclaim how good the movie is. You depress people. We like apples too.
- Leonard Cohen
All of my books have the potential to become movies, it's just a question of finding a studio who wants to get behind me and put up the money to make the movie.
- Jackie Collins
When inspiration does not come, I go for a walk, go to the movie, talk to a friend, let go... The muse is bound to return again, especially if I turn my back!
- Judy Collins
I'm no longer dependent on the movie business to make a living. So if I want to make movies as other old guys would play golf, I can.
- Francis Ford Coppola
They needed someone to write a script of The Great Gatsby very quickly for the movie they were making. I took this job so I'd be sure to have some dough to support my family.
- Francis Ford Coppola
People feel the worst film I made was 'Jack.' But to this day, when I get checks from old movies I've made, 'Jack' is one of the biggest ones. No one knows that. If people hate the movie, they hate the movie. I just wanted to work with Robin Williams.
- Francis Ford Coppola
First of all, just knowing people who grew up in the movie business at that time, no one had Mexican maids.
- Bill Condon
In the back of your mind, when you say you want to write music for the movies, you're saying that you want a big house, a big car and a boat. If you just wanted to write music, you could live in Kansas and do it.
- Bill Conti
I finished the movie a month ago in downtown Los Angeles. I had a lot of fun doing it.
- Coolio
If you look at anybody who's had along career, if you look at the choices they've made - even if the movies haven't worked - they've always worked with great filmmakers.
- Bradley Cooper
In a film score, the last thing you want to do is take people out of the movie. The music is secondary. In opera, the music is the main event.
- Stewart Copeland
I'm not going to tell you the movies, but I remember getting halfway through the thing and everything sort of tunnel-visioned on me and I couldn't read the script anymore. I looked at the people and I just turned and ran out in a cold sweat. It took me about a year to study it and feel comfortable going in and reading for people.
- John Corbett
I'm proud of all the movies I've made. They're not sequels, they're not franchises. And the reason I pick my films carefully is that I don't want to spit on my life. I like to think of myself as more than that.
- Kevin Costner
It really is no different in the way that we make records and shoot music videos. I don't think of the movie as being a great leap out of my current profession.
- Wayne Coyne
I just felt that you can't have a character fall in love so madly as they did in the last movie and not finish it off, understand it, get some closure. That's why the movie is called 'Quantum of Solace' - that's exactly what he's looking for.
- Daniel Craig
I never go outside unless I look like Joan Crawford the movie star. If you want to see the girl next door, go next door.
- Joan Crawford
She had been living like a hermit herself, in a cramped, seedy apartment in Somerville, spending long hours in the lab. All-nighters had become a regular thing. She didn't have any close friends, didn't go out on dates, didn't even go to the movies by herself. She had sacrificed a normal life in order to get a PhD, and become a scientist.
- Michael Crichton
I don't take the movies seriously, and anyone who does is in for a headache.
- Bette Davis
The only reason anyone goes to Broadway is because they can't get work in the movies.
- Bette Davis
But with my last film, Spider it was agony. The money was always disappearing, nobody got paid, it was very difficult - and it's very distracting from the process of making the movie, of course. So I think things have been getting harder and harder.
- David Cronenberg
My father being in the movie business, I thought being an actor would be great. But when I started singing to people in coffeehouses, you know, singing folk music and then, later, singing songs that I started to write myself, I felt more than an affinity for it.
- David Crosby
I feel the film companies should pay for proper advertising to see that the movie will sell, instead of putting it on our backs.
- Billy Crudup
She slid out from under his arm, and picked up his shirt from the floor. When she put it on, it failed to meet in the middle over her chest. that always worked in the movies, she thought, disgusted, and dropped it on the floor.
- Jennifer Crusie
Rome is magic, it's like being in Hollywood. But the difference between Hollywood and Rome is that here you don't have just the movie business. The movie business is so little, so you also have the choice to hang out with people who do different kinds of business.
- Maria Grazia Cucinotta
He was so excited. He cut out pictures of these landscapes and neighborhoods and kind of really tried to give you a feel of the movie. It was kind of cute but at the same time it really showed his enthusiasm for it.
- Macaulay Culkin
I've had it happen to me before where it turns out that they never had the money and couldn't have made the movie in the first place. And these are the things you have to look for when trying to read the behavior of the people you sit down with.
- Robert Culp
Hollywood is the backdrop of my family, and I know that the movie business is incredibly cruel as you get older.
- Jamie Lee Curtis
I've been in the movies for 50 years, I've made 130 some-odd movies.
- Tony Curtis
Now I'm a painter. That was another opportunity I was able to pursue, I've been painting all my life, now it's become a second career because of my success in the movies.
- Tony Curtis
The movie business is very twisted, out of site, out of mind, you know.
- Tony Curtis
I'm world famous, everywhere I go there are people who love me because of I've been able to bring them some joy from the movies I've made.
- Tony Curtis
I love these movies where it's just about the film. You don't have my face on the poster. It's all about the movie. I like that.
- John Cusack
I go into every film not just wanting to play the hot girl in the movie. It kills me.
- Elisha Cuthbert
I don't ever want to be doing the same sort of thing, I never want to be typecast, because I have way too much to give to be sort of, to always be the hot chick in the movie.
- Elisha Cuthbert
It's amazing that for actors mostly, it's a risk to attach yourself to a film that you don't know whether or not it's going to even be made and if you sign on, in doing so, who else is going to be in the movie with you.
