I breathe in. The water will wash my wounds clean. I breathe out. My mother submerged me in water when I was a baby, to give me to God. It has been a long time since I thought about God, but I think about him now. It is only natural. I am glad, suddenly, that I shot Eric in the foot instead of the head.
- Veronica Roth
Personally, I always wondered about authors and celebrities who loudly declared there was no God. It was usually when they were healthy and popular and being listened to by crowds. What happens, I wondered, in the quiet moments before death? By then, they have lost the stage, the world has moved on. If suddenly, in their last gasping moments, through fear, a vision, a late enlightenment, they change their minds about God, who would know?
- Mitch Albom
How on earth did it come about that all the things denounced in the Gospels are violently defended by the Christian sects? But we must grow out of religion. It is either bugaboo, formalism, or hysteria. Besides, what proof is there that "the churches" know more about "God" than the Cockney sentry on duty outside the camp? We have only their say-so." ("Sacrifice Post", Lt. Davison)
- Richard Aldington
I have good idea, for if you meet some person from different religion and he want to make argument about God. My idea is, you listen to everything this man say about God. Never argue about God with him. Best thing to say is, 'I agree with you.' Then you go home, pray what you want. This is my idea for people to have peace about religion.
- Elizabeth Gilbert
But doesn't that make sense? That the infinite would be, indeed... infinite? That even the most holy amongst us would only be able to see scattered pictures of the eternal picture at any given time? And that maybe if we could collect those pieces and compare them, a story about God would begin to emerge that resembles and includes everyone?
- Elizabeth Gilbert
Are you telling me you think Ranger's a superhero?'
Think about it. We don't know where he lives. We don't know anything about him.'
Superheroes are make-believe.'
Oh yeah?' Lula said. 'What about God?
- Janet Evanovich
Nature is God's first missionary. Where there is no Bible there are sparkling stars. Where there are not preachers there are spring times...
If a person has nothing but nature, then nature is enough to reveal something about God.
- Max Lucado
The rainbow in place of the unicorn? Why didn't God just restore the unicorn? We animals would have been happier with that, instead of a big hint in the sky about God's magnanimity every time it stopped raining.
- Julian Barnes
The Bible is not man's word about God, but God's word about man.
- John Barth
He talks about God, and loving God. he says that when we open to loving a person, whether that person is a spouse, friend, or child, we open our hearts to loving God. He says when we let someone love us, we're opening our hearts to god's love. he says the acts are the same. p 19
I decide loving isn't for the fain. Its for the courageous. p 19
- Melody Beattie
In the name of God, they stole her time and her freedom, putting shackles on her heart. They preached about God's kindness, but preached twice as much about his wrath and intolerance.
- Haruki Murakami
The position of the Atheist is a clear and reasonable one. I know nothing about 'God' and therefore I do not believe in Him or in it; what you tell me about your God is selfcontradictory, and therefore incredible. I do not deny 'God,' which is an unknown tongue to me; I do deny your God, who is an impossibility. I am without God.
- Annie Besant
Nobody talks about God as those who insist that there is no God.
- Heywood Broun
Mr. Langdon, I did not ask if you believe what man says about God. I asked if you believed in God. There is a difference. Holy scripture is stories...legends and history of man's quest to understand his own need for meaning. I am not asking you to pass judgment on literature. I am asking if you believe in God. When you lie out under the stars, do you sense the divine? Do you feel in your gut that you are staring up at the work of God's hands?
- Dan Brown
The mechanic says, If you're male and you're Christian and living in America, your father is your model for God. And if you never know your father, if your father bails out or dies or is never at home, what do you believe about God?
- Chuck Palahniuk
It is quite natural and inevitable that, if we spend sixteen hours daily of our waking lives in thinking about the affairs of the world and five minutes in thinking about God and our souls, this world will seem two hundred times more real to us than God.
- William Ralph Inge
And why are we supposed to be serious about God? Did God show up and crack the whip? "You there, Annie in Ohio, I see you laughing a lot and frankly it really pisses Me off... " (50)
- Julia Cameron
saying you don't know or care about God is the same as saying you believe he doesn't exist, because if you had even a hope that he existed, you would care very much.
- Orson Scott Card
I am a nuclear physicist by training and a deeply committed Christian. I don't have any doubt in my own mind about God who created the entire universe. But I don't adhere to passages that so and so was created 4,000 years before Christ, and things of that kind.
- Jimmy Carter
The remarkable thing about God is that when you fear God, you fear nothing else, whereas if you do not fear God, you fear everything else.
