Honour, eh? What the hell is that anyway? Every man thinks it's something different. You can't drink it. You can't fuck it. The more of it you have the less good it does you, and if you've got none at all you don't miss it.
- Joe Abercrombie
Energy can't be destroyed, only converted into something different. So when a person dies, where does that energy go?
- Jodi Picoult
Don't ever be afraid to step out and do something different.
- Kim Alexis
I want hard stories, I demand them from myself. Hard stories are worth the difficulty. It seems to me the only way I have forgiven anything, understood anything, is through that process of opening up to my own terror and pain and reexamining it, re-creating it in the story, and making it something different, making it meaningful - even if the meaning is only in the act of the telling.
- Dorothy Allison
Women lose their lives not knowing they can do something different... from Two or Three Things i Know For Sure
- Dorothy Allison
When we went into the ocean, I watched his body as he dove into the waves, and it gave me a feeling in my stomach that wasn't an ache but something different.
- Nicole Krauss
Belonging to me doesn't mean I'll make you do anything, it just means I consider you mine for as long as this lasts. It means I protect you, it means I take care of you. For another man, it might mean something different. Don't confuse me with another man
- Kristen Ashley
The future is greatly different than your life now, the actions that you take must also be greatly different. You cannot do the same thing and get something different.
- Steve Maraboli
But it's enough, just having this day. It's the knowing there's something different, something special up there waiting. It's the knowing you could choose to change your days--climb up there and throw yourself right down the throat of the only and last and greatest terrible secret in the world. Except you don't climb up.
- Natalie Babbitt
But now I realize that this record business really needs me. No one else is trying to take a chance or do something different.
- Erykah Badu
So all the system was running down and collapsing. Mrs. Thatcher became the leader of the Conservative Party in February 1975, and she clearly wanted to strike out and do something different.
- Kenneth Baker
I look for an interesting and often times, fresh character. Something different that what is done all the time or than I've done recently. I look at who is directing. Those two variables as well as a third, which is the content and the quality of the screenplay. I look at the arcs of the scenes and characters and relationships.
- William Baldwin
Our attitudes and opinions change, we develop new habits and eccentricities; but that's something different, more like decoration. Perhaps character resembles intelligence, except that character peaks a little later. And after that, we're just stuck with what we've got. We're on our own. If so, that would explain a lot of lives, wouldn't it?
- Julian Barnes
Something passes between us that I'm pretty sure both of us can feel, even though neither one of us says anything. It's not even any kind of attraction, even though I've been feeling that on and off all night. This is something different.
We have a secret now. A secret from Ava.
- Lauren Barnholdt
Cookbooks have all become baroque and very predictable. I'm looking for something different. A lot of chefs' cookbooks are food as it's done in the restaurants, but they are dumbed down, and I hate it when they dumb them down.
- Mario Batali
There are many, many types of books in the world, which makes good sense, because there are many, many types of people, and everybody wants to read something different.
- Lemony Snicket
One of the most difficult things to think about in life is one's regrets. Something will happen to you, and you will do the wrong thing, and for years afterward you will wish you had done something different.
- Lemony Snicket
Something different is disclosed in the drunkenness of passion: the landscape of the body... These landscapes are traversed by paths which lead sexuality into the world of the inorganic. Fashion itself is only another medium enticing it still more deeply into the universe of matter.
- Walter Benjamin
You know, people come up with formulas who are uncreative. They can't picture something different so they can only go by something that's laid out for them.
- Joseph Bologna
With Zeppelin, I tried to play something different every night in my solos. I'd play for 20 minutes but the longest ever was 30 minutes. It's a long time, but whenI was playing it seemed to fly by.
- John Bonham
To be a film-maker, you have to lead. You have to be psychotic in your desire to do something. People always like the easy route. You have to push very hard to get something unusual, something different.
- Danny Boyle
When she slept, she looked peaceful, beautiful. Not Lena's kind of beautiful, something different. She looked content - like a sunny day, a cold glass of milk, an unopened book before you cracked the binding.
- Kami Garcia
You can look back at anything and wish you'd done something differently.
- Edie Brickell
But she also sensed it wasn't enough. She wanted something else, something different, something more. Passion and romance, perhaps, or maybe quiet conversation in candlelit rooms, or perhaps something as simple as not being second.
- Nicholas Sparks
She wanted something else, something different, something more. Passion and romance, perhaps, or maybe quiet conversations in candlelit rooms, or perhaps something as simple as not being second.
- Nicholas Sparks
The source of wisdom and power, of love and beauty, is within ourselves, but not within our egos. It is within our consciousness. Indeed, its presence provides us with a conscious contrast which enables us to speak of the ego as if it were something different and apart: it is the true Self whereas the ego is only an illusion of the mind.
- Paul Brunton
My manager was Buddy Glee, who put me together with Mike Curb, and was basically the idea to bring some soul to the label and bring something different to the label besides the Hank Williams situation.
- Solomon Burke
No, I think the future of humanity will be like the past, we'll do what we've always done and there will still be human beings. Granted, there will always be people doing something different and there are a lot of possibilities.
- Octavia Butler
This kind of music was just hitting England, so we were getting this following in clubs in Birmingham just cause we were trying to do something different.
- Jim Capaldi
I think the tone of the show has certainly changed over the years, because it's really, really hard to do something different when you have a show going on as long as this has.
- Dan Castellaneta
If you stick with a vision, it might not all work, but some of it will be absolute genius. To me, 15 minutes worth of absolute genius in a film is so much better than two hours of mediocrity. I would rather pay to see something different like that.
- Kim Cattrall
For lovers, touch is metamorphosis. All the parts of their bodies seem to change, and they seem to become something different and better.
- John Cheever
... What do you wish to be? What would you like to become?"
I did not know, and I told her so, but the question worried me. Should I know?
"There is time," she said, "but the sooner you know, the sooner you can plan. To have a goal is the important thing, and to work toward it. Then, if you decide you wish to do something different, you will at least have been moving, you will have been going somewhere, you will have been learning.
- Louis L Amour
My whole point is like, well, if I'm the pop star, then it should be whatever I am. There's, you know, room for Katy Perrys and Adeles and Rihannas and Lady Gagas and Ke$has and me and Pinks. I think what's great about all of us is that we represent something different.