- Elisha Cuthbert
I have realized that I hate going to the premieres of the movies that I'm in. Because I feel this tension after the movie is over that everyone feels obligated to say something nice to you. It's so unnatural and uncomfortable.
- Amanda Seyfried
What really helps a guy to become an action hero today is the directing of the movie. All those fast cuts.
- Jean Claude Van Damme
I would sign on for projects that were meant to shoot in July, and then they would postponed and they would bleed into the following semester, and then I'd take a semester off, and then the movie would collapse.
- Claire Danes
A director shouldn't get in the way of the movie, the story should.
- Frank Darabont
Because of the movies nobody will believe that it was babies who fought the war.
- Kurt Vonnegut
The American fliers turned in their uniforms, became high school kids. And Hitler turned into a baby, Billy Pilgrim supposed. That wasn't in the movie. Billy was extrapolating. Everybody turned into a baby, and all humanity, without exception, conspired biologically to produce two perfect people named Adam and Eve, he supposed.
- Kurt Vonnegut
How people are around a director, it really does affect everything, every detail of the life of the movie.
- Daniel Daylewis
I see a lot of movies. I love films as a spectator, and that's never obscured by the part of me that does the work myself. I just love going to the movies.
- Daniel Daylewis
I wasn't looking to get into TV. My family was in the movie business, so I was never interested in that world.
- Giada De Laurentiis
Doctor, do you read the Harry Potter books?"
"Well, as a matter of fact, yes, I have."
"The fourth was my favorite. What was yours?"
"Umm, I don't know really."
"Is it possible," the prosecutor asked the witness, "that those writings of Mr. Kobel are merely attempts at writing a novel? Some big fantasy book."
"I...I can't imagine it."
"But it's possible, isn't it?"
"I suppose. But I'll tell you, he'll never sell the movie rights.
- Jeffery Deaver
There's the life and there's the consumer event. Everything around us tends to channel our lives toward some final reality in print or on film. Two lovers quarrel in the back of a taxi and a question becomes implicit in the event. Who will write the book and who will play the lovers in the movie? Everything seeks its own heightened version.
- Don Delillo
Was he at the movies to see a movie, she said, or maybe more narrowly, more essentially, simply to be at the movies?
- Don Delillo
That night, after the movie, driving my father's car along the country roads, I began to wonder ho real the landscape truly was, and how much of a dream is a dream.
- Don Delillo
I love vampire stories. That's why I did the movie. Women especially were taken with that movie-even more so when it came out on video.
- Catherine Deneuve
I live very normally, I go out with my friends, we go to the movies, I queue, we go to restaurants.
- Catherine Deneuve
I go to the movies a lot, and I regret when I see some actor that I used to like, to find them offering no more surprises.
- Catherine Deneuve
She needed Jay to go with her. Because despite her bold words about doing it by herself, it was all just a bluff. She really wasn't sure if she could do it on her own. "All right," he finally agreed, flashing her the same stupid grin that always made her heart stutter, even though he still seemed uncertain. "How about we start by going to the movies tonight? We can make sure the theater is safe.
- Kimberly Derting
- Randa Abdel Fattah
My mother had to send me to the movies with my birth certificate, so that I wouldn't have to pay the extra fifty cents that the adults had to pay.
- Kareem Abduljabbar
I was in television drama, which is a first cousin to the movies, and I trust myself to make the right decisions.
- Lee Child
Yes, I'm going to be the President of the United States. You know why? You think you can get chicks by being in the movies? You can really get chicks by being the President.
- Ben Affleck
I just saw the movie for the first time in its entirely last night. It's really cool when you're in with an audience that's so tuned in and plugged in to what's going on.
- Sasha Alexander
The production team's first meeting took place at my house. I had ideas and a color scheme in mind, how I wanted the movie to look, because that has to be a real collaboration.
- Debbie Allen
The riot isn't seen in the movie, but it is alluded to. He has this one speech that gives a great sense of texture and paints a picture of what was happening in Harlem then.
- Debbie Allen
That's the only way I can control my movie. If you shoot everything, then everything is liable to end up in the movie. If you have a vision, you don't have to cover every scene.
- Debbie Allen
People some times say that the way things happen in the movies is unreal, but actually its the way things happen to you in real life thats unreal. The movies make emotions look so strong and real, whereas when things really do happen to you, its like watching television. You don't feel anything.
- Andy Warhol
It's the movies that have really been running things in America ever since they were invented. They show you what to do, how to do it, when to do it, how to feel about it, and how to look how you feel about it.
- Andy Warhol
People sometimes say that the way things happen in the movies is unreal, but actually, it's the way things happen to you in life that's unreal. The movies make emotions look strong and real, whereas when things really do happen to you, it's like you're watching television -- you don't feel anything.
- Andy Warhol
Do you have someone watching her house?" (Stephanie)
"That kind of surveillance only happens in the movies. We're so underbudgeted we're one step away from
holding bake sales to pay for toilet paper. (Morelli)
- Janet Evanovich
You got to be pretty thin to be in the movies, or it helps. I would actually love to do it.
- Gregg Allman
I think we're tremendously different than the series, if they were to tune in to the series after seeing the movie they might be disappointed. That there was, you know, that they might have some kind of adverse reaction.
- Gillian Anderson
In the movies, Bette Davis lights two cigarettes and hands the second one to James Cagney. It was just so glamorous and romantic.