- Oswald Chambers
From start to finish, this movie is obviously about God. He is the main character. How is is possible that we live as though it is about us?
- Francis Chan
When and how the most painful of situations is going to be resolved and redeemed is no mystery to God. Knowing this truth about God's complete knowledge really does help me accept the unacceptable in my life.
- Elizabeth George
The dead center of existence: when it is all the same to you whether you read a newspaper article or think about God.
- Emil Cioran
What you believe about God has the greatest potential for good or harm in your life.
- Edwin Louis Cole
Your basic person wants to talk about material culture, internet culture. I think about God, cats, nature.
- Billy Corgan
Whereas easy appeals to mystery prematurely shut off reflection about God, rigorous and earnest effort to understand him is richly rewarded with deeper appreciation of who he is, more confidence in his reality and care, and a more intelligent and profound worship of his person.
- William Lane Craig
Beauty can break a heart and make it think about something more spiritual than the mindless routine we go through day after day to get by. Francis was a singer, a poet, an actor. He knew that the imagination was a stealth way into people's souls, a way to get all of us to think about God. For him, beauty was its own apologetic. That's why a church should care about the arts. They inspire all of us to think about the eternal.
- Ian Morgan Cron
Well, I've never left my faith - but have I made a lot of mistakes? But was I fortunate that I was brought up in that Pentecostal church, where I heard about God's love and God's forgiveness.
- Billy Ray Cyrus
The best a man can do is to remain silent, because any time he prates on about God, he is committing the sin of lying. The true master knows that if he had a God he could understand, he would never hold Him to be God.
- Andrew Davidson
God cannot be referred to as 'good,' 'better,' or 'best' because He is above all things. If a man says that God is wise, the man is lying because anything that is wise can become wiser. Anything that a man might say about God is incorrect... The best a man can do is to remain silent...The true master knows that if he had a God he could understand, he would never hold Him to be God.
- Andrew Davidson
People don't come to church for preachments, of course, but to daydream about God.
- Kurt Vonnegut
Eskimo: "If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?" Priest: "No, not if you did not know." Eskimo: "Then why did you tell me?"
- Annie Dillard
Well, suppose intelligent people don't believe, but that's from intelligence, and you, I say, squirt that you are, what do you understand about God? You were taught by some student, and if he'd taught you to light icon lamps, you'd do it.
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Instant obedience will teach you more about God than a lifetime of Bible discussions.
- Rick Warren
What surprises me most about God is that the creator of the universe should want a relationship with me.
- Rick Warren
Imagination is the voice of daring. If there is anything Godlike about God it is that. He dared to imagine everything.
- Henry Miller
You hear a lot about God these days: God, the beneficent; God, the all-great; God, the Almighty; God, the most powerful; God, the giver of life; God, the creator of death. I mean, we're hearing about God all the time, so we better learn how to deal with it. But if we know anything about God, God is arbitrary.
- Bob Dylan
I do not know much about gods;but I think that the river is a strong brown god-sullen, untamed and intractable..
- T S Eliot
The thing I love about God is He intentionally guides people into failure.
- Bob Goff
Well, religion has been passed down through the years by stories people tell around the campfire. Stories about God, stories about love. Stories about good spirits and evil spirits.
- Andrew Greeley
I'm just tired of hearing about God all the time. What has He got to do with anything?... I'm not going to be immoral or commit crimes because I don't believe. I don't even think about that. I just get so tired of Him getting the credit for things the human race achieves through its own effort. Now, there simply is no God. There's only man. And it's he who makes miracles.
- Lorraine Hansberry
All but a prophetic few must go about God's work in very quiet, very unspectacular ways. And as you labor to know Him, and to know that He knows you; as you invest your time--and your convenience--in quiet, unassuming service, you will indeed find that "He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up" (Matthew 4:6).
- Jeffrey R Holland
They're old; they're about God hundreds of years ago. Not about God now"
"But God doesn't change"
"Men do though
- Aldous Huxley
The thing about God, she thought, is that He usually does help, but not until you've made an effort on your own.
- Tove Jansson
No statement about God is simply, literally true. God is far more than can be measured, described, defined in ordinary language, or pinned down to any particular happening.
- David Edward Jenkins
I say to mankind, Be not curious about God. For I, who am curious about each, am not curious about God - I hear and behold God in every object, yet understand God not in the least.
- Walt Whitman
For me, it's about the way I carry myself and the way I treat other people. My relationship and how I feel about God and what He does for me, is something deeply personal. It's where I came from, my family, I was brought up in a religious household and that's very important to me.