- Kelly Clarkson
I have got instincts that, I think, are very much in tune with people's very keen sense to see something different. I did not dream of being in politics since I was knee-high to a grasshopper. I was not involved in student politics, or not in that partisan way.
- Nick Clegg
The British political system and the whole clapped out Westminster architecture, and the language that we use about politics, it's completely unsustainable. You either decide to be part of that transition to do something different. Or you cling to old certainties.
- Nick Clegg
I was looking for something a lot heavier, yet melodic at the same time. Something different from heavy metal, a different attitude.
- Kurt Cobain
It's hard to explain," said Brutha. "But I think it's got something to do with how people should behave... you should do things because they're right. Not because gods say so. They might say something different another time.
- Terry Pratchett
Blue is the most common eye color in Oria Province, but there is something different about his eyes and I'm not sure what it is. More depth? I wonder what he sees when he looks at me. If he seems to have depth to me, do I seem shallow and transparent to him?
- Ally Condie
I'm falling in love. I am in love. and it's not with Xander, though I do love him. I'm sure of that, as sure as I am of the fact what I feel for Ky is something different.
- Ally Condie
I want to do a collaboration or some kind of side thing or some soundtrack work. Because I've been doing this for years and years. I'd like to just step out and try something different.
- Jon Crosby
Most times I look at Shadow and Poet's work, I see something different from what the words are telling me. I like that about art, that what you see is sometimes more about who you are than what's on the wall. I look at this painting and think about how everyone has some secret inside, something sleeping like that yellow bird.
- Cath Crowley
I just always want a new producer. I'm going to have a new producer on the next one. Because I'm the same person, and I feel like, I know I'm going to bring to it a certain sensibility that's me, and I want to have something different coming out on each album.
- Catie Curtis
I know there are people, if I go into a market or a city for the first time, there are people that are there that just want to see the famous person, or the guy from 'Dumb and Dumber' or whatever movie they liked. And that's fine, it gets them in the door, but then it's my job to give them something different.
- Jeff Daniels
Pretty much every time I try something different or do something in front of a live audience, I truly think they might throw peanuts at me.
- Giada De Laurentiis
I have loved no part of the world like this and I have loved no women as I love you. You're my human Africa. I love your smell as I love these smells. I love your dark bush as I love the bush here, you change with the light as this place does, so that one all the time is loving something different and yet the same. I want to spill myself out into you as I want to die here.
- Graham Greene
Acting is something different to everybody. I just know that if you watch an actor or actress getting better and better, I think that's them just understanding themselves better and better.
- Cameron Diaz
My father, George, has also affected the choices in my life regarding films. I like films that take chances or say something different or experiment. Growing up with him, I was surrounded by different artists - not just actors or film-makers but cartoonists, poets, writers.
- Leonardo Dicaprio
I used to be focused on being the dopest rapper in the game, and then once that became what I was, I wanted something different, and I wanted to become the best businessman in the game. I wanted to learn how to master the business like I mastered the rap.
- Snoop Dogg
...he was by no means expansive, and talked little indeed, but not from shyness or a sullen unsociability; quite the contrary, from something different, from a sort of inner preoccupation entirely personal and unconcerned with other people, but so important to him that he seemed, as it were, to forget other on account of it.
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky
It was from feeling oneself that one had reached the last barrier, that it was horrible, but that it could not be otherwise; that there was no escape for you; that you never could become a different man; that even if time and faith were still left you to change into something different you would most likely not wish to change; or if you did wish to, even then you would do nothing; because perhaps in reality there was nothing for you to change into.
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky
While people are fairly young and the musical composition of their lives is still in its opening bars, they can go about writing it together and sharing motifs (the way Tomas and Sabina exchanged the motif of the bowler hat), but if they meet when they are older, like Franz and Sabina, their musical compositions are more or less complete, and every motif, every object, every word means something different to each of them.
- Milan Kundera
No, make something different from war. Don't allow your enemies to be enemies. Make them something else, because otherwise they have a power over you that they should not have. If you think in the same ways as the past, you will only get new versions of the past. Think differently. That's what I'm saying.
- David Anthony Durham
When Wes came back to Limp Bizkit, we really wanted to do something different. We wanted to make a core record that we didn't care who liked or who disliked.
- Fred Durst
I didn't expect such a huge reaction, but I knew I was doing something different to everything else that was happening at the time.
- Enya
A lot of straight actors are actively searching for gay roles because it is something different to do.
- Rupert Everett
I wonder how many times in my life I would have been able to prevent something, change something, do something different, if only I'd listened to someone.
- Alex Flinn
Anyone who creates something new or does something different artistically is going to be singled out.
- Carlisle Floyd
I did not feel that he owed it to me. And I did not feel like I owed it to him. We owed it to each other, which is something different.
- Jonathan Safran Foer
If I'd been someone else in a different world I would have done something different, but I was myself and the world was the world, so I was silent.
- Jonathan Safran Foer
I had kissed my share of men, particularly during the war years, when flirtation and instant romance were the light-minded companions of death and uncertainty. Jamie, thought, was something different. His extreme gentleness was in no way tentative; rather it was a promise of power known and held in leash; a challenge and a provocation the more remarkable for its lack of demand. I am yours, it said. And if you will have me, then..
- Diana Gabaldon
When Man evolved Pity, he did a queer thing - deprived himself of the power of living life as it is without wishing it to become something different.
- John Galsworthy
My theory is, independent movies only work if you're willing to push the material and do something different.
- Balthazar Getty
Every single time you make a merger, somebody is losing his identity. And saying something different is just rubbish.
- Carlos Ghosn
Certainly situation comedy is harder than people who are good at it make it look, but it's fun to do something different.
- Laura San Giacomo
I do like match play. I like trying to match an opponent shot for shot. It's a challenge. And it's something different.
- Retief Goosen
I'm sometimes critical about other artists who come out with something different until maybe I hear the music. If the music is there, then they did their job, and I'll enjoy the CD.
- Brian Austin Green
With me, something different and deep, in bright focus and pointing the way, arrived in the practice of hitchhiking. I am the spirit and the heart of hitchhiking, I am its cortex and its medulla, I am its foundation and its culmination, I am the jewel in its lotus.
- Tom Robbins
You are what you wear. I wear something different everyday.
- Corey Haim
The whole memorial is for different senses... seeing, hearing, feeling, smelling. I probably would have come up with something different if I had not lived through it.
- Lawrence Halprin
Gone had come to mean something different, in a way that is hadn't used to. Something permanent.
