What work I have done I have done because it has been play. If it had been work I shouldn't have done it.... The work that is really a man's own work is play and not work at all.... When we talk about the great workers of the world we really mean the great players of the world.
- Mark Twain
Behind that, there was something else at work, beyond any design of the ring maker. I can put it no plainer than by saying that Bilbo was meant to find the ring, and not by its maker. In which case you also were meant to have it. And that may be an encouraging thought.
- J R R Tolkien
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works.
- Douglas Adams
The glacier was God's great plough set at work ages ago to grind, furrow, and knead over, as it were, the surface of the earth.
- Louis Agassiz
Every faction conditions its members to think and act a certain way. And most people do it. For most people, it's not hard to learn, to find a pattern of thought that works and stay that way. But our minds move in a dozen different directions. We can't be confined to one way of thinking, and that terrifies our leaders. It means we can't be controlled. And it means that no matter what they do, we will always cause trouble for them.
- Veronica Roth
What people regard as vanityleaving great works, having children, acting in such a way as to prevent one's name from being forgottenI regard as the highest expression of human dignity.
- Paulo Coelho
But I think half the battle is figuring out what works for you, and I am much better at being a mother than I ever would have been as a lawyer. I sometimes wonder if it is just me, or if there are other women who figure out where they are supposed to be by going nowhere. - My Sister's Keeper
- Jodi Picoult
the relationship between people knot so easily, there needs to be a person skilled at working free the threads. Sometimes, though, the only way to extricate a tangle is to cut it out and start fresh.
- Jodi Picoult
Sometimes knowing what's right isn't a rational decision, or even what works on paper. Sometimes leaving is the best course of action after all.
- Jodi Picoult
I'm an angry person, angrier than most people would imagine, I get flashes of anger. What works for me is working out when it's useful to use that anger.
- Alan Alda
I remember you thirty percent off boardshorts," he said, smirking slightly. I couldn't believe he remembered that. It had been weeks ago.
"They're down to fifty percent off now," I said. "If you want a deal, there are still some left."
I wanted to smack myself in the head. I could not believe I was flirting by talking about a sale at work. I was a conversational moron.
- Monica Alexander
Somebody dies and people eat your food. Funny how that works.
- Sherman Alexie
He looked back at her, and when she saw the look on his face, she saw his eyes at Renwick's, when he had watched the Portal that separated him from his home shatter into a thousand irretrievable pieces. He held her gaze for a split second, then looked away from her, the muscles in his throat working.
- Cassandra Clare
There are some scenes that work beautifully in a moving, sweeping master, which is how I like to work.
- Debbie Allen
For the past eight years, the right has been better at working the refs. Now the left is learning how to play the game.
- Eric Alterman
Even a soul submerged in sleep
is hard at work and helps
make something of the world.
- Heraclitus
Look, girls know when they're cute," he said. "You don't have to tell them. All they need to do is look in the mirror. I have one friend out in New York, an attorney. She moved out there after the school year to take the bar. She doesn't have a job. I was like, 'How are you going to get a job there in this market?' And she's like, 'I'll wink and I'll smile.' She's a pretty girl. Whether that works despite her poor grades is yet to be seen.
- Daniel Amory
So you and the lovely Agent Scully are going down to investigate?' Frohike said, sounding hopeful.
'Yeah, we leave for Cancun tomorrow.'
'Our tax dollars at work,' Langly snorted.
'I'd love to see Agent Scully with a healthy tropical tan,' Frohike said.
'Down, Frohike,' Mulder said.
- Kevin J Anderson
I got to spend all of my time every day at work reading and editing papers about cutting-edge technical research and getting paid for it. Then I'd go home at night and turn what I learned into science fiction stories.
- Kevin J Anderson
Anything that works against you can also work for you once you understand the Principle of Reverse.
- Maya Angelou
I sped through heaven and saw god at work. I suffered holy pains. I dropped all my defences and was afraid of nothing in the world. I accepted all things and to all things I gave up my heart.
- Hermann Hesse
Well, every movie is an experiment. And the only way you can grow at what you're doing is to take chances. You can't try to stick with what worked last time.
- Judd Apatow
Fear of error which everything recalls to me at every moment of the flight of my ideas, this mania for control, makes men prefer reason's imagination to the imagination of the senses. And yet it is always the imagination alone which is at work.
- Louis Aragon
Or maybe it was the soul that worked that way, seeking out warmth and touch, needing to prove that we were still in the world of living.
- Jennifer L Armentrout
If it is written and read with serious attention, a novel, like a myth or any great work of art, can become an initiation that helps us to make a painful rite of passage from one phase of life, one state of mind, to another. A novel, like a myth, teaches us to see the world differently; it shows us how to look into ou...r own hearts and to see our world from a perspective that goes beyond our own self-interest.
- Karen Armstrong
Obviously, I come from one background, and the people that design fitness equipment have been doing it for years and years, and they know what works and doesn't work.
- Lance Armstrong
My assignment was exclusively in the research field, and my first published paper, On the Optimal Use of Winds for Flight Planning, was the outgrowth of that work.
- Kenneth Joseph Arrow
I'm looking at working with people I get on with, that respect me, that don't just see me as a piece of ass. Which I have experienced as well. I've nearly walked off very big films before, and I would, because I don't want that in my life. I want to enjoy the work I do.
- Gemma Arterton
Don't forget the chocolate fudge frosting!"
"Gotcha," Dad shouted back.
"Good to know, even after a family drama, Gwen's still hard at work on that great ass," Gus noted.
- Kristen Ashley
You must keep sending work out; you must never let a manuscript do nothing but eat its head off in a drawer. You send that work out again and again, while you're working on another one. If you have talent, you will receive some measure of success - but only if you persist.
- Isaac Asimov
Everything's going to be fine. She'll be back at work soon. Let's just keep the house clean. Oh yeah, I want to say, because a clean house will result in peace in the Middle East as well.
- Melina Marchetta
That work was what appealed to him most about their conversations.
Tom liked having to think fast, and he found it invigorating
to push his mind in unaccustomed directions for a change,
to be forced to stay on his toes.
- Paul Auster
And behind it lies not blind chance but a principle that works to help us understand, a thousand "coincidences" and friends come to show us the way when the problem seems too hard to solve alone. Problems for overcoming. Freedom for proving. And, as long as we believe in our dream, nothing by chance.
- Richard Bach
TV is so seductive with a great workday. You're going to work and making people laugh, and that's fantastic.
- Jillian Bach
No great work has ever been produced except after a long interval of still and musing meditation.
- Walter Bagehot
We must not defend our message (that Christ's Word is self-attesting and possessing ultimate authority from the Lord) with a method that works counter to it- by claiming an ultimate epistemological standard outside of Christ's Word of truth.
- Greg L Bahnsen
I want kids to enjoy skating and I think it's a great workout.
- Oksana Baiul
I have an everyday religion that works for me. Love yourself first, and everything else falls into line.
- Lucille Ball
She had originally agreed to appear naked, but on seeing the cars informed me that she would only appear toplessan interesting logic was at work there.
- J G Ballard
The moment you think you understand a great work of art, it's dead for you.
- Oscar Wilde
Every great work of art has two faces, one toward its own time and one toward the future, toward eternity.
- Lester Bangs
Of the things we fashioned for them that they might be comforted, dawn is the one that works.
- John Banville
Every great work of art has two faces, one toward its own time and one toward the future, toward eternity.
- Daniel Barenboim
I pu my finger to her lips. "You have to hush a minute so that I can tell you something."
"What?" she says, bites my finger.
I look at her. "I love you."
She gets quiet, the kind of quiet that sinks into her, softens her. "Well that works out," she finally says, her voice deeper and breathless, her eyes moist, "because I love you too." She turns, leans against my arm, and settles into me.
- Brad Barkley
Everyone's fake in certain situations. It's like when you go for a job interview and they ask you, "What would you do if you found one of your friends at work stealing?" and, let's face it, no one's going to tell on their friend. But of course you have to say, "I would tell IMMEDIATELY, because I don't think I could work in that kind of environment, it's not good for my morale." No one wants to look like an idiot.
- Lauren Barnholdt
Hmmm. See, in this world, Xirena, the Simi does what she wants and akri, he say, 'Okay, Simi, whatever you want, Simi.' Unless it involves eating people; then he usually says no, but that's the only time. Other than that, he do what the Simi says. See how that works? (Simi)
- Sherrilyn Kenyon
Sam gave Captain Suicide a droll stare. How did you die again? Oh wait, I know this. 'I can take 'em. I don't need to wait for reinforcements. I can do it myself.' How'd that work out for you again?
- Sherrilyn Kenyon
See, Cletus has this thing for cheese, but since he has no thumbs he has to have me give him his cheese on his food every night. If I die, no one else knows about Cletus and the cheese, and poor old Cletus would lose his mind. So I can't die until he does. See how that works? (Jack)
- Sherrilyn Kenyon
See, I know this game. You flatter me, make me laugh and feel good about myself. Then the next thing I know you're walking out the door with your pockets stuffed with my money, telling the world what an asshole I am. Let's just skip straight to the end where you get out of my house and tell everyone I'm a dick. Yeah, that works for me. (Aiden)
- Sherrilyn Kenyon
Producing is so exciting because you can enable things to happen, whether it's like discovering a filmmaker who you're taking a chance on, protecting a battle and driving home at the end of the day just going, 'I'm so glad I stayed late at work and fought hard for that. Had my passion. Won that battle.'