- Beyonce Knowles
If you do not listen to theology, that will not mean that you have no ideas about God. It will mean that you have a lot of wrong ones!
- C S Lewis
They talked about God. They had no picture in their minds of some mist steaming upward: rather of strong, skillful hands thrust down to make, and mend, perhaps even to destroy.
- C S Lewis
Nonsense remains nonsense even when we talk it about God.
- C S Lewis
You can't just know about God. You have to KNOW God!
- Carman Licciardello
In silence the three of them looked at the sunset and thought about God.
- Maud Hart Lovelace
Creation discloses a power that baffles our minds and beggars our speech. We are enamored and enchanted by God's power. We stutter and stammer about God's holiness. We tremble before God's majesty...
and yet, we grow squeamish and skittish before God's love.
- Brennan Manning
Living in the middle of beautiy like this, we've no call to have puny ideas about God. Why do you suppose His world is so fancy-fine, so full of wonderment if He doesn't want everything to be good and perfect and right and healthy? But we can spoil His good work. When we mess things up, then we shouldn't blame Him and try to make ourselves feel better by contending that it's what He wanted.
- Catherine Marshall
We must never underestimate our power to be wrong when talking about God, when thinking about God, when imagining God, whether in prose or in poetry. A generous orthodoxy, in contrast to the tense, narrow, or controlling orthodoxies of so much of Christian history, doesn't take itself too seriously. It is humble. It doesn't claim too much. It admits it walks with a limp.
- Brian D Mclaren
My most recent faith struggle is not one of intellect. I don't really do that anymore. Sooner or later you just figure out there are some guys who don't believe in God and they can prove He doesn't exist, and there are some other guys who do believe in God and they can prove He does exist, and the argument stopped being about God a long time ago and now it's about who is smarter, and honestly I don't care.
- Donald Miller
I don't care what Einstein said about God not playing dice; If he exists, he's addicted to craps.
- Henry Mosquera
We can only know one thing about God - that he is what we are not. Our wretchedness alone is an image of this. The more we contemplate it, the more we contemplate him.
- Simone Weil
We stand there for one more moment, looking at each other, and in that instant I feel our connection so strongly it's as though it achieves physical existence, becomes a hand all around us, cupping us together, protecting us. This is what people are always talking about when they talk about God: this feeling, of being held and understood and protected.
- Lauren Oliver
We stand there for a moment, looking at each other, and in that instant I feel our connection so strongly it's as though it achieves physical existence, becomes a hand all around us, cupping us together, protecting us. This is what people are always talking about when they talk about god: this feeling, of being held and understood and protected. feeling this way seems about as close to saying a prayer as you could get..
- Lauren Oliver
How can we turn our knowledge about God into knowledge of God? The rule for doing this is simple but demanding. It is that we turn each Truth that we learn about God into matter for meditation before God, leading to prayer and praise to God.
- J I Packer
Normally most religious people will talk 'at' you for GOD. But spiritual people will talk 'with' you about GOD.
- Stanley Victor Paskavich
Original sin is not only the violation of a positive command ... but ... attempts ... to abolish fatherhood, destroying its rays which permeate the created world, placing in doubt the truth about God who is Love and leaving man with only a sense of the master-slave relationship.
- Pope John Paul Ii
CALVIN:
This whole Santa Claus thing just doesn't make sense. Why all the secrecy? Why all the mystery?
If the guy exists why doesn't he ever show himself and prove it?
And if he doesn't exist what's the meaning of all this?
HOBBES:
I dunno. Isn't this a religious holiday?
CALVIN:
Yeah, but actually, I've got the same questions about God.
- Bill Watterson
The one thing we truly don't understand about God, about Life, and about Humanity is that we are ONE!
- Timothy Pina
At thirteen, I thought more about my acne than I did about God or world peace. At thirteen, many girls spend more time in front of a mirror than they do on their studies. Small flaws become obsessions. Bad hair can ruin a day. A broken fingernail can feel tragic.
- Mary Bray Pipher
Theologians have a great problem because they're seeking to speak about God. Since God is the ground of everything that is, there's a sense in which every human inquiry is grist to the theological mill. Obviously, no theologian can know everything.
- John Polkinghorne
There are lots of people out there who think they know the truth about God and religion, but does anybody really know for sure? That's why the founding fathers built freedom of religious belief into the structure of this nation, so that everybody could make up their minds for themselves.
- Jesse Ventura
Nobody minded what you did in bed or what you said about God, a very civilized attitude in 1948.