- Loni Anderson
I don't know what is in store for the movie business any better than anybody else does, but it does seem like my kind of movies are a little trickier than it used to be - or maybe a lot trickier.
- Wes Anderson
I likedLost in Space ," Stefan said.
"The movie or the TV series?"
"The movie? Right. I had forgotten about the movie," he said soberly. "It was better that way.
- Patricia Briggs
We are the movies and the movies are us.
- David Ansen
I've had movies bomb with terrible reviews, I've had movies make a lot of money with terrible reviews, I've had movies get good reviews and make money. And I like it best when the movies do well and the reviewers like them.
- Judd Apatow
The thing that is incredibly helpful is that we screen the movies and we ask the audience if they like it or not and we ask a lot of questions and do testing on the movies. For comedies, at least, it's very helpful. If they're not laughing and they don't say that they loved it, then I have screwed up.
- Judd Apatow
One of the reasons to do documentaries is that. There's more sense of creating something, more sense of my own soul in the documentaries than in movies, because I don't write the movies I do.
- Michael Apted
On the first movie we got good reviews, but we were still dealing with genre stuff. It's going away. Judge the movie - is it a good one or a bad one? We know we made a great movie and it's being judged for just being a good film.
- Avi Arad
Who-who are you?" Seth asked, hesitantly."Wh-what do you want?" How else was was I supposed to reply? The words were out of my mouth before I could stop them.I mean, I'd only seen the movie like seventeen times.
"I'm Luke Skywalker," I said. "I'm here to rescue you.
- Meg Cabot
And I'm going to tell the truth: I didn't like that Sean Penn movie Into the Wild so much.
Yes! I know it was critically acclaimed. I know it won all these awards! It's very sad that a boy is dead and all. But I thought the movie Enchanted, with the singing princess and the chipmunk and the people dancing in Central Park, was cuter.
So there!
- Meg Cabot
That's enough of that," Jesse said. Next thing I knew, he'd scooped me up.
Only instead of carrying me to my bed and setting me down on it all romantically, you know, like guys do to girls in the movies, he just dumped me onto it, so I bounced around and would have fallen off if I hadn't grabbed the edge of the mattress.
"Thanks," I said, not quite able to keep all of the sarcasm out of my voice.
- Meg Cabot
I couldn't take much more of this. Being the object two men competed for wasn't as glamorous as it sounded in the movies. The two men who both wanted one hundred percent of my time weren't dashing, international playboys. They were undead and surprisingly immature, considering the youngest was just over a hundred years old.
- Jennifer Armintrout
The movies that I did in the '80s were either good or bad, but I never was oppressed with any feeling - I mean, I thought it was ridiculous to play high school or college students when I was 30. But at the same time, that was really done then.
- Curtis Armstrong
There's no way I'm going to put this kid in the movies, because of the rejection. It's so hard as an adult, so why set her up to feel that bad as a child?
- Rosanna Arquette
You know, I never expected to enter the movie business.
- Christopher Atkins
I had a lot of coaching for the movie and no, I have never sung professionally before.
- Christopher Atkins
I feel like soundtrack music is almost like seeing the movie again, but with my ears.
- Dave Attell
In other words, if you - the cost of promoting movies, the advertising and promotion of a movie, the budget is almost as large as the cost of the movie.
- Richard Attenborough
Pier Angeli was in the movie called Sea of Sand that Guy Green directed where this idea came up.
- Richard Attenborough
When I am lonely for boys it's their bodies I miss. I study their hands lifting the cigarettes in the darkness of the movie theaters, the slope of a shoulder, the angle of a hip. Looking at them sideways, I examine them in different lights. My love for them is visual: that is the the part of them I would like to possess.
- Margaret Atwood
I like to go shopping, to the movies, all the girl stuff. Just a normal girl.
- Victoria Azarenka
I don't watch the movies I make, so I haven't seen 'Footloose' since it came out. You see this young, hungry actor, it's pretty fun. I was the only one they screen tested. It was an attempt by the director and producer to talk the head of the studio into hiring me because they didn't want me.
- Kevin Bacon
When the movie was done, Number Five was crated up. Eric took him over to Germany; displayed him over there because Germans really liked this movie. It was very popular with them.
- John Badham
My dad was born in Chicago in 1908... his parents came from Russia. They settled in Chicago, where they lived in a little tiny grocery store with eight or nine children - in the backroom all together - and my grandmother got the idea to go into the movie business.
- Bob Balaban
The interesting thing about a movie is the movie.
- Christian Bale
Too many poets act like a middle-aged mother trying to get her kids to eat too much cooked meat, and potatoes with drippings (tears). I don't give a damn whether they eat or not. Forced feeding leads to excessive thinness (effete). Nobody should experience anything they don't need to, if they don't need poetry bully for them. I like the movies too. And after all, only Whitman and Crane and Williams, of the American poets, are better than the movies.
- Frank O Hara
They allow us to disrespect our Black woman. A lot of these things would be considered criminal if it were to be carried out in the streets. That's like when they tell you after you buy your VHS and you rent movies they tell you not to copy the movies.
- Afrika Bambaataa
The movies people don't talk about or remember after six months' time don't really matter.
- Eric Bana
I think Shrek makes an effect in older people. And there are many things in the movie that you saw that are not for kids. Kids would not understand certain things.
- Antonio Banderas
Bill Hanna and I owe an awful lot to television, but we both got our start and built the first phase of our partnership in the movies.
