Skip to main content

The Sad Quotes

The sadest part of love life is when you cannot live with and without the one you love
- Amit Abraham

Then she fell on her knees, saying: 'I beg thee!'
'Nay, lady,' he said, and taking her by the hand he raised her. The he kissed her hand, and sprang into the saddle, and rode away, and did not look back; and only those who knew him well and were near to him saw the pain that he bore.
- J R R Tolkien

That was one of the saddest things about people- their most important thoughts and feelings often went unspoken and barely understood.
- Alexandra Adornetto

I was not too impressed with human language; it seemed absurdly limited. There was so much that couldn't be put into words. That was one of the saddest things about people - their most important thoughts and feelings often went unspoken and barely understood
- Alexandra Adornetto

We all get lost once in a while, sometimes by choice, sometimes due to forces beyond our control. When we learn what it is our soul needs to learn, the path presents itself. Sometimes we see the way out but wander further and deeper despite ourselves; the fear, the anger or the sadness preventing us returning. Sometimes we prefer to be lost and wandering, sometimes it's easier. Sometimes we find our own way out. But regardless, always, we are found.
- Cecelia Ahern

Young men go to war. Sometimes because they have to, sometimes because they want to. Always, they feel they are supposed to. This comes from the sad, layered stories of life, which over the centuries have seen courage confused with picking up arms, and cowardice confused with laying them down.
- Mitch Albom

I learned something recently: our true friends are those are with us when the good things happen. They cheer us on and are pleased by our triumphs. False friends only appear at difficult times, with the sad, supportive faces, when, in fact, our suffering is serving to console them for their miserable lives. When things were bad last year, various people I had never ever seen before turned up to 'console' me. I hate that.
- Paulo Coelho

The saddest day in the world will be the one when she stops pretending.
- Jodi Picoult

Don't laugh at the spinsters, dear girls, for often very tender, tragic romances are hidden away in the hearts that beat so quietly under the sober gowns, and many silent sacrifices of youth, health, ambition, love itself, make the faded faces beautiful in God's sight. Even the sad, sour sisters should be kindly dealt with, because they have missed the sweetest part of life, if for no other reason.
- Louisa May Alcott

I am intrigued by the smile upon your face, and the sadness within your eyes
- Jeremy Aldana

The sad truth is that excellence makes people nervous.
- Shana Alexander

My school and my tribe are so poor and sad that we have to study from the same dang books our parents studied from. That is absolutely the saddest thing in the world.
- Sherman Alexie

The sad souls of those who lived without blame and without praise.
- Dante Alighieri

Then, while the old man was clearing the lines and preparing the harpoon, the male fish jumped high into the air beside the boat to see where the female was and then went down deep, his lavender wings, that were his pectoral fins, spread wide and all his wide lavender stripes showing. He was beautiful, the old man remembered, and he had stayed.
That was the saddest thing I ever saw with them, the old man thought.
- Ernest Hemingway

The more you know, the sadder you get.
- Stephen Colbert

...why were you happier when you were a kid? Because you didn't know anything. The more you know, the sadder you get.
- Stephen Colbert

In fact, it was the women in our house who were in the saddle. If men are the gods, women are not only the presidents but all the ministers of the government.
- Pedro Almodovar

Are there not some places where we seem to breathe sadness? why, we cannot tell. It is a chain of recollections an idea which carries you back to other times, to other places which, very likely, have no connection with the present time and place.
- Alexandre Dumas

When people don't express themselves, they die one piece at a time. You'd be shocked at how many adults are really dead insidewalking through their days with no idea who they are, just waiting for a heart attack or cancer or a Mack truck to come along and finish the job. It's the saddest thing I know.
- Laurie Halse Anderson

No matter how many times you do it, you don't get used to the sadness - for me at least - of coming to the end of a film.
- Paul Thomas Anderson

From being quite sure of himself and his future he becomes not at all sure. If he be an imaginative boy a door is torn open and for the first time he looks out upon the world, seeing, as though they marched in procession before him, the countless figures of men who before his time have come out of nothingness into the world, lived their lives and again disappeared into nothingness. The sadness of sophistication has come to the boy.
- Sherwood Anderson

The sadness of the women's movement is that they don't allow the necessity of love. See, I don't personally trust any revolution where love is not allowed.
- Maya Angelou

He is so beautiful, she thought, aching from the sadness that she saw in his eyes. In the late-afternoon sunlight, those eyes were almost green. She took his face in her hands and pulled him to her, claiming the kiss she had so desperately wanted the day before but had forgotten in the heat of the moment. She closed her eyes and felt him respond to her mouth, his tongue seeking hers.
- Shira Anthony

The sad events that occur in my life are the sad events that happen to everybody, with losing friends and family, but that is a natural occurrence, as natural as being born.
- Sergio Aragones

The sad truth is that most evil is done by people who never make up their minds to be good or evil.
- Hannah Arendt