- Drew Barrymore
All those young photographers who are at work in the world, determined upon the capture of actuality, do not know that they are agents of Death.
- Roland Barthes
People are so cheap. Everyone wants quality, no one wants to pay for it. Here's the suburban dream-- to hire great workers who are such meek morons that they don't have the guts to ask for a living wage.
- Joan Bauer
The love scenes that worked, regardless of the director, were the ones where the actors weren't fearful. When somebody was fearful, you could see it right away. It takes you out of the story, and that's to be avoided at all costs.
- Jennifer Beals
All great deeds and all great thoughts have a ridiculous beginning. Great works are often born on a street corner or in a restaurant's revolving door.
- Albert Camus
Like great works, deep feelings always mean more than they are conscious of saying.
- Albert Camus
I never want to be away from you again, except at work, in the restroom or when one of us is at a movie the other does not want to see.
- Lemony Snicket
Courage is a decision you make to act in a way that works through your own fear for the greater good as opposed to pure self-interest. Courage means putting at risk your immediate self-interest for what you believe is right.
- Derrick A Bell
George's voice became deeper. He repeated his words rhythmically as though he had said them many times before. 'Guys like us, that work on ranches, are the loneliest guys in the world. They got no family. They don't belong no place. They come to a ranch an' work up a stake, and the first thing you know they're poundin' their tail on some other ranch. They ain't got nothing to look ahead to.
- John Steinbeck
It is the task of the translator to release in his own language that pure language that is under the spell of another, to liberate the language imprisoned in a work in his re-creation of that work.
- Walter Benjamin
That work led to the emergence of the recombinant DNA technology thereby providing a major tool for analyzing mammalian gene structure and function and formed the basis for me receiving the 1980 Nobel Prize in Chemistry.
- Paul Berg
What the hell kind of revolution have you got just tossing out big words that working-class people can't understand?
- Haruki Murakami
A regular wind-up toy world this is, I think. Once a day the wind-up bird has to come and wind the springs of this world. Alone in this fun house, only I grow old, a pale softball of death swelling inside me. Yet even as I sleep somewhere between Saturn and Uranus, wind-up birds everywhere are busy at work fulfilling their appointed rounds.
- Haruki Murakami
It must be awfully frustrating to get a small raise at work and then have it all eaten by a higher cost of commuting.
- Ben Bernanke
Seek the lofty by reading, hearing and seeing great work at some moment every day.
- Thornton Wilder
IT professionals have a responsibility to understand the use of standards and the importance of making Web applications that work with any kind of device.
- Tim Bernerslee
[All the ancient wisdom] tells us that work is necessary to us, as much a part of our condition as mortality; that good work is our salvation and our joy; that shoddy or dishonest or self-serving work is our curse and our doom. We have tried to escape the sweat and sorrow promised in Genesis - only to find that, in order to do so, we must forswear love and excellence, health and joy.
(pg. 44, "The Unsettling of America")
- Wendell Berry
Do what you want that works.
- Toba Beta
There are two kinds of companies, those that work to try to charge more and those that work to charge less. We will be the second.
- Jeff Bezos
We all had our reservations about possibly overdoing it but, you know, the script was great. Basically it stuck to the formula that worked for the first two movies, and for that reason I think this works as well.
- Jason Biggs
An English journalist called Michael Viney told me when I was 25, that I would write well if I cared a lot what I was writing about. That worked. I went home that day and wrote about parents not understanding their children as well as we teachers did, and it was published the very next week.
- Maeve Binchy
Workers work hard enough to not be fired, and owners pay just enough so that workers won't quit.
- Robert Kiyosaki
I got behind that pencil and nothing happened for many years, but since they put me in the Songwriters Hall of Fame, I've turned around. I took a good look at myself and said, I think it's time to get back at work.
- Otis Blackwell
Don't you find that work, if you love it, is actually really invigorating?
- Cate Blanchett
I'm not sitting on a soapbox telling women what they should and shouldn't do, but I know what works for me.
- Cate Blanchett
I'd sit around dreaming that the boys I saw at shows or at work - the boys with silver earrings and big boots - would tell me I was beautiful, take me home and feed me Thai food or omelets and undress me and make love to me all night with the palm trees whispering windsongs about a tortured gleaming city and the moonlight like flame melting our candle bodies.
- Francesca Lia Block
I'm not a light-hearted person, so I can't think light-hearted at work.
- Eric Bogosian
The return from your work must be the satisfaction which that work brings you and the world's need of that work. With this, life is heaven, or as near heaven as you can get. Without this with work which you despise, which bores you, and which the world does not need this life is hell.
- W E B Du Bois
Being a child at home alone in the summer is a high-risk occupation. If you call your mother at work thirteen times an hour, she can hurt you.
- Erma Bombeck
We ought not to be in too much of a hurry here to speak piously of God's will and guidance. It is obvious, and it should not be ignored, that it is your own very human wills that are at work here, celebrating their triumph; the course that you are taking at the outset is one that you have chosen for yourselves...
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Yes Headwoman Azaze. But I never lie to Rosethorn. She, um, discourages it."
"Evvy and I have an understanding." She grabbed the teakettle and poured hot water into the mug. "She tells me the truth, and I don't hang her in the first well we come to. It's a solution that works tolerably well for both of us.
- Tamora Pierce
He was overconfident", she told him. "And I won so the gods must have thought I was right. Otherwise they'd have made me lose. You know how trial by combat works."
"You won because you were good" he corrected her. "I find it hard to believe the gods sit forever about the Divine Realms betting on jousts and trials by combat.
- Tamora Pierce
I got a job immediately after leaving high school; I was lucky - three dollars a week and all I could eat, working on a vegetable truck.
- Ernest Borgnine
Great works are performed not by strength but by perseverance.
- Samuel Johnson
Parts are not to be examined till the whole has been surveyed; there is a kind of intellectual remoteness necessary for the comprehension of any great work in its full design and its true proportions; a close approach shews the smaller niceties, but the beauty of the whole is discerned no longer.
- Samuel Johnson
If your determination is fixed, I do not counsel you to despair. Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance.
- Samuel Johnson
There will be no politics, no ifs and buts; if we see something and feel that work needs to be done, we will get people here we can rely on and ensure it is done in the same thorough way as our other projects.
- Ian Botham
Even if our loved ones have assured us that they'll be busy at work, even if they told us they hated us for going travelling in the first place, even if they left us last June or died twelve years ago, it is impossible not to experience a shiver of a sense that they may have come along anyway, just to surprise us and make us feel special.
- Alain De Botton
A great work is made out of a combination of obedience and liberty.
- Nadia Boulanger
Variety is very, very good. Going from medium to medium, if you get the chance to do it, from theater to television to film, which are all distinctly different, keeps me sharp. What works in one doesn't work in the other, and you have to be looking for the truth of the performance, whatever way that medium might demand.
- Kenneth Branagh
And I also felt that no one in an audience could abuse me worse than the sort of abuse I had had at work as a psychiatric nurse.
- Jo Brand
I was thinking that work is like fertilizer in that I'm glad it exists; I just don't ever want to get stuck in it.
- Brandon Sanderson
Oh, I wouldn't say that. Work, my dear Blushweaver, is like fertilizer."
"It smells?"
He smiled. "No, I was thinking that work is like fertilizer in that I'm glad it exists; I just don't ever want to get stuck in it.
- Brandon Sanderson
I am hard at work on the second draft... Second draft is really a misnomer as there are a gazillion revisions, large and small, that go into the writing of a book.
- Libba Bray
There will always be a place for us somewhere, somehow, as long as we see to it that working people fight for everything they have, everything they hope to get, for dignity, equality, democracy, to oppose war and to bring to the world a better life.
- Harry Bridges
A great friendship was like a great work of art, he thought. It took time and attention, and a spark of something that was impossible to describe. It was a happy, lucky accident, finding some kindred part of yourself in a total stranger. pg. 287
- Elise Broach
Progressive art can assist people to learn not only about the objective forces at work in the society in which they live, but also about the intensely social character of their interior lives. Ultimately, it can propel people toward social emancipation.
- Salvador Dali
When you don't have much and you need to be at work, there's no such thing as being sick.
- Scott Brooks
No matter how much pressure you feel at work, if you could find ways to relax for at least five minutes every hour, you'd be more productive.
- Joyce Brothers
Now how can anybody look at that and not believe in God? I mean, how can anybody look at this and not believe there is some higher power, some divine force at work in the universe greater than Man, some god that created it, that created all this, that created us?
- Katharine Hepburn
I like the way you touch me."
"I like to touch you... That works out for us, huh?
- Jeffrey Brown
It turns out I'm not very good at working with a traditional boss.