- Joseph Barbera
I have this problem with violence. I've only done one movie in almost 20 years where I killed people. It's called Perdita Durango. It's a Spanish movie. I'm very proud of the movie, but I felt weird doing that.
- Javier Bardem
The award is important in order to bring people to the movie theater. That's the only principle meaning of any award.
- Javier Bardem
Jackass: The Movie is great. I think it's in the tradition of physical comedy, which I'm really interested in. Its relationship to gravity, and how gravity acts on the body.
- Matthew Barney
Hey, T-Rex? Remind me next time I want to get smartass with you that it's a really stupid move on my part? (Talon)
Oh, no, you don't, you wuss. You told me the next time you saw Ash you were going to ask him if he'd seen the movie 10,000 BC and if it'd made him homesick. (Wulf)
- Sherrilyn Kenyon
I prefer sidekick. I tried once for the title of Padawan, but Bubba wigged out saying that mentors are always killed off in books and movies and he'd be damned if he was going to die once he taught me everything I needed to know about killing zombies. (Mark)
Then why let you be his sidekick? Isn't that the same thing? (Nick)
Uh, no. In the movies, the sidekicks are the ones who die. (Mark)
- Sherrilyn Kenyon
This is the age of insincerity. The movies had the misfortune to come along in the twentieth century, and because they appeal to the masses there can be no sincerity in them.
- Lionel Barrymore
I wasn't hanging around the movie theaters in New York where I grew up, a Manhattan brat.
- Peter Bart
Analyses of the movie marketplace points to an interesting phenomenon: High-profile movies are continuing to do well year-to-year in the U.S. and overseas - this past summer, for example, the top 10 movies registered at the same level as in '04.
- Peter Bart
Ever since the movie premiered at Cannes, I've had a sudden surge of scripts and interest.
- Berenice Bejo
Now, all the movies are for teenagers. It's very difficult for an actress to find really deep, beautiful characters to play.
- Monica Bellucci
When I first saw a Fellini movie, I came out of the movie theatre and decided to become a lawyer! I thought to myself, it's impossible to make something so beautiful!
- Roberto Benigni
I wished I stayed at the movies, where I could have at least had some popcorn with my drama.
- Robin Benway
The movie creaked along, obvious and mediocre plot. Mediocre script, mediocre music. They ought to have sealed the thing in a time capsule and marked "Late 20th Century Mediocrity" and buried it somewhere.
- Haruki Murakami
In LA I was watching At the Movies with Ebert and Roper, it was, nice to see them differentiate between the subject matter and the art form of making the film, and they both gave it thumbs up, and I was kind of pleased at their honesty as far as reviewers go.
- Michael Berryman
But I don't just see the movie when I see the movie, I see all the great people who worked on it and all their hard work, because they could not have worked any harder.
- Brad Bird
When I am working on a movie, all I want to talk about is the movie. All I want to be with are the movie people. It's like a clan. If I'm asked to people's houses for dinner, I hate to go, because they'll talk about other things.
- Jacqueline Bisset
I love the movie "Titanic." It's my favorite romantic comedy!
- Troy Bisson
The movie Spinal Tap rocked my world. It's for rock what The Sound of Music was for hills. They really nailed how dumb rock can be.
- Jack Black
This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.
- Holly Black
It's fun to go to the movies and be scared.
- Selma Blair
Yes. Smashing. You'll be just like those four chaps in the movie. You know the one, with the oversized marshmallow.
- Kendare Blake
I've been campaigning like anything for restoring these changes. For 27 years. I wrote a book about it, well, a portion of the book was devoted to these scenes and why they should have been in the movie.
- William Peter Blatty
This was not a faerie tale. This was not the movies. This was life. It hurt more. It was excruciating. It was excruciatingly beautiful.
- Francesca Lia Block
This was not a fairy tale. This was not the movies. This was life. It hurt more. It was excruciating. It was excruciatingly beautiful.
- Francesca Lia Block
This was not a fearie tale. This was not the movies. This was life. It hurt more. It was excruciating. It was excruciatingly beautiful.
- Francesca Lia Block
There's got to be something that you can do that will not just be a nice honor to the play, or the book, or the movie you're dealing with, but some aspect that maybe can explore something that the play couldn't do.
- William Bolcom
Take the hardcore gamers. The characters are way more real in the world of hardcore gamers who have played the game for hundreds of hours. They have the movie in their heads, they've built it on their own. These guys are always very disappointed in the movies.
- Uwe Boll
In The Name of the King is the right title. To be honest, I don't know who had the final idea for the title but I liked it and it has a strong connection to the movie's story.
- Uwe Boll
He asked me whether I had seen the movie 'The Color Purple.' I said no she hadn't. And Bobby said, 'Well, it's a terrible picture. They don't make good, decent, moral pictures nowadays.'
- Tommy Bond
We're all complex human beings, and if some of that complexity shows through, I think it's advantageous for the movie.
- Jan De Bont
Angelina wanted to make sure that any fighting in the movie would be comparable to any male actor. Everything from stick fighting to horse riding was real to her.
- Jan De Bont
In regards to The Haunting, people compared it to the old movie, which is unfair. We didn't have the rights to the movie. I couldn't duplicate a single thing because that would have been legal infringement.
- Jan De Bont
Actually when I gave out the script, I gave it with a CD of all the music I wanted to put in the movie, and again, we never thought we'd get all that music.