Once, when a religionist denounced me in unmeasured terms, I sent him a card saying, I am sure you believe that I will go to hell when I die, and that once there I will suffer all the pains and tortures the sadistic ingenuity of your deity can devise and that this torture will continue forever. Isn't that enough for you? Do you have to call me bad names in addition?
- Isaac Asimov

The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.
- Isaac Asimov

A man willing to work, and unable to find work, is perhaps the saddest sight that fortune's inequality exhibits under this sun.
- Thomas Carlyle

Wondrous is the strength of cheerfulness, and its power of endurance - the cheerful man will do more in the same time, will do it; better, will preserve it longer, than the sad or sullen.
- Thomas Carlyle

Not that I wish to give you any ammunition, but the sad fact of it is-most men are sheep. Where one goes, the rest will follow. And didn't you say you wished to be married?'
'Not to someone who follows you as the lead sheep.
- Julia Quinn

Yes, it would nice for this fifty year period, this cradle of all vampire short stories in the English language, to include a vampire tale by Edgar Allan Poe. But the sad answer is that Poe never penned a vampire story.
- Andrew Barger

I tried to put the displacement between parenthesis, to put a last period in a long sentence of the sadness of history, personal and public history. But I see nothing except commas. I want to sew the times together. I want to attach one moment to another, to attach childhood to age, to attach the present to the absent and all the presents to all absences, to attach exiles to the homeland and to attach what I have imagined to what I see now.
- Mourid Barghouti

I'm here because I know the sadness inside you. I know what it feels like to wake in the morning, lost and lonely and aching for someone to be there with me. (Sebastian)
- Sherrilyn Kenyon

Don't you dare mock me. I've seen more pain than you can even imagine. (Kiara)
Yeah, your mother was shot dead in front of you. Boo-hoo. So what? You think you're the only one who ever lived through that? My father was publicly executed for the entire Ichidian Universe to watch. The saddest part of that is I just wish I'd been the one who'd gassed the bastard. (Syn)
- Sherrilyn Kenyon

No one mentioned the sad piece of tinsel, naked in places, hanging across the chimneybreast, nor that Twelfth Night was a week ago. No one mentioned the two Christmas cards on the mantelpiece. No one mentioned them because inside they were blank.
- Andrew Barrett

The sad thing about artificial intelligence is that it lacks artifice and therefore intelligence.
- Jean Baudrillard

The sad heart needs work to do.
- Joan Bauer

Do they think that they have given us great pleasure by telling us that they hold our soul to be no more than wind or smoke, and saying it moreover in tones of pride and satisfaction? Is this then something to be said gaily? Is it not on the contrary something to be said sadly, as being the saddest thing in the world?
- Blaise Pascal

The sad truth is the truth that is sad.
- Lemony Snicket

The sad truth is the truth is sad.
- Lemony Snicket

We, or at least I, can have no conception of human life and human thought in a hundred years or fifty years. Perhaps my greatest wisdom is the knowledge that I do not know. The sad ones are those who waste their energy in trying to hold it back, for thy can only feel bitterness in loss and no joy in gain.
- John Steinbeck

The sad ones are those who waste their energy in trying to hold it back, for they can only feel bitterness in loss and no joy in gain.
- John Steinbeck

...It [the Mexican War] was a training ground for generals, so that when the sad self-murders settled on us, the leaders knew the techniques for making it properly horrible.
- John Steinbeck

Yes, you should talk," he said. "Sometimes a sad man can talk the sadness right out through his mouth. Sometimes a killin' man can talk the murder right out of his mouth.
- John Steinbeck

While she cut the mushrooms, she cried more than she had at the grave, the most so far, because she found the saddest thing of all to be the simple truth of her capacity to move on.
- Aimee Bender

We froze. Neither of us moving, simply staring at each other, wondering if the other was going to move first. "You are," he whispered, "uncommonly stirring." He closed his eyes then, as if he had to in order to break the bond between us, then lifted me to the saddle and stared at the ground as he guided my feet into the stirrups.
- Lisa Tawn Bergren

No truth can cure the sadness we feel from losing a loved one. No truth, no sincerity, no strength, no kindness, can cure that sorrow. All we can do is see that sadness through to the end and
learn something from it, but what we learn will be no help in facing the next sadness that comes to us without warning.
- Haruki Murakami

The sad truth is that certain types of things can't go backward. Once they start going forward, no matter what you do, they can't go back the way they were. If even one little thing goes awry, then that's how it will stay forever.
- Haruki Murakami

The sad truth is that what I could recall in five seconds all too soon needed ten, then thirty, thena full minute..
- Haruki Murakami

Her cry was the saddest sound of orgasm that I had ever heard.
- Haruki Murakami

And as the years have passed, the time has grown longer. The sad truth is that what I could recall in five seconds all too needed ten, then thirty, then a full minute - like shadows lengthening at dusk. Someday, I suppose, the shadows will be swallowed up in darkness.
- Haruki Murakami

Hajime," she began, "the sad truth is that some things can't go backwards. Once they start going forward, no matter what you do, they can't go back to the way they were. If one little thing goes awry, then that's how it will stay forever.
- Haruki Murakami

