Skip to main content

Few Words Quotes

To be good, and do good, is the whole duty of man comprised in a few words.
- Abigail Adams

At last- I had already given up hope- he broke throught the magic wall; at last helped me; at last he said a few words. Those were the only words I heard him speak today.
'You are tiring yourself Joseph,' he said softly, his voice full of that touching friendlness and solicitude you know so well. That was all. 'You are tiring yourself Joseph.
- Hermann Hesse

Valentine, just a few words to tell you how I love you. I have loved you since the first day I saw you. Whenever that was.
- Charles M Schulz

Instead of explaining the sober facts of mechanics and electricity, I want to say a few words about the debt which we owe to youth; and with your permission I shall consider you as representing here not only the academic youth of Sweden nor even of Europe but also of America.
- Felix Bloch

Men of few words are the best men.
(3.2.41)
- William Shakespeare

Fame - a few words upon a tombstone, and the truth of those not to be depended on.
- Christian Nestell Bovee

David Brinkley was an icon of modern broadcast journalism, a brilliant writer who could say in a few words what the country needed to hear during times of crisis, tragedy and triumph.
- Tom Brokaw

I've lost someone, too," he reminded her.
"It's not the same!" She squeezed the bridge of her nose, trying to stifle her tears. "I was so mean to him. I quit the piano! I blamed him for everything, and I didn't say more than a few words to him for three years! Three years! And I can't get those years back.
But maybe if I hadn't been so angry, he might not have gotten sick. Maybe I caused that extra... stress that did all this. Maybe it was me!
- Nicholas Sparks

With few words I shall make thee understand my soul.
- Michelangelo Buonarroti

The mere seeing of Miss Sara would have been enough without meat pies. If there was time only for a few words, they were always friendly, merry words that put heart into one...Sara--who was only doing what she unconsciously liked better than anything else, Nature having made her for a giver--had not the least idea what she meant to poor Becky, and how wonderful a benefactor she seemed.
- Frances Hodgson Burnett

What I have lately said of painting is equally true with respect to poetry. It is only necessary for us to know what is really excellent, and venture to give it expression; and that is saying much in few words. To-day I have had a scene, which, if literally related, would, make the most beautiful idyl in the world. But why should I talk of poetry and scenes and idyls? Can we never take pleasure in nature without having recourse to art?
- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

When you make as many speeches and you talk as much as I do and you get away from the text, it's always a possibility to get a few words tangled here and there.
- Dan Quayle

I should like these few words to be read over the grave when my body is placed in the earth; for though it is possible I may be present and conscious of what is going on, I shall not be able to communicate.
- Edward Carpenter

It sounded weird to hear you talk so much; normally you only said a few words at a time. I'd never imagined that you'd have a story, too. Until that moment, you were just the kidnapper. You didn't have reasons for anything. You were stupid and evil and mentally ill. That was all. When you started talking, you started changing.
- Lucy Christopher

There are few words in the music business or in art that I'll say people or some writers are overgenerous with words like 'legend' or 'genius', 'he's a pioneer' and all of that.
- Stanley Clarke

Desiring truth, awaiting it, laboriously distilling a few words, forever desiring ---
- Virginia Woolf

I feel if some kid has sat down and felt I'm important enough to write two pages of words to and take up a lot of his valuable time, then he deserves a few words back, or even a phone call as I have done on a few occasions.
- Jim Dale

He could shred me so easily. A few words, a desperate look, and I was cut wide open.
- Sylvia Day

You think you can say a few words and end us? There is no end, Eva.
- Sylvia Day

this Lullaby is only a few words, a simple run of chords, quiet here in this spare room, but you can hear it, hear it, wherever you may go, even if I let you down, this lullaby plays on..
- Sarah Dessen

Men can become twins with age. The past was their common womb; the six months of rain and the six months of sun was the period of their common gestation. They needed only a few words and a few gestures to convey their meaning. They had graduated through the same fevers, they were moved by the same love and contempt.
- Graham Greene

Genuine good taste consists in saying much in few words, in choosing among our thoughts, in having order and arrangement in what we say, and in speaking with composure.
- Francois Fenelon

agonizingly aware of the money in the vicinity and convinced it was theirs for a few words in the right key
- F Scott Fitzgerald

A proverb is much matter distilled into few words.
- R Buckminster Fuller

In the silence of night I have often wished for just a few words of love from one man, rather than the applause of thousands of people.
- Judy Garland

You know that I write slowly. This is chiefly because I am never satisfied until I have said as much as possible in a few words, and writing briefly takes far more time than writing at length.
- Carl Friedrich Gauss

I am a man of few words, but many riddles.
- Frank Gorshin

I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Netwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
<...>
"Is he - a bit mad?" he (Harry) asked Percy uncertainly.
"Mad?" said Percy airily. "He's a genius!"..
- J K Rowling

The thing about the 600 words, I mean some day, you can do a very, very, very hard day's work and not write a word, just revising, or you would scribble a few words.
- J K Rowling

Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts! Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
- J K Rowling

If I could put it into a very few words, dear sir, I should say that our prevalent belief is in moderation. We inculcate the virtue of avoiding excesses of all kindseven including, if you will pardon the paradox, excess of virtue itself.
- James Hilton