- Zach Braff
I didn't necessarily have a total idea when I was writing the movie of where everything was going. I just wanted to have really realistic dialogue and write like people I knew talked. I tried to keep it very real.
- Zach Braff
The opera was stylish and the movie a thriller,
But, I had to buy a new dress and the popcorn was stale,
After the show, all I had left was my empty pocket.
For me, I have decided simple pleasures will do,
A walk in the park, a cup of coffee and a good book too,
My friends, you may find these to be a sound investment too.
www.nancybbrewer.com
- Nancy B Brewer
The things I enjoy most as I watch the movie are the things that came through without even thinking.
- Beau Bridges
I feel bad about a lot of the movies I see that teach kids that if they do bad, they'll win.
- Morgan Brittany
In the past I'd always felt like 'the girl' in the show or the movie. On 'Friday Night Lights' there were a bunch of girls, and I was the woman. Initially there was a little struggle with my identity around that. But now there's a sense of ease.
- Connie Britton
And in a world without heroes, as the movie trailer voice-over guy might say, the slightly awkward can be slightly cool.
- Adam Brody
Even if you didn't see the movie, you'd see two words you'd never seen put together before - comedy and Muslim. Comedy is friendly - it's the least offensive word in our language.
- Albert Brooks
Serial killers are everywhere! Well, perhaps not in our neighborhood, but on our television screens, at the movie theatres, and in rows and rows of books at our local Borders or Barnes and Noble Booksellers.
- Pat Brown
A guy out there was meant to be the love of your life, your best friend, your soul mate, the one you can tell your dreams to. He'll brush the hair out of your eyes. Send you flowers when you least expect it. He'll stare at you during the movies, even though he paid $8 to see it. He'll call to say goodnight or just cause he's missing you. He'll look in your eyes and tell you, you're the most beautiful girl in the world, and for the first times in your life, you'll believe it.
- Nicholas Sparks
And usually the studios they don't want you to have credit for your movies because they want to take credit for the movies because if you get credit for your movies they've got to pay you more.
- Jerry Bruckheimer
What will you do?"
"Oh, hell, I'll write a novel about writing the screenplay and making the movie."
"What are you going to call it?"
"Hollywood."
"Hollywood?"
"Yes..."
And here it is. (Hollywood, pg. 239)
- Charles Bukowski
Coach Hedge shouted, 'Let the movie star go, you big ugly cupcake! Or I'm gonna plant my hoof right up your..
- Rick Riordan
More like the movie where the guy meets a smart girl who wears a lot of sweaters and drinks cocoa. They talk about books and issues and kiss in the rain.
- Stephen Chbosky
I mean it's not like in the movies where girls like assholes or anything like that. It's not that easy. They just like somebody that can give them a purpose.
- Stephen Chbosky
The movie itself was very interesting, but I didn't think it was very good because I didn't really feel different when it was over.
- Stephen Chbosky
My grandmother and I followed my mother here, to a house a block north of Hollywood Boulevard but a million miles away from Hollywood, if you know what I mean. We would hang out behind the ropes and look at the movie stars arriving at the premieres.
- Carol Burnett
Well, honestly, the films I personally like to go see are smaller, more character-driven pieces, so that's why the movies I've made have been smaller, more character-driven movies.
- Edward Burns
I mean the cool thing about the movies is that you get to try on these different personalities and different styles.
- Edward Burns
But even with my minimal amount of fame, there are certain perks. Recently, I was at a movie premier, and at the party after the movie, Meryl Streep was loose, walking around the room like a normal person. Absolutely nothing was preventing me from lunging toward her and shrieking Dingoes ate my baby! Dingoes ate my baby!
- Augusten Burroughs
Any fable or fairytale has some sort of reality in it. That's why I think I love the form of fantasy or fairytale, is that you're able to kind of put things in there and let people sort of, discover their own emotion, discover their own sort of feelings about things. Or make their own lessons from it.'
--Tim Burton
At the Movies
Nov. 17, 2005
- Tim Burton
I don't know what it was, maybe the movie theaters in my immediate surrounding neighbourhood in Burbank, but I never saw what would be considered A movies.
- Tim Burton
Trees Lounge is based on my own life. Both my parents like the movie. My father, of course, thinks it's a masterpiece.
- Steve Buscemi
It was one of those moments that would have had dramatic music if my life were a movie, but instead I got a radio jingle for some kind of submarine sandwich place blaring over the store's ambient stereo. The movie of my life must be really low-budget.
- Jim Butcher
What's with that?' Butters screamed, his voice high and frightened. 'Just covering his head with his arms? Didn't he see the lawyer in the movie?
- Jim Butcher
The movie of my life must be really low budget.
- Jim Butcher
Angelina came up, and as soon as we said hello, I thought, This is going to be great. I'm really going to love doing this with her. And I did. And then I was very excited to do the movie after that.
- Gerard Butler
I had to skydive for the movie and I was terrified. Like everybody, I thought it was going to be one of those experiences that changes your life. It didn't.
- Yancy Butler
People have a preconceived notion about who I am and it's interesting. It's like picking who you want to win for the Oscars and not seeing the movie. Before you make a statement about someone, get all the information and see everything before you make a judgment.
- Amanda Bynes
For true downtime, I enjoy going for light runs, having drinks with friends and going to the movies with my husband.
- Emily Giffin
And at the end of the day, if the movie's no good, I'll live to fight another day.
- Scott Caan
I have eclectic tastes in the movies I want to do.