The saddest thing was actually getting fed up with one another. It's like growing up in a family. When you get to a certain age, you want to go off and get your own girl and your own car, split up a bit.
- George Harrison

The sadness of the incomplete, the sadness that is often Life, but should never be Art.
- E M Forster

The sad thing is, when it comes to diet, is that even when well-intentioned Feds try to do right by us, they fail. Either they're outvoted by puppets of agribusiness, or they are puppets of agribusiness.
- Mark Bittman

And the sad truth is that nobody wants me to write comedy. The Exorcist not only ended that career, it expunged all memory of its existence.
- William Peter Blatty

Don't fear failure so much that you refuse to try new things. The saddest summary of a life contains three descriptions: could have, might have, and should have.
- Louis E Boone

... if anger arises in the mind in response to an outside event, it's helpful to look for either the saddening or frightening aspect of that event and then take whatever measures we can to address the sadness or the fear. Knowing that negativity or aversion is a transient energy never means to ignore it. It means to see it clearly, always, and work with it wisely [p. 85].
- Sylvia Boorstein

Somewhere in him, a shadow turned mournfully over. You had to run with a night like this so the sadness could not hurt
- Ray Bradbury

Somewherein him, a shadow turned mournfully over. You had to run with anightlike thisso the sadness could not hurt.
- Ray Bradbury

Some days I want to put my head in the sand. There's too much pain out there, there's too much that scares me. But I wouldn't be able to breathe with my head in the sand, and I wouldn't be able to hear or see or smell. The world is a lovely place...despite the sadness it holds for each of us, despite the terrible things we do.
- James Howe

Like most, I was a solitary boy at first, keeping to my books and weeping in the hedgerows whenever I could get away on my own. Surely, I thought, I must be the saddest child in the world; that there must be something innately horrid about me to cause my father to cast me off so heartlessly. I believed that if I could discover what it was, there might be a chance of putting things right, of somehow making it up to him.
- Alan Bradley

Sometimes you couldn't face the sadness of being forgotten until you felt the comfort of being remembered again.
- Ann Brashares

Bridget's anger evaporated and the sadness came back. The anger was easier. She owned and contolled it, whereas the sadness owned her.
- Ann Brashares

You see, that is the sad, sorry, terrible thing about sarcasm.
It's really funny.
- Brandon Sanderson

There are times in your life when, despite the steel weight of your memories and the sadness that seems to lie at your feet like a shadow, you suddenly and strangely feel perfectly okay.
- Kevin Brockmeier

The sadness, the silence, the darkness, the loneliness... all of it held in a simple little moment. It was just so...
I don't know.
Just so much.
- Kevin Brooks

Of all said words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these it might have been.
- Rudyard Kipling

The saddest people I've met in my life are the ones who don't care deeply about anything at all.
- Nicholas Sparks

The saddest people I've ever met in life are the ones who don't care deeply about anything at all. Passion and satisfaction go hand in hand, and without them, any happiness is only temporary, because there's nothing to make it last
- Nicholas Sparks

Passion is passion. It's the excitement between the tedious spaces, and it doesn't matter where it's directed...It can be coins or sports or politics or horses or music or faith...the saddest people I've ever met in life are the ones who don't care deeply about anything at all.
- Nicholas Sparks

There are moments when I wish I could roll back the clock and take all the sadness away, but I have the feeling that if I did, the joy would be gone as well.
- Nicholas Sparks

It can be coins or sports or politics or horses or music or faith... the saddest people I've ever met in life are the ones who don't care deeply about anything at all. Passion and satisfaction go hand in hand, and without them, any happiness is only temporary, because there's nothing to make it last.
- Nicholas Sparks

I have been one acquainted with the night.
I have walked out in rain - and back in rain.
I have outwalked the furthest city light.
I have looked down the saddest city lane.
I have passed by the watchman on his beat
And dropped my eyes, unwilling to explain.
- Robert Frost

The sad truth about humanity, Risa was quick to realize, is that people believe what they're told. Maybe not the first time, but by the hundredth time, the craziest of ideas just becomes a given.
- Neal Shusterman

The way she looks right now, you have to think about multiple car pile-ups. Imagine two bloodmobiles colliding head on. The way she looks, you'd have to think of mass graves to even log thirty seconds in the saddle.
Think of spoiled cat food and ulcerated cankers and expired donor organs.
That's how beautiful she looks.
- Chuck Palahniuk

He pushed that thoughts away. He didn't like painful memories. Keep moving -- that was his motto. Don't dwell in things. Don't stay in one place too long. It was the only way to stay ahead of the sadness.
- Rick Riordan

I looked into his eyes, and I realized he was the same man I'd seen in my dreams. His face might be totally different, but the same soul was in there, the same intelligence and all the sadness.
- Rick Riordan

Don't stay in one place too long. It was the only way to stay ahead of the sadness.
- Rick Riordan