- Simon Raven
To the mind, God is a perfect criminal. He has done such a perfect crime by creating this world that mind cannot trace how He did it. That is why the mind always freaks out about God.
- Prem Rawat
That's all you need to know about Godspeed," he says. "Although you should also know this. I am Eldest."
Good for you, I think. Congrats on being old.
- Beth Revis
Eldest: That's all you need to know about Godspeed. Although you should also know this. I am Eldest.
Amy: Good for you. Congrats on being old.
- Beth Revis
Who that prohibits two people who have different views about God to love each other?
- Aditia Rinaldi
My mother was a churchgoing lady, so I always heard about God at home.
- Smokey Robinson
Nothing true can be said about God from a posture of defense.
- Marilynne Robinson
Jews talk a lot about God. But actually their god, just like Marx said, is money. Cash!
- George Lincoln Rockwell
In contrast, the a/theistic approach can be seen as a form of disbelieving what one believes, or rather, believing in God while remaining dubious concerning what one believes about God (a distinction that fundamentalism is unable to maintain).
- Peter Rollins
Mamma, don't you see -- you shouldn't hit me. He shouldn't hit me. You shouldn't hit me about God, Mamma. You should never hit anybody about God...
- Philip Roth
So what does that make you think about God?
I think that maybe, if human beings have souls, that maybe their souls are in their eyes. That maybe that's what the color is. Their souls.
- Brent Runyon
Pablito, the Bible was meant to be a bridge, not a wedge. It's the greatest love story ever told, about God's enduring and unconditional love for his creation--love beyond all reason. To understand it, you have to read it with love as the standard. Love God. Love your neighbor. Love yourself. Always remember that.
- Alex Sanchez
Belief must be something different from a mixture of opinions about God and the world, and of precepts for one life or for two. Piety cannot be an instinct craving for a mess of metaphysical and ethical crumbs.
- Friedrich Schleiermacher
The call to delight in our heavenly Father is not one that can be rightly obeyed with bootstrap effort. One cannot grimly determine to rejoice in the grace of God. The only way to rejoice the way David did is to be overcome with emotion. David's joyous dance was true to who he was and true to how he felt about God. It was David becoming like a child, so much so that he insisted on giving in to his willingness, even his eagerness, to become undignified.
- Benno C Schmidt Jr
We all have the right of freedom of speech under the First Amendment. We all don't have to agree with one another on our opinions. Everyone in my circle, that I run around with, we all feel the same about God, country, integrity and character.
- Luke Scott
I am not politically correct. I am all about the facts, I am all about the truth and I am all about Godly pursuits and what this country was built on, and I am not apologetic about it.
- Luke Scott
...until she was old enough to understand about God and biology and luck, she asked.
- Melissa Senate
The first five years of a child's life create their future. Teach them about love, about God, and about how special and loved they are. Create a successful and happy future for them. OM
- Deb Simpson
Oh, I don't talk about God.
- Shepard Smith
And suddenly Vincent clearly realised what his subconsciousness had known for a long time. All the talks about God are just childish elusion, just a lie that calms a scared and lonely ordinary mortal in a dark and neverending night. There is no God. Sure as fate - there is no God. There is only chaos - dismal, painful, cruel, agonizing, blind, endless chaos.
- Irving Stone
I don't know much about God. But if everything does originate with God, then certainly songs do as well.
- James Taylor
I am passionate about God, about Jesus, and what His influences do to me.
- Tobymac
What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us.
- A W Tozer
Were we able to extract from any man a complete answer to the question, "What comes into your mind when you think about God?" we might predict with certainty the future of that man.
- A W Tozer
He smiled hesitantly and she smiled back in the same fashion, but he was unsettled by the thought that Muriel had undergone a transformation. Some of the stuff that had come out of her mouth lately, about God or babies, made him wonder if she'd had a brain transplant at some point in the last ten years. It was funny what happened to people after forty, when they realized that our place here on earth was leased, not owned.
- Scott Turow
I've learned one important thing about God's gifts - what we do with them is our gift to Him.
- Robert Wagner
Quotes About God S Will
Quotes tagged as "god-s-will" (showing 1-36 of 38)
"Make sure you are doing what God wants you to do--then do it with all your strength."
George Washington
- George Washington
Zen does not confuse spirituality with thinking about God while one is peeling potatoes. Zen spirituality is just to peel the potatoes.
- Alan Watts
They say you can rap about anything except for Jesus, that means guns, sex, lies, video tapes, but if I talk about God my record won't get played Huh?
- Kanye West
There is no avoiding the fact that we live at the mercy of our ideas This is never more true than with our ideas about God.