- Nicolas Cage
And what I like about it is it makes me happy and I think it makes a lot of people happy to go to the movies and to not think about the problems of the day or the problems of tomorrow or the yesterday and just go on for the ride and have the fun of losing oneself in a fantasy.
- Nicolas Cage
Did you see my ninja move?That was fast, right?"
"You are not a ninja, Shane."
"I've watched all the movies. I just haven't gotten the certificate from the correspondence course yet.
- Rachel Caine
You can't be serious," Eve said. "Guys. People get eaten in places like this. At the very least, we get locked in a room and terrible, evil things get done to us and put on the Internet. I've seen the movies."
Eve," Michael said, "horror movies are not documentaries.
- Rachel Caine
Ay-firmative,' Eve said, and tried for a smile. 'Sorry. An Aliens reference always makes me feel better at times like this. Exept I'm not sure I'm the one who lives through the movie.
- Rachel Caine
My wife comes with me on all the movies, but she is not an appendage to a film star or anything like that. She is a completely intertwined partner. She is the other half of me. Also, we're still very much in love with each other. We always have been, we always will be.
- Michael Caine
When they make the movie of your life
they're going to have to ask you
to do your own stunts
because nobody, nobody, nobody, nobody
could pull off the same shit as you
and still come out alright
- Bill Callahan
I never get recognized for 'Mean Girls.' I can be walking around with Daniel Franzese, who's in the movie and a friend of mine, and people will come up to him and start freaking out and have no idea who I am.
- Lizzy Caplan
Everything I learned I learned from the movies.
- Audrey Hepburn
We've decided that your birthday present will be a car", said Marion.
Danny was touched. "But the thing I can't figure out is, why would I need a new car?"
"You can't very well gate a girl to the movies, Danny," Leslie replied.
"I think you're overlooking the biggest point here," said Danny. "I don't need a CAR so I can date. I need a GIRL.
- Orson Scott Card
It was considered oh, not proper for children to go to the movies.
- Kitty Carlisle
I was born in New Orleans, and I wasn't allowed to go to the movies.
- Kitty Carlisle
My big fight is not in the movie and I don't understand that decision but I know he's right about it, whatever it is. Quentin did not hire me because I'm a kung fu expert; he hired me because he liked to listen to me talk.
- David Carradine
Violence is so terribly fast... the most perverse thing about the movies is the way they portray it in slow motion, allowing it to be something sensuous... the viewer's lips slightly wet as the scene plays out. Violence is nothing like that. It is lightning fast, chaotic, and totally intangible.
- Jim Carroll
...nothing ever happens quickly (except when it does). Nothing is ever, ever easy (except when it is). And, most of all, nothing ever goes perfectly according to plan (except in the movies).
- Ally Carter
You were the living image of the entire Platonic shadow show, an illusion that could fill my emptiness with marvellous, imaginary things as long as, just as long as, the movie lasted, and then all would all vanish.
- Angela Carter
Even in 2012, if there's a black character in the movies or on television that's a professional, if we even hear about their backgrounds they're always 'up from the streets.'
- Stephen Carter
It really comes down to the fact that, because I was perceived as a bad guy for leaving the show, I think people were rooting against the movies. That was really unfortunate.
- David Caruso
You can crab over the morning paper and kick the shins of the guy in the next seat at the movies and feel mean and discouraged and sneer at the politicians but there are a lot of nice people in the world just the same.
- Raymond Chandler
This movie will actually increase the sex life of parents everywhere because they can put this on, with the 45 minutes of extras and they've got almost two hours to do whatever they've got to do while the kids watch the movie.
- Dana Carvey
We do have a problem in this country. You can either make a movie and ignore that, or you can acknowledge it and say, this is the water that we're living in. You know this - the movie lives in this - it's centered around this particular problem, and I chose to acknowledge it.
- Nick Cassavetes
It had not occured to me to mourn losing those things until now. I had done each of those things, somewhere along the way, for a last time - without realizing it was the last time. And even after I knew that I was no longer a child, somehow I'd assumed those things could have come back to me. Or that I could have gone back to them. But watching the movies on this day, I became aware of infinite losses.
- Katherine Center
I was striving to be the most muscular man, and it got me into the movies. It got me everything that I have.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger
I had still never read one of the Bond books when the movie Dr. No came out.
- Leslie Charteris
I love the movies, and when I go to see a movie that's been made from one of my books, I know that it isn't going to be exactly like my novel because a lot of other people have interpreted it. But I also know it has an idea that I'll like because that idea occurred to me, and I spent a year, or a year and a half of my life working on it.
- Stephen King
The wonder is that so many OCDs manage to live productive lives, just the same. They work, they eat (often not enough or too much, it's true), they go to the movies, they make love to their girlfriends and boyfriends, their wives and husbands... and all the time those birds are there, clinging to them and pecking away little bits of flesh.
- Stephen King
Why do I use the same actors in different movies? One of the things I really stress in casting is I need to find someone who is suitable for the role in the movie. That's always the main reason.
- Stephen Chow
Last summer when we were preparing for the movie, I actually kind of wanted to stay fairly uninformed about it. As we went through the process that we do in the movie, I wanted to be a little wide-eyed.
- Thomas Haden Church
I enjoy doing press for something that I like, and I think the movie is very fun and charming and clever.
- Thomas Haden Church
The title of the movie is open to interpretation.