- Jenny Han
So it's not so much that I set out to do something different, it's just that the songs themselves require their own individual voice and attention.
- Ben Harper
I guess I had a suspicion of it my entire life without knowing exactly what it was - knowing that there was something different about me, which I attributed to being an artist. At 11 or 12 I started sort of clarifying for myself. It took a while.
- Randy Harrison
Advice may not be good advice 10 or 15 years from now. Someone could tell you something years ago and it might not work now. The world is constantly changing. One word could mean something different today. Today you can't give advice to anyone.
- Roy Haynes
I'd heard about Texas football and how much of a religion it is, but to go to Odessa and experience it first-hand is something different than just hearing about it.
- Jay Hernandez
Sometimes you're going to be faced with situations where the line isn't clear between what's right and what's wrong.Your heart will tell you to do one thing and your brain will tell you to do something different. In the end, all that's left is to look at both sides and go with your best judgment.
- Carl Hiaasen
...To free humanity of time. For time is the great enslaver of us all. Time that ages us, time that limits us. Think how often you have wished to have more time for something, or wished you could go back a day and do something differently. When humanity is freed of time, old wrongs can be corrected before they are done.
- Robin Hobb
I have a number of alternatives, and each one gives me something different.
- Glenn Hoddle
The way Will Moore taught me, and the way I play it, the blues is just something different.
- John Lee Hooker
because dangling your legs over the precipice is nothing unless you're prepared to go that extra two inches, and none of us had been. We could tell each other and ourselves something different -- oh, I would have done it if she hadn't been there or he hadn't been there or if someone hadn't sat on my head -- but that fact of the matter was that we were all still around, and we'd all had ample opportunity not to be.
- Nick Hornby
To me, entrepreneurship means something different. I think of it as identifying and valuing opportunity.
- Glenn Hubbard
People aren't quite sure what it means when a book is a Booker Prize winner. They're not quite sure what is being recommended, what literary values it stands for, because every year it stands for something different.
- Kazuo Ishiguro
I always try to do something different. I don't think I've made the same record over and over.
- Norah Jones
I want to do something different, and make a difference.
- Jarod Kintz
Give yourself a hug, and while you are embracing yourself, use that time to hold yourself together. Why have you left me, Yesterday? Was it because I slept with Today? I have a routine. Every day I do something different.
- Jarod Kintz
Yet I remember the rule I set for myself-that I do something different from my mother... I started to believe I couldn't really do that if I was following in the path of either of my parents... That so-called rule helped me separate more fully from my mother and father, I realize, but maybe it also kept me from seeing what was right in front of me.
- Sue Monk Kidd
White men have screwed this country up! I would like a black, female.... everything all rolled into one.I want something different. I want a real change. People, I want a president who speaks well, who has a sense of humor. This guy is such a moron! It's beyond the point where it's a joke. He's an idiot.
- Denis Leary
Heck, can't you even try to see it my way? You've got children of your own, but I'm older than you. When mine are grown I'll be an old man if I'm still around, but right now I'mif they don't trust me they won't trust anybody. Jem and Scout know what happened. If they hear of me saying downtown something different happenedHeck, I won't have them any more. I can't live one way in town and another way in my home.
- Harper Lee
I've never really found it hard to stay away from a chick before. Hell, I've never had reason to try. But this time I do. There's something different about Olivia. I want her in my bed. Like, now. But she's...I don't know. I get the feeling she requires a gentler, more careful touch. She's a challenge.
And damn, if I don't love a challenge!
- M Leighton
I think I remember from the offset I said, 'I've visited this territory. This isn't for me.' And then I read the script and I said, 'You know, this is completely something different. This is a whole new life.'
- Jared Leto
Always do something different. Always different things.
- Josh Lucas
Don't you long for something different to happen, something so exciting and new it carries you along with it like a great tide, something that lets your life blaze and burn so the whole world can see it?
- Juliet Marillier
It ain't easy to break out of a mold, but if you do your work, people will ultimately see what you're capable of. Too often, people find it easier to make assumptions and stick with what they believe. They put you in a place and it makes their job easier. The good people constantly search for something different.
- Christopher Meloni
This showed once again that everyone had something different to lose in this battle. Some were concerned for their lives, and some for those they cared most about: rays, sea horses, even the chickens that ran free in the streets of the city because they couldn't all be caught in time.
- Kai Meyer
The thing about new things is you feel new when you buy them, you feel as though you are somebody different because you own something different. We are our possessions, you know. There are people who get addicted to buying new stuff. Things. Piles and piles of things. But the new things become old things so quickly. We need new things to replace the old things.
- Donald Miller
It'll be a change," says Marcus. "Something different."
"Not a mystery."
Marcus laughs. "No. Not a mystery. Just a nice safe history."
Ah, my darling. But there is no such thing.
- Kate Morton
The way people in democracies think of the government as something different from themselves is a real handicap. And, of course, sometimes the government confirms their opinion.
- Lewis Mumford
My father left me with a clear sense that the media was something different.
- Rupert Murdoch
Everyone I looked at, their whole lives, did exactly what they were supposed to do
without even questioning it, without even wondering if they could
do something different.
- Catherine Gilbert Murdock
The room fell heavily silent. After a minute of continuing to flay Morgan
with that narrowed gazeand Morgan staring back defiantlyEthan slowly lifted
green eyes to me, and I saw something different there.
Respect.
- Chloe Neill
I just like art. I get pure pleasure from it. I have a lot of wonderful paintings, and every time I look at them I see something different.
- Jack Nicholson
Justice. To be ever ready to admit that another person is something quite different from what we read when he is there (or when we think about him). Or rather, to read in him that he is certainly something different, perhaps something completely different from what we read in him.
Every being cries out silently to be read differently.
- Simone Weil
I'm spoiled - in all ways. I've been in a rock 'n' roll band since I was 13, and we had incredible success. When it ended, it had been so good that I just looked at it as time to try something different.
- Peter Noone
If you send up a weather vane or put your thumb up in the air every time you want to do something different, to find out what people are going to think about it, you're going to limit yourself. That's a very strange way to live.
- Jessye Norman
I guess my tendency is to think essentially that the new wrinkles won't do the job if the old major idea didn't, and so you have to try something different. Then maybe they can all be combined in some coherent piece.