...of all things this was the saddest, that life goes on: if one leaves one's lover, life should stop for him, and if one disappears from the world, then the world should stop, too: and it never did. And that was the real reason for most people getting up in the morning: not because it would matter but because it wouldn't.
- Truman Capote

If my world were to cave in tomorrow, I would look back on all the pleasures, excitements and worthwhilenesses I have been lucky enough to have had. Not the sadness, not my miscarriages or my father leaving home, but the joy of everything else. It will have been enough.
- Audrey Hepburn

The opposite of the happy ending is not actually the sad ending--the sad ending is sometimes the happy ending. The opposite of the happy ending is actually the unsatisfying ending.
- Orson Scott Card

One of the saddest realities is that we never know when our lives are at their peak. Only after it is over and we have some kind of perspective do we realize how good we had it a day, a month, five years ago.
- Jonathan Carroll

Even more than the cold, I'm frozen by the sadness in his beautiful eyes, deep and true. He squeezes them closed a moment and breathes deeply through his nose. Then, with one swift movement, he cups the back of my neck with a strong hand, pulls my head forward, and presses his lips to mine. He wastes precious moments kissing me, his tongue gliding across my lips, darting at my teeth. I open my mouth and kiss back just as eagerly.
- Rae Carson

In great misfortunes, people want to be alone. They have a right to be. And the misfortunes that occur within one are the greatest. Surely the saddest thing in the world is falling out of love--if once one has ever fallen in.
- Willa Cather

I myself have seen this woman draw the stars from the sky; she diverts the course of a fast-flowing river with her incantations; her voice makes the earth gape, it lures the spirits from the tombs, send the bones tumbling from the dying pyre. At her behest, the sad clouds scatter; at her behest, snow falls from a summer's sky.
- Catullus

(Can human beings change? The humor, and the sadness, of remarriage comedies can be said to result from the fact that we have no good answer to that question.)
- Stanley Cavell

The saddest thing I can imagine is to get used to luxury.
- Charlie Chaplin

But now the joy is gone and the sadness is back, the sadness feels like something deserved, the price of some not-quite-forgotten betrayal.
- Stephen King

I pack my trunk, embrace my friends, embark on the sea and at last wake up in Naples, and there beside me is the stern fact, the sad self, unrelenting, identical, that I fled from.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Things are in the saddle. And ride mankind.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

One of the saddest things in life, is the things one remembers.
- Agatha Christie

It is easy enough to praise men for the courage of their convictions. I wish I could teach the sad young of this mealy generation the courage of their confusions.
- John Ciardi

Skepticism is the sadism of embittered souls.
- Emile M Cioran

Which demomstrates the sad poverty of English launguage..
- Susanna Clarke

I used to wonder why Lucy liked those songs so much. You know what I mean? She sits in the dark and listens and cries. Music does that to her...I didn't understand for a long time. But I do now. The sad songs are a safe hurt. It's a diversion. It's controlled. And maybe it helps you imagine that real pain will be like that. But it's not. Lucy knows that, of course. You can't prepare for real pain. You just have to let it rip you apart.
- Harlan Coben

Maybe there's a way to keep us in this moment. Not the sad part. But the coming together part.
- David Levithan

only adj.
thats the dilemma isn't it? when you're single, there's the sadness and joy of only me. And when you're paired, there's the sadness and joy of only you.
- David Levithan

I can see that the sadness has returned. And it's not a beautiful sadness- beautiful sadness is a myth. Sadness turns our features to clay, not porcelain.
- David Levithan

and the sad notes floated out to the
patio and hung in the trees like birds too tired to fly
- Hunter S Thompson

It's beautiful," said Mort softly. "What is it?"
THE SUN IS UNDER THE DISC, said Death.
"Is it like this every night?"
EVERY NIGHT, said Death. NATURE'S LIKE THAT.
"Doesn't anyone know?"
ME. YOU. THE GODS. GOOD, ISN'T IT?
"Gosh!"
Death leaned over the saddle and looked down at the kingdoms of the world.
I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU, he said, BUT I COULD MURDER A CURRY.
- Terry Pratchett

My only regret involved the sad knowledge that I could not handle the amount of alcohol I would have enjoyed. Easy is the descent into Hell.
- Robert A Heinlein

The funniest people are the saddest once
- Confucius

There are more than 300,000 families in the Gulf region that lost their homes and are waiting for peace of mind. The hurricane exposed the sad reality of poverty in America. We saw, in all its horrific detail, the vulnerabilities of living in inadequate housing and the heartbreak of losing one's home.
- Harry Connick Jr

I knew then that the person on the outside was only a shell, a presence to be seen and provoked. Inside was the real me, where my tears joined the tears of all the sad people to form the three waterfalls in the night country.
- Bryce Courtenay

The idea of regretting not doing this seemed insane to me. Sitting in the corner at a bar at age 60, saying: 'I could've been Bond. Buy me a drink.' That's the saddest place I could be. At least now at 60 I can say: 'I was Bond. Now buy me a drink.'
- Daniel Craig