- Dallas Willard
[Arguments about God are] like pointing a flashlight toward the sky to see if the sun is shining.
- N T Wright
- Veronica Roth
Personally, I always wondered about authors and celebrities who loudly declared there was no God. It was usually when they were healthy and popular and being listened to by crowds. What happens, I wondered, in the quiet moments before death? By then, they have lost the stage, the world has moved on. If suddenly, in their last gasping moments, through fear, a vision, a late enlightenment, they change their minds about God, who would know?
- Mitch Albom
How on earth did it come about that all the things denounced in the Gospels are violently defended by the Christian sects? But we must grow out of religion. It is either bugaboo, formalism, or hysteria. Besides, what proof is there that "the churches" know more about "God" than the Cockney sentry on duty outside the camp? We have only their say-so." ("Sacrifice Post", Lt. Davison)
- Richard Aldington
I have good idea, for if you meet some person from different religion and he want to make argument about God. My idea is, you listen to everything this man say about God. Never argue about God with him. Best thing to say is, 'I agree with you.' Then you go home, pray what you want. This is my idea for people to have peace about religion.
- Elizabeth Gilbert
But doesn't that make sense? That the infinite would be, indeed... infinite? That even the most holy amongst us would only be able to see scattered pictures of the eternal picture at any given time? And that maybe if we could collect those pieces and compare them, a story about God would begin to emerge that resembles and includes everyone?
- Elizabeth Gilbert
Are you telling me you think Ranger's a superhero?'
Think about it. We don't know where he lives. We don't know anything about him.'
Superheroes are make-believe.'
Oh yeah?' Lula said. 'What about God?
- Janet Evanovich
Nature is God's first missionary. Where there is no Bible there are sparkling stars. Where there are not preachers there are spring times...
If a person has nothing but nature, then nature is enough to reveal something about God.
- Max Lucado
The rainbow in place of the unicorn? Why didn't God just restore the unicorn? We animals would have been happier with that, instead of a big hint in the sky about God's magnanimity every time it stopped raining.
- Julian Barnes
The Bible is not man's word about God, but God's word about man.
- John Barth
He talks about God, and loving God. he says that when we open to loving a person, whether that person is a spouse, friend, or child, we open our hearts to loving God. He says when we let someone love us, we're opening our hearts to god's love. he says the acts are the same. p 19
I decide loving isn't for the fain. Its for the courageous. p 19
- Melody Beattie
In the name of God, they stole her time and her freedom, putting shackles on her heart. They preached about God's kindness, but preached twice as much about his wrath and intolerance.
- Haruki Murakami
The position of the Atheist is a clear and reasonable one. I know nothing about 'God' and therefore I do not believe in Him or in it; what you tell me about your God is selfcontradictory, and therefore incredible. I do not deny 'God,' which is an unknown tongue to me; I do deny your God, who is an impossibility. I am without God.
- Annie Besant
Nobody talks about God as those who insist that there is no God.
- Heywood Broun
Mr. Langdon, I did not ask if you believe what man says about God. I asked if you believed in God. There is a difference. Holy scripture is stories...legends and history of man's quest to understand his own need for meaning. I am not asking you to pass judgment on literature. I am asking if you believe in God. When you lie out under the stars, do you sense the divine? Do you feel in your gut that you are staring up at the work of God's hands?
- Dan Brown
The mechanic says, If you're male and you're Christian and living in America, your father is your model for God. And if you never know your father, if your father bails out or dies or is never at home, what do you believe about God?
- Chuck Palahniuk
It is quite natural and inevitable that, if we spend sixteen hours daily of our waking lives in thinking about the affairs of the world and five minutes in thinking about God and our souls, this world will seem two hundred times more real to us than God.
- William Ralph Inge
And why are we supposed to be serious about God? Did God show up and crack the whip? "You there, Annie in Ohio, I see you laughing a lot and frankly it really pisses Me off... " (50)
- Julia Cameron
saying you don't know or care about God is the same as saying you believe he doesn't exist, because if you had even a hope that he existed, you would care very much.
- Orson Scott Card
I am a nuclear physicist by training and a deeply committed Christian. I don't have any doubt in my own mind about God who created the entire universe. But I don't adhere to passages that so and so was created 4,000 years before Christ, and things of that kind.
- Jimmy Carter
The remarkable thing about God is that when you fear God, you fear nothing else, whereas if you do not fear God, you fear everything else.
- Oswald Chambers
From start to finish, this movie is obviously about God. He is the main character. How is is possible that we live as though it is about us?