- Robert Nozick
If you know something bad is coming, can't you plan to avoid it or try to do something differently?" said Charles.
Probably", said the Cartographer, "but then the good events would have no flavor. The joy you find in life is paid for by suffering that comes later, just as sometimes, the suffering is redeemed by a joy unexpected. That's the trade that makes a life worth living.
- James A Owen
Ideology knows the answer before the question has been asked.
Principles are something different: a set of values that have to be adapted to circumstances but not compromised away.
- George Packer
If you're not doing something different, you're not doing anything.
- Sam Phillips
The only way to get people to like working hard is to motivate them. Today, people must understand why they're working hard. Every individual in an organization is motivated by something different.
- Rick Pitino
Daring to wear something different takes effort.
- Miuccia Prada
I knew if I stayed where I was, nothing would get better; nothing would change. If I wanted to ease the pain, I had to try something different.
- Sharon E Rainey
The pain had to be great enough for me to accept my reality, to hope that something different, and hopefully better, was out there and to do whatever came next to reach that point. It seems clear and simple when I write it down on paper. But I also know just because something is simple, it does not mean it is easy.
- Sharon E Rainey
I had a bonding problem when I went off and boxed for five years. I was over in Europe and Asia fighting because I wanted to do something different; I was tired of acting. But the thing is, when I was done doing that, I couldn't get a job.
- Mickey Rourke
Try something different. Surrender.
- Rumi
Belief must be something different from a mixture of opinions about God and the world, and of precepts for one life or for two. Piety cannot be an instinct craving for a mess of metaphysical and ethical crumbs.
- Friedrich Schleiermacher
Every time, I try to make something different.
- Barbet Schroeder
The hardest struggle of all is to be something different from what the average man is.
- Robert H Schuller
I have always strived to do something different, to push myself.
- Seal
It's not that most girls are delusional, per se. It's just that they have this subtle ability to warp actual circumstances into something different. And if there's one thing I'm really against, it is turning a blind eye to reality. What's the point? Things are the way they are, and the best thing for us to do is to just acknowledge that. No one ever died from having too much information. It's the misunderstandings that are the problem.
- Rebecca Serle
It's not that girls are delusional, per se. It's just that they have this subtle ability to warp actual circumstances into something different.
- Rebecca Serle
Fashion embraces the weirdos. They're into that. There are always young people that people in fashion are interested in. You know, youth and vitality and energy - it brings something different.
- Chloe Sevigny
There's something different about you," he says.
"I've started styling my hair differently," I laugh.
"Oh. I thought it was that you were three feet taller, a hell of a lot broader, look like a werewolf, and are naked expect for that bit of cloth around your waist. But you're right -- it's the hair.
- Darren Shan
Single payer means something different to everyone. The way I define it is that health care is a right and not a privilege.
- Peter Shumlin
...the reading, the observing, the living from day to day. It was something that had been born into her and her only - the something different from anyone else in the two families. It was what God or whatever is His equivalent puts into each soul that is given life - the one different thing such as that which makes no two fingerprints on the face of the earth alike.
- Betty Smith
All the best performers bring to their role something more, something different than what the author put on paper. That's what makes theatre live. That's why it persists.
- Stephen Sondheim
... It's hard to make changes. Things get so comfortable and you don't want to move. Maybe it would do you good to be a little uncomfortable for a while, and do something different..
- Danielle Steel
When you're growing up, it takes a long time for you to realize that there's something different about you. On one level, you know there's something strange, but on another, yourself is the only thing you ever knew.
- Brooke Stevens
So one day, in a fit of trying to do something different, I just dyed my hair dark brown and got my first role a week later, after which I thought: 'People are closed-minded, man! Like a different hair colour changes everything!'
- Emma Stone
While I paid, they exchanged some pieties on how everyone has his or her own beliefs, et cetera. Then the woman said, "It's just like, ten people see a car accident, every single one is gonna tell the police something different" (a vivid way, I thought, of localizing the story about the blind men feeling an elephant).
"Tell me which one of 'em gets out to help," the man said, "that's the one whose religion I'll listen to.
- John Jeremiah Sullivan
Pillow talk. It's how you know, it's how you tell, that something different, something special is happening: that this might even be the most important night of your life. Some day -some night- I hope you both may know it, with whoever it may be: the wish, stealing up on you, not to just merge bodies, but all you have, all your years, all your memories up to that point. And why should you wish to do that, if you haven't already guessed that your future too, will be shared?
- Graham Swift
Some of those songs, you really have to bite them. You challenge yourself, you challenge the audience, you do something different. People weren't expecting it.
- Andy Taylor
I think it's the fact that I do something different and that I actually have some success with it. That bothers a lot of people... especially comics.
- Carrot Top
I wanna record these girls individually. And then, I wanna cut a blues album on me. But all of it, original stuff, you know. When I listen to the blues today, it's like they all sounds similar. I wanna do something different, to try to add to the blues flavor.
- Ike Turner
It's strange how memory gets twisted and pulled like taffy in its retelling, how a single event can mean something different to everyone present.
- Lisa Unger
I can't just say one time of the year I'm going to do something different. I have to commit to a lifestyle behavioral change and just try to be a little bit better today than I was yesterday.
- Gabrielle Union
There is an opportunity for us to renew ourselves. There's an opportunity for us to leave the past behind and present something different for the future.
- Jay Weatherill
I do remember what I said. The promise. To protect her. If I'd done that... even if I didn't make it, you wouldn't've had to jump. I want you to know I did save you. Not when it counted, of course. But after that. Every night after that. I'd see it all again, do something different. Faster or more clever, you know? Dozens of times, lots of different ways...Every night I save you.
- Joss Whedon
A hanging, though, was something different. I got to thinking. We hadn't never been to nothing just to have a good time. A hanging was special and we was all getting to go.
- Eddie Whitlock
For me, the key is I always have to be the same person.If someone was to hear me say something on Fox and hear me say something different on NPR, they would say, 'The guy is a hypocrite.'
- Juan Williams
My remit has always been: I want to do something different from the last thing I've done.
- Ruth Wilson
Everybody was tellin' me that I had to do something different, and I kind of agreed that I did need to vary it a little bit. I still love some rock 'n' roll too.
- Johnny Winter
I think you can have moderate success by copying something else, but if you really want to knock it out of the park, you have to do something different and take chances.
- Lee Ann Womack
the past only had whatever power you gave it; life was what you made it and if you wanted something different from what you had, it was up to you to make it happen.