The sadness you feel is not your own. It's his sadness you feel in your heart, Amy, for missing you.
- Justin Cronin

What is life? The joy of the blessed, the sorrow of the sad, and a search for death. And what is death? An inevitable happening, an uncertain pilgrimage, the tears of the living, the thief of man.
- Donna Woolfolk Cross

I escaped onto the wall, a painted ghost trapped in a jar. I stood back to look at it and I knew the sad thing wasn't that the ghost was running out of air. the sad thing was that he had enough air in that small space to last him a lifetime. What were you thinking, little ghost? Letting yourself get trapped like that?
- Cath Crowley

In these days when science is clearly in the saddle and when our knowledge of disease is advancing at a breathless pace, we are apt to forget that not all can ride and that he also serves who waits and who applies what the horseman discovers.
- Harvey Cushing

Regret; The saddest word in the English language.
- Tonya Hurley

The saddest line you scraped in your diary was not that you cried but those moments when we both shared smile.
- Santosh Kalwar

I'm hurling all the little joys against the greater sadness. The sadness is a giant weight. It presses down. Its mean: What's the point?
- Luke Davies

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are, It might have been.
- Kurt Vonnegut

one thing I've realized is that my life in its entirety is more important than any one aspect of it. And the sad truth is that until I met you I didn't have anything else.
- Tiffanie Debartolo

Somehow, it seems that the sadder a song is, the happier I feel. The release of emotions that many would label as 'negative' is actually a liberating process for me.
- Grey Delisle

The sadism is part of your charm. - William Maddox
- Jennifer Delucy

You are not a grenade, not to us. Thinking about you dying makes us sad, Hazel, but you are not a grenade. You are amazing. You can't know, sweetie, because you've never had a baby become a brilliant young reader with a side interest in horrible television shows, but the joy you bring us is so much greater than the sadness we feel about your illness.
- John Green

You're not a grenade, not to us. Thinking about you dying makes us sad, Hazel, but you are not a grenade. You are amazing. You can't know, sweetie, because you've never had a baby become a brilliant young reader with a side interest in horrible television shows, but the joy you bring us is so much greater than the sadness we feel about your illness.
- John Green

You can't know, sweetie, because you've never had a baby become a brilliant young reader with a side interest in horrible television shows, but the joy you bring us is so much greater than the sadness we feel about your illness.
- John Green

I couldn't help but think about school and everything else ending. I liked standing just outside the couches and watching themit was a kind of sad I didn't mind, and so I just listened, letting all the happiness and the sadness of this ending swirl around in me, each sharpening the other. For the longest time, it felt kind of like my chest was cracking open, but not precisely in an unpleasant way.
- John Green

Well, it's true that I have been hurt in my life. Quite a bit. But it's also true that I have loved, and been loved. and that carries a weight of its own. A greater weight, in my opinion. It's like that pie chart we talked about earlier. in the end, I'll look back on my life and see that the greatest piece of it was love. The problems, the divorces, the sadness... those will be there too, but just smaller slivers, tiny pieces.
- Sarah Dessen

Morality comes with the sad wisdom of age, when the sense of curiosity has withered.
- Graham Greene

Men and boys always want to go fight. They are always looking for a reason to go to war. It is the saddest thing. They have this abiding notion that war is fun. And no history lesson will convince them differently.
- Kate Dicamillo

I have done this--made the sad prince laugh. Made his grieving parents smile. None but me. Think you only kings have power? Stand on a stage and hold the hearts of men in your hands. Make them laugh with a gesture, cry with a word. Make them love you. And you will know what power is.
- Jennifer Donnelly

I had done this - made the sad prince laugh. Made his grieving parents smile.None but me. Think you only kings have power? Stand on a stage and hold the hearts of men in your hands.Make them love you. And you will know what power is.
- Jennifer Donnelly

It's easy to look back and see it, and it's easy to give the advice. But the sad fact is, most people don't look beneath the surface until it's too late.
- Wendelin Van Draanen

She is sadder and sadder, and for a man there is no balm more soothing than the sadness he has caused a woman.
- Milan Kundera

She was experiencing the same odd happiness and odd sadness as then. The sadness meant: we are at the last station. The happiness meant: we are together.
- Milan Kundera

...[P]eople who shout joy from the rooftops are often the saddest of all... (p.24)
- Milan Kundera

the sadness meant: we are at the last station. The happiness meant: we are together. The sadness was form, the happiness content
- Milan Kundera

There would seem to be nothing more obvious, more tangible and palpable than the present moment. And yet it eludes us completely. All the sadness of life lies in that fact. In the course of a single second, our senses of sight, of hearing, of smell, register (knowingly or not) a swarm of events and a parade of sensations and ideas passes through our head. Each instant represents a little universe, irrevocably forgotten in the next instant.
- Milan Kundera

Sad people dislike the happy, and the happy the sad; the quick thinking the sedate, and the careless the busy and industrious.
- Horace

I always thought the saddest feeling in life is when you're dancing in a really joyful way and then you hit your head on something.
- Lena Dunham