- Francis Chan
When and how the most painful of situations is going to be resolved and redeemed is no mystery to God. Knowing this truth about God's complete knowledge really does help me accept the unacceptable in my life.
- Elizabeth George
The dead center of existence: when it is all the same to you whether you read a newspaper article or think about God.
- Emil Cioran
What you believe about God has the greatest potential for good or harm in your life.
- Edwin Louis Cole
Your basic person wants to talk about material culture, internet culture. I think about God, cats, nature.
- Billy Corgan
Whereas easy appeals to mystery prematurely shut off reflection about God, rigorous and earnest effort to understand him is richly rewarded with deeper appreciation of who he is, more confidence in his reality and care, and a more intelligent and profound worship of his person.
- William Lane Craig
Beauty can break a heart and make it think about something more spiritual than the mindless routine we go through day after day to get by. Francis was a singer, a poet, an actor. He knew that the imagination was a stealth way into people's souls, a way to get all of us to think about God. For him, beauty was its own apologetic. That's why a church should care about the arts. They inspire all of us to think about the eternal.
- Ian Morgan Cron
Well, I've never left my faith - but have I made a lot of mistakes? But was I fortunate that I was brought up in that Pentecostal church, where I heard about God's love and God's forgiveness.
- Billy Ray Cyrus
The best a man can do is to remain silent, because any time he prates on about God, he is committing the sin of lying. The true master knows that if he had a God he could understand, he would never hold Him to be God.
- Andrew Davidson
God cannot be referred to as 'good,' 'better,' or 'best' because He is above all things. If a man says that God is wise, the man is lying because anything that is wise can become wiser. Anything that a man might say about God is incorrect... The best a man can do is to remain silent...The true master knows that if he had a God he could understand, he would never hold Him to be God.
- Andrew Davidson
People don't come to church for preachments, of course, but to daydream about God.
- Kurt Vonnegut
Eskimo: "If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?" Priest: "No, not if you did not know." Eskimo: "Then why did you tell me?"
- Annie Dillard
Well, suppose intelligent people don't believe, but that's from intelligence, and you, I say, squirt that you are, what do you understand about God? You were taught by some student, and if he'd taught you to light icon lamps, you'd do it.
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Instant obedience will teach you more about God than a lifetime of Bible discussions.
- Rick Warren
What surprises me most about God is that the creator of the universe should want a relationship with me.
- Rick Warren
Imagination is the voice of daring. If there is anything Godlike about God it is that. He dared to imagine everything.
- Henry Miller
You hear a lot about God these days: God, the beneficent; God, the all-great; God, the Almighty; God, the most powerful; God, the giver of life; God, the creator of death. I mean, we're hearing about God all the time, so we better learn how to deal with it. But if we know anything about God, God is arbitrary.
- Bob Dylan
I do not know much about gods;but I think that the river is a strong brown god-sullen, untamed and intractable..
- T S Eliot
The thing I love about God is He intentionally guides people into failure.
- Bob Goff
Well, religion has been passed down through the years by stories people tell around the campfire. Stories about God, stories about love. Stories about good spirits and evil spirits.
- Andrew Greeley
I'm just tired of hearing about God all the time. What has He got to do with anything?... I'm not going to be immoral or commit crimes because I don't believe. I don't even think about that. I just get so tired of Him getting the credit for things the human race achieves through its own effort. Now, there simply is no God. There's only man. And it's he who makes miracles.
- Lorraine Hansberry
All but a prophetic few must go about God's work in very quiet, very unspectacular ways. And as you labor to know Him, and to know that He knows you; as you invest your time--and your convenience--in quiet, unassuming service, you will indeed find that "He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up" (Matthew 4:6).
- Jeffrey R Holland
They're old; they're about God hundreds of years ago. Not about God now"
"But God doesn't change"
"Men do though
- Aldous Huxley
The thing about God, she thought, is that He usually does help, but not until you've made an effort on your own.
- Tove Jansson
No statement about God is simply, literally true. God is far more than can be measured, described, defined in ordinary language, or pinned down to any particular happening.
- David Edward Jenkins
I say to mankind, Be not curious about God. For I, who am curious about each, am not curious about God - I hear and behold God in every object, yet understand God not in the least.
- Walt Whitman
For me, it's about the way I carry myself and the way I treat other people. My relationship and how I feel about God and what He does for me, is something deeply personal. It's where I came from, my family, I was brought up in a religious household and that's very important to me.
- Beyonce Knowles
If you do not listen to theology, that will not mean that you have no ideas about God. It will mean that you have a lot of wrong ones!