- Sara Zarr
- Joe Abercrombie
Energy can't be destroyed, only converted into something different. So when a person dies, where does that energy go?
- Jodi Picoult
Don't ever be afraid to step out and do something different.
- Kim Alexis
I want hard stories, I demand them from myself. Hard stories are worth the difficulty. It seems to me the only way I have forgiven anything, understood anything, is through that process of opening up to my own terror and pain and reexamining it, re-creating it in the story, and making it something different, making it meaningful - even if the meaning is only in the act of the telling.
- Dorothy Allison
Women lose their lives not knowing they can do something different... from Two or Three Things i Know For Sure
- Dorothy Allison
When we went into the ocean, I watched his body as he dove into the waves, and it gave me a feeling in my stomach that wasn't an ache but something different.
- Nicole Krauss
Belonging to me doesn't mean I'll make you do anything, it just means I consider you mine for as long as this lasts. It means I protect you, it means I take care of you. For another man, it might mean something different. Don't confuse me with another man
- Kristen Ashley
The future is greatly different than your life now, the actions that you take must also be greatly different. You cannot do the same thing and get something different.
- Steve Maraboli
But it's enough, just having this day. It's the knowing there's something different, something special up there waiting. It's the knowing you could choose to change your days--climb up there and throw yourself right down the throat of the only and last and greatest terrible secret in the world. Except you don't climb up.
- Natalie Babbitt
But now I realize that this record business really needs me. No one else is trying to take a chance or do something different.
- Erykah Badu
So all the system was running down and collapsing. Mrs. Thatcher became the leader of the Conservative Party in February 1975, and she clearly wanted to strike out and do something different.
- Kenneth Baker
I look for an interesting and often times, fresh character. Something different that what is done all the time or than I've done recently. I look at who is directing. Those two variables as well as a third, which is the content and the quality of the screenplay. I look at the arcs of the scenes and characters and relationships.
- William Baldwin
Our attitudes and opinions change, we develop new habits and eccentricities; but that's something different, more like decoration. Perhaps character resembles intelligence, except that character peaks a little later. And after that, we're just stuck with what we've got. We're on our own. If so, that would explain a lot of lives, wouldn't it?
- Julian Barnes
Something passes between us that I'm pretty sure both of us can feel, even though neither one of us says anything. It's not even any kind of attraction, even though I've been feeling that on and off all night. This is something different.
We have a secret now. A secret from Ava.
- Lauren Barnholdt
Cookbooks have all become baroque and very predictable. I'm looking for something different. A lot of chefs' cookbooks are food as it's done in the restaurants, but they are dumbed down, and I hate it when they dumb them down.
- Mario Batali
There are many, many types of books in the world, which makes good sense, because there are many, many types of people, and everybody wants to read something different.
- Lemony Snicket
One of the most difficult things to think about in life is one's regrets. Something will happen to you, and you will do the wrong thing, and for years afterward you will wish you had done something different.
- Lemony Snicket
Something different is disclosed in the drunkenness of passion: the landscape of the body... These landscapes are traversed by paths which lead sexuality into the world of the inorganic. Fashion itself is only another medium enticing it still more deeply into the universe of matter.
- Walter Benjamin
You know, people come up with formulas who are uncreative. They can't picture something different so they can only go by something that's laid out for them.
- Joseph Bologna
With Zeppelin, I tried to play something different every night in my solos. I'd play for 20 minutes but the longest ever was 30 minutes. It's a long time, but whenI was playing it seemed to fly by.
- John Bonham
To be a film-maker, you have to lead. You have to be psychotic in your desire to do something. People always like the easy route. You have to push very hard to get something unusual, something different.
- Danny Boyle
When she slept, she looked peaceful, beautiful. Not Lena's kind of beautiful, something different. She looked content - like a sunny day, a cold glass of milk, an unopened book before you cracked the binding.
- Kami Garcia
You can look back at anything and wish you'd done something differently.
- Edie Brickell
But she also sensed it wasn't enough. She wanted something else, something different, something more. Passion and romance, perhaps, or maybe quiet conversation in candlelit rooms, or perhaps something as simple as not being second.
- Nicholas Sparks
She wanted something else, something different, something more. Passion and romance, perhaps, or maybe quiet conversations in candlelit rooms, or perhaps something as simple as not being second.
- Nicholas Sparks
The source of wisdom and power, of love and beauty, is within ourselves, but not within our egos. It is within our consciousness. Indeed, its presence provides us with a conscious contrast which enables us to speak of the ego as if it were something different and apart: it is the true Self whereas the ego is only an illusion of the mind.
- Paul Brunton
My manager was Buddy Glee, who put me together with Mike Curb, and was basically the idea to bring some soul to the label and bring something different to the label besides the Hank Williams situation.
- Solomon Burke
No, I think the future of humanity will be like the past, we'll do what we've always done and there will still be human beings. Granted, there will always be people doing something different and there are a lot of possibilities.
- Octavia Butler
This kind of music was just hitting England, so we were getting this following in clubs in Birmingham just cause we were trying to do something different.
- Jim Capaldi
I think the tone of the show has certainly changed over the years, because it's really, really hard to do something different when you have a show going on as long as this has.
- Dan Castellaneta
If you stick with a vision, it might not all work, but some of it will be absolute genius. To me, 15 minutes worth of absolute genius in a film is so much better than two hours of mediocrity. I would rather pay to see something different like that.
- Kim Cattrall
For lovers, touch is metamorphosis. All the parts of their bodies seem to change, and they seem to become something different and better.
- John Cheever
... What do you wish to be? What would you like to become?"
I did not know, and I told her so, but the question worried me. Should I know?
"There is time," she said, "but the sooner you know, the sooner you can plan. To have a goal is the important thing, and to work toward it. Then, if you decide you wish to do something different, you will at least have been moving, you will have been going somewhere, you will have been learning.
- Louis L Amour
My whole point is like, well, if I'm the pop star, then it should be whatever I am. There's, you know, room for Katy Perrys and Adeles and Rihannas and Lady Gagas and Ke$has and me and Pinks. I think what's great about all of us is that we represent something different.
- Kelly Clarkson
I have got instincts that, I think, are very much in tune with people's very keen sense to see something different. I did not dream of being in politics since I was knee-high to a grasshopper. I was not involved in student politics, or not in that partisan way.