Being a writer means crying over the sad parts, even though you already know it's going to be okay.
- Clare B Dunkle

Today,' said Lymond, 'if you must know, I don't like living at all. But that's just immaturity boggling at the sad face of failure. Tomorrow I'll be bright as a bedbug again.
- Dorothy Dunnett

Since it's based on my parents, it's more emotionally close to me than some of my more surreal plays. And then I like the balance of the comic and the sad. It should play as funny, but you should care about the characters and feel sad for them.
- Christopher Durang

have you ever seen a genius out there looking for a job? it's the saddest thing in the world. no one will hire him. there is only one place where he is always welcome- at the bottom.
- Henry Miller

I think the saddest moment in my life just happened two months ago. My old nightclub partner passed away, Phil Erickson down in Atlanta. He - I owe him everything. He put me in the business and taught me about everything I know.
- Dick Van Dyke

The good times of today, are the sad thoughts of tomorrow.
- Bob Marley

Did A tell you your eyes remind me of blown glass? I can see your soul through those eyes, Amy. They get darker when you're trying to be sexy and shine when you smile. And when you think you're in trouble you blink double the amount that you usually do. And when your sad the corners of your eyes turn down. I miss your eyes. And I don't want the sad ones to be my last memory of you.
- Simone Elkeles

I hope to die in the saddle seat.
- Albert Ellis

The important thing in this life is to link your sadness to the sadness of others.
- Shusaku Endo

The sad truth is that opportunity doesn't knock twice.
- Gloria Estefan

If we don't make earnest moves toward real solutions, then each day we move one day closer to revolution and anarchy in this country. This is the sad, and yet potentially joyous, state of America.
- Louis Farrakhan

One of the saddest things is that the only thing a man can do for eight hours a day, day after day, is work. You can't eat eight hours a day nor drink for eight hours a day nor make love for eight hoursall you can do for eight hours is work. Which is the reason why man makes himself and everybody else so miserable and unhappy.
- William Faulkner

The saddest thing about love, Joe, is that not only the love cannot last forever, but even the heartbreak is soon forgotten.
- William Faulkner

Selective ignorance, a cornerstone of child rearing. You don't put kids under surveillance: it might frighten you. Parents should sit tall in the saddle and look upon their troops with a noble and benevolent and extremely nearsighted gaze.
- Garrison Keillor

The saddest part of a broken heart
Isn't the ending so much as the start
The tragedy starts from the very first spark
Losing your mind for the sake of your heart
- Raymond E Feist

You see I usually find myself among strangers because I drift here and there trying to forget the sad things that happened to me.
- F Scott Fitzgerald

At the gray tea hour there were always rooms that throbbed incessantly with this low, sweet fever, while fresh faces drifted here and there like rose petals blown by the sad horns around the floor.
- F Scott Fitzgerald

I'll think of something, he temporized, and Horace nodded wisely, satisfied that Halt would indeed think of something. In Horace's world, that was what Rangers did best, and the best thing a warrior apprentice could do was let the Ranger get on with thinking while a warrior took care of walloping anyone who needed to be walloped along the way. He settled back in the saddle, contented with his lot in life.
- John Flanagan

The sadness which reigned everywhere was but an excuse for unfailing kindness.
- Victor Hugo

It is painful to break the sad links to the past
- Victor Hugo

We were quiet on the car ride home. I turned on the radio and found a station playing "Hey Jude." It was true, I didn't want to make it bad. I wanted to take the sad song and make it better. It's just that I didn't know how.
- Jonathan Safran Foer

I want to die in the saddle. I love writing, producing, acting, directing.
- Peter Fonda

I wouldn't say that my emotions are extreme. I'd say they are committed. My moods are the equivalent of Madonna's dancing: inappropriate but all-out. If I'm going to be sad, I might as well be the saddest a girl can get. And if I'm happy, I want to be the happiest. The trouble is, I feel highs so ecstatic that just being normal feels like a thousand-mile drop and being unhappy is excruciating.
- Emma Forrest

The sad fact is that the same terrorist scenarios, if they occurred in five different States, there could be five different sets of responses to the American people. We need, at a minimum, a level of coordination on communicating threats to the public.
- Vito Fossella

And meanwhile the sad truth was that not everyone could be extraordinary, not everyone could be extremely cool; because whom would this leave to be ordinary?
- Jonathan Franzen

One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We're no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It is simply too painful to acknowledge -- even to ourselves -- that we've been so credulous. (So the old bamboozles tend
to persist as the new bamboozles rise.)
- Carl Sagan

The ordinary man with extraordinary power is the chief danger for mankind - not the fiend or the sadist.
- Erich Fromm

The pleasure in complete domination over another person (or other animate creature) is the very essence of the sadistic drive. Another way of formulating the same thought is to say that the aim of sadism is to transform man into a thing, something animate into something inanimate, since by complete and absolute control the living loses one essential quality of life - freedom.
- Erich Fromm