- C S Lewis
They talked about God. They had no picture in their minds of some mist steaming upward: rather of strong, skillful hands thrust down to make, and mend, perhaps even to destroy.
- C S Lewis
Nonsense remains nonsense even when we talk it about God.
- C S Lewis
You can't just know about God. You have to KNOW God!
- Carman Licciardello
In silence the three of them looked at the sunset and thought about God.
- Maud Hart Lovelace
Creation discloses a power that baffles our minds and beggars our speech. We are enamored and enchanted by God's power. We stutter and stammer about God's holiness. We tremble before God's majesty...
and yet, we grow squeamish and skittish before God's love.
- Brennan Manning
Living in the middle of beautiy like this, we've no call to have puny ideas about God. Why do you suppose His world is so fancy-fine, so full of wonderment if He doesn't want everything to be good and perfect and right and healthy? But we can spoil His good work. When we mess things up, then we shouldn't blame Him and try to make ourselves feel better by contending that it's what He wanted.
- Catherine Marshall
We must never underestimate our power to be wrong when talking about God, when thinking about God, when imagining God, whether in prose or in poetry. A generous orthodoxy, in contrast to the tense, narrow, or controlling orthodoxies of so much of Christian history, doesn't take itself too seriously. It is humble. It doesn't claim too much. It admits it walks with a limp.
- Brian D Mclaren
My most recent faith struggle is not one of intellect. I don't really do that anymore. Sooner or later you just figure out there are some guys who don't believe in God and they can prove He doesn't exist, and there are some other guys who do believe in God and they can prove He does exist, and the argument stopped being about God a long time ago and now it's about who is smarter, and honestly I don't care.
- Donald Miller
I don't care what Einstein said about God not playing dice; If he exists, he's addicted to craps.
- Henry Mosquera
We can only know one thing about God - that he is what we are not. Our wretchedness alone is an image of this. The more we contemplate it, the more we contemplate him.
- Simone Weil
We stand there for one more moment, looking at each other, and in that instant I feel our connection so strongly it's as though it achieves physical existence, becomes a hand all around us, cupping us together, protecting us. This is what people are always talking about when they talk about God: this feeling, of being held and understood and protected.
- Lauren Oliver
We stand there for a moment, looking at each other, and in that instant I feel our connection so strongly it's as though it achieves physical existence, becomes a hand all around us, cupping us together, protecting us. This is what people are always talking about when they talk about god: this feeling, of being held and understood and protected. feeling this way seems about as close to saying a prayer as you could get..
- Lauren Oliver
How can we turn our knowledge about God into knowledge of God? The rule for doing this is simple but demanding. It is that we turn each Truth that we learn about God into matter for meditation before God, leading to prayer and praise to God.
- J I Packer
Normally most religious people will talk 'at' you for GOD. But spiritual people will talk 'with' you about GOD.
- Stanley Victor Paskavich
Original sin is not only the violation of a positive command ... but ... attempts ... to abolish fatherhood, destroying its rays which permeate the created world, placing in doubt the truth about God who is Love and leaving man with only a sense of the master-slave relationship.
- Pope John Paul Ii
CALVIN:
This whole Santa Claus thing just doesn't make sense. Why all the secrecy? Why all the mystery?
If the guy exists why doesn't he ever show himself and prove it?
And if he doesn't exist what's the meaning of all this?
HOBBES:
I dunno. Isn't this a religious holiday?
CALVIN:
Yeah, but actually, I've got the same questions about God.
- Bill Watterson
The one thing we truly don't understand about God, about Life, and about Humanity is that we are ONE!
- Timothy Pina
At thirteen, I thought more about my acne than I did about God or world peace. At thirteen, many girls spend more time in front of a mirror than they do on their studies. Small flaws become obsessions. Bad hair can ruin a day. A broken fingernail can feel tragic.
- Mary Bray Pipher
Theologians have a great problem because they're seeking to speak about God. Since God is the ground of everything that is, there's a sense in which every human inquiry is grist to the theological mill. Obviously, no theologian can know everything.
- John Polkinghorne
There are lots of people out there who think they know the truth about God and religion, but does anybody really know for sure? That's why the founding fathers built freedom of religious belief into the structure of this nation, so that everybody could make up their minds for themselves.
- Jesse Ventura
Nobody minded what you did in bed or what you said about God, a very civilized attitude in 1948.
- Simon Raven
To the mind, God is a perfect criminal. He has done such a perfect crime by creating this world that mind cannot trace how He did it. That is why the mind always freaks out about God.
- Prem Rawat
That's all you need to know about Godspeed," he says. "Although you should also know this. I am Eldest."
Good for you, I think. Congrats on being old.
- Beth Revis
Eldest: That's all you need to know about Godspeed. Although you should also know this. I am Eldest.
Amy: Good for you. Congrats on being old.
- Beth Revis
Who that prohibits two people who have different views about God to love each other?
- Aditia Rinaldi
My mother was a churchgoing lady, so I always heard about God at home.
- Smokey Robinson
Nothing true can be said about God from a posture of defense.
- Marilynne Robinson
Jews talk a lot about God. But actually their god, just like Marx said, is money. Cash!
- George Lincoln Rockwell
In contrast, the a/theistic approach can be seen as a form of disbelieving what one believes, or rather, believing in God while remaining dubious concerning what one believes about God (a distinction that fundamentalism is unable to maintain).
- Peter Rollins
Mamma, don't you see -- you shouldn't hit me. He shouldn't hit me. You shouldn't hit me about God, Mamma. You should never hit anybody about God...
- Philip Roth
So what does that make you think about God?
I think that maybe, if human beings have souls, that maybe their souls are in their eyes. That maybe that's what the color is. Their souls.
- Brent Runyon
Pablito, the Bible was meant to be a bridge, not a wedge. It's the greatest love story ever told, about God's enduring and unconditional love for his creation--love beyond all reason. To understand it, you have to read it with love as the standard. Love God. Love your neighbor. Love yourself. Always remember that.
- Alex Sanchez
Belief must be something different from a mixture of opinions about God and the world, and of precepts for one life or for two. Piety cannot be an instinct craving for a mess of metaphysical and ethical crumbs.
- Friedrich Schleiermacher
The call to delight in our heavenly Father is not one that can be rightly obeyed with bootstrap effort. One cannot grimly determine to rejoice in the grace of God. The only way to rejoice the way David did is to be overcome with emotion. David's joyous dance was true to who he was and true to how he felt about God. It was David becoming like a child, so much so that he insisted on giving in to his willingness, even his eagerness, to become undignified.
- Benno C Schmidt Jr
We all have the right of freedom of speech under the First Amendment. We all don't have to agree with one another on our opinions. Everyone in my circle, that I run around with, we all feel the same about God, country, integrity and character.
- Luke Scott
I am not politically correct. I am all about the facts, I am all about the truth and I am all about Godly pursuits and what this country was built on, and I am not apologetic about it.
- Luke Scott
...until she was old enough to understand about God and biology and luck, she asked.
- Melissa Senate
The first five years of a child's life create their future. Teach them about love, about God, and about how special and loved they are. Create a successful and happy future for them. OM
- Deb Simpson
Oh, I don't talk about God.
- Shepard Smith
And suddenly Vincent clearly realised what his subconsciousness had known for a long time. All the talks about God are just childish elusion, just a lie that calms a scared and lonely ordinary mortal in a dark and neverending night. There is no God. Sure as fate - there is no God. There is only chaos - dismal, painful, cruel, agonizing, blind, endless chaos.
- Irving Stone
I don't know much about God. But if everything does originate with God, then certainly songs do as well.
- James Taylor
I am passionate about God, about Jesus, and what His influences do to me.
- Tobymac
What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us.
- A W Tozer
Were we able to extract from any man a complete answer to the question, "What comes into your mind when you think about God?" we might predict with certainty the future of that man.
- A W Tozer
He smiled hesitantly and she smiled back in the same fashion, but he was unsettled by the thought that Muriel had undergone a transformation. Some of the stuff that had come out of her mouth lately, about God or babies, made him wonder if she'd had a brain transplant at some point in the last ten years. It was funny what happened to people after forty, when they realized that our place here on earth was leased, not owned.
- Scott Turow
I've learned one important thing about God's gifts - what we do with them is our gift to Him.
- Robert Wagner
Quotes About God S Will
Quotes tagged as "god-s-will" (showing 1-36 of 38)
"Make sure you are doing what God wants you to do--then do it with all your strength."
George Washington
- George Washington
Zen does not confuse spirituality with thinking about God while one is peeling potatoes. Zen spirituality is just to peel the potatoes.
- Alan Watts
They say you can rap about anything except for Jesus, that means guns, sex, lies, video tapes, but if I talk about God my record won't get played Huh?
- Kanye West
There is no avoiding the fact that we live at the mercy of our ideas This is never more true than with our ideas about God.
- Dallas Willard
[Arguments about God are] like pointing a flashlight toward the sky to see if the sun is shining.
- N T Wright