What do you think dignity's all about?'
The directness of the inquiry did, I admit, take me rather by surprise. 'It's rather a hard thing to explain in a few words, sir,' I said. 'But I suspect it comes down to not removing one's clothing in public.
- Kazuo Ishiguro

In the 'Hurt Locker' there's a lot of me in there, a sense of humor, a man of few words and a lot of action.
- Jeremy Renner

I'd rather coin a few words than coin a few quarters, nickels, or dimes.
- Jarod Kintz

Sometimes, life seems to have a higher meaning. Events unfold in uncanny sequences. Long-forgotten acquaintances turn up with news that changes lives. A stranger appears and speaks a few words of wisdom, solving a previously insoluble problem, or something in a recent dream transpires in reality. Suddenly the existence of God seems confirmed.
- Dean Koontz

A few words of Hindi appear here or there, but it's all Urdu. I feel that if the popular culture, which is what Hindi films are, uses Urdu, it's not going to diminish.
- Ismail Merchant

Everyone at the bar turned toward The Breeze and waited, as if the next few words he spoke would reveal the true meaning of life, the winning numbers of the lottery, and the unlisted phone number of God.
- Christopher Moore

Truth is something which can't be told in a few words. Those who simplify the universe only reduce the expansion of its meaning.
- Anais Nin

Praying
It doesn't have to be
the blue iris, it could be
weeds in a vacant lot, or a few
small stones; just
pay attention, then patch
a few words together and don't try
to make them elaborate, this isn't
a contest but the doorway
into thanks, and a silence in which
another voice may speak.
- Mary Oliver

I have a notebook with me all the time, and I begin scribbling a few words. When things are going well, the walk does not get anywhere; I finally just stop and write.
- Mary Oliver

When you can have anything you want by uttering a few words, the goal matters not, only the journey to it.
- Christopher Paolini

Speak properly, and in as few words as you can, but always plainly; for the end of speech is not ostentation, but to be understood.
- William Penn

It just took some people a little longer than others to realize how few words they needed to get by, how much of life they could negotiate in silence.
- Tom Perrotta

I'm a man of few words."
"If you read more, you might have a larger vocabulary.
- Bill Watterson

I still understand a few words in life, but I no longer think they make a sentence.
- Jean Rostand

Great feuds often need very few words to resolve them. Disputes, even between nations, between peoples, can be set to rest with simple acts of contrition and corresponding forgiveness, can so often be shown to be based on nothing much other than pride and misunderstanding, and the forgetting of the humanity of the other -- and land, of course.
- Alexander Mccall Smith

When the long bygone Lee Po wanted to say something, he could do it with only a few words.
- Dejan Stojanovic

Niko was a man of few words and flying, sugary snacks. I like that in a human.
- Rob Thurman

A yawning repetitiveness as of a man who knows few words but will not stop talking.
- John Updike

I'm a woman of very few words, but lots of action.
- Mae West

Unfortunately, I have dedicated great effort to the task of compiling this 'sensitive words glossary,' and I have mastered my filtering skills. I knew which words and sentences had to be cut, and I accepted the cutting as if that was the way it should be. In fact, I will often take it on myself to save time and cut a few words. I call this 'castrated writing' -I am a proactive eunuch, I have already castrated myself before the surgeon raises his scalpel.
- Murong Xuecun

We ran into lots of old friends. Friends from elementary school, junior high school, high school. Everyone had matured in their own way, and even as we stood face to face with them they seemed like people from dreams, sudden glimpses through the fences of our tangled memories. We smiled and waved, exchanged a few words, and then walked on in our separate directions.
- Banana Yoshimoto

A picture can tell a thousand words,
but a few words can change it's story.
- Sebastyne Young

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fat Person Quotes

She was convinced that she was anorexic, because every time she looked in the mirror she did indeed see a fat person. - Terry Pratchett I sensed immediately that he'd once been overweight. He moved with a fat person's tiptoey apology. - Jennifer Egan I feel self-conscious calling my cat fat in front of a fat person, considering I'm skinny and inconsiderate. - Jarod Kintz I call myself a FFP: former fat person, and when you're an FFP, you will always see in yourself what people used to bully you for. - Kelly Osbourne Well you know, it's true that as a fat person I run a greater risk of heart disease, diabetes, and a number of other things. But guess what? The amount of that risk is almost infinitessimal! - Daniel Pinkwater

Bass Player Quotes

I always just wanted to be the singer or the bass player in the band. I'd love to have a band, where I was obviously the singer, but where it wasn't me, it wasn't my name. - Bryan Adams In jazz, you listen to what the bass player is doing and what the drummer is doing, what the pianist and the guitarist is doing, and then you play something that compliments that, so you are thinking simultaneously and thinking ahead. - David Amram I can understand why some of these drummers and bass players become cult figures with all of their equipment and the incredible amount of technique they have. But there's very little that I think satisfies you intellectually or emotionally. - Ken Burns Jack Bruce, as soon as I saw him, it changed me. I didn't even know what bass players did until I saw Cream. - Geezer Butler Bass players are always the intellectual kind, but nobody knows it. - Stanley Clarke There are a lot of people who can do it on the guitar and sing at the same t...