A brown spotted lady-bug climbed the dizzy height of a grass blade, and Tom bent down close to it and said, "Lady-bug, lady-bug, fly away home, your house is on fire, your children's alone," and she took wing and went off to see about it -- which did not surprise the boy, for he knew of old that this insect was credulous about conflagrations, and he had practised upon its simplicity more than once.
- Mark Twain
To us, our house was not unsentient matter -- it had a heart, and a soul, and eyes to see us with; and approvals and solicitudes and deep sympathies; it was of us, and we were in its confidence, and lived in its grace and in the peace of its benediction.
- Mark Twain
It just gets frustrating playing the girlfriend, It's just this awful feeling, sitting in your house, waiting for a script to come. I like to be more proactive.
- Joey Lauren Adams
If prayers can move mountains, certainly it can drive evil spirits away from your house. Let Professional Prayer Warriors help you.
- Ann Marie Aguilar
Everything - our houses, our clothes, our hairstyles - is meant to help us forget ourselves and to protect us from vanity, greed and envy, which are just forms of selfishness. If we have little, and want for little, and we are all equal, we envy no one.
- Veronica Roth
I am going to sit here in the river. If you go home to sleep, I will sleep in front of your house. And if you go away, I will follow you--until you tell me to go away. Then I'll leave. But I have to love you for the rest of my life.
- Paulo Coelho
Normal, in our house, is like a blanket too short for a bed--sometimes it covers you just fine, and other times it leaves you cold and shaking; and worst of all, you never know which of the two it's going to be.
- Jodi Picoult
Don't ever leave me again. Love only me, for the rest of our lives. Move into our house, make love to me every night, and make babies with me, Elli. Please, because being with you made me a better man, and I could never love anyone the way I love you. So please, marry me.
- Toni Aleo
Hey Audrey,I am watching you de-clutter your house,do you need help?
- Toni Aleo
Jace, on the other hand, looked like the sort of boy who'd come over to your house and burn it down for kicks.
- Cassandra Clare
Even in half demon hunter clothes, Clary thought, he looked like the kind of boy who'd come over your house to pick you up for a date and be polite to your parents and nice to your pets.
Jace on the other hand, looked like the kind of boy who'd come over your house and burn it down just for kicks.
- Cassandra Clare
I've leased the apartment; my partner is going to come out here. But we're keeping our house in Chicago because real estate is a really good investment and also because it is just crammed with full of stuff!
- Ted Allen
If I let her in I'm doomed. It's like inviting a vampire into your house. Once you've invite them in, that's it, you're good as dead!
- Janet Evanovich
In fact, it was the women in our house who were in the saddle. If men are the gods, women are not only the presidents but all the ministers of the government.
- Pedro Almodovar
I realized my family was funny, because nobody ever wanted to leave our house.
- Anthony Anderson
Drink it," I told her. "It's good for what ails you. Caffeine and sugar. I don't drink it, so I ran over to your house and stole the expensive stuff in your freezer. It shouldn't be that bad. Samuel told me to make it strong and pour sugar into it. It should taste sort of like bitter syrup."
She gave me a smile smile, then a bigger one, and plugged her nose before she drank it down in one gulp. "Next time," she said in a hoarse voice, "I make the coffee.
- Patricia Briggs
There was a war going on in our house. A silent war that sounded no guns, and the bodies that fell were only wishes that died and the bullets were only words and the blood that spilled was always called pride.
- Virginia C Andrews
It is our duty still to endeavor to avoid war; but if it shall actually take place, no matter by whom brought on, we must defend ourselves. If our house be on fire, without inquiring whether it was fired from within or without, we must try to extinguish it.
- Thomas Jefferson
Hey, honey," I greeted. "What's up?"
"His filthy, rusted, beat up, in desperate need of a trade up truck is still in front of your house, that's what's up," was Martha's greeting
- Kristen Ashley
As regards your government of yourself and your household, Sancho, my first piece of advice is to be clean and to cut your fingernails, and not to let them grow long, as some people do, moved by ignorance to believe that long nails make their hand look beautiful, as if those appendages, those excrescences that they leave uncut have any right to be called fingernails at all, because they are more like talons of a kestrel: a monstrous and filthy abuse.
- Miguel De Cervantes Saavedra
This is the best night of my life," Raffy says, crying.
"Raffy, half our House has burnt down," I say wearily. "We don't have a kitchen."
"Why do you always have to be so pessimistic?" she asks. "We can double up in our rooms and have a barbecue every night like the Cadets."
Silently I vow to keep Raffy around for the rest of my life.
- Melina Marchetta
Well, I don't like your clothes. You look perfectly ridiculous in them. Why on earth don't you go up and change? It's perfectly childish to be in mourning for a man who is actually staying a whole week with you in your house as a guest. I call it grotesque.
- Oscar Wilde
Our house was bombed, and the roof fell in. We were sitting under the stairs of the basement, and we were quite safe, but it brought home the realization. In two nights 400 people were killed in small town.