Tyrion let the eunuch help him mount. "Lord Varys," he said from the saddle, "sometimes I feel as though you are the best friend I have in King's Landing and sometimes I feel you are my worst enemy."
"How odd. I think quite the same of you.
- George R R Martin

Life is but a sleep disturbed by dreaming, prompted by the will; the saddened soul with sadness hides it's secrets, and the gay, with thrill.
- Kahlil Gibran

Are you - are you sad?"
- No.
"But your - your songs are sad."
- My songs are of time and distance. The sadness is in you. Watch my arms. There is only the dance. These things you treasure are shells.
- William Gibson

There was something in her eyes that drew me in. I wanted to make the sadness she tried to hide go away. -Cage York
- Abbi Glines

The sadness will last forever.
- Vincent Van Gogh

La tristesse durera toujours.
[The sadness will last forever.]
- Vincent Van Gogh

The longer and more carefully we look at a funny story, the sadder it becomes.
- Nikolai Gogol

The reason for the sadness of this modern age and the men who live in it is that it looks for the truth in everything and finds it.
- Edmond De Goncourt

Women are reputed never to be disgusted. The sad fact is that they often are, but not with men; following the lead of men, they are most often disgusted with themselves.
- Germaine Greer

'Eyes Wide Open' took shape from two real life events straight from my own past. One was the sad suicide of my young nephew, a troubled kid, who was found at the bottom of a landmark cliff in central California. The second was a chance encounter forty years ago with none other than, ahem, Charles Manson!
- Andrew Gross

Ben remembered that in Italy, he and Rachel had slipped down between rows of apple trees on the plain of the Po, deep into the cool and dark of orchards, and there they had kissed with the sadness of newlyweds who know that their kisses are too poignantly tender and that their good fortune is subject, like all things, to the crush of time, which remorselessly obliterates what is most desired and pervades all that is beautiful.
- David Guterson

Everybody likes Johnny Cash. I think the sad part of it is his health is givin' him problems.
- Merle Haggard

It was an unnatural time to be awake,... It meant nothing good. He associated it with emergency, bereavement, conspiracy, flight; the sad skulk away at the end of a one-night affair.
- Robert Harris

It was a tender and heart-dissolving prayer, full of sorrow, yet so imbued with celestial hopes, that the music of a heavenly harp, swept by the fingers of the dead, seemed faintly to be heard among the saddest accents of the minister.
- Nathaniel Hawthorne

O Fiend, whose talisman was that fatal symbol, wouldst thou leave nothing, whether in youth or age, for this poor sinner to revere?such loss of faith is ever one of the saddest results of sin.
- Nathaniel Hawthorne

It is one of the saddest spectacles of our time to see a great democratic movement support a policy which must lead to the destruction of democracy and which meanwhile can benefit only a minority of the masses who support it. Yet it is this support from the Left of the tendencies toward monopoly which make them so irresistible and the prospects of the future so dark.
- Friedrich August Von Hayek

I like to express certain things that happen in my life, the joy of spring, the birds singing and young babies coming into the world. You know, the whole thing as well as the part I'm not happy with, the sad part.
- Roy Haynes

Beauty and art, no doubt, pervade all business of life like a kindly genius, and form the bright adornment of all our surroundings, both mental and material, soothing the sadness of our condition and the embarrassments of real life, killing time in entertaining fashion, and where there's nothing to be achieved, occupying the place of what is vicious, better, at any rate, than vice.
- Georg Friedrich Hegel

The saddest aspect of life is that there is no one on earth whose happiness is such that he won't sometimes wish he were dead rather than alive.
- Herodotus

For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'.
- John Greenleaf Whittier

The unhappiest people I know, romantically speaking, are the ones who like pop music the most; and I don't know whether pop music has caused this unhappiness, but I do know that they've been listening to the sad songs longer than they've been living the unhappy lives.
- Nick Hornby

She wouldn't even hold her own baby. His voice cracked when he said that, and something shivered inside my heart. I used to think the saddest thing had happened to me, but now I knew it had happened to my sister instead.
- Jennifer Gooch Hummer

under our love making I felt a bleakness that couldnt be dispelled. The sadness was in both of us, and I think we pitied ourselves that night, as if we were other people looking down on the couple who lay together on the bed
- Siri Hustvedt

Because the sad fact is that the Enron Corporation and others manipulated with unfortunately great effect the energy market in the West Coast starting in 2000.
- Jay Inslee

I'm so jealous," she whispered, and he blinked.
"Of what?"
Her head fell back on the pillow, and she stared up at the ceiling with the saddest eyes he'd ever seen.
"You're so alive, Lore. There's fire in you. A will to live, when all I want is to be done with this life.
- Larissa Ione

The sad thing about any business I suppose, but in mine you see it particularly, is that you're always asked to do what you've already done.
- Jeremy Irons

I have been hunted for twenty-one years. I have literally lived in the saddle. I have never known a day of perfect peace.
- Frank James

