Skip to main content

Hope For Quotes

I despise my own nation most. Because I know it best. Because I still love it, suffering from Hope. For me, that's patrotism.
- Edward Abbey

If you hope for any sort of dialogue and unity with all factions on the vaguely leftist or radical side of politics, you must cease from silly verbal abuse. If you don't want it, then we go on as we are, fractious and impotent.
- Edward Abbey

If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
- Mark Twain

We have reached a little altitude where we may look down upon the Indian Thugs with a complacent shudder; and we may even hope for a day, many centuries hence, when our posterity will look down upon us in the same way.
- Mark Twain

Nothing had worked out the way he'd hoped. He should've expected it by now, maybe. After all, things never had before. And yet he kept on pissing into the wind. He was like a man whose door's too low, but instead of working out how to duck, keeps on smacking his head into the lintel every day of his miserable life. He wanted to feel sorry for himself, but he knew he deserved no better. A man can't do the things he'd done, and hope for happy endings.
- Joe Abercrombie

Fearlessness is a fool's boast, to my mind. The only men with no fear in them are dead, or the soon to be dead, maybe. Fear teaches you caution, and respect for your enemy, and to avoid sharp edges used in anger. All good things in their place, believe me. Fear can bring you out alive, and that's the very best anyone can hope for from any fight. Every man who's worth a damn feels fear. It's the use you make of it that counts.
- Joe Abercrombie

The best you can hope for in a relationship is to find
someone whose flaws are the sort you don't mind. It is
futile to look for someone who has no flaws, or someone
who is capable of significant change; that sort of person
exists only in our imaginations.
- Scott Adams

If we hope for what we are not likely to possess, we act and think in vain, and make life a greater dream and shadow than it really is.
- Joseph Addison

Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.
- Joseph Addison

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
- Lee Child

I hope for some sort of peacebut I fear that machines are ahead of morals by some centuries and when morals catch up there'll be no reason for any of it.
- Harry S Truman

Beyond, the unknown lay before us once more, and another impossible task. The four of us emerged from the earth and turned our steps west, toward the last hope for Salvation.
- Ann Aguirre

Love was supposed to move mountains, to make the world go round, to be all you need, but it fell
apart at the details. It couldn't save a single child-not the ones who'd gone to Sterling High that day,
expecting the normal; not Josie Cormier; certainly not Peter. So what was the recipe? Was it love,
mixed with something else for good measure? Luck? Hope? Forgiveness?
- Jodi Picoult

Someone who was happy
would have little need to hope for change. But, conversely, an optimistic person was that way
because he wanted to believe in something better than his reality.
He started wondering if there were exceptions to the rule: if happy people might be hopeful, if the
unhappy might have given up any anticipation that things might get better.
- Jodi Picoult

And when your wife is not the same person you fell in love with eight years ago, where exactly does that leave you? Do you try to get to know who she has become, and hope for the best? Or do you keep deceiving yourself in the hope that she might wake up one morning and have gone back to the woman she used to be? May be, Caleb thinks with a small shock, he isn't the same person he once was, either.
- Jodi Picoult

There is no other help or hope for human weakness but God's love and patience.
- Louisa May Alcott

The only way to combat the murder that is war is to show the dirty combinations that make it and the criminals and swine that hope for it and the idiotic way they run it when they get it so that an honest man will distrust it as he would distrust a racket and refuse to be enslaved into it.
- Ernest Hemingway

Remembrance of the past kills all present energy and deadens all hope for the future
- Maxim Gorky

If newspapers were a baseball team, they would be the Mets - without the hope for those folks at the very pinnacle of the financial food chain - who average nearly $24 million a year in income - 'next year.'
- Eric Alterman

The myth of the liberal media empowers conservatives to control debate in the United States to the point where liberals cannot even hope for a fair shake anymore.
- Eric Alterman

It's a party house."
"I hope for your sake it's a very tame party." If he brought me to some sort of sex orgy, he would fly right through one of those pretty windows, headfirst.
- Ilona Andrews

Hope for the best, be prepared for the worse. Life is shocking, but you must never appear to be shocked. For no matter how bad it is it could be worse and no matter how good it is it could be better.
- Maya Angelou

Dogs are my favorite role models. I want to work like a dog, doing what I was born to do with joy and purpose. I want to play like a dog, with total, jolly abandon. I want to love like a dog, with unabashed devotion and complete lack of concern about what people do for a living, how much money they have, or how much they weigh. The fact that we still live with dogs, even when we don't have to herd or hunt our dinner, gives me hope for humans and canines alike.
- Oprah Winfrey

Reconciliation should be accompanied by justice, otherwise it will not last. While we all hope for peace it shouldn't be peace at any cost but peace based on principle, on justice.
- Corazon Aquino

I hope for the experience of people standing together, turning their backs to the city and facing this, and hearing the leaves rustle. Well, maybe it won't be as bucolic as at the Brooklyn Navy Yard, but I know you will feel removed from the city.
- Michael Arad

All we can hope for is that the thing is going to slowly and imperceptibly shift. All I can say is that 50 years ago there were no such thing as environmental policies.
- David Attenborough

I wish to you sunshine, my dear one, my dear one. And treetops for you to soar past. I wish to you innocence, my child, my child. I pray you don't grow up too fast.
Never know pain, my dear one, my dear one. Nor hunger nor fear nor sorrow. Never know war, my child, my child. Remember your hope for tomorrow.
- Amelia Atwater Rhodes

All I can hope for is a reconstruction: the way love feels is always only approximate.
- Margaret Atwood

For a moment I can't help thinking how decent he is - that there's some hope for him beyond the obnoxious image he displays. Maybe deep down he is a sensitive guy, who sees us as real people with real issues. I want to say something nice. Some kind of thanks. I stand there, rehearsing it in my mind.
"Oh my God," he says, "did you see that girl's tits?"
Maybe not today.
- Melina Marchetta

I am beggining to realise," Alex murmured, "why people always hope for sons. It has nothing to do with producing an heir."
"That was unkind," Octavia said, not sounding the least bit insulted.
"Females are a prodigious amount of work.
- Julia Quinn

and if he could survive
the experience without completely losing heart, then perhaps
there was some hope for him after all.
By sticking with the
cab, he wasn't trying to make the best of a bad situation. He
was looking for a way to make things happen, and until he understood
what those things were, he wouldn't have the right to
release himself from his bondage.
- Paul Auster

There's hope for everyone. That's what makes the world go round.
- Paul Auster

Pessimists are the people who have no hope for themselves or for others. Pessimists are also people who think the human race is beneath their notice, that they're better than other human beings.
- James A Baldwin

Courage is like love; it must have hope for nourishment.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

No one seems to have thought of the fact that life is absurd, being a brilliant success has no greater value than being a failure. It's just more comfortable. And even then: I think lucidity gives your success a bitter taste, whereas mediocrity still leaves hope for something.
- Muriel Barbery

I want to be remembered as an imaginer, someone who used his imagination as a way to journey beyond the limits of self, beyond the limits of flesh and blood, beyond the limits of even perhaps life itself, in order to discover some sense of order in what appears to be a disordered universe. I'm using my imagination to find meaning, both for myself and, I hope, for my readers.-Clive Barker
- Clive Barker

Best hope for what, Catman? Death? Bankruptcy? You know, my life was going along...well, rather crappily, to be honest, but at least no one was trying to kill me and no one was dying around me. Since I met you, my life has taken the high road to Shitsville, with no off-ramp in sight. (Susan)
- Sherrilyn Kenyon

There are some pains that run too deep for anything to absolve them. The best we can do is pick up the pieces and hope for the strength we need to keep going.
- Sherrilyn Kenyon

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement.
- Charles M Schulz

When I was young, my father used to say, 'If you are alive, there is hope for a better day and something good to happen. If there is nothing good left in the destiny of a person, he or she will die.' I thought about these words during my journey, and they kept me moving even when I didn't know where I was going. Those words became the vehicle that drove my spirit forward and made it stay alive.
- Ishmael Beah

As freedom-loving people across the globe hope for an end to tyranny, we will never forget the enormous suffering of the Holocaust.
- Bob Beauprez

He who despairs of the human condition is a coward, but he who has hope for it is a fool.
- Albert Camus

As if that blind rage had washed me clean, rid me of hope; for the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world.
- Albert Camus

Strange as it may seem, I still hope for the best, even though the best, like an interesting piece of mail, so rarely arrives, and even when it does it can be lost so easily.
- Lemony Snicket

In this life you've got to hope for the best, prepare for the worst and take whatever God sends.
- L M Montgomery

I realize full well how hard it must be to go on living alone in a place from which someone has left you, but there is nothing so cruel in this world as the desolation of having nothing to hope for.
- Haruki Murakami

There is nothing so cruel in this world as the desolation of having nothing to hope for.
- Haruki Murakami

I'm very much an optimist. I don't think I could do my work if I didn't believe there was some kind of hope for humanity.
- Sandra Bernhard

It's being here now that's important. There's no past and there's no future. Time is a very misleading thing. All there is ever, is the now. We can gain experience from the past, but we can't relive it; and we can hope for the future, but we don't know if there is one.
- George Harrison

I have always striven to raise the voice of hope for a world where hate gives way to respect and oppression to liberation.
- Theodore Bikel

I did it to get what I want. Maybe I should regret that, but I can't. Sometimes you do the bad thing and hope for the good result.
- Holly Black

I just believe that the feeling of wonder is amazing. I am pushing myself as far as I can humanly push myself... I can only hope for the best and expect the worse.
- David Blaine

Her shoes were comfortable. They reflected her hope for the evening.
- William Peter Blatty

They say a person needs just three things to be truly happy in this world: someone to love, something to do, and something to hope for.
- Tom Bodett

All losses are sad. The end of an important relationship is also a death. When people fall out of love with each other, or when what seemed like a solid friendship falls into ruin, the hope for a shared future--a hope that provided a context and a purpose to life--is gone. [p. 149]
- Sylvia Boorstein

It is necessary to hope... for hope itself is happiness.
- Samuel Johnson

Be prepared, work hard, and hope for a little luck. Recognize that the harder you work and the better prepared you are, the more luck you might have.
- Ed Bradley

If you hope for happiness in the world, hope for it from God, and not from the world.
- David Brainerd

Sometimes they are a matter of luck; the photographer could not expect or hope for them. Sometimes they are a matter of patience, waiting for an effect to be repeated that he has seen and lost or for one that he anticipates.
- Bill Brandt

Euripedes. Nothing is hopeless; we must hope for everything.
- Madeleine L Engle

Looking at the children, she knew that any hope for a new life would have to grow within her. She glanced at Nate, wondering if he felt as she did, that children were the only consolation in this world, the only recompense for so much suffering.
- Laura Brodie

Hope for the Best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed.
- Mel Brooks

Children are the world's most valuable resource and its best hope for the future.
- John F Kennedy

I totally disagree with the view that the Tibet struggle will die, and there will be no hope for Tibet, after the Dalai Lama passes away.
- Dalai Lama

You kind of hope that the events themselves are interesting. I think that's what you have to hope for, that on a broad level it's an interesting story.
- Chester Brown

But what I hope for from a book - either one that I write or one that I read - is transparency. I want the story to shine through. I don't want to think of the writer.
- Anne Tyler

Many people lose the small joys in the hope for the big happiness.
- Pearl S Buck

Robert Frost on hope for the future: Yes, and even for the past...that it will turn out to have been all right for what it was. Something I can accept. Mistakes made by the self I had to be or was not able to be.
- Robert Frost

All I'm saying is that, unless you're immortal, nothing can really belong to you. The best you can hope for is to hold something for a while, but in the end you've got to give it back.
- Neal Shusterman

All you can do is hope for a pattern to emerge, and sometimes it never does. Still, with a plan, you only get the best you can imagine. I'd always hoped for something better than that.
- Chuck Palahniuk

That's because we keep weapons in the attic, silly boy. Do you think this is the first time monsters have attacked our family?"
"Weapons," Frank grumbled. "Right. I've never handled weapons before."
Grandmother's nostrils flared. "Was that sarcasm, Fai Zhang?"
"Yes, Grandmother."
"Good. There may be hope for you yet.
- Rick Riordan

The United Nations is our one great hope for a peaceful and free world.
- Ralph Bunche

Those who hope for no other life are dead even for this.
- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

Nothing exists until or unless it is observed. An artist is making something exist by observing it. And his hope for other people is that they will also make it exist by observing it. I call it 'creative observation.' Creative viewing.
- William S Burroughs

The chance to be both artistically appreciated and commercially appreciated... That's what you hope for.
- Gerard Butler

If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
- Albert Einstein

Learn from Yesterday, Live for Today and Hope for Tomorrow.
- Albert Einstein

If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.
- Albert Einstein

If at first an idea isn't absurd, there's no hope for it.
- Albert Einstein

Independent women must expect more of themselves, since neither men nor other more conventionally domesticated women will hope for anything, or expect any result other than utter failure.
- A S Byatt

One thing that you hope for when you want to be a musician is that you have that recognizable sound.
- Jerry Cantrell

I have hope for you, if only because you're the only one left to hope for.
- Orson Scott Card

The most important training, though, is to experience life as a writer, questioning everything, inventing multiple explanations for everything. If you do that, all the other things will come; if you don't, there's no hope for you.
- Orson Scott Card

Hope for the best, expect the worst.
- Angela Carter

When we're not together, I want to be. When we're not touching, I hold out hope for just the slightest, accidental graze. You're all I think about and it's because my whole world is falling for you. Hard.
- Georgia Cates

We leave as we came and, god willing, as we shall return, with peace, and hope for all mankind.
- Eugene Cernan

As we leave the Moon at Taurus-Littrow, we leave as we came, and God willing, as we shall return, with peace and hope for all mankind.
- Gene Cernan

See you in the funny papers, he said. Jaunty, he reminded himself; always jaunty. In my panache is their hope for salvation.
- Michael Chabon

People have managed to avert their eyes and hope for the best.
- David Chalmers

Armageddon is not around the corner. This is only what the people of violence want us to believe. The complexity and diversity of the world is the hope for the future.
- Michael Palin

There is hope for the future because God has a sense of humor and we are funny to God.
- Bill Cosby

I always like to see enlightened parents like that; it gives me hope for the future.
- Stephen King

Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem - (Latin - written 19 BC)
The only hope for the doomed, is no hope at all..
- Virgil

People wish to be settled; only as far as they are unsettled is there any hope for them.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I am so beautiful, sometimes people weep when they see me. And it has nothing to do with what I look like really, it is just that I gave myself the power to say that I am beautiful, and if I could do that, maybe there is hope for them too. And the great divide between the beautiful and the ugly will cease to be. Because we are all what we choose.
- Margaret Cho

You hope for the best, but it's really OK if you don't win. They say it's just nice to be nominated, and it really is.
- Tyler Christopher

Maybe we are a little crazy. After all, we believe in things we don't see. The Scriptures say that faith is "being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" (Heb. 11:1). We believe poverty can end even though it is all around us. We believe in peace even though we hear only rumours of wars. And since we are people of expectation, we are so convinced that another world is coming that we start living as if it were already here.
- Shane Claiborne

If a man like Malcolm X could change and repudiate racism, if I myself and other former Muslims can change, if young whites can change, then there is hope for America.
- Eldridge Cleaver

Keep up hope for a better economy, more jobs, better wages, affordable healthcare and all the issues we have brought into focus.
- Bob Clement

Pray for peace, hope for love, work towards a better community.
- S L Coelho

She has been hanging on to the hope of him for so long that she doesn't realize there isn't anything left to hope for.
- David Levithan

I get it. The things you hope for the most are the things that destroy you in the end.
- David Levithan

The less we deserve good fortune, the more we hope for it.
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I'm not sure if our friendship is strong enough to survive into next year when we're away at college. But. We know each other in a way that no one else can. We share a history that makes us permanently connected. So I have to hope for us. All I can do is hope.
- Susane Colasanti

What can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man?
- Terry Pratchett

I don't regret it, you know. I would do it all again. Children are our hope for the future."
THERE IS NO HOPE FOR THE FUTURE, said Death.
"What does it contain, then?"
ME.
- Terry Pratchett

If he could learn to love another, and earn her love in return by the time the last petal fell, then the spell would be broken. If not, he would be doomed to remain a beast for all time. As the years passed, he fell into despair and lost all hope. For who could ever learn to love a beast? -Beauty & the Beast
- Walt Disney Company

I know you love me. I love you, I always will, but things can't hold like this. They have to break. You say you don't mind, that you will wait for me, but I think that you do mind, and you should. Because we've done too much waiting in our lives, Xander. Don't wait for me anymore. I hope for love for you.
I hope for this more than anything else, maybe even more than my own happiness. And in a way, perhaps that means I love Xander best of all.
- Ally Condie

We all hope for breakthrough rebirth moments.
- Dane Cook

Always keep your mouth shut with a drunk. You can never win with piss tanks. The most you can hope for is to break even.
- Douglas Coupland

I think that every reader on earth has a list of cherished books as unique as their fingerprints....I think that, as you age, you tend to gravitate towards the classics, but those aren't the books that give you the same sort of hope for the world that a cherished book does.
- Douglas Coupland

If someone decides to be a musician now, it means because there is no hope of money at the end of it, it means they really want to be a musician. And if someone is writing now, there is no hope for money at the end of it.
- Doug Coupland

You have to open up to the world and learn optimism...Contentment with the past, happiness with the present, and hope for the future. Learned optimisim.
- Jennifer Crusie

Zoe loved Trancas's mother. She respected her exhausted and ironic hope for rebirth.
- Michael Cunningham

America is the greatest, freest and most decent society in existence. It is an oasis of goodness in a desert of cynicism and barbarism. This country, once an experiment unique in the world, is now the last best hope for the world.
- Dinesh D Souza

There is no hope for the hopeless but there is always some love for the loveless.
- Santosh Kalwar

A crash of cymbals exploded in her ear. She opened her eyes to behold Driggs clanging them vigorously, a mischievous grin on his face and a large bruise surrounding his eye.
"I hope, for the sake of your fertility, you're wearing a cup," she warned through clenched teeth."
"Come on," he said, jumping onto to the mattress. "It's time for work."
Lex moaned. "How are you so awake already?"
"If you recall, I eat a lot of chocolate.
- Gina Damico

All anyone can hope for is just a tiny bit of love, manman says, like a drop in a cup if you can get it, or a waterfall, a flood, if you can get that too.
- Edwidge Danticat

How about we just be Haven and Carmine?" she suggested. "We don't know the ending, but we can always hope for the best."
"I like that," he said. "Besides, there's a reason we don't know how the story ends."
"Why?"
"Because it doesn't.
- J M Darhower

Fire should never be tempered in a female because that's what fuels her passion, causing it to ignite." He lifted my chin with his hand and stroked his thumb gently across my lips. "All a male can hope for is to be consumed by it until there is nothing left of him.
- Dannika Dark

Forgiveness means letting go of the hope for a better past.
- Lama Surya Das

And I remembered The Fourteenth Book of Bokonon, which I had read in its entirety the night before. The Fourteenth Book is entitled, "What Can a Thoughtful Man Hope for Mankind on Earth, Given the Experience of the Past Million Years?"
It doesn't take long to read The Fourteenth Book. It consists of one word and a period.
This is it:
"Nothing.
- Kurt Vonnegut

Title: What Can a Thoughtful Man Hope for Mankind on Earth, Given the Experience of the Past Million Years?
Only verse: Nothing.
- Kurt Vonnegut

The Fourteenth Book is entitled, "What can a Thoughtful Man Hope for Mankind on Earth, Given the Experience of the Past Million Years?"
It doesn't take long to read The Fourteenth Book. It consists of one word and a period.
This is it: "Nothing.
- Kurt Vonnegut

Can I just tell you, I think it's the most beautiful thing about young people today, it gives me so much hope for the future, that they don't really recognize race the way my generation does.
- Viola Davis

Today is a celebration of hope for the Iraqi people. The Iraqi people can now take control of their government and their future by creating a society that protects the rights endowed to us by our creator - life, liberty and freedom.
- Jim Demint

I wondered if there would ever be a day when I didn't think about Alaska, wondered whether I should hope for a time when she would be a distant memory - recalled only on the anniversary of her death, or maybe a couple of weeks after, remembering only after having forgotten.
- John Green

I believe in hope, in what is something called "radical hope." I believe there is hope for all of us, even amid the suffering. And that's why I write fiction, probaby. It's my attempt to keep that fragile strand of radical hope, to buld a fire in the darkness.r
- John Green

The things you hope for the most are the things that destroy you in the end.
- John Green

I get it now. I get it. The things you hope for the most are the things that destroy you in the end.
- John Green

I believe in hope, in what is sometimes called "radical hope." I believe there is hope for us all, even amid the sufferingand maybe even inside suffering.
- John Green

Look, the point is there's no way to be a hundred percent sure about anyone or anything. So you're left with a choice. Either hope for the best or just expect the worst.
- Sarah Dessen

there's no way to be a hundred percent sure about anyone or anyhting. so your left with a choice. either hope for the best or just expect the worst.
- Sarah Dessen

Look," he said, "the point is there's no way to be a hundred percent sure about anyone or anything. So you're left with a choice. Either hope for the best, or just expect the worst."
If you expect the worst, you're never disappointed," I pointed out.
Yeah, but who lives like that?
- Sarah Dessen

With certainty, I can predict that there will never be a cure to cancer. The only hope for any of us is to concentrate on cause and prevent the misery.
- Richard Diaz

I only hope, for the sake of the rising male sex generally, that you may be found in as vulnerable and soft-hearted a mood by the first eligible young fellow who appeals to your compassion.
- Charles Dickens

I am prepared for the worst, but hope for the best.
- Benjamin Disraeli

I guess there's a lot we hope for that never happens.
- Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni

You ever hope for something so much? So much you can't sleep, so much your skull hurts? But the thing is, you don't even know if the thing you're wishing for is possible? You don't even know if it could happen? And it's all out of your control?
- Anthony Doerr

I would not want to be a child again, for a child exists in uncertainty and danger. Our flesh and blood, we cannot help but fear for them, as we hope for them to make their way in this life.
- Keith Donohue

Till the last moment they dress a man up in peacock's feathers, till the last moment they hope for the good and not the bad; and though they may have premonitions of the other side of the coin, for the life of them they will not utter a real word beforehand; the thought alone makes them cringe; they wave the truth away with both hands, till the very moment when the man they've decked out so finely sticks their noses in it with his own two hands.
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Inventions have long since reached their limit, and I see no hope for further development.
- Ursula K Le Guin

It struck me that working digitally with a small crew, I could lay out a general plan for Famous and hope for mistakes which would create something more than satire and something less than truthful reality.
- Griffin Dunne

What do you hope for that you haven't got? What can that child give you?' There was a little silence. 'A virgin audience for my riddles, I believe,' said Lymond thoughtfully, at length. 'But it certainly poses an ungallant question.
- Dorothy Dunnett

It may be that we are doomed, that there is no hope for us, any of us, but if that is so then let us set up a last agonizing, bloodcurdling howl, a screech of defiance, a war whoop! Away with lamentation! Away with elegies and dirges! Away with biographies and histories, and libraries and museums! Let the dead eat the dead. Let us living ones dance about the rim of the crater, a last expiring dance. But a dance! - Tropic of Cancer
- Henry Miller

I hope for your help to explore and protect the wild ocean in ways that will restore the health and, in so doing, secure hope for humankind. Health to the ocean means health for us.
- Sylvia Earle

...we never cease hoping--and thus did our Judge condemn us to suffer in saecula.'
Ferrante asked: 'But what is it that you hope for?'
You might as well ask what you will hope for yourself....You will hope that a wisp of wind, the slightest swell of the tide, the arrival of a single hungry leech, can return us, atom by atom, to the great Void of the Universe, where we would somehow again participate in the cycle of life.
- Umberto Eco

The very existence of libraries affords the best evidence that we may yet have hope for the future of man
- T S Eliot

I said to my soul, be still, and wait without hope, For hope would be hope for the wrong thing.
- T S Eliot

My pain is constant and sharp, and I do not hope for a better world for anyone.
- Bret Easton Ellis

Nothing is hopeless; we must hope for everything.
- Euripides

I'm no one important or famous, no matter. It is better to be loved by one person who knows your soul than millions who don't even know your phone number. I have loved and been loved as deeply as a man can hope for. Which makes me a lucky man. It also means that I have suffered. Life has taught me that to fly, you must first accept the possibility of falling.
- Richard Paul Evans

We must be careful what we imagine, fear, or hope for. The echoes of our thought live on in eternity.
- Robert Fanney

We are all serving a life sentence, and good behavior is our only hope for a pardon.
- Douglas Horton

It is in the admission of ignorance and the admission of uncertainty that there is a hope for the continuous motion of human beings in some direction that doesn't get confined, permanently blocked, as it has so many times before in various periods in the history of man.
- Richard P Feynman

Our human compassion binds us the one to the other - not in pity or patronizingly, but as human beings who have learnt how to turn our common suffering into hope for the future.
- Nelson Mandela

Like so many things Henry had wanted in life -- like his father, his marriage, his life -- it had arrived a little damaged. Imperfect. But he didn't care, this was all he'd wanted. Something to hope for, and he'd found it. It didn't matter what condition it was in.
- Jamie Ford

If money is your hope for independence you will never have it. The only real security that a man will have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.
- Henry Ford

Well, listen, you know, the Czech saying is, you know, when you are drowning you are grabbing even a little twig. That's what all Czechs were doing, grabbing for... with the hope for this little twig.
- Milos Forman

The survival of liberty in our land increasingly depends on the success of liberty in other lands. The best hope for peace in our world is the expansion of freedom in all the world.
- Bill Frist

I do not want to know what you will hope for. I want to know what you will work for. I do not want your sympathy for the needs of humanity. I want your muscle. As the wagon driver said when they came to a long, hard hill: 'Them that's going on with us, get out and push. Them that ain't, get out of the way'.
- Robert Fulghum

...but there came a point when one abandoned hope for faith, and trusted fate for charity.
- Diana Gabaldon

To the furniture worker's child in North Carolina who wants to become a doctor or a scientist, an engineer or an entrepreneur, a diplomat or even a president -- that's the future we hope for. That's the vision we share. That's where we need to go -- forward
- Barack Obama

He was saner than anyone --had fallen out of the world of illusion: love, interesting work, hope for the future.
- John Gardner

You can be diagnosed and treated early. And there is hope for the future.
- Teri Garr

It seems strange to think, that what gives us most hope for the future should be called Dolores, said Margaret.
- Elizabeth Gaskell

We always hope for the easy fix: the one simple change that will erase a problem in a stroke. But few things in life work this way. Instead, success requires making a hundred small steps go right - one after the other, no slipups, no goofs, everyone pitching in.
- Atul Gawande

What do all men seek? I want to be happy. I would like a wife and sons one day. But I want them to grow in a land where there is hope for the future, where men do not take to the road. If that is a hopeless dream - and maybe it is - then I will sire no sons. I will wander, and play my harp, and weave my magick until the end.
- David Gemmell

Sometimes, the stars line up, the gods smile, and love gets a fighting chance. Just a chance. That's all it can really hope for. No guarantees, no certainties
- Tess Gerritsen

What I love about how my career has gone up to this point is that I've always, always put my head down on my pillow at night, and I've been able to say that I've done, honestly, what I've felt like I wanted to do. And that's really all you can hope for in everything you do.
- Debbie Gibson

If all you can promise me is today, I'll take it and hope for tomorrow.
- Ellen Hopkins

It is these undeniable qualities of human love and compassion and self-sacrifice that give me hope for the future. We are, indeed, often cruel and evil. Nobody can deny this. We gang up on each one another, we torture each other, with words as well as deeds, we fight, we kill. But we are also capable of the most noble, generous, and heroic behavior.
- Jane Goodall

Sometime, Mrs. Truitt, we work very hard at something, we exhaust ourselves to accomplish something which seems vital to us." He chose his words with care. "Our best hope for happiness. And sometimes we find that thing, only to find it has simply not been worth the effort.
- Robert Goolrick

Odette nodded at my notebook, where I was writing as she spoke. 'Do the people in America really want to read this? People tell me to write these things down, but it's written inside of me. I almost hope for the day when I can forget.
- Philip Gourevitch

therefore i live for today-
certain of finding at sunrise
guidance and strength for the way.
power for each moment of weakness,
hope for each moment of pain,
comfort for every sorrow,
sunshine and joy after rain!
- Billy Graham

God's mercy and grace give me hope - for myself, and for our world.
- Billy Graham

I've had nine of my books adapted to film, and almost all were enjoyable. I've been very lucky with Hollywood, and look forward to more movies being adapted. But I don't get involved in that process. I know nothing about making movies and I stay away from it and hope for the best.
- John Grisham

In the kind of world we have today, transformation of humanity might well be our only real hope for survival.
- Stanislav Grof

We have reached the point where ignorance and neglect are the best we can hope for in a ruler.
- Lev Grossman

Man must use what he has, not hope for what is not.
- G I Gurdjieff

...she knew, with all her heart that running away from the country's top relationship coach was as good as saying, 'there's no hope for me, ever'!
- Diane Hall

No young doctor nowadays can hope for work as exciting and rewarding.
- Alice Hamilton

My main hope for myself is to be where I am.
- Woody Harrelson

Take short views,
Hope for the best,
and Trust in God.
- Sydney Smith

Alfred Nobel was much concerned, as are we all, with the tangible benefits we hope for and expect from physiological and medical research, and the Faculty of the Caroline Institute has ever been alert to recognize practical benefits.
- Haldan Keffer Hartline

I'm not ready to give you a clear answer on whether electoral politics holds any particular hope for progressives. It would mean that nothing I did ever mattered.
- Tom Hayden