- Carrie Brownstein
The shrewd guess, the fertile hypothesis, the courageous leap to a tentative conclusion - these are the most valuable coins of the thinker at work. But in most schools guessing is heavily penalized and is associated somehow with laziness.
- Jerome Bruner
But our system of regulation must keep up with this. If it fails to keep up, it will hold back economic expansion. We need financial market regulation that works at national and European level.
- John Bruton
... The Book is more important than your plans for it. You have to go with what works for The Book.
- E A Bucchianeri
I just find things that work and embellish them.
- Lindsey Buckingham
The reason why the continental European is, to the Englishman or American, so surprisingly ignorant of the Bible, is that the authorized English version is a great work of literary art, and the continental versions are comparatively artless.
- George Bernard Shaw
Until today, it really pissed me off that I'd become this totally centered Zen Master, and nobody had noticed. Still, i'm doing the little FAX thing. I write little HAIKU things and FAX them around to everyone. When i pass people in the hall at work, I get toally ZEN right in everyone's hostile little FACE.
- Chuck Palahniuk
Amos stopped before the entrance, which was the size of a garage doora dark heavy square of timber with no visible handle or lock. "Carter after you."
"Um, how do I"
"How do you think?"
Great another mystery. I was about to suggest we ram Amos's head against it and see if that worked.
- Rick Riordan
A perverse nature can be stimulated by anything. Any book can be used as a pornographic instrument, even a great work of literature if the mind that so uses it is off-balance. I once found a small boy masturbating in the presence of the Victorian steel-engraving in a family Bible.
- Anthony Burgess
If you have a great work in your head, nothing else thrives near it; all other thoughts are repelled, and the pleasure of life itself is for the time lost.
- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
There are two big forces at work, external and internal. We have very little control over external forces such as tornadoes, earthquakes, floods, disasters, illness and pain. What really matters is the internal force. How do I respond to those disasters? Over that I have complete control.
- Leo Buscaglia
So we get a plan," I said. "Any suggestions?"
"Blow up the building," Kincaid said without looking up. "That works good for vampires. Then soak what's left in gasoline. Set it on fire. Then blow it all up again."
"For future reference, I was sort of hoping for a suggestion that didn't sound like it came from that Bolshevik Muppet with all the dynamite.
- Jim Butcher
It's my job."
"Then thanks for showing up at work today.
- Shannon K Butcher
Race and class are rendered distinct analytically only to produce the realization that the analysis of the one cannot proceed without the other. A different dynamic it seems to me is at work in the critique of new sexuality studies.
- Judith Butler
To do great work one must be very idle as well as very industrious.
- Samuel Butler
Evil, and evil spirits, devils and devil possession, are the outgrowth of man's inadequate consciousness of God. We must avoid thinking of evil as a thing in itself - a force that works against man or, against God, if you will.
- Eric Butterworth
If all of us would require the same level of performance from ourselves as we expect from government, this city will forever be the city that works.
- Jane Byrne
I'm sticking my tongue out in scenes to try to make that work in 3D. I'm thinking I'll try to get my tongue all the way out to the second row of the audience.
- Nicolas Cage
Most of the people who are in elective office in Washington, D.C., they have held public office before. How's that workin' for you?
- Herman Cain
but sometimes optimism is the only drug that works.
But it's sadly temporary in its effects.
- Rachel Caine
I saw Hunter when I woke up. I saw Hunter as I ate a bowl of cereal. I saw him in human sexuality, where he seemed to be trying to break a record for most innuendos in one hour. I saw him at work where he assaulted my email. I saw him every night at dinner. I saw him go to and from the bathroom. I saw him at our stupid meditations, where were as pointless as socks with sandals.
I. Saw. Him. EVERYWHERE.
- Chelsea M Cameron
We will say to people that if you can work, and if you want to work, we will do everything we can to help you. We will give you the training, we will give you the support, we will give you the advice to get you going and get you back at work.
- David Cameron
The need to be a great artist makes it hard to be an artist. The need to produce a great work of art makes it hard to produce any art at all.
- Julia Cameron
So, I just kind of played the way I played and then eventually we kind of figured out what worked best for the band. So, I definitely changed my stuff up and I think we're playing really tight now.
- Matt Cameron
There's nothing militant about Jesus. I don't read anything like that in any of the gospels. Peter drew his sword and cut off the servant's ear, and Jesus said, "Put back thy sword, Peter." But Peter has had his sword out and at work ever since.
- Joseph Campbell
The classes that wash most are those that work least.
- Gilbert K Chesterton
I have been working for years to promote a responsible energy policy that works to increase energy efficiency and invest in alternative and renewable energy sources.
- Lois Capps
Like running the hurdles. Work so hard, jump over every one, fast, high enough but no higher, because you can't afford to hang in the air. And then, when the race is over, you're dripping with sweat, either they beat you or you beat them... and then a couple of guys come out and move the hurdles out of the way. Turns out they were nothing. All that work to jump over them, but now they're gone.
- Orson Scott Card
Truth is what works.
- William James
I am done with great things and big things, great institutions and big success, and I am for those tiny, invisible molecular moral forces that work from individual to individual, creeping through the crannies of the world like so many rootlets, or like the capillary oozing of water, yet which if you give them time, will rend the hardest monuments of man's pride.
- William James
I knew one thing: as soon as anyone said you didn't need a gun, you'd better take one along that worked.
- Raymond Chandler
There's an old maxim that says, 'Things that work persist,' which is why there's still Cobol floating around.
- Vinton Cerf
We always know when Jesus is at work because He produces in the commonplace something that is inspiring.
- Oswald Chambers
From year to year, and from age to age, we see [biologists] at work, adding no doubt much to the unknown, and advancing many important interests, but, at the same time, doing little for the establishment of comprehensive views of nature. Experiments in however narrow a walk, facts of whatever minuteness, make reputations in scientific societies; all beyond is regarded with suspicion and distrust.
- Robert Chambers
Coincidences happen, but I've come to believe they are actually quite rare. Something is at work, okay? Somewhere in the universe (or behind it), a great machine is ticking and turning its fabulous gears.
- Stephen King
I think that there is far too much work done in the world, that immense harm is caused by the belief that work is virtuous, and that what needs to be preached in modern industrial countries is quite different from what always has been preached.
- Bertrand Russell
We've done it in intelligence sharing and certain elements of security. There were parts of the department, in fact, that worked very well in Katrina, like the Coast Guard and TSA.
- Michael Chertoff
Only soldiers and labouring men can appreciate how glorious it really is to lie late in bed in winter-time. When your life revolves around having to to be at work at seven o'clock in the morning you know everything about that ghastly lep up still half asleep and the rush to put your head under a tap of ice-cold water with the barbarous object of shocking yourself awake.
- Maurice Chevalier
The team architecture means setting up an organization that helps people produce that great work in teams.
- Jay Chiat
The intellectual architecture means focusing on doing great work instead of focusing on agency politics.
- Jay Chiat
Sometimes I'll come up with a lick that I really love, and I'll try to put the right words to it for years. Suddenly something comes to me that works just right.
- Alex Chilton
Between takes I find it difficult to switch off and then try and re-emerge myself in the part, so I try to stay in that frame of mine all day. It can be exhausting and you lose a sense of self, but it is the method that works best for me.
- Hayden Christensen
I was utilized because I have a certain face that works well in cinema, and I'm used to making myself look as good as possible.
- Julie Christie
I am a coach on the outside of the establishment and that works.
- Linford Christie
Therefore we have to go over the fact that all human beings are afraid by what is new. It is our work to convince them that they will enjoy it, and even if they don't, to allow us just for 14 days to create that work of art.
- Christo
I think you need someone in your life you can depend on, someone you can confide in when things go to hell at work, someone to massage your tired feet and your stiff shoulders, someone to bring you tea and cook a meal once
in a while. Someone to be there for you.
- Pamela Clare
If you go forward in the spirit of the original apostles and followers of Jesus Christ, trusting not in man but in the living God, he will enable you to pull down the strong holds of sin and Satan, and that work by which he is pleased will prosper in your hands.
- Adam Clarke
I'm the perfect amount of guarded. I don't reveal too much, and I never reveal who the songs are about. They are real life. People get that. I date a lot of musicians and they do the same thing. People that work with me - who I write about too - they get it. It's my creative outlet, my therapy.
- Kelly Clarkson
Holly Hunter has been doing great work forever.
- Patricia Clarkson
You find me at work; excuse the dust on my blouse. I sculpt my marble myself.
- Camille Claudel
Just trying to get a visual of you on the beach in Spain...
How's that working out for you?
Pretty spiffy.
Spiffy? Did you just say spiffy?
I typed it actually. You got something against spiffy?
- Alice Clayton
If a couple has their picture taken at a wedding or other social gathering, and the woman looks hot, her guy could be blinking, chewing, or even mid-sneeze, and she'll still display it on her desk at work.
- Brian P Cleary
When times are tough and people are frustrated and angry and hurting and uncertain, the politics of constant conflict may be good, but what is good politics does not necessarily work in the real world. What works in the real world is cooperation.