- Thomas Haden Church
But I think once the word gets out that the movie is funny - funny is transcendent - it will traverse all demographic barriers if people embrace it as a funny movie.
- Thomas Haden Church
The most intimate moments in the world don't happen in nightclubs or backstage or even on the movie screen. They were moments like this: sitting silently, comfortably, holding hands on a darkened bedroom floor.
- Georgia Clark
Usually, when I do a soundtrack, the music from the movie doesn't have anything to do with me personally. It's music to enhance to the film. My own stuff is more introspective and about what's on going in my head.
- Stanley Clarke
Once more Jane sat staring at the telephone. This time she was filled with a confidence that was new to her. Stan Crandall. Stanley Crandall. He liked her! He had seen her once, and even though had been rumpled and grass-stained and having a terrible time with Sandra, he liked her well enough to go to the trouble of finding out her name and calling to ask her to go to the movies. Jane smiled at the telephone and gave a sigh of happiness
- Beverly Cleary
I know this is probably sort of sudden." The boy hesitated. "But I was wodnering if you would care to go to the movies with me tomorrow night.
- Beverly Cleary
It seems astounding to me now that the video games are perhaps as important as the movie themselves. And people will spend 2 or 3 years obsessing about the video game in exactly the same way that they'd be obsessing about the movie if they were working on that.
- John Cleese
I knew the term Stepford Wife, and I knew what that meant. I never read the book, and I think before I started filming I watched the movie. I thought it was very dated.
- Glenn Close
I've spent several years in Hollywood, and I still think the movie heroes are in the audience.
- Wilson Mizner
When the movie's done, you talk about either the score or source music over a particular scene, what might work. You just throw a piece of music over the scene, and we both listen to it.
- Ethan Coen
Some people come out going, I don't get it. And I don't quite know what they're trying to get, what they're struggling for. We have had the reaction where people leave the movie sort of uncomfortable and befuddled. Although that wasn't our intention.
- Joel Coen
The question is: Where would it get you if something that's a little bit ambiguous in the movie is made clear? It doesn't get you anywhere.
- Joel Coen
We've been remarkably lucky in that we've been free to make the movies we've wanted to make the way we've wanted to make them. They've all been made for a price.
- Joel Coen
It's a depressing habit you have of loving to sneeze and of eating apples as if they were juicier for you and being the first one to exclaim how good the movie is. You depress people. We like apples too.
- Leonard Cohen
All of my books have the potential to become movies, it's just a question of finding a studio who wants to get behind me and put up the money to make the movie.
- Jackie Collins
When inspiration does not come, I go for a walk, go to the movie, talk to a friend, let go... The muse is bound to return again, especially if I turn my back!
- Judy Collins
I'm no longer dependent on the movie business to make a living. So if I want to make movies as other old guys would play golf, I can.
- Francis Ford Coppola
They needed someone to write a script of The Great Gatsby very quickly for the movie they were making. I took this job so I'd be sure to have some dough to support my family.
- Francis Ford Coppola
People feel the worst film I made was 'Jack.' But to this day, when I get checks from old movies I've made, 'Jack' is one of the biggest ones. No one knows that. If people hate the movie, they hate the movie. I just wanted to work with Robin Williams.
- Francis Ford Coppola
First of all, just knowing people who grew up in the movie business at that time, no one had Mexican maids.
- Bill Condon
In the back of your mind, when you say you want to write music for the movies, you're saying that you want a big house, a big car and a boat. If you just wanted to write music, you could live in Kansas and do it.
- Bill Conti
I finished the movie a month ago in downtown Los Angeles. I had a lot of fun doing it.
- Coolio
If you look at anybody who's had along career, if you look at the choices they've made - even if the movies haven't worked - they've always worked with great filmmakers.
- Bradley Cooper
In a film score, the last thing you want to do is take people out of the movie. The music is secondary. In opera, the music is the main event.
- Stewart Copeland
I'm not going to tell you the movies, but I remember getting halfway through the thing and everything sort of tunnel-visioned on me and I couldn't read the script anymore. I looked at the people and I just turned and ran out in a cold sweat. It took me about a year to study it and feel comfortable going in and reading for people.
- John Corbett
I'm proud of all the movies I've made. They're not sequels, they're not franchises. And the reason I pick my films carefully is that I don't want to spit on my life. I like to think of myself as more than that.
- Kevin Costner
It really is no different in the way that we make records and shoot music videos. I don't think of the movie as being a great leap out of my current profession.
- Wayne Coyne
I just felt that you can't have a character fall in love so madly as they did in the last movie and not finish it off, understand it, get some closure. That's why the movie is called 'Quantum of Solace' - that's exactly what he's looking for.
- Daniel Craig
I never go outside unless I look like Joan Crawford the movie star. If you want to see the girl next door, go next door.
- Joan Crawford
She had been living like a hermit herself, in a cramped, seedy apartment in Somerville, spending long hours in the lab. All-nighters had become a regular thing. She didn't have any close friends, didn't go out on dates, didn't even go to the movies by herself. She had sacrificed a normal life in order to get a PhD, and become a scientist.
- Michael Crichton
I don't take the movies seriously, and anyone who does is in for a headache.
- Bette Davis
The only reason anyone goes to Broadway is because they can't get work in the movies.
- Bette Davis
But with my last film, Spider it was agony. The money was always disappearing, nobody got paid, it was very difficult - and it's very distracting from the process of making the movie, of course. So I think things have been getting harder and harder.