- Nick Clegg
The British political system and the whole clapped out Westminster architecture, and the language that we use about politics, it's completely unsustainable. You either decide to be part of that transition to do something different. Or you cling to old certainties.
- Nick Clegg
I was looking for something a lot heavier, yet melodic at the same time. Something different from heavy metal, a different attitude.
- Kurt Cobain
It's hard to explain," said Brutha. "But I think it's got something to do with how people should behave... you should do things because they're right. Not because gods say so. They might say something different another time.
- Terry Pratchett
Blue is the most common eye color in Oria Province, but there is something different about his eyes and I'm not sure what it is. More depth? I wonder what he sees when he looks at me. If he seems to have depth to me, do I seem shallow and transparent to him?
- Ally Condie
I'm falling in love. I am in love. and it's not with Xander, though I do love him. I'm sure of that, as sure as I am of the fact what I feel for Ky is something different.
- Ally Condie
I want to do a collaboration or some kind of side thing or some soundtrack work. Because I've been doing this for years and years. I'd like to just step out and try something different.
- Jon Crosby
Most times I look at Shadow and Poet's work, I see something different from what the words are telling me. I like that about art, that what you see is sometimes more about who you are than what's on the wall. I look at this painting and think about how everyone has some secret inside, something sleeping like that yellow bird.
- Cath Crowley
I just always want a new producer. I'm going to have a new producer on the next one. Because I'm the same person, and I feel like, I know I'm going to bring to it a certain sensibility that's me, and I want to have something different coming out on each album.
- Catie Curtis
I know there are people, if I go into a market or a city for the first time, there are people that are there that just want to see the famous person, or the guy from 'Dumb and Dumber' or whatever movie they liked. And that's fine, it gets them in the door, but then it's my job to give them something different.
- Jeff Daniels
Pretty much every time I try something different or do something in front of a live audience, I truly think they might throw peanuts at me.
- Giada De Laurentiis
I have loved no part of the world like this and I have loved no women as I love you. You're my human Africa. I love your smell as I love these smells. I love your dark bush as I love the bush here, you change with the light as this place does, so that one all the time is loving something different and yet the same. I want to spill myself out into you as I want to die here.
- Graham Greene
Acting is something different to everybody. I just know that if you watch an actor or actress getting better and better, I think that's them just understanding themselves better and better.
- Cameron Diaz
My father, George, has also affected the choices in my life regarding films. I like films that take chances or say something different or experiment. Growing up with him, I was surrounded by different artists - not just actors or film-makers but cartoonists, poets, writers.
- Leonardo Dicaprio
I used to be focused on being the dopest rapper in the game, and then once that became what I was, I wanted something different, and I wanted to become the best businessman in the game. I wanted to learn how to master the business like I mastered the rap.
- Snoop Dogg
...he was by no means expansive, and talked little indeed, but not from shyness or a sullen unsociability; quite the contrary, from something different, from a sort of inner preoccupation entirely personal and unconcerned with other people, but so important to him that he seemed, as it were, to forget other on account of it.
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky
It was from feeling oneself that one had reached the last barrier, that it was horrible, but that it could not be otherwise; that there was no escape for you; that you never could become a different man; that even if time and faith were still left you to change into something different you would most likely not wish to change; or if you did wish to, even then you would do nothing; because perhaps in reality there was nothing for you to change into.
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky
While people are fairly young and the musical composition of their lives is still in its opening bars, they can go about writing it together and sharing motifs (the way Tomas and Sabina exchanged the motif of the bowler hat), but if they meet when they are older, like Franz and Sabina, their musical compositions are more or less complete, and every motif, every object, every word means something different to each of them.
- Milan Kundera
No, make something different from war. Don't allow your enemies to be enemies. Make them something else, because otherwise they have a power over you that they should not have. If you think in the same ways as the past, you will only get new versions of the past. Think differently. That's what I'm saying.
- David Anthony Durham
When Wes came back to Limp Bizkit, we really wanted to do something different. We wanted to make a core record that we didn't care who liked or who disliked.
- Fred Durst
I didn't expect such a huge reaction, but I knew I was doing something different to everything else that was happening at the time.
- Enya
A lot of straight actors are actively searching for gay roles because it is something different to do.
- Rupert Everett
I wonder how many times in my life I would have been able to prevent something, change something, do something different, if only I'd listened to someone.
- Alex Flinn
Anyone who creates something new or does something different artistically is going to be singled out.
- Carlisle Floyd
I did not feel that he owed it to me. And I did not feel like I owed it to him. We owed it to each other, which is something different.
- Jonathan Safran Foer
If I'd been someone else in a different world I would have done something different, but I was myself and the world was the world, so I was silent.
- Jonathan Safran Foer
I had kissed my share of men, particularly during the war years, when flirtation and instant romance were the light-minded companions of death and uncertainty. Jamie, thought, was something different. His extreme gentleness was in no way tentative; rather it was a promise of power known and held in leash; a challenge and a provocation the more remarkable for its lack of demand. I am yours, it said. And if you will have me, then..
- Diana Gabaldon
When Man evolved Pity, he did a queer thing - deprived himself of the power of living life as it is without wishing it to become something different.
- John Galsworthy
My theory is, independent movies only work if you're willing to push the material and do something different.
- Balthazar Getty
Every single time you make a merger, somebody is losing his identity. And saying something different is just rubbish.
- Carlos Ghosn
Certainly situation comedy is harder than people who are good at it make it look, but it's fun to do something different.
- Laura San Giacomo
I do like match play. I like trying to match an opponent shot for shot. It's a challenge. And it's something different.
- Retief Goosen
I'm sometimes critical about other artists who come out with something different until maybe I hear the music. If the music is there, then they did their job, and I'll enjoy the CD.
- Brian Austin Green
With me, something different and deep, in bright focus and pointing the way, arrived in the practice of hitchhiking. I am the spirit and the heart of hitchhiking, I am its cortex and its medulla, I am its foundation and its culmination, I am the jewel in its lotus.
- Tom Robbins
You are what you wear. I wear something different everyday.
- Corey Haim
The whole memorial is for different senses... seeing, hearing, feeling, smelling. I probably would have come up with something different if I had not lived through it.
- Lawrence Halprin
Gone had come to mean something different, in a way that is hadn't used to. Something permanent.
- Jenny Han
So it's not so much that I set out to do something different, it's just that the songs themselves require their own individual voice and attention.