- William J Clinton
The first lesson I've learned is that no matter what you do in your life, you have to figure out your own internal rhythms - I mean, what works for you doesn't necessarily work for your friend.
- Hillary Clinton
We don't have enough support for maternal leave and the kinds of things that some of the European countries do. So we still make it hard on women to go into the work force and feel that they can be good at work but then doing the most important job, which is raising your children in a responsible and positive way.
- Hillary Clinton
I try something new every night. It's an hour show; if it works I maybe try it a few more times and then move that off and try something new. It's a great workshop for me.
- Kate Clinton
I'm not sure we should get camera phones, that's all."
She hit the remote and the car doors unlocked. She reached for the door handle. Matt hesitated.
Olivia looked at him.
"What?" he asked.
"If we both get camera phones," Olivia said, "I could send you nuddies when you're at work."
Matt opened the door. "Verizon on Sprint?"
from The Innocent
- Harlan Coben
I still manage to spend around 40 hours a week at work but it is a lot more focused on what can make money as opposed to what makes me look good in the papers.
- Benjamin Cohen
Regin!" He leapt up from a bunk.
"Well, well, the gang's all here." Nix must've given him Regin's whereabouts. Again.
"I'm going to get you out of here," he said, his green eyes aglow.
She snorted. "Let me know how that works out for you, Job MacBangup." Seeing Brandr here just brought her situation into stark relief. "It's curious though--you don't usually show up until it's time to bury him.
- Kresley Cole
Perfect freedom is reserved for the man who lives by his own work and in that work does what he wants to do.
- Robin G Collingwood
I'll save me money, thanks. Already diagnosed meself, anyway. I'm a cactus.'
'Cactus? Right. Great work, there, Doc. I'm glad you're not my bloody doctor.
- Bill Condon
The Master said, The case is like that of someone raising a mound. If he stops working, the fact that it perhaps needed only one more basketful makes no difference; I stay where I am. Whereas even if he has not got beyond leveling the ground, but is still at work, the fact that he has only tilted one basketful of earth makes no difference. I go to help him.
- Confucius
Self-reform is the only kind that works.
- Mason Cooley
The incessant anxiety and strain of some is a well-nigh incurable form of disease. We are made to exaggerate the importance of what work we do...How vigilant we are! determined not live by faith if we can avoid it; all the day long on the alert, at night we unwillingly say our prayers and commit ourselves to uncertainties.
- Henry David Thoreau
I wanted to be a 150% entrepreneur and a 150% mom, and I found that I was having a very hard time doing both. I was about 75% and 75% - still better than 100%, but not what I was accustomed to at work.
- Barbara Corcoran
I have found in life that if you want a miracle you first need to do whatever it is you can do if that's to plant, then plant; if it is to read, then read; if it is to change, then change; if it is to study, then study; if it is to work, then work; whatever you have to do. And then you will be well on your way of doing the labor that works miracles.
- Jim Rohn
I don't think just scaring people is enough. That worked during the freeze days to a major extent, but we really didn't achieve that much even at that time. You have to have more, you have to give people hope and a vision of a better world.
- Alan Cranston
I don't waste as much time at work because I'd rather spend it with my kids.
- Cindy Crawford
The Great Work is the uniting of opposites. It may mean the uniting of
the soul with God, of the microcosm with the macrocosm, of the female
with the male, of the ego with the non-egoor what not.
- Aleister Crowley
But I'm very happy to work within tight parameters, and when you know you have an actor for two days, and you have to get that work done in two days, that focuses the mind wonderfully.
- John Crowley
I'm talkin' about you. Stop pretending you're normal. You're insane. Make that work for you.
- Jennifer Crusie
Make sure you are the boss. I don't think I would encourage executives that work for me to blog. There can be only 1 public vision for an organization.
- Mark Cuban
When I was a small boy, I used to play with toy cars and dream about the day I could own a real one. Many people still play with their cars today. They are in their 20s, 40s, maybe even 70s, but they still behave like little children when it comes to purchasing an automobile.
There is a simple law at work in the universe: if it has a motor, it's going down in value.
- Celso Cukierkorn
If you do television, and it's great, it's the best job there is. Every week it's another opportunity to really make that work and figure out how to make it work better. I love that it's like theater too, and the audience, and it's so short, like twenty minutes... It's like a Haiku or something.
- Joan Cusack
Every week it's another opportunity to really make that work and figure out how to make it work better. And I love that it's like theater, too, and the audience, and it's so short. It's only 20 minutes. It's like a haiku or something.
- Joan Cusack
After all, it is style alone by which posterity will judge of a great work, for an author can have nothing truly his own but his style.
- Isaac Disraeli
While we were at work there came nine or 10 of the natives to a small hill a little way from us, and stood there menacing and threatening of us, and making a great noise. At last one of them came towards us, and the rest followed at a distance.
- William Dampier
Starting a new retirement plan for those below a certain age is something tens of millions of Americans have already been through at work.
- Mitch Daniels
It's not just a revue where one song is done, then another. There are concepts and ideas at work.
- Hal David
But are the twin souls destined to be together? Synchronicity is at work here to bring the two back together again. How entrancing to find the same magical alchemy still at work, just as it was at the first meeting a recognition of a deep rooted love so entrenched and so accepted, it could only have been forged in other lifetimes together. And probably that is what love at first sight is, recognition of an ancient love.
- Chimnese Davids
Working with the Kinks, there always seemed to be some kind of automatic process at work. Ray and I had this telepathy happening for a long time, where one of us always knew what the other could do with something.
- Dave Davies
Faustina is a great work of the Creator. She has nothing of what you call brains; she doesn't need them for her destiny... It is to be glorious for a few years: not to outlive some dull husband and live on his money till she is eighty, going to lectures and comparing the attractions of winter tours that offer the romance of the Caribbean.
- Robertson Davies
Do not suppose, however, that I intend to urge a diet of classics on anybody. I have seen such diets at work. I have known people who have actually read all, or almost all, the guaranteed Hundred Best Books. God save us from reading nothing but the best.
- Robertson Davies
Science is magic that works.
- Kurt Vonnegut
Pregressive art can assist people to learn not only about the objective forces at work in the society in which they live, but also about the intensity social character of their interior lives. Ultimately, it can propel people toward social emancipation
- Angela Davis
It's like any great medicine that works. It tastes absolutely lousy going down, but ultimately helps and heals you. And that's what Juilliard was. Juilliard is classical training. They don't really want to focus on what you do well - that's what got you into the school. They're training you to do other stuff well, which may not come easily to you.
- Viola Davis
The typical journalist's typical lead for the typical Canadian story nowadays is along this line: that Canadians are hard at work trying to gain a reputation as a nation of rapid social change.
- Stockwell Day
None of the activity stolen by work can be regained by submitting to what work has produced. - The Society of The Spectacle
- Guy Debord
It is at work everywhere, functioning smoothly at times, at other times in fits and starts. It breathes, it heats, it eats. It shits and fucks. What a mistake to have ever said the id.
- Gilles Deleuze
I remember the guest stars who came, they were always trying to find a new plot for their characters because they wanted to stay. It was really a great working environment.
- Caroline Dhavernas
You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go. It is the basic condition of life, to be required to violate your own identity. At some time, every creature which lives must do so. It is the ultimate shadow, the defeat of creation; this is the curse at work, the curse that feeds on all life. Everywhere in the universe.
- Philip K Dick
You are hard at work madam ," said the man near her.
Yes," Answered Madam Defarge ; " I have a good deal to do."
What do you make, Madam ?"
Many things."
For instance ---"
For instance," returned Madam Defarge , composedly ,
Shrouds."
The man moved a little further away, as soon as he could, feeling it mightily close and oppressive.
- Charles Dickens
I feel something very small growing inside me as I look at her, and I realize in one absolutely clear moment that I don't like her at all.
'You know what?' I say. 'Forget it. I'll do the list by myself.'
She stands up, swings her stupid hair about and tries to look offended. It's a trick that works with guys, but it makes no difference to the way I feel about her.
- Jenny Downham
On the molecular scale, you find it's reasonable to have a machine that does a million steps per second, a mechanical system that works at computer speeds.
- K Eric Drexler
Strength of character may be learned at work, but beauty of character is learned at home.
- Henry Drummond
More can be learned from what works than from what fails.
- Rene Dubos
I like pouring your tea, lifting
the heavy pot, and tipping it up,
so the fragrant liquid steams in your china cup.
Or when you're away or at work,
I like to think of your cupped hands as you sip,
as you sip, of the faint half-smile of your lips.
- Carol Ann Duffy
There is something at work in my soul, which I do not understand.
- Mary Shelley
Any woman or man who would write the truth of their lives would write a great work. But no one has dared to write the truth of their lives.
- Isadora Duncan
It struck me that working digitally with a small crew, I could lay out a general plan for Famous and hope for mistakes which would create something more than satire and something less than truthful reality.
- Griffin Dunne
The great work must inevitably be obscure, except to the very few, to those who like the author himself are initiated into the mysteries. Communication then is secondary: it is perpetuation which is important. For this only one good reader is necessary.
- Henry Miller
- Mark Twain
Behind that, there was something else at work, beyond any design of the ring maker. I can put it no plainer than by saying that Bilbo was meant to find the ring, and not by its maker. In which case you also were meant to have it. And that may be an encouraging thought.
- J R R Tolkien
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works.
- Douglas Adams
The glacier was God's great plough set at work ages ago to grind, furrow, and knead over, as it were, the surface of the earth.
- Louis Agassiz
Every faction conditions its members to think and act a certain way. And most people do it. For most people, it's not hard to learn, to find a pattern of thought that works and stay that way. But our minds move in a dozen different directions. We can't be confined to one way of thinking, and that terrifies our leaders. It means we can't be controlled. And it means that no matter what they do, we will always cause trouble for them.
- Veronica Roth
What people regard as vanityleaving great works, having children, acting in such a way as to prevent one's name from being forgottenI regard as the highest expression of human dignity.
- Paulo Coelho
But I think half the battle is figuring out what works for you, and I am much better at being a mother than I ever would have been as a lawyer. I sometimes wonder if it is just me, or if there are other women who figure out where they are supposed to be by going nowhere. - My Sister's Keeper
- Jodi Picoult
the relationship between people knot so easily, there needs to be a person skilled at working free the threads. Sometimes, though, the only way to extricate a tangle is to cut it out and start fresh.
- Jodi Picoult
Sometimes knowing what's right isn't a rational decision, or even what works on paper. Sometimes leaving is the best course of action after all.
- Jodi Picoult
I'm an angry person, angrier than most people would imagine, I get flashes of anger. What works for me is working out when it's useful to use that anger.
- Alan Alda
I remember you thirty percent off boardshorts," he said, smirking slightly. I couldn't believe he remembered that. It had been weeks ago.
"They're down to fifty percent off now," I said. "If you want a deal, there are still some left."
I wanted to smack myself in the head. I could not believe I was flirting by talking about a sale at work. I was a conversational moron.
- Monica Alexander
Somebody dies and people eat your food. Funny how that works.
- Sherman Alexie
He looked back at her, and when she saw the look on his face, she saw his eyes at Renwick's, when he had watched the Portal that separated him from his home shatter into a thousand irretrievable pieces. He held her gaze for a split second, then looked away from her, the muscles in his throat working.
- Cassandra Clare
There are some scenes that work beautifully in a moving, sweeping master, which is how I like to work.
- Debbie Allen
For the past eight years, the right has been better at working the refs. Now the left is learning how to play the game.
- Eric Alterman
Even a soul submerged in sleep
is hard at work and helps
make something of the world.
- Heraclitus
Look, girls know when they're cute," he said. "You don't have to tell them. All they need to do is look in the mirror. I have one friend out in New York, an attorney. She moved out there after the school year to take the bar. She doesn't have a job. I was like, 'How are you going to get a job there in this market?' And she's like, 'I'll wink and I'll smile.' She's a pretty girl. Whether that works despite her poor grades is yet to be seen.
- Daniel Amory
So you and the lovely Agent Scully are going down to investigate?' Frohike said, sounding hopeful.
'Yeah, we leave for Cancun tomorrow.'
'Our tax dollars at work,' Langly snorted.
'I'd love to see Agent Scully with a healthy tropical tan,' Frohike said.
'Down, Frohike,' Mulder said.
- Kevin J Anderson
I got to spend all of my time every day at work reading and editing papers about cutting-edge technical research and getting paid for it. Then I'd go home at night and turn what I learned into science fiction stories.
- Kevin J Anderson
Anything that works against you can also work for you once you understand the Principle of Reverse.
- Maya Angelou
I sped through heaven and saw god at work. I suffered holy pains. I dropped all my defences and was afraid of nothing in the world. I accepted all things and to all things I gave up my heart.
- Hermann Hesse
Well, every movie is an experiment. And the only way you can grow at what you're doing is to take chances. You can't try to stick with what worked last time.
- Judd Apatow
Fear of error which everything recalls to me at every moment of the flight of my ideas, this mania for control, makes men prefer reason's imagination to the imagination of the senses. And yet it is always the imagination alone which is at work.
- Louis Aragon
Or maybe it was the soul that worked that way, seeking out warmth and touch, needing to prove that we were still in the world of living.
- Jennifer L Armentrout
If it is written and read with serious attention, a novel, like a myth or any great work of art, can become an initiation that helps us to make a painful rite of passage from one phase of life, one state of mind, to another. A novel, like a myth, teaches us to see the world differently; it shows us how to look into ou...r own hearts and to see our world from a perspective that goes beyond our own self-interest.
- Karen Armstrong
Obviously, I come from one background, and the people that design fitness equipment have been doing it for years and years, and they know what works and doesn't work.
- Lance Armstrong
My assignment was exclusively in the research field, and my first published paper, On the Optimal Use of Winds for Flight Planning, was the outgrowth of that work.
- Kenneth Joseph Arrow
I'm looking at working with people I get on with, that respect me, that don't just see me as a piece of ass. Which I have experienced as well. I've nearly walked off very big films before, and I would, because I don't want that in my life. I want to enjoy the work I do.
- Gemma Arterton
Don't forget the chocolate fudge frosting!"
"Gotcha," Dad shouted back.
"Good to know, even after a family drama, Gwen's still hard at work on that great ass," Gus noted.
- Kristen Ashley
You must keep sending work out; you must never let a manuscript do nothing but eat its head off in a drawer. You send that work out again and again, while you're working on another one. If you have talent, you will receive some measure of success - but only if you persist.
- Isaac Asimov
Everything's going to be fine. She'll be back at work soon. Let's just keep the house clean. Oh yeah, I want to say, because a clean house will result in peace in the Middle East as well.
- Melina Marchetta
That work was what appealed to him most about their conversations.
Tom liked having to think fast, and he found it invigorating
to push his mind in unaccustomed directions for a change,
to be forced to stay on his toes.
- Paul Auster
And behind it lies not blind chance but a principle that works to help us understand, a thousand "coincidences" and friends come to show us the way when the problem seems too hard to solve alone. Problems for overcoming. Freedom for proving. And, as long as we believe in our dream, nothing by chance.
- Richard Bach
TV is so seductive with a great workday. You're going to work and making people laugh, and that's fantastic.
- Jillian Bach
No great work has ever been produced except after a long interval of still and musing meditation.
- Walter Bagehot
We must not defend our message (that Christ's Word is self-attesting and possessing ultimate authority from the Lord) with a method that works counter to it- by claiming an ultimate epistemological standard outside of Christ's Word of truth.
- Greg L Bahnsen
I want kids to enjoy skating and I think it's a great workout.
- Oksana Baiul
I have an everyday religion that works for me. Love yourself first, and everything else falls into line.
- Lucille Ball
She had originally agreed to appear naked, but on seeing the cars informed me that she would only appear toplessan interesting logic was at work there.
- J G Ballard
The moment you think you understand a great work of art, it's dead for you.
- Oscar Wilde
Every great work of art has two faces, one toward its own time and one toward the future, toward eternity.
- Lester Bangs
Of the things we fashioned for them that they might be comforted, dawn is the one that works.
- John Banville
Every great work of art has two faces, one toward its own time and one toward the future, toward eternity.
- Daniel Barenboim
I pu my finger to her lips. "You have to hush a minute so that I can tell you something."
"What?" she says, bites my finger.
I look at her. "I love you."
She gets quiet, the kind of quiet that sinks into her, softens her. "Well that works out," she finally says, her voice deeper and breathless, her eyes moist, "because I love you too." She turns, leans against my arm, and settles into me.
- Brad Barkley
Everyone's fake in certain situations. It's like when you go for a job interview and they ask you, "What would you do if you found one of your friends at work stealing?" and, let's face it, no one's going to tell on their friend. But of course you have to say, "I would tell IMMEDIATELY, because I don't think I could work in that kind of environment, it's not good for my morale." No one wants to look like an idiot.
- Lauren Barnholdt
Hmmm. See, in this world, Xirena, the Simi does what she wants and akri, he say, 'Okay, Simi, whatever you want, Simi.' Unless it involves eating people; then he usually says no, but that's the only time. Other than that, he do what the Simi says. See how that works? (Simi)
- Sherrilyn Kenyon
Sam gave Captain Suicide a droll stare. How did you die again? Oh wait, I know this. 'I can take 'em. I don't need to wait for reinforcements. I can do it myself.' How'd that work out for you again?
- Sherrilyn Kenyon
See, Cletus has this thing for cheese, but since he has no thumbs he has to have me give him his cheese on his food every night. If I die, no one else knows about Cletus and the cheese, and poor old Cletus would lose his mind. So I can't die until he does. See how that works? (Jack)
- Sherrilyn Kenyon
See, I know this game. You flatter me, make me laugh and feel good about myself. Then the next thing I know you're walking out the door with your pockets stuffed with my money, telling the world what an asshole I am. Let's just skip straight to the end where you get out of my house and tell everyone I'm a dick. Yeah, that works for me. (Aiden)
- Sherrilyn Kenyon
Producing is so exciting because you can enable things to happen, whether it's like discovering a filmmaker who you're taking a chance on, protecting a battle and driving home at the end of the day just going, 'I'm so glad I stayed late at work and fought hard for that. Had my passion. Won that battle.'
- Drew Barrymore
All those young photographers who are at work in the world, determined upon the capture of actuality, do not know that they are agents of Death.
- Roland Barthes
People are so cheap. Everyone wants quality, no one wants to pay for it. Here's the suburban dream-- to hire great workers who are such meek morons that they don't have the guts to ask for a living wage.
- Joan Bauer
The love scenes that worked, regardless of the director, were the ones where the actors weren't fearful. When somebody was fearful, you could see it right away. It takes you out of the story, and that's to be avoided at all costs.
- Jennifer Beals
All great deeds and all great thoughts have a ridiculous beginning. Great works are often born on a street corner or in a restaurant's revolving door.
- Albert Camus
Like great works, deep feelings always mean more than they are conscious of saying.
- Albert Camus
I never want to be away from you again, except at work, in the restroom or when one of us is at a movie the other does not want to see.
- Lemony Snicket
Courage is a decision you make to act in a way that works through your own fear for the greater good as opposed to pure self-interest. Courage means putting at risk your immediate self-interest for what you believe is right.
- Derrick A Bell
George's voice became deeper. He repeated his words rhythmically as though he had said them many times before. 'Guys like us, that work on ranches, are the loneliest guys in the world. They got no family. They don't belong no place. They come to a ranch an' work up a stake, and the first thing you know they're poundin' their tail on some other ranch. They ain't got nothing to look ahead to.
- John Steinbeck
It is the task of the translator to release in his own language that pure language that is under the spell of another, to liberate the language imprisoned in a work in his re-creation of that work.
- Walter Benjamin
That work led to the emergence of the recombinant DNA technology thereby providing a major tool for analyzing mammalian gene structure and function and formed the basis for me receiving the 1980 Nobel Prize in Chemistry.
- Paul Berg
What the hell kind of revolution have you got just tossing out big words that working-class people can't understand?
- Haruki Murakami
A regular wind-up toy world this is, I think. Once a day the wind-up bird has to come and wind the springs of this world. Alone in this fun house, only I grow old, a pale softball of death swelling inside me. Yet even as I sleep somewhere between Saturn and Uranus, wind-up birds everywhere are busy at work fulfilling their appointed rounds.
- Haruki Murakami
It must be awfully frustrating to get a small raise at work and then have it all eaten by a higher cost of commuting.
- Ben Bernanke
Seek the lofty by reading, hearing and seeing great work at some moment every day.
- Thornton Wilder
IT professionals have a responsibility to understand the use of standards and the importance of making Web applications that work with any kind of device.
- Tim Bernerslee
[All the ancient wisdom] tells us that work is necessary to us, as much a part of our condition as mortality; that good work is our salvation and our joy; that shoddy or dishonest or self-serving work is our curse and our doom. We have tried to escape the sweat and sorrow promised in Genesis - only to find that, in order to do so, we must forswear love and excellence, health and joy.
(pg. 44, "The Unsettling of America")
- Wendell Berry
Do what you want that works.
- Toba Beta
There are two kinds of companies, those that work to try to charge more and those that work to charge less. We will be the second.
- Jeff Bezos
We all had our reservations about possibly overdoing it but, you know, the script was great. Basically it stuck to the formula that worked for the first two movies, and for that reason I think this works as well.
- Jason Biggs
An English journalist called Michael Viney told me when I was 25, that I would write well if I cared a lot what I was writing about. That worked. I went home that day and wrote about parents not understanding their children as well as we teachers did, and it was published the very next week.
- Maeve Binchy
Workers work hard enough to not be fired, and owners pay just enough so that workers won't quit.
- Robert Kiyosaki
I got behind that pencil and nothing happened for many years, but since they put me in the Songwriters Hall of Fame, I've turned around. I took a good look at myself and said, I think it's time to get back at work.
- Otis Blackwell
Don't you find that work, if you love it, is actually really invigorating?
- Cate Blanchett
I'm not sitting on a soapbox telling women what they should and shouldn't do, but I know what works for me.
- Cate Blanchett
I'd sit around dreaming that the boys I saw at shows or at work - the boys with silver earrings and big boots - would tell me I was beautiful, take me home and feed me Thai food or omelets and undress me and make love to me all night with the palm trees whispering windsongs about a tortured gleaming city and the moonlight like flame melting our candle bodies.
- Francesca Lia Block
I'm not a light-hearted person, so I can't think light-hearted at work.
- Eric Bogosian
The return from your work must be the satisfaction which that work brings you and the world's need of that work. With this, life is heaven, or as near heaven as you can get. Without this with work which you despise, which bores you, and which the world does not need this life is hell.
- W E B Du Bois
Being a child at home alone in the summer is a high-risk occupation. If you call your mother at work thirteen times an hour, she can hurt you.
- Erma Bombeck
We ought not to be in too much of a hurry here to speak piously of God's will and guidance. It is obvious, and it should not be ignored, that it is your own very human wills that are at work here, celebrating their triumph; the course that you are taking at the outset is one that you have chosen for yourselves...
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Yes Headwoman Azaze. But I never lie to Rosethorn. She, um, discourages it."
"Evvy and I have an understanding." She grabbed the teakettle and poured hot water into the mug. "She tells me the truth, and I don't hang her in the first well we come to. It's a solution that works tolerably well for both of us.
- Tamora Pierce
He was overconfident", she told him. "And I won so the gods must have thought I was right. Otherwise they'd have made me lose. You know how trial by combat works."
"You won because you were good" he corrected her. "I find it hard to believe the gods sit forever about the Divine Realms betting on jousts and trials by combat.
- Tamora Pierce
I got a job immediately after leaving high school; I was lucky - three dollars a week and all I could eat, working on a vegetable truck.
- Ernest Borgnine
Great works are performed not by strength but by perseverance.
- Samuel Johnson
Parts are not to be examined till the whole has been surveyed; there is a kind of intellectual remoteness necessary for the comprehension of any great work in its full design and its true proportions; a close approach shews the smaller niceties, but the beauty of the whole is discerned no longer.
- Samuel Johnson
If your determination is fixed, I do not counsel you to despair. Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance.
- Samuel Johnson
There will be no politics, no ifs and buts; if we see something and feel that work needs to be done, we will get people here we can rely on and ensure it is done in the same thorough way as our other projects.
- Ian Botham
Even if our loved ones have assured us that they'll be busy at work, even if they told us they hated us for going travelling in the first place, even if they left us last June or died twelve years ago, it is impossible not to experience a shiver of a sense that they may have come along anyway, just to surprise us and make us feel special.
- Alain De Botton
A great work is made out of a combination of obedience and liberty.
- Nadia Boulanger
Variety is very, very good. Going from medium to medium, if you get the chance to do it, from theater to television to film, which are all distinctly different, keeps me sharp. What works in one doesn't work in the other, and you have to be looking for the truth of the performance, whatever way that medium might demand.
- Kenneth Branagh
And I also felt that no one in an audience could abuse me worse than the sort of abuse I had had at work as a psychiatric nurse.
- Jo Brand
I was thinking that work is like fertilizer in that I'm glad it exists; I just don't ever want to get stuck in it.
- Brandon Sanderson
Oh, I wouldn't say that. Work, my dear Blushweaver, is like fertilizer."
"It smells?"
He smiled. "No, I was thinking that work is like fertilizer in that I'm glad it exists; I just don't ever want to get stuck in it.
- Brandon Sanderson
I am hard at work on the second draft... Second draft is really a misnomer as there are a gazillion revisions, large and small, that go into the writing of a book.
- Libba Bray
There will always be a place for us somewhere, somehow, as long as we see to it that working people fight for everything they have, everything they hope to get, for dignity, equality, democracy, to oppose war and to bring to the world a better life.
- Harry Bridges
A great friendship was like a great work of art, he thought. It took time and attention, and a spark of something that was impossible to describe. It was a happy, lucky accident, finding some kindred part of yourself in a total stranger. pg. 287
- Elise Broach
Progressive art can assist people to learn not only about the objective forces at work in the society in which they live, but also about the intensely social character of their interior lives. Ultimately, it can propel people toward social emancipation.
- Salvador Dali
When you don't have much and you need to be at work, there's no such thing as being sick.
- Scott Brooks
No matter how much pressure you feel at work, if you could find ways to relax for at least five minutes every hour, you'd be more productive.
- Joyce Brothers
Now how can anybody look at that and not believe in God? I mean, how can anybody look at this and not believe there is some higher power, some divine force at work in the universe greater than Man, some god that created it, that created all this, that created us?
- Katharine Hepburn
I like the way you touch me."
"I like to touch you... That works out for us, huh?
- Jeffrey Brown
It turns out I'm not very good at working with a traditional boss.
- Carrie Brownstein
The shrewd guess, the fertile hypothesis, the courageous leap to a tentative conclusion - these are the most valuable coins of the thinker at work. But in most schools guessing is heavily penalized and is associated somehow with laziness.
- Jerome Bruner
But our system of regulation must keep up with this. If it fails to keep up, it will hold back economic expansion. We need financial market regulation that works at national and European level.
- John Bruton
... The Book is more important than your plans for it. You have to go with what works for The Book.
- E A Bucchianeri
I just find things that work and embellish them.
- Lindsey Buckingham
The reason why the continental European is, to the Englishman or American, so surprisingly ignorant of the Bible, is that the authorized English version is a great work of literary art, and the continental versions are comparatively artless.
- George Bernard Shaw
Until today, it really pissed me off that I'd become this totally centered Zen Master, and nobody had noticed. Still, i'm doing the little FAX thing. I write little HAIKU things and FAX them around to everyone. When i pass people in the hall at work, I get toally ZEN right in everyone's hostile little FACE.
- Chuck Palahniuk
Amos stopped before the entrance, which was the size of a garage doora dark heavy square of timber with no visible handle or lock. "Carter after you."
"Um, how do I"
"How do you think?"
Great another mystery. I was about to suggest we ram Amos's head against it and see if that worked.
- Rick Riordan
A perverse nature can be stimulated by anything. Any book can be used as a pornographic instrument, even a great work of literature if the mind that so uses it is off-balance. I once found a small boy masturbating in the presence of the Victorian steel-engraving in a family Bible.
- Anthony Burgess
If you have a great work in your head, nothing else thrives near it; all other thoughts are repelled, and the pleasure of life itself is for the time lost.
- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
There are two big forces at work, external and internal. We have very little control over external forces such as tornadoes, earthquakes, floods, disasters, illness and pain. What really matters is the internal force. How do I respond to those disasters? Over that I have complete control.
- Leo Buscaglia
So we get a plan," I said. "Any suggestions?"
"Blow up the building," Kincaid said without looking up. "That works good for vampires. Then soak what's left in gasoline. Set it on fire. Then blow it all up again."
"For future reference, I was sort of hoping for a suggestion that didn't sound like it came from that Bolshevik Muppet with all the dynamite.
- Jim Butcher
It's my job."
"Then thanks for showing up at work today.
- Shannon K Butcher
Race and class are rendered distinct analytically only to produce the realization that the analysis of the one cannot proceed without the other. A different dynamic it seems to me is at work in the critique of new sexuality studies.
- Judith Butler
To do great work one must be very idle as well as very industrious.
- Samuel Butler
Evil, and evil spirits, devils and devil possession, are the outgrowth of man's inadequate consciousness of God. We must avoid thinking of evil as a thing in itself - a force that works against man or, against God, if you will.
- Eric Butterworth
If all of us would require the same level of performance from ourselves as we expect from government, this city will forever be the city that works.
- Jane Byrne
I'm sticking my tongue out in scenes to try to make that work in 3D. I'm thinking I'll try to get my tongue all the way out to the second row of the audience.
- Nicolas Cage
Most of the people who are in elective office in Washington, D.C., they have held public office before. How's that workin' for you?
- Herman Cain
but sometimes optimism is the only drug that works.
But it's sadly temporary in its effects.
- Rachel Caine
I saw Hunter when I woke up. I saw Hunter as I ate a bowl of cereal. I saw him in human sexuality, where he seemed to be trying to break a record for most innuendos in one hour. I saw him at work where he assaulted my email. I saw him every night at dinner. I saw him go to and from the bathroom. I saw him at our stupid meditations, where were as pointless as socks with sandals.
I. Saw. Him. EVERYWHERE.
- Chelsea M Cameron
We will say to people that if you can work, and if you want to work, we will do everything we can to help you. We will give you the training, we will give you the support, we will give you the advice to get you going and get you back at work.
- David Cameron
The need to be a great artist makes it hard to be an artist. The need to produce a great work of art makes it hard to produce any art at all.
- Julia Cameron
So, I just kind of played the way I played and then eventually we kind of figured out what worked best for the band. So, I definitely changed my stuff up and I think we're playing really tight now.
- Matt Cameron
There's nothing militant about Jesus. I don't read anything like that in any of the gospels. Peter drew his sword and cut off the servant's ear, and Jesus said, "Put back thy sword, Peter." But Peter has had his sword out and at work ever since.
- Joseph Campbell
The classes that wash most are those that work least.
- Gilbert K Chesterton
I have been working for years to promote a responsible energy policy that works to increase energy efficiency and invest in alternative and renewable energy sources.
- Lois Capps
Like running the hurdles. Work so hard, jump over every one, fast, high enough but no higher, because you can't afford to hang in the air. And then, when the race is over, you're dripping with sweat, either they beat you or you beat them... and then a couple of guys come out and move the hurdles out of the way. Turns out they were nothing. All that work to jump over them, but now they're gone.
- Orson Scott Card
Truth is what works.
- William James
I am done with great things and big things, great institutions and big success, and I am for those tiny, invisible molecular moral forces that work from individual to individual, creeping through the crannies of the world like so many rootlets, or like the capillary oozing of water, yet which if you give them time, will rend the hardest monuments of man's pride.
- William James
I knew one thing: as soon as anyone said you didn't need a gun, you'd better take one along that worked.
- Raymond Chandler
There's an old maxim that says, 'Things that work persist,' which is why there's still Cobol floating around.
- Vinton Cerf
We always know when Jesus is at work because He produces in the commonplace something that is inspiring.
- Oswald Chambers
From year to year, and from age to age, we see [biologists] at work, adding no doubt much to the unknown, and advancing many important interests, but, at the same time, doing little for the establishment of comprehensive views of nature. Experiments in however narrow a walk, facts of whatever minuteness, make reputations in scientific societies; all beyond is regarded with suspicion and distrust.
- Robert Chambers
Coincidences happen, but I've come to believe they are actually quite rare. Something is at work, okay? Somewhere in the universe (or behind it), a great machine is ticking and turning its fabulous gears.
- Stephen King
I think that there is far too much work done in the world, that immense harm is caused by the belief that work is virtuous, and that what needs to be preached in modern industrial countries is quite different from what always has been preached.
- Bertrand Russell
We've done it in intelligence sharing and certain elements of security. There were parts of the department, in fact, that worked very well in Katrina, like the Coast Guard and TSA.
- Michael Chertoff
Only soldiers and labouring men can appreciate how glorious it really is to lie late in bed in winter-time. When your life revolves around having to to be at work at seven o'clock in the morning you know everything about that ghastly lep up still half asleep and the rush to put your head under a tap of ice-cold water with the barbarous object of shocking yourself awake.
- Maurice Chevalier
The team architecture means setting up an organization that helps people produce that great work in teams.
- Jay Chiat
The intellectual architecture means focusing on doing great work instead of focusing on agency politics.
- Jay Chiat
Sometimes I'll come up with a lick that I really love, and I'll try to put the right words to it for years. Suddenly something comes to me that works just right.
- Alex Chilton
Between takes I find it difficult to switch off and then try and re-emerge myself in the part, so I try to stay in that frame of mine all day. It can be exhausting and you lose a sense of self, but it is the method that works best for me.
- Hayden Christensen
I was utilized because I have a certain face that works well in cinema, and I'm used to making myself look as good as possible.
- Julie Christie
I am a coach on the outside of the establishment and that works.
- Linford Christie
Therefore we have to go over the fact that all human beings are afraid by what is new. It is our work to convince them that they will enjoy it, and even if they don't, to allow us just for 14 days to create that work of art.
- Christo
I think you need someone in your life you can depend on, someone you can confide in when things go to hell at work, someone to massage your tired feet and your stiff shoulders, someone to bring you tea and cook a meal once
in a while. Someone to be there for you.
- Pamela Clare
If you go forward in the spirit of the original apostles and followers of Jesus Christ, trusting not in man but in the living God, he will enable you to pull down the strong holds of sin and Satan, and that work by which he is pleased will prosper in your hands.
- Adam Clarke
I'm the perfect amount of guarded. I don't reveal too much, and I never reveal who the songs are about. They are real life. People get that. I date a lot of musicians and they do the same thing. People that work with me - who I write about too - they get it. It's my creative outlet, my therapy.
- Kelly Clarkson
Holly Hunter has been doing great work forever.
- Patricia Clarkson
You find me at work; excuse the dust on my blouse. I sculpt my marble myself.
- Camille Claudel
Just trying to get a visual of you on the beach in Spain...
How's that working out for you?
Pretty spiffy.
Spiffy? Did you just say spiffy?
I typed it actually. You got something against spiffy?
- Alice Clayton
If a couple has their picture taken at a wedding or other social gathering, and the woman looks hot, her guy could be blinking, chewing, or even mid-sneeze, and she'll still display it on her desk at work.
- Brian P Cleary
When times are tough and people are frustrated and angry and hurting and uncertain, the politics of constant conflict may be good, but what is good politics does not necessarily work in the real world. What works in the real world is cooperation.