It had always been a part of his job which he found difficult, the total lack of privacy for the victim. Murder stripped away more than life itself. The body was parceled, labelled, dissected; address books, diaries, confidential letters, every part of the victim's life was sought out and scrutinized. Alien hands moved among the clothes, picked up and examined the small possessions, recorded and labelled for public view the sad detritus of sometimes pathetic lives.
- P D James

We all build internal sea walls to keep at bay the sadnesses of life and the often overwhelming forces within our minds... But love is, to me, the ultimately more extraordinary part of the breakwater wall: it helps to shut out the terror and awfulness, while, at the same time, allowing in life and beauty and vitality.
- Kay Redfield Jamison

Don't forget: one of the saddest things in life is wasted talent.
- Thomas S Monson

Of all the sad rituals of this inconsequential life, dating must be the saddest of all.
- Toni Jordan

She was reminded of her mother's prophecy one day before her wedding that - he will go completely mad one day. But he seems so happy she told her mother. Its not only the sad who go mad, my child, its also the happy, her mother said.
- Serious Men
- Manu Joseph

The sad truth is that man's real life consists of a complex of inexorable opposites - day and night, birth and death, happiness and misery, good and evil. We are not even sure that one will prevail against the other, that good will overcome evil, or joy defeat pain. Life is a battleground. It always has been and always will be; and if it were not so, existence would come to an end.
- C G Jung

An empty room holds nothing but memories. At least it would, if I didn't just finish packing up the last of the sadness.
- Jarod Kintz

If only. -- You got to admit, standing alone those words are pretty awful, but married together like that, they must be two of the saddest in the English language.
- Lesley Kagen

It is better to travel with hope in one's heart than to arrive in safety.... We should celebrate today's failure because it is a clear sign that our voyage of discovery is not yet over. The day the experiment succeeds is the day the experiment ends. And I inevitably find that the sadness of ending outweighs the celebration of success.
- Jacqueline Kelly

Life was dense, dark, ancient. They watched Dean, serious and insane at his raving wheel, with eyes of hawks. All had their hands outstretched. They had come down from the back mountains and higher places to hold forth their hands for something they thought civilization could offer, and they never dreamed the sadness and the poor broken delusion of it.
- Jack Kerouac

They had come down from the back mountains and higher places to hold forth their hands for something they though civilisation could offer, and they never dreamed the sadness and the poor broken delusion of it. They didn't know that a bomb had come that could crack all our bridges and roads and reduce them to jumbles, and we would be as poor as they someday and stretching out our hands in the same, same way.
- Jack Kerouac

Overpowered by the sadness of not knowing what there is in the world, and what I'm doing. Feeling completely indifferent to good and evil too, to beauty or anything else. I know that this is the root of all human troubles, all of them. Indifferent to that knowledge, too. Nothing got written.
- Jack Kerouac

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eye Contact Quotes

If you must eat a banana in public, never make eye contact. - Darynda Jones I hope the two of you will descend from your love bubble long enough to learn something today," he sniped cuttingly and the other kids snickered. Embarrassed, I ducked my head to avoid eye contact with them. "It's all right, sir," Xavier replied. "The bubble's been engineered to allow us to learn from within it. - Alexandra Adornetto The trick is not to make eye contact. They don't charge if you don't make eye contact. - Sarah Addison Allen I'm Emma. I'm here to make you see the meaning of your life. Her exalted words were totally conquered by her dragging tone and lack of eye contact. - Debra Anastasia I glanced at Derek. The boy wonder didn't melt into a pile of goo, although his gaze was glued to Rowena's chest. Avoiding eye contact. Good strategy. - Ilona Andrews So just look mean and don't make eye contact with anyone. (Syn) Gee, hon, you take m

I Did It My Way Quotes

And now, the end is near, And so I face the final curtain. My friend, I'll say it clear, I'll state my case, of which I'm certain. I've lived a life that's full. I've traveled each and every highway; And more, much more than this, I did it my way. - Frank Sinatra You've got to know your limitations. I don't know what your limitations are. I found out what mine were when I was twelve. I found out that there weren't too many limitations, if I did it my way. - Johnny Cash Every comedian dreams of hosting 'The Tonight Show' and, for seven months, I got to. I did it my way, with people I love, and I do not regret a second. - Conan Obrien It doesn't matter that I didn't win a trophy because I did it my way and I lived the dream. - Alan Shearer

Into The Wild Quotes

You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition. What you'll discover will be wonderful. What you'll discover is yourself. - Alan Alda The creative is the place where no one else has ever been. You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition. - Alan Alda And I'm going to tell the truth: I didn't like that Sean Penn movie Into the Wild so much. Yes! I know it was critically acclaimed. I know it won all these awards! It's very sad that a boy is dead and all. But I thought the movie Enchanted, with the singing princess and the chipmunk and the people dancing in Central Park, was cuter. So there! - Meg Cabot Communing with God is communing with our own hearts, our own best selves, not with something foreign and accidental. Saints and devotees have gone into the wilderness to find God; of course they took God with them, and the silence and detachment enabled them to hear the still, small