- Ben Harper
I guess I had a suspicion of it my entire life without knowing exactly what it was - knowing that there was something different about me, which I attributed to being an artist. At 11 or 12 I started sort of clarifying for myself. It took a while.
- Randy Harrison
Advice may not be good advice 10 or 15 years from now. Someone could tell you something years ago and it might not work now. The world is constantly changing. One word could mean something different today. Today you can't give advice to anyone.
- Roy Haynes
I'd heard about Texas football and how much of a religion it is, but to go to Odessa and experience it first-hand is something different than just hearing about it.
- Jay Hernandez
Sometimes you're going to be faced with situations where the line isn't clear between what's right and what's wrong.Your heart will tell you to do one thing and your brain will tell you to do something different. In the end, all that's left is to look at both sides and go with your best judgment.
- Carl Hiaasen
...To free humanity of time. For time is the great enslaver of us all. Time that ages us, time that limits us. Think how often you have wished to have more time for something, or wished you could go back a day and do something differently. When humanity is freed of time, old wrongs can be corrected before they are done.
- Robin Hobb
I have a number of alternatives, and each one gives me something different.
- Glenn Hoddle
The way Will Moore taught me, and the way I play it, the blues is just something different.
- John Lee Hooker
because dangling your legs over the precipice is nothing unless you're prepared to go that extra two inches, and none of us had been. We could tell each other and ourselves something different -- oh, I would have done it if she hadn't been there or he hadn't been there or if someone hadn't sat on my head -- but that fact of the matter was that we were all still around, and we'd all had ample opportunity not to be.
- Nick Hornby
To me, entrepreneurship means something different. I think of it as identifying and valuing opportunity.
- Glenn Hubbard
People aren't quite sure what it means when a book is a Booker Prize winner. They're not quite sure what is being recommended, what literary values it stands for, because every year it stands for something different.
- Kazuo Ishiguro
I always try to do something different. I don't think I've made the same record over and over.
- Norah Jones
I want to do something different, and make a difference.
- Jarod Kintz
Give yourself a hug, and while you are embracing yourself, use that time to hold yourself together. Why have you left me, Yesterday? Was it because I slept with Today? I have a routine. Every day I do something different.
- Jarod Kintz
Yet I remember the rule I set for myself-that I do something different from my mother... I started to believe I couldn't really do that if I was following in the path of either of my parents... That so-called rule helped me separate more fully from my mother and father, I realize, but maybe it also kept me from seeing what was right in front of me.
- Sue Monk Kidd
White men have screwed this country up! I would like a black, female.... everything all rolled into one.I want something different. I want a real change. People, I want a president who speaks well, who has a sense of humor. This guy is such a moron! It's beyond the point where it's a joke. He's an idiot.
- Denis Leary
Heck, can't you even try to see it my way? You've got children of your own, but I'm older than you. When mine are grown I'll be an old man if I'm still around, but right now I'mif they don't trust me they won't trust anybody. Jem and Scout know what happened. If they hear of me saying downtown something different happenedHeck, I won't have them any more. I can't live one way in town and another way in my home.
- Harper Lee
I've never really found it hard to stay away from a chick before. Hell, I've never had reason to try. But this time I do. There's something different about Olivia. I want her in my bed. Like, now. But she's...I don't know. I get the feeling she requires a gentler, more careful touch. She's a challenge.
And damn, if I don't love a challenge!
- M Leighton
I think I remember from the offset I said, 'I've visited this territory. This isn't for me.' And then I read the script and I said, 'You know, this is completely something different. This is a whole new life.'
- Jared Leto
Always do something different. Always different things.
- Josh Lucas
Don't you long for something different to happen, something so exciting and new it carries you along with it like a great tide, something that lets your life blaze and burn so the whole world can see it?
- Juliet Marillier
It ain't easy to break out of a mold, but if you do your work, people will ultimately see what you're capable of. Too often, people find it easier to make assumptions and stick with what they believe. They put you in a place and it makes their job easier. The good people constantly search for something different.
- Christopher Meloni
This showed once again that everyone had something different to lose in this battle. Some were concerned for their lives, and some for those they cared most about: rays, sea horses, even the chickens that ran free in the streets of the city because they couldn't all be caught in time.
- Kai Meyer
The thing about new things is you feel new when you buy them, you feel as though you are somebody different because you own something different. We are our possessions, you know. There are people who get addicted to buying new stuff. Things. Piles and piles of things. But the new things become old things so quickly. We need new things to replace the old things.
- Donald Miller
It'll be a change," says Marcus. "Something different."
"Not a mystery."
Marcus laughs. "No. Not a mystery. Just a nice safe history."
Ah, my darling. But there is no such thing.
- Kate Morton
The way people in democracies think of the government as something different from themselves is a real handicap. And, of course, sometimes the government confirms their opinion.
- Lewis Mumford
My father left me with a clear sense that the media was something different.
- Rupert Murdoch
Everyone I looked at, their whole lives, did exactly what they were supposed to do
without even questioning it, without even wondering if they could
do something different.
- Catherine Gilbert Murdock
The room fell heavily silent. After a minute of continuing to flay Morgan
with that narrowed gazeand Morgan staring back defiantlyEthan slowly lifted
green eyes to me, and I saw something different there.
Respect.
- Chloe Neill
I just like art. I get pure pleasure from it. I have a lot of wonderful paintings, and every time I look at them I see something different.
- Jack Nicholson
Justice. To be ever ready to admit that another person is something quite different from what we read when he is there (or when we think about him). Or rather, to read in him that he is certainly something different, perhaps something completely different from what we read in him.
Every being cries out silently to be read differently.
- Simone Weil
I'm spoiled - in all ways. I've been in a rock 'n' roll band since I was 13, and we had incredible success. When it ended, it had been so good that I just looked at it as time to try something different.
- Peter Noone
If you send up a weather vane or put your thumb up in the air every time you want to do something different, to find out what people are going to think about it, you're going to limit yourself. That's a very strange way to live.
- Jessye Norman
I guess my tendency is to think essentially that the new wrinkles won't do the job if the old major idea didn't, and so you have to try something different. Then maybe they can all be combined in some coherent piece.
- Robert Nozick
If you know something bad is coming, can't you plan to avoid it or try to do something differently?" said Charles.