- William J Clinton
The first lesson I've learned is that no matter what you do in your life, you have to figure out your own internal rhythms - I mean, what works for you doesn't necessarily work for your friend.
- Hillary Clinton
We don't have enough support for maternal leave and the kinds of things that some of the European countries do. So we still make it hard on women to go into the work force and feel that they can be good at work but then doing the most important job, which is raising your children in a responsible and positive way.
- Hillary Clinton
I try something new every night. It's an hour show; if it works I maybe try it a few more times and then move that off and try something new. It's a great workshop for me.
- Kate Clinton
I'm not sure we should get camera phones, that's all."
She hit the remote and the car doors unlocked. She reached for the door handle. Matt hesitated.
Olivia looked at him.
"What?" he asked.
"If we both get camera phones," Olivia said, "I could send you nuddies when you're at work."
Matt opened the door. "Verizon on Sprint?"
from The Innocent
- Harlan Coben
I still manage to spend around 40 hours a week at work but it is a lot more focused on what can make money as opposed to what makes me look good in the papers.
- Benjamin Cohen
Regin!" He leapt up from a bunk.
"Well, well, the gang's all here." Nix must've given him Regin's whereabouts. Again.
"I'm going to get you out of here," he said, his green eyes aglow.
She snorted. "Let me know how that works out for you, Job MacBangup." Seeing Brandr here just brought her situation into stark relief. "It's curious though--you don't usually show up until it's time to bury him.
- Kresley Cole
Perfect freedom is reserved for the man who lives by his own work and in that work does what he wants to do.
- Robin G Collingwood
I'll save me money, thanks. Already diagnosed meself, anyway. I'm a cactus.'
'Cactus? Right. Great work, there, Doc. I'm glad you're not my bloody doctor.
- Bill Condon
The Master said, The case is like that of someone raising a mound. If he stops working, the fact that it perhaps needed only one more basketful makes no difference; I stay where I am. Whereas even if he has not got beyond leveling the ground, but is still at work, the fact that he has only tilted one basketful of earth makes no difference. I go to help him.
- Confucius
Self-reform is the only kind that works.
- Mason Cooley
The incessant anxiety and strain of some is a well-nigh incurable form of disease. We are made to exaggerate the importance of what work we do...How vigilant we are! determined not live by faith if we can avoid it; all the day long on the alert, at night we unwillingly say our prayers and commit ourselves to uncertainties.
- Henry David Thoreau
I wanted to be a 150% entrepreneur and a 150% mom, and I found that I was having a very hard time doing both. I was about 75% and 75% - still better than 100%, but not what I was accustomed to at work.
- Barbara Corcoran
I have found in life that if you want a miracle you first need to do whatever it is you can do if that's to plant, then plant; if it is to read, then read; if it is to change, then change; if it is to study, then study; if it is to work, then work; whatever you have to do. And then you will be well on your way of doing the labor that works miracles.
- Jim Rohn
I don't think just scaring people is enough. That worked during the freeze days to a major extent, but we really didn't achieve that much even at that time. You have to have more, you have to give people hope and a vision of a better world.
- Alan Cranston
I don't waste as much time at work because I'd rather spend it with my kids.
- Cindy Crawford
The Great Work is the uniting of opposites. It may mean the uniting of
the soul with God, of the microcosm with the macrocosm, of the female
with the male, of the ego with the non-egoor what not.
- Aleister Crowley
But I'm very happy to work within tight parameters, and when you know you have an actor for two days, and you have to get that work done in two days, that focuses the mind wonderfully.
- John Crowley
I'm talkin' about you. Stop pretending you're normal. You're insane. Make that work for you.
- Jennifer Crusie
Make sure you are the boss. I don't think I would encourage executives that work for me to blog. There can be only 1 public vision for an organization.
- Mark Cuban
When I was a small boy, I used to play with toy cars and dream about the day I could own a real one. Many people still play with their cars today. They are in their 20s, 40s, maybe even 70s, but they still behave like little children when it comes to purchasing an automobile.
There is a simple law at work in the universe: if it has a motor, it's going down in value.
- Celso Cukierkorn
If you do television, and it's great, it's the best job there is. Every week it's another opportunity to really make that work and figure out how to make it work better. I love that it's like theater too, and the audience, and it's so short, like twenty minutes... It's like a Haiku or something.
- Joan Cusack
Every week it's another opportunity to really make that work and figure out how to make it work better. And I love that it's like theater, too, and the audience, and it's so short. It's only 20 minutes. It's like a haiku or something.
- Joan Cusack
After all, it is style alone by which posterity will judge of a great work, for an author can have nothing truly his own but his style.
- Isaac Disraeli
While we were at work there came nine or 10 of the natives to a small hill a little way from us, and stood there menacing and threatening of us, and making a great noise. At last one of them came towards us, and the rest followed at a distance.
- William Dampier
Starting a new retirement plan for those below a certain age is something tens of millions of Americans have already been through at work.
- Mitch Daniels
It's not just a revue where one song is done, then another. There are concepts and ideas at work.
- Hal David
But are the twin souls destined to be together? Synchronicity is at work here to bring the two back together again. How entrancing to find the same magical alchemy still at work, just as it was at the first meeting a recognition of a deep rooted love so entrenched and so accepted, it could only have been forged in other lifetimes together. And probably that is what love at first sight is, recognition of an ancient love.
- Chimnese Davids
Working with the Kinks, there always seemed to be some kind of automatic process at work. Ray and I had this telepathy happening for a long time, where one of us always knew what the other could do with something.
- Dave Davies
Faustina is a great work of the Creator. She has nothing of what you call brains; she doesn't need them for her destiny... It is to be glorious for a few years: not to outlive some dull husband and live on his money till she is eighty, going to lectures and comparing the attractions of winter tours that offer the romance of the Caribbean.
- Robertson Davies
Do not suppose, however, that I intend to urge a diet of classics on anybody. I have seen such diets at work. I have known people who have actually read all, or almost all, the guaranteed Hundred Best Books. God save us from reading nothing but the best.
- Robertson Davies
Science is magic that works.
- Kurt Vonnegut
Pregressive art can assist people to learn not only about the objective forces at work in the society in which they live, but also about the intensity social character of their interior lives. Ultimately, it can propel people toward social emancipation
- Angela Davis
It's like any great medicine that works. It tastes absolutely lousy going down, but ultimately helps and heals you. And that's what Juilliard was. Juilliard is classical training. They don't really want to focus on what you do well - that's what got you into the school. They're training you to do other stuff well, which may not come easily to you.
- Viola Davis
The typical journalist's typical lead for the typical Canadian story nowadays is along this line: that Canadians are hard at work trying to gain a reputation as a nation of rapid social change.
- Stockwell Day
None of the activity stolen by work can be regained by submitting to what work has produced. - The Society of The Spectacle
- Guy Debord
It is at work everywhere, functioning smoothly at times, at other times in fits and starts. It breathes, it heats, it eats. It shits and fucks. What a mistake to have ever said the id.
- Gilles Deleuze
I remember the guest stars who came, they were always trying to find a new plot for their characters because they wanted to stay. It was really a great working environment.
- Caroline Dhavernas
You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go. It is the basic condition of life, to be required to violate your own identity. At some time, every creature which lives must do so. It is the ultimate shadow, the defeat of creation; this is the curse at work, the curse that feeds on all life. Everywhere in the universe.
- Philip K Dick
You are hard at work madam ," said the man near her.
Yes," Answered Madam Defarge ; " I have a good deal to do."
What do you make, Madam ?"
Many things."
For instance ---"
For instance," returned Madam Defarge , composedly ,
Shrouds."
The man moved a little further away, as soon as he could, feeling it mightily close and oppressive.
- Charles Dickens
I feel something very small growing inside me as I look at her, and I realize in one absolutely clear moment that I don't like her at all.
'You know what?' I say. 'Forget it. I'll do the list by myself.'
She stands up, swings her stupid hair about and tries to look offended. It's a trick that works with guys, but it makes no difference to the way I feel about her.
- Jenny Downham
On the molecular scale, you find it's reasonable to have a machine that does a million steps per second, a mechanical system that works at computer speeds.
- K Eric Drexler
Strength of character may be learned at work, but beauty of character is learned at home.
- Henry Drummond
More can be learned from what works than from what fails.
- Rene Dubos
I like pouring your tea, lifting
the heavy pot, and tipping it up,
so the fragrant liquid steams in your china cup.
Or when you're away or at work,
I like to think of your cupped hands as you sip,
as you sip, of the faint half-smile of your lips.
- Carol Ann Duffy
There is something at work in my soul, which I do not understand.
- Mary Shelley
Any woman or man who would write the truth of their lives would write a great work. But no one has dared to write the truth of their lives.
- Isadora Duncan
It struck me that working digitally with a small crew, I could lay out a general plan for Famous and hope for mistakes which would create something more than satire and something less than truthful reality.
- Griffin Dunne
The great work must inevitably be obscure, except to the very few, to those who like the author himself are initiated into the mysteries. Communication then is secondary: it is perpetuation which is important. For this only one good reader is necessary.
- Henry Miller
Comments
Post a Comment