- David Cronenberg
My father being in the movie business, I thought being an actor would be great. But when I started singing to people in coffeehouses, you know, singing folk music and then, later, singing songs that I started to write myself, I felt more than an affinity for it.
- David Crosby
I feel the film companies should pay for proper advertising to see that the movie will sell, instead of putting it on our backs.
- Billy Crudup
She slid out from under his arm, and picked up his shirt from the floor. When she put it on, it failed to meet in the middle over her chest. that always worked in the movies, she thought, disgusted, and dropped it on the floor.
- Jennifer Crusie
Rome is magic, it's like being in Hollywood. But the difference between Hollywood and Rome is that here you don't have just the movie business. The movie business is so little, so you also have the choice to hang out with people who do different kinds of business.
- Maria Grazia Cucinotta
He was so excited. He cut out pictures of these landscapes and neighborhoods and kind of really tried to give you a feel of the movie. It was kind of cute but at the same time it really showed his enthusiasm for it.
- Macaulay Culkin
I've had it happen to me before where it turns out that they never had the money and couldn't have made the movie in the first place. And these are the things you have to look for when trying to read the behavior of the people you sit down with.
- Robert Culp
Hollywood is the backdrop of my family, and I know that the movie business is incredibly cruel as you get older.
- Jamie Lee Curtis
I've been in the movies for 50 years, I've made 130 some-odd movies.
- Tony Curtis
Now I'm a painter. That was another opportunity I was able to pursue, I've been painting all my life, now it's become a second career because of my success in the movies.
- Tony Curtis
The movie business is very twisted, out of site, out of mind, you know.
- Tony Curtis
I'm world famous, everywhere I go there are people who love me because of I've been able to bring them some joy from the movies I've made.
- Tony Curtis
I love these movies where it's just about the film. You don't have my face on the poster. It's all about the movie. I like that.
- John Cusack
I go into every film not just wanting to play the hot girl in the movie. It kills me.
- Elisha Cuthbert
I don't ever want to be doing the same sort of thing, I never want to be typecast, because I have way too much to give to be sort of, to always be the hot chick in the movie.
- Elisha Cuthbert
It's amazing that for actors mostly, it's a risk to attach yourself to a film that you don't know whether or not it's going to even be made and if you sign on, in doing so, who else is going to be in the movie with you.
- Elisha Cuthbert
I have realized that I hate going to the premieres of the movies that I'm in. Because I feel this tension after the movie is over that everyone feels obligated to say something nice to you. It's so unnatural and uncomfortable.
- Amanda Seyfried
What really helps a guy to become an action hero today is the directing of the movie. All those fast cuts.
- Jean Claude Van Damme
I would sign on for projects that were meant to shoot in July, and then they would postponed and they would bleed into the following semester, and then I'd take a semester off, and then the movie would collapse.
- Claire Danes
A director shouldn't get in the way of the movie, the story should.
- Frank Darabont
Because of the movies nobody will believe that it was babies who fought the war.
- Kurt Vonnegut
The American fliers turned in their uniforms, became high school kids. And Hitler turned into a baby, Billy Pilgrim supposed. That wasn't in the movie. Billy was extrapolating. Everybody turned into a baby, and all humanity, without exception, conspired biologically to produce two perfect people named Adam and Eve, he supposed.
- Kurt Vonnegut
How people are around a director, it really does affect everything, every detail of the life of the movie.
- Daniel Daylewis
I see a lot of movies. I love films as a spectator, and that's never obscured by the part of me that does the work myself. I just love going to the movies.
- Daniel Daylewis
I wasn't looking to get into TV. My family was in the movie business, so I was never interested in that world.
- Giada De Laurentiis
Doctor, do you read the Harry Potter books?"
"Well, as a matter of fact, yes, I have."
"The fourth was my favorite. What was yours?"
"Umm, I don't know really."
"Is it possible," the prosecutor asked the witness, "that those writings of Mr. Kobel are merely attempts at writing a novel? Some big fantasy book."
"I...I can't imagine it."
"But it's possible, isn't it?"
"I suppose. But I'll tell you, he'll never sell the movie rights.
- Jeffery Deaver
There's the life and there's the consumer event. Everything around us tends to channel our lives toward some final reality in print or on film. Two lovers quarrel in the back of a taxi and a question becomes implicit in the event. Who will write the book and who will play the lovers in the movie? Everything seeks its own heightened version.
- Don Delillo
Was he at the movies to see a movie, she said, or maybe more narrowly, more essentially, simply to be at the movies?
- Don Delillo
That night, after the movie, driving my father's car along the country roads, I began to wonder ho real the landscape truly was, and how much of a dream is a dream.
- Don Delillo
I love vampire stories. That's why I did the movie. Women especially were taken with that movie-even more so when it came out on video.
- Catherine Deneuve
I live very normally, I go out with my friends, we go to the movies, I queue, we go to restaurants.
- Catherine Deneuve
I go to the movies a lot, and I regret when I see some actor that I used to like, to find them offering no more surprises.
- Catherine Deneuve
She needed Jay to go with her. Because despite her bold words about doing it by herself, it was all just a bluff. She really wasn't sure if she could do it on her own. "All right," he finally agreed, flashing her the same stupid grin that always made her heart stutter, even though he still seemed uncertain. "How about we start by going to the movies tonight? We can make sure the theater is safe.
- Kimberly Derting
Comments
Post a Comment