Probably", said the Cartographer, "but then the good events would have no flavor. The joy you find in life is paid for by suffering that comes later, just as sometimes, the suffering is redeemed by a joy unexpected. That's the trade that makes a life worth living.
- James A Owen
Ideology knows the answer before the question has been asked.
Principles are something different: a set of values that have to be adapted to circumstances but not compromised away.
- George Packer
If you're not doing something different, you're not doing anything.
- Sam Phillips
The only way to get people to like working hard is to motivate them. Today, people must understand why they're working hard. Every individual in an organization is motivated by something different.
- Rick Pitino
Daring to wear something different takes effort.
- Miuccia Prada
I knew if I stayed where I was, nothing would get better; nothing would change. If I wanted to ease the pain, I had to try something different.
- Sharon E Rainey
The pain had to be great enough for me to accept my reality, to hope that something different, and hopefully better, was out there and to do whatever came next to reach that point. It seems clear and simple when I write it down on paper. But I also know just because something is simple, it does not mean it is easy.
- Sharon E Rainey
I had a bonding problem when I went off and boxed for five years. I was over in Europe and Asia fighting because I wanted to do something different; I was tired of acting. But the thing is, when I was done doing that, I couldn't get a job.
- Mickey Rourke
Try something different. Surrender.
- Rumi
Belief must be something different from a mixture of opinions about God and the world, and of precepts for one life or for two. Piety cannot be an instinct craving for a mess of metaphysical and ethical crumbs.
- Friedrich Schleiermacher
Every time, I try to make something different.
- Barbet Schroeder
The hardest struggle of all is to be something different from what the average man is.
- Robert H Schuller
I have always strived to do something different, to push myself.
- Seal
It's not that most girls are delusional, per se. It's just that they have this subtle ability to warp actual circumstances into something different. And if there's one thing I'm really against, it is turning a blind eye to reality. What's the point? Things are the way they are, and the best thing for us to do is to just acknowledge that. No one ever died from having too much information. It's the misunderstandings that are the problem.
- Rebecca Serle
It's not that girls are delusional, per se. It's just that they have this subtle ability to warp actual circumstances into something different.
- Rebecca Serle
Fashion embraces the weirdos. They're into that. There are always young people that people in fashion are interested in. You know, youth and vitality and energy - it brings something different.
- Chloe Sevigny
There's something different about you," he says.
"I've started styling my hair differently," I laugh.
"Oh. I thought it was that you were three feet taller, a hell of a lot broader, look like a werewolf, and are naked expect for that bit of cloth around your waist. But you're right -- it's the hair.
- Darren Shan
Single payer means something different to everyone. The way I define it is that health care is a right and not a privilege.
- Peter Shumlin
...the reading, the observing, the living from day to day. It was something that had been born into her and her only - the something different from anyone else in the two families. It was what God or whatever is His equivalent puts into each soul that is given life - the one different thing such as that which makes no two fingerprints on the face of the earth alike.
- Betty Smith
All the best performers bring to their role something more, something different than what the author put on paper. That's what makes theatre live. That's why it persists.
- Stephen Sondheim
... It's hard to make changes. Things get so comfortable and you don't want to move. Maybe it would do you good to be a little uncomfortable for a while, and do something different..
- Danielle Steel
When you're growing up, it takes a long time for you to realize that there's something different about you. On one level, you know there's something strange, but on another, yourself is the only thing you ever knew.
- Brooke Stevens
So one day, in a fit of trying to do something different, I just dyed my hair dark brown and got my first role a week later, after which I thought: 'People are closed-minded, man! Like a different hair colour changes everything!'
- Emma Stone
While I paid, they exchanged some pieties on how everyone has his or her own beliefs, et cetera. Then the woman said, "It's just like, ten people see a car accident, every single one is gonna tell the police something different" (a vivid way, I thought, of localizing the story about the blind men feeling an elephant).
"Tell me which one of 'em gets out to help," the man said, "that's the one whose religion I'll listen to.
- John Jeremiah Sullivan
Pillow talk. It's how you know, it's how you tell, that something different, something special is happening: that this might even be the most important night of your life. Some day -some night- I hope you both may know it, with whoever it may be: the wish, stealing up on you, not to just merge bodies, but all you have, all your years, all your memories up to that point. And why should you wish to do that, if you haven't already guessed that your future too, will be shared?
- Graham Swift
Some of those songs, you really have to bite them. You challenge yourself, you challenge the audience, you do something different. People weren't expecting it.
- Andy Taylor
I think it's the fact that I do something different and that I actually have some success with it. That bothers a lot of people... especially comics.
- Carrot Top
I wanna record these girls individually. And then, I wanna cut a blues album on me. But all of it, original stuff, you know. When I listen to the blues today, it's like they all sounds similar. I wanna do something different, to try to add to the blues flavor.
- Ike Turner
It's strange how memory gets twisted and pulled like taffy in its retelling, how a single event can mean something different to everyone present.
- Lisa Unger
I can't just say one time of the year I'm going to do something different. I have to commit to a lifestyle behavioral change and just try to be a little bit better today than I was yesterday.
- Gabrielle Union
There is an opportunity for us to renew ourselves. There's an opportunity for us to leave the past behind and present something different for the future.
- Jay Weatherill
I do remember what I said. The promise. To protect her. If I'd done that... even if I didn't make it, you wouldn't've had to jump. I want you to know I did save you. Not when it counted, of course. But after that. Every night after that. I'd see it all again, do something different. Faster or more clever, you know? Dozens of times, lots of different ways...Every night I save you.
- Joss Whedon
A hanging, though, was something different. I got to thinking. We hadn't never been to nothing just to have a good time. A hanging was special and we was all getting to go.
- Eddie Whitlock
For me, the key is I always have to be the same person.If someone was to hear me say something on Fox and hear me say something different on NPR, they would say, 'The guy is a hypocrite.'
- Juan Williams
My remit has always been: I want to do something different from the last thing I've done.
- Ruth Wilson
Everybody was tellin' me that I had to do something different, and I kind of agreed that I did need to vary it a little bit. I still love some rock 'n' roll too.
- Johnny Winter
I think you can have moderate success by copying something else, but if you really want to knock it out of the park, you have to do something different and take chances.
- Lee Ann Womack
the past only had whatever power you gave it; life was what you made it and if you wanted something different from what you had, it was up to you to make it happen.
- Sara Zarr
Comments
Post a Comment