History says, Don't hope/On this side of the grave/But then, once in a lifetime/The longest-for tidal wave of justice can rise up/And hope and history rhyme./So hope for a great sea change/On the far side of revenge/Believe in miracles...
- Seamus Heaney

We women have lived too much with closure: "If he notices me, if I marry him, if I get into college, if I get this work accepted, if I get this job" -- there always seems to loom the possibility of something being over, settled, sweeping clear the way for contentment. This is the delusion of a passive life. When the hope for closure is abandoned, when there is an end to fantasy, adventure for women will begin.
- Carolyn Gold Heilbrun

Insecurity and resignation mingle with the hope for a better order.
- Gustav Heinemann

America must be the moral leader. It is not enough to have power. Power must be used to protect freedom and give all people hope for the opportunity to see the fruit of their own labor.
- Jesse Helms

To see the beauty of the world is to put your hands on lines that run uninterrupted through life and through death. Touching them is an act of hope, for perhaps someone on the other side, if there is another side, is touching them, too.
- Mark Helprin

Wow! said Dennis, as though nobody in their wildest dreams could hope for more than being thrown into a storm-tossed, fathoms-deep lake, and being pushed out of it again by a giant sea monster.
- J K Rowling

I rush to her side and touch her cold skin, hoping against hope for a pulse.
- Steven Herrick

What We want is to make it possible for our unfortunate people to live a life of industry for it is by steady work alone that we hope for our physical and moral rehabilitation. For this reason above all we have undertaken to rally our people around our ideal.
- Theodor Herzl

To hope for nothing, to expect nothing, to demand nothing. This is analytical despair.
- James Hillman

I can't express how wonderful it is to get feedback when you've been sort of in a bubble working on something and then you release it to the world and hope for the best. It's like the birth of a musical baby.
- Susanna Hoffs

It was stunning actually, because what you would hope for from our national leaders is some reflection, some understanding that the situation that we encountered in Iraq was not what we expected, that it was not what he said it would be.
- Chris Van Hollen

There comes a time in every scoundrel's life when he catches a glimpse of what he might have been. Only if he catches it in the reflection of the right woman's eye, is there hope for reform.
From The Dulcet Duke
- Diana Holquist

It is necessary to remember, as we think critically about domination, that we all have the capacity to act in ways that oppress, dominate, wound (whether or not that power is institutionalized). It is necessary to remember that it is first the potential oppressor within that we must resist the potential victim within that we must rescue otherwise we cannot hope for an end to domination, for liberation.
- Bell Hooks

So I try not to do press and if you can keep the balance of keeping a certain degree of anonymity and do interesting work then you can hope for a degree of career longevity.
- Charlie Hunnam

All what we hope for is that a day will come, when we have all gone, when people will say that this man has tried, and his family tried. This is all there is to seek in this world.
- King Hussein I

Popular posts from this blog

Wall Street Journal Quotes

I became a larger than life figure for one reason only. When you're quoted in the 'Wall Street Journal,' the 'New York Times,' constantly as the expert in the business people assume you're a lot bigger than you are. And then I had to run like hell to catch up with my own image. - Barbara Corcoran In two days he saw Rupert Murdoch, his son James, and the management of their Wall Street Journal; Arthur Sulzberger Jr. and the top executives at the New York Times; and executives at Time, Fortune, and other Time Inc. magazines. "I would love to help quality journalism," he later said. "We can't depend on bloggers for our news. - Walter Isaacson I supported myself by delivering the 'Wall Street Journal' and doing odd jobs. I love plumbing and carpentry. - David Lynch Creative work is often driven by pain. It may be that if you don't have something in the back of your head driving you nuts, you may not do anything. It's not a good ...

Fat Person Quotes

She was convinced that she was anorexic, because every time she looked in the mirror she did indeed see a fat person. - Terry Pratchett I sensed immediately that he'd once been overweight. He moved with a fat person's tiptoey apology. - Jennifer Egan I feel self-conscious calling my cat fat in front of a fat person, considering I'm skinny and inconsiderate. - Jarod Kintz I call myself a FFP: former fat person, and when you're an FFP, you will always see in yourself what people used to bully you for. - Kelly Osbourne Well you know, it's true that as a fat person I run a greater risk of heart disease, diabetes, and a number of other things. But guess what? The amount of that risk is almost infinitessimal! - Daniel Pinkwater