- Roger Bannister
I don't like this, Artemis. I'm not a dog to be chained outside your house because you're afraid I'll piss on your rug. (Acheron)
- Sherrilyn Kenyon
I'm here to clean your house and I won't be merciful while doing it. Fuck with me and you'll be nothing more than your mama's bad memory. (Styxx as Acheron)
- Sherrilyn Kenyon
I'm at your house?" Kody asked.
"You don't have to sound so offended. I do have people clean it, you know?"
"Sorry." She sighed wearily. "You have no idea how confusing it is to wake up in a strange place with no idea how you got there."
Caleb laughed. "Sure I do. Happens to me frequently."
She rolled her eyes at his frightening lifestyle. "Yes, but I woke up in this bed alone.
- Sherrilyn Kenyon
So, Magellan, where are we going? (Danger)
Away. I'm open to any location, so long as it doesn't involve returning to your house while Wart-Head is there.
- Sherrilyn Kenyon
Dear Blubbo, How is it going? It is fine here. My sisters are fine. Mom is usual. Everything is regular in life except I am still seeing the burning skull heads. Yesterday Mom took me to Sears for school clothes. I told my sisters I could see the people's head bones. They said DO NOT tell Mom. A guy moved a trailer onto the empty lot by our house. His skull is spectacular, many colors glowing.
- Lynda Barry
Don't own so much clutter that you will be relieved to see your house catch fire.
- Wendell Berry
Architect. One who drafts a plan of your house, and plans a draft of your money.
- Ambrose Bierce
If you really think there's a Santa, why don't you sit on the front steps all night in the freezing cold and see if he climbs down any chimneys tonight. Good luck. And since we're a family that isn't lucky enough to have a chimney, how would Santa get into our house? Does he bring a locksmith with him? And it probably would have to be a Jewish locksmith, because a Christian locksmith is going to want to be home with his family. And how many Jewish locksmiths are there? None.
- Lewis Black
Someone could cut through the mess in our house and look at it like one might look at rings on a tree or layers of sediment. They'd find the black-and-white hairs of a dog we had when I was six, the acid-washed jeans my mother once wore, the seven blood-soaked pillowcases from the time I skinned my knee. All our family secrets rest in endless piles.
- Holly Black
I lived in Georgetown in the late '70s about four houses down from the steps.
- William Peter Blatty
A plague on both your houses.
- William Shakespeare
Poor naked wretches, whereso'er you are,
That bide the pelting of this pitiless storm,
How shall your houseless heads and unfed sides,
Your loop'd and window'd raggedness, defend you
From seasons such as these? O, I have ta'en
Too little care of this! Take physic, pomp;
Expose thyself to feel what wretches feel,
That thou mayst shake the superflux to them,
And show the heavens more just.
- William Shakespeare
I am thankful the most important key in history was invented. It's not the key to your house, your car, your boat, your safety deposit box, your bike lock or your private community. It's the key to order, sanity, and peace of mind. The key is 'Delete.'
- Elayne Boosler
Children are like crazy, drunken small people in your house.
- Julie Bowen
You know, the bigger you get and the more success you have, the more people you can fill your house with to tell you how great you are. You can do that.
- Lara Flynn Boyle
No, books. She would have maybe twenty going at a time, lying all over our house--on the kitchen table, by her bed, the bathroom, our car, her bags, a little stack at the edge of each stair. And she'd use anything she could find for a bookmark. My missing sock, an apple core, her reading glasses, another book, a fork.
- Kami Garcia
My mother was determined to make us independent. When I was four years old, she stopped the car a few miles from our house and made me find my own way home across the fields. I got hopelessly lost.
- Richard Branson
We aren't in high school. We aren't really in our families and we aren't in our houses. Those are the places we grew up and the times we spent together, but they aren't us. If think they are, then we're lost, because times end and places are lost. We aren't any place or any time... We are everywhere.
- Ann Brashares
Your success as a family... our success as a nation... depends not on what happens inside the White House, but on what happens inside your house.
- Barbara Bush
If your Soviet neighbor is trying to set fire to your house, you can't be worrying about the Arab down the block. If suddenly it's the Arab in your backyard , you can't be worrying about the People's Republic of China and if one day the ChiComs show up at your front door with an eviction notice in one hand and a Molotov cocktail in the other, then the last thing you're going do is look over his shoulder for a walking corpse.
- Max Brooks
Also, we will make promise. So long as The Blood endures,
I shall know that your good is mine: ye shall feel that my strength is yours:
In the day of Armageddon, at the last great fight of all,
That Our House stand together and the pillars do not fall.
- Rudyard Kipling
Oh that. Men do fall in love with me. They seem to think me a creature with volcanic passions; I'm sure I don't know why. All the volcanic women I know are plain little creatures with sandy hair. I don't consider human volcanoes respectable. And I'm so tired of the subject. Our house is always full of women in love with my husband and men in love with me. We encourage it because it's pleasant to have company.
- George Bernard Shaw
It didn't matter how big our house was; it mattered that there was love in it.
- Peter Buffett
Fame means when your computer modem is broken, the repair guy comes out to your house a little faster.
- Sandra Bullock
We turn off the TV, video games and computer - except for homework - during the week. The TV's reserved for Friday night, Saturday and Sunday just because that's the time to do homework, and it makes it that much less chaotic in our house.
- Candace Cameron Bure
You may think you find peace in Christ when you have no outward troubles, but is Christ your peace when the Assyrian comes into the land, when the enemy comes?...Jesus Christ would be peace to the soul when the enemy comes into the city, and into your houses.
- Jeremiah Burroughs
Going to another country you're not in your house, you're with people you've never met before, and I think it's definitely a good growing experience.
- Amanda Bynes
In the middle of the night I am awakened by a sound. I sit up abruptly in bed. I hear it again. It's music. Wait, it sounds like the ice cream man, in our house. Is this some kind of twisted nightmare? The flipping ice cream man, breaking in to chop us all up in our beds to the tune of 'Zippity Do Dah'?... My heart slows. I remember. There is no psycho ice cream man here. It is just our new musical soap dispenser..
- Deb Caletti
Your house, being the place in which you read, can tell us the position books occupy in your life, if they are a defense you set up to keep the outside world at a distance, if they area dream into which you sink as if into a drug, or bridges you cast toward the outside, toward the world that interests you so much that you want to multiply and extend its dimensions through books.
- Italo Calvino
The more enlightened our houses are, the more their walls ooze ghosts.
- Italo Calvino
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house.
- George Carlin
Earlier in my life I thought the things that mattered were the things that you could see, like your car, your house, your wealth, your property, your office. But as I've grown older I've become convinced that the things that matter most are the things that you can't see -- the love you share with others, your inner purpose, your comfort with who you are.
- Jimmy Carter
In our house we repeated the pattern of thousands of other homes. There were a few books and a lot of music. Our food and our furniture were no different from our neighbors'.
- Emanuel Celler
it's not what you get out of life that counts. Break your mirrors! In our society that is so self-absorbed, begin to look less at yourself and more at each other. you'll get more satisfaction from having improved your neighborhood, your town, your state, your country, and your fellow human beings than you'll ever get from your muscles, your figure, your automobile, your house, or your credit rating
- Arnold Schwarzenegger
If you burn your neighbors house down, it doesn't make your house look any better.
- Lou Holtz
If you're in the White House, it's your house, and you can invite whatever friend you want.
- Chevy Chase
Fear tastes like a rusty knife and do not let her into your house.
- John Cheever
I will always have a career. I believe in working. I don't believe that taking care of your house and children is enough for a woman. You don't feel complete.
- Joan Chen
Our house was always full of grandparents and aunts and uncles and cousins.
- Bryan Clay
I had a very wise mother. She always kept books that were my grade level in our house.
- Beverly Cleary
When I was growing up, in our house nudity was defined as the period of time between the shower and your towel.
- Amy Cohen
It wasn't enough to pass him as we were heading to your house or cutting over to the library. Soon you had to have sightings in the halls too. Then sightings turned to spying, and spying to stalking. You could tell me how many pairs of jeans he owned before you officially knew his name.
- David Levithan
We have a maxim in the House of Commons, and written on the walls of our houses, that old ways are the safest and surest ways.
- Edward Coke
Walter Plinge said: "You know she asked me a very silly question Mrs Ogg! It was a silly question any fool knows the answer!"
"Oh, yes," said Nanny. "About houses on fire, I expect..."
"Yes! What would I take out of our house if it was on fire!"
"I expect you were a good boy and said you'd take your mum," said Nanny.
"No! My mum would take herself!"
"What would you take out then, Walter?" Nanny said.
"The fire!
- Terry Pratchett
This is not what it is like to be you,
I realized as a few of your magnificent clouds
flew over the rooftop.
It is just me thinking about being you.
And before I headed back down the hill,
I walked in a circle around your house,
making an invisible line
which you would have to cross before dark.
- Billy Collins
Do not trouble about those who practice philosophy, whether they are good or bad; but examine the thing itself well and carefully. And if philosophy appears a bad thing to you, turn every man from it, not only your sons; but if it appears to you such as I think it to be, take courage, pursue it, and practice it, as the saying is, 'both you and your house.
- Socrates
Our houses are such unwieldy property that we are often imprisoned rather than housed by them.
- Henry David Thoreau
While civilization has been improving our houses, it has not equally improved the men who are to inhabit them. It has created palaces, but it was not so easy to create noblemen and kings.
- Henry David Thoreau
If your house has been on the market for more than four months, take it off the market and re-list it in two months as 'new.'
- Barbara Corcoran
A whopping 89 percent of buyers start their home search online. How your house looks online is the modern equivalent of 'curb appeal.' Rent a wide-angle lens and good lighting, get rid of your clutter and post at least eight great photos to win the beauty contest.
- Barbara Corcoran
Love is a fire. But whether it is going to warm your hearth or burn down your house, you can never tell.
- Joan Crawford
Why are you offering me ten thousand dollars a month for babysitting? You didn't pay the nannies that. It's ridiculous. For ten thousand a month, you should not only get child care, you should get your house cleaned, your laundry done, your tires rotated, and if I were you, I'd insist on nightly blow jobs. Did you think I wouldn't notice that you're still trying to keep your thumb on me?
- Jennifer Crusie
We make our house a home, but the sooner the mortgage is paid off, the sooner it truly turns into our own home.
- Celso Cukierkorn
God sent the Egyptians ten plagues that became increasingly harder, one after the other, starting with blood, and ending with the death of the first born. Similarly, debt sometimes starts with charging just a couple of extra dollars to our credit cards when we want something we can't afford to pay cash for. Before long, it might turn into a second mortgage on our house. Debt can kill our future and take our house with it.
- Celso Cukierkorn
Peter glances out at the falling snow. Oh, little man. You have brought down your house not through passion but by neglect. You who dared to think of yourself as dangerous. You are guilty not of the epic transgressions but the tiny crimes. You have failed in the most base and human of ways - you have not imagined the lives of others.
- Michael Cunningham
The Bristol Channel was always my guide, and I was always able to draw an imaginary line from my bed to our house over in Wales. It was a great comfort.
- Roald Dahl
Also, I was coming up on my five year anniversary of owning the house, and if there's anything I've learned in five years, it's this: if a piece of your house falls off and you don't know what to do with it, throwing it in the trash and forgetting about it is a perfectly viable option.
- Meghan Daum
I think even when homeowners love their room, it's still a shock, because you left your house, went to sleep, came home and your room was dramatically and drastically different.
- Paige Davis
For I cannot think that GOD Almighty ever made them [women] so delicate, so glorious creatures; and furnished them with such charms, so agreeable and so delightful to mankind; with souls capable of the same accomplishments with men: and all, to be only Stewards of our Houses, Cooks, and Slaves.
- Daniel Defoe
People are constantly asking Portia and me if we are going to have children. We thought about it. We love to be around children after they've been fed and bathed. But we ultimately decided that we don't want children of our own. There is far too much glass in our house.
- Ellen Degeneres
Are you currently at your house?' he asked.
'Um, no,' I said.
'That was a trick question. I knew the answer, because I am currently at your house.
- John Green
One open, one closed. It was no wonder that the first image that came to mind when I thought of either of my sisters was a door. With Kirsten, it was the front one to our house, through which she was always coming in or out, usually in mid-sentence, a gaggle of friends trailing behind her. Whitney's was the one to her bedroom, which she preferred to keep shut between her and the rest of us, always.
- Sarah Dessen
No one comes into our house and pushes us around.
- Dan Devine
When I walk down the boardwalk,people stop me and say, 'Oh, your house is the one that glows.'
- Mary Matalin
Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing up is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing.
- Phyllis Diller
Together in our house, in the firelight, we are the world made small.
- Jennifer Donnelly
She smells of her cooking and the perfume Eau d'Hadrien. My mother wore it, too. She used to cook, like Lili. Our house smelled of garlic and thyme instead of sadness.
- Jennifer Donnelly
The rain comes down harder, darkness falls. We don't care. Together in our house, in the firelight, we are the world made small.
- Jennifer Donnelly
I must apologize for calling so late," said he, "and I must further beg you to be so unconventional as to allow me to leave your house presently by scrambling over your back garden wall.
- Arthur Conan Doyle
Even though the sewer pipelines reach far into our houses with their tentacles, they are carefully hidden from view and we are happily ignorant of the invisible Venice of shit underlying our bathrooms, bedrooms, dance halls, and parliaments.
- Milan Kundera
I'm living out a childhood fantasy. Our house is in a historic district of a small town that I used to read about in storybooks.
- Patty Duke
We are like tenant farmers chopping down the fence around our house for fuel when we should be using Nature's inexhaustible sources of energy--sun, wind and tide. I'd put my money on the sun and solar energy. What a source of power! I hope we don't have to wait until oil and coal run out before we tackle that.
- Thomas A Edison
Suddenly I'm scared.
That the solar panels were a time machine.
That I'm a grown-up woman coming back to this place after many years.
That my parents are gone, and our house isn't ours anymore.
It's a broken down ruin with no one in it.
Living here all together was so sweet.
Even when we fought.
It felt like it would never end.
I'll always miss it.
- Jennifer Egan
We kiss all the time." I clear my throat, then add, "We just...do it in private."
"A smug expression crosses his face. "I don't buy it for a second, 'cause if you were my girlfriend and a stud like me was livin' in your house, I'd kiss you in front of the guy every chance I got as a reminder."
"A reminder of w-w-what?"
"That you were mine.
- Simone Elkeles
The way you keep your house, the way you organize your time, the care you take in your personal appearance, the things you spend your money on, all speak loudly about what you believe. The beauty of thy peace shines forth in an ordered life. A disordered life speaks loudly of disorder in the soul.
- Elisabeth Elliot
I became almost immediately fascinated by the possibilities of trying out all conceivable reactions with them, some leading to explosions, others to unbearable poisoning of the air in our house, frightening my parents.
- Richard Ernst
I was playing violin for a long time, about 6 years. It takes a while. You need very patient people in your house when you have a violin.
- Kevin Eubanks
After all the screaming in our house, there reigned, that winter on Middlesex, only silence. A silence so profound that, like the left foot of the President's secretary, it erased portions of the official record.
- Jeffrey Eugenides
Her father was about to have a heart attack, and my memories of her are now tinged with a blue wash of misfortune that hadn't quite befallen her at the time. She was standing bare-legged in the jungly weeds that grew up between our houses. Her skin was already beginning to react to the grass cuttings stuck to the ball, whose sogginess was suddenly explained by the overweight Labrador who now limped into view.
- Jeffrey Eugenides
My childhood was limited to mostly gospel music. We didn't have, like, a lot of records in our house, you know. It was like my grandparents who raised me. They were pretty old-fashioned in their religious ways, so it was like church, church, church, school, school, school.
- Faith Evans
I gave away two dogs years ago because I felt guilty at not being able to give them the time and attention they deserved. I now regularly feed an army of squirrels and wild birds around our house.
- Mike Farrell
The Universe is very, very big.
It also loves a paradox. For example, it has some extremely strict rules.
Rule number one: Nothing lasts forever.
Not you or your family or your house or your planet or the sun. It is an absolute rule. Therefore when someone says that their love will never die, it means that their love is not real, for everything that is real dies.
Rule number two: Everything lasts forever.
- Craig Ferguson
At CBS, I'm in your house. I'm mindful of that. When I do standup, you're in my home and I can say what I want to.
- Craig Ferguson
Our house is old, and noisy, and full. when we moved into it we had two children and about five thousand books; I expect that when we finally overflow and move out again we will have perhaps twenty children and easily half a million books; we also own assorted beds and tables and chairs and rocking horses and lamps and doll dresses and ship models and paint brushes and literally thousands of socks.
- Shirley Jackson
There had not been this many words sounded in our house for a long time, and it was going to take a while to clean them out.
- Shirley Jackson
Our house contains all that's high-end and high-tech and shiny clean. And three people who would rather be somewhere else.
- Huntley Fitzpatrick
I can't help but notice that...well, you're in my life...at our house, with my family, in my world. But am I really in yours?...
- Huntley Fitzpatrick
I set our house on fire when I was a little child playing with lighters. Boy, did I burn the place down!
- Flavor Flav
...We pray together, we are afraid together, and then we go to sleep. Even if Satan came into the house, no one would interfere. After all, what is there to fear in this house? There is always one with us who is the strongest. Satan may visit our house, but the good Lord lives here.
- Victor Hugo
My father was never anti-anything in our house.
- Errol Flynn
Our house was like sleeping beauties palace after the enchanted spell is cast
- Karen Foxlee
Nudge threw her arms around my neck. 'I love you Max! I love all of us too!'
Yeah, me too,' Said the Gasman. 'I don't care if we have our house, or a cliff ledge, or a cardboard box. Home is wherever we all are, together.
- James Patterson
I don't care if we have our house, or a cliff ledge, or a cardboard box. Home is wherever we all are, together,
- James Patterson
If you break your neck, if you have nothing to eat, if your house is on fire, then you got a problem. Everything else is inconvenience.
- Robert Fulghum
When I was a kid, we actually lived in a house that had been divided in two at one point, which meant that one room in our house opened up onto a brick wall. And I was convinced all I had to do was just open it the right way and it wouldn't be a brick wall. So I'd sidle over to the door and I'd pull it open.
- Neil Gaiman
Your house is your larger body.
- Kahlil Gibran
Your house shall be not an anchor but a mast.
- Kahlil Gibran
Would that I could gather your houses into my hand, and like a sower scatter them in forest and meadow.
- Kahlil Gibran
Consider a clock thermostat, and set it so that you're not using energy when you don't need it, when you're out of your house.
- Al Gore
If you can laugh, you can get through it. In our house, we laugh a lot.
- Jami Gertz
To keep it simple you run your gym like you run your house. Keep it clean and in good running order. No jerks allowed, members pay on time and if they give you any crap, throw them out. There's peace where there's order.
- Joe Gold
When every piece of furniture and your underwear are taken by the bank, when you lose your house in Florida, in New York, in Amsterdam and L.A., when your wife is dying and your son abandons you, you don't feel very good.
- Al Goldstein
Modern Romans insisted that there was only one god, a notion that struck Alobar as comically simplistic. Worse, this Semitic deity was reputed to be jealous (what was there to be jealous of if there were no other gods?), vindictive, and altogether foul-tempered. If you didn't serve the nasty fellow, the Romans would burn your house down. If you did serve him, you were called a Christian and got to burn other people's houses down.
- Tom Robbins
Command that no one be received, or kept to be of your household indoors or without, if one has not reasonable belief of them that they are faithful, discreet, and painstaking in the office for which they are received, and withal honest and of good manners.
- Robert Grosseteste
Command that in no way there be in your household any who make strife, discord or divisions in the hostel, but all shall be of one accord, of one will as of one heart and one soul.
- Robert Grosseteste
And in doing this I advise you to send to the best manors of your lands those of your household in whom you place most confidence to be present in August at the leading of the corn, and to guard it as aforesaid.
- Robert Grosseteste
And be careful of this, that each day at your meals you have two overseers over your household when you sit at meals, and of this be sure, that you shall be very much feared and reverenced.
- Robert Grosseteste
Exhort all your household often that all those who serve you shall know to serve God and you, faithfully and painstakingly, and for the will of God to prefer in all things to do your will and pleasure in all things that are not against God.
- Robert Grosseteste
Command those that govern your house before all you household that they keep careful watch that all your household, within and without, be faithful, painstaking, chaste, clean, honest and profitable.
- Robert Grosseteste
A lot of married people certainly have wonderful relationships with their dogs, but when you're single and your dog is the only other living thing in your house, it's a really special relationship which I wanted CATHY to have.
- Cathy Guisewite
She dismounted, grabbed Enna's hand so tightly that she drew blood with her fingernails, walked straight into the nearest cottage, and plopped down on a bed. Enna nodded to the startled cottage dwellers.
It's the queen, you see," said Enna. "She's going to have a baby in your house. You don't mind?
- Shannon Hale
During the last 2,500 years in Buddhist monasteries, a system of seven practices of reconciliation has evolved. Although these techniques were formulated to settle disputes within the circle of monks, i think they might also be of use in our households and in our society.
The first practice is Face-to-Face-Sitting.
- Nhat Hanh
...and challenging your neighborhood to a round of competitive outdoor decorating. Because you're not really celebrating the birth of Jesus unless your house can be spotted by passing aircraft.
- Molly Harper
We could go back to your house. I can stay with you always. We can know each others bodies in every way, night after night. I could love you. I could work, you would not be poor. I would help you.
- Charlaine Harris
The note, which had been written on one of the pads I kept around for grocery lists, said, "My lover, I came in too close to dawn to wake you, though I was tempted. Your house is full of strange men. A fairy upstairs and a little child downstairs- but as long as there's not one in my lady's chamber, I can stand it".
- Charlaine Harris
We could go back," he said. In the dome light of the car, his face looked hard as stone. "We could go back to your house. I can stay with you always. We can know each other's bodies in every way, night after night. I could love you." His nostrils flared, and he looked suddenly proud. "I could work. You would not be poor. I would help you."
"Sounds like a marriage," I said, trying to lighten the atmosphere. But my voice was too shaky.
"Yes," he said.
- Charlaine Harris
And that's your fantasy? That I come into your house naked and have sex with you?"
"After that, you tell me that you have sent Eric on his way, that you want to be mine forever, and that to share my life you will permit me to make you a vampire like me."
The silence now was thick, and the fun had drained out of the fantasy.
Then Bill added, "You know what I'd say when you told me this? I'd tell you I would never do such a thing. Because I love you.
- Charlaine Harris
I am black," she said, and a shudder rippled through me. "I am foul with a
thousand years of demon curses. Don't cross me or I will bring you and your house down. Rachel is the only clean thing I have, and you won't sully her to
further your high ideas.
- Kim Harrison
The trajectory started when I was on the roof of our house looking out at a swamp when I was 19. I had written for several years, starting at about 15, but that day on the roof I took my vows and acknowledged my calling.
- Jim Harrison
Bring a wife home to your house when you are of the right age, not far short of 30 years, nor much above; this is the right time for marriage.
- Hesiod
I burned down our house, and that put a strain on our family.
- Reese Hoffa
Jill and I have known each other our whole lives. One house separates our houses but we act as if it doesn't exist. We met before we were born and we'll probably still know each other after we die. At least, that's the way we're planning it.
- Alice Hoffman
I certainly don't want a child of mine to be famous, or anyone I was very close to who isn't yet... It's the worst thing to be trapped in your house not be able to leave.
- Elizabeth Hurley
Ares sighed "What are the three words said most often in our house?"
"Not tonight, Ares?" Than offered.
"Funny," Ares growled. "Cara never says that.
- Larissa Ione
People know about the Klan and the overt racism, but the killing of one's soul little by little, day after day, is a lot worse than someone coming in your house and lynching you.
- Samuel L Jackson
Once you're in charge of your job, your house, your children, getting the food on the table, doing all of this, all of the time, it'd be nice for someone else to be in charge for a bit maybe.
- E L James
I'm of the mind that life is a risk, every time you leave your house it's a risk, and I see no reason to go through life with my hands tied behind my back for any reason. I'd be foolish to let something stop me from doing what I love to do.
- Thomas Jane
You can control yourself if you really want to. I'll tell you how I know you can control yourself. If you were in a full fledged emotional temper tantrum in your house and I knocked on your front door..... Come on! Let me tell you what, you would get control of yourself, and it would only take a few seconds.
- Joyce Meyer
I raised frogs every spring in our house from tadpoles and by end of summer our house was overrun with frogs.
- William Joyce
If you are sad, ask yourself why you are sad. Then pick up the phone and call someone and tell him the answer to the question. If you don't know anyone, call the operator and tell him. Most people don't know that the operator has to listen, it is a law. Also, the postman is not allowed to go inside your house, but you can talk to him on public property for up to four minutes or until he wants to go, whichever comes first.
- Miranda July
A brick could be used to decorate a house. And not just one brick, thousands could be stacked and affixed together and really make your house not only feel like a home, but less drafty too.
- Jarod Kintz
A brick could be used for good, or for evil. The Brick of Creation, or the Brick of Destruction. While you're deep in thought, contemplating which one you'd rather use, I'll be over there looting your house.
- Jarod Kintz
I have good news and I have bad news. The good news is that your house hasn't burned down, you don't have cancer, and your daughter hasn't been raped or murdered. The bad news is that I ran over your dog. And your son. And his wife. But not before I ran out of gas to achieve all of that.
- Jarod Kintz
A brick is a good object to hide a house key under. No burglar will be able to get to your key, especially if you hide it under the first brick the mason's lay when constructing your house.
- Jarod Kintz
A brick could be used to keep thieves away from your house. Just set a brick outside your front door, and you won't need any additional security. Years will go by and nobody will steal the brick. And because the brick won't get stolen, it's proof that it deterred thieves from approaching your property.
- Jarod Kintz
Prayer is the mortar that holds our house together.
- Mother Teresa
Do we know our poor people? Do we know the poor in our house, in our family? Perhaps they are not hungry for a piece of bread. Perhaps our children, husband, wife, are not hungry, or naked, or dispossessed, but are you sure there is no one there who feels unwanted, deprived of affection?
- Mother Teresa
If your house is burning, wouldn't you try and put out the fire?
- Imran Khan
What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and work flow.
- Martin Luther
Getting your house in order and reducing the confusion gives you more control over your life. Personal organization some how releases or frees you to operate more effectively.
- Larry King
Our house is like an empty cigarette packet, lying around reminding you what's not in it.
- Barbara Kingsolver
Almost any government activity can also be seen as taking property "without just compensation." The basic model of an unconstitutional "taking" would be if the government threw you out of your house.
- Michael Kinsley
They can't take your house and give it to the mayor's mistress, even if they pay you for it. But they can, apparently, take your house and tear it down to make room for a development of trendy shops and restaurants, a hotel and so on.
- Michael Kinsley
... the city around us seemed colder than ever again, and I realised that even if it really had sensed something going on, it certainly didn't care. It moved forward again. I could feel it. I could almost hear it laugh and taste it. Close. Watching. Mocking. And it was cold, so cold, as it watched my sister bleeding at the back of our house.
- Markus Zusak
Joseph, you're out of clean towels." Lucia poked her head into the living room, the rest of her hidden behind the wall. Her red hair dripped water onto my wooden floors.
"She's in the buff." Jenna guffawed. Gabriella rolled her eyes, beaming.
I rose. "Go back to the bathroom. I'll bring you a towel," I ordered Lucia. She disappeared down the hall.
"You have naked angels running around your house," Jenna continued through her laughter. Gabby laughed louder.
- Laura Kreitzer
We live in a bizarre world - there are cameras in our house!
- Nick Lachey
A friend of mine described it this way: When they were born it was like a meteor landed in our house and blew everything apart. We had to just put all the pieces back.
- Christine Lahti
There's some things you just have to live with. Like twelve cars camping outside your house, and when you wake up in the morning, they're going to follow you wherever you go. It helps that I live in Valencia. It eliminates some. But they're still here.
- Taylor Lautner
Affection would not be affection if it was loudly and frequently expressed; to produce it in public is like getting your household furniture out for a move. It did very well in its place, but it looks shabby or tawdry or grotesque in the sunshine.
- C S Lewis
Pity? You don't want to be pitied because you're a cripple in a wheelchair? Stay in your house!
- Jerry Lewis
You could afford your house without the government if it weren't for the government.
- Rush Limbaugh
Well, well, so you aren't going to be a maidservant this time?" said Pippi, stroking his back. "Oh, that was a lie, that's true," she continued. "But still, if it's true, how can it be a lie?" she argued. "You wait and see, it's going to turn out he was a maidservant in Arabie after all, and if that's the case, I know who's making the meatballs at our house hereafter!
- Astrid Lindgren
2006 is all about getting your house in order and I mean that metaphorically.
- Latoya London
It was at one of the parties at our house that The Rat Pack got started.
- Lorna Luft
Words can sometimes be used to confuse, but it's up to the practitioners of the study of language to apply them for good and not for evil. It is just like fire; fire can heat your house or burn it down.
- Frank Luntz
Food was a constant topic of conversation in our household.
- Paul Lynde
...I am still librarian in your house, for I never was dismissed, and never gave up the office. Now I am librarian here as well.'
'But you have just told me you were sexton here!'
'So I am. It is much the same profession. Except you are a true sexton, books are but dead bodies to you, and a library nothing but a catacomb!
- George Macdonald
You burned the city of London in our houses and we felt the flames.
- Archibald Macleish
Sometimes when you're with somebody, and all their stuff is at your house, it's so hard to break up with them.
- Bam Margera
My dad was a musician, it was just what he did, like another guy's dad drives a meat truck. Our house was normal. We weren't taken with the fact our dad was a musician.
- Branford Marsalis
We always had our own vegetables growing up and now I'm doing it with my kids at our house in the country.
- Stella Mccartney
Stock your mind. It is your house of treasure and no one in the world can interfere with it.
- Frank Mccourt
You have to study and learn so that you can make up your own mind. Stock your mind, stock your mind. It is your house of treasure and no one in the world can interfere with it. If you won the Irish Sweepstakes and bought a house that needed furniture would you fill it with bits and pieces of rubbish? Your mind is your house and if you fill it with rubbish from the cinemas, it will rot in your head. You might be poor, your shoes might be broken, but your mind is a palace.
- Frank Mccourt
I mean, there's a little bit that gets out, but for the most part, the thing that makes us work, and makes our family successful, and our life successful, is when we walk home and we walk into our doors of our house, all that other stuff is left outside. It's not a factor.
- Tim Mcgraw
If you want a golden rule that will fit everything, this is it: Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.
- William Morris
Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.
- William Morris
He turned to me, and do you know what he said to me ? He said in a deadly serious tone, 'Momma, am I dead?' And I said 'no honey, you're not dead', and he shook his head, looking all confused about something. Then he pointed to you dancing and said, 'if I'm not dead, then why is there an Angel in our house.'
- Kirsty Moseley
He said in a deadly serious tone, 'Momma, am I dead?' And I said 'no honey, you're not dead', and he shook his head, looking all confused about something. Then he pointed to you dancing and said, 'if I'm not dead, then why is there an Angel in our house?
- Kirsty Moseley
Not far from our house, and opposite the old church with the golden cross, stood a large building, even larger than the church, and having many towers.
- Max Muller
Sitting down to eat in our house is about sharing, you know, talking about the day you've had, be it in school or work or whatever, so that's very important to us.
- Liam Neeson
Ethan extended his hand. "Mr. Merit. Thank you for your help." My grandfather shook his hand, but he also shook his head. "Thank your Sentinel. She's a fine representative of your House." Ethan looked at me, pride-and love?-in his eyes. "We're in agreement there.
- Chloe Neill
Your house sounds like a train at midday,
the wasps buzz, the saucepans sing,
the waterfall enumerates the deeds of the dew..
- Pablo Neruda
Zac: Now I have a key to your house. I could sneak in tonight and disturb your beauty sleep.
Avery: Eight hours of sleep is crucial to a body that functions at peak efficiency
Zac: A body that functions at peak efficiency? Are you sure you're really sixteen? You sound like Einstein.
Avery: What would you prefer I say? 'I, like, totally need tons of sleep or else I'm, like, a complete zombie
- Shana Norris
[Praying] demands that you take to the road again and again, leaving your house and looking forward to a new land for yourself and your [fellow human]. This is why praying demands poverty, that is, the readiness to live a life in which you have nothing to lose so that you always begin afresh.
- Henri Nouwen
I was thinking of murder, mutilation and dessert like Ignacia Sandoval's instructions for delectable empanadas made of minced mother-in-law's tongue (said to induce peace and harmony in your household), or the gonads of your cheating husband (a savory dish to add spice to your lovemaking).
- Sandra Ramos O Briant
In our household, which was essentially under an evil spell, my father 'Chaplin' was all the magic. A great man draws magic into himself, like reverse lightning. There's nothing to spare for anyone else.
- Joyce Carol Oates
Our house is made of glass... and our lives are made of glass; and there is nothing we can do to protect ourselves.
- Joyce Carol Oates
I hate both of my parents right now: for sitting quietly in our house, while out in the darkness my heart was beating away all of the seconds of my life, ticking them off one by one until my time was up; for letting the thread between us stretch so far and so thin that the moment it was severed for good they didn't even feel it.
- Lauren Oliver
- Mark Twain
To us, our house was not unsentient matter -- it had a heart, and a soul, and eyes to see us with; and approvals and solicitudes and deep sympathies; it was of us, and we were in its confidence, and lived in its grace and in the peace of its benediction.
- Mark Twain
It just gets frustrating playing the girlfriend, It's just this awful feeling, sitting in your house, waiting for a script to come. I like to be more proactive.
- Joey Lauren Adams
If prayers can move mountains, certainly it can drive evil spirits away from your house. Let Professional Prayer Warriors help you.
- Ann Marie Aguilar
Everything - our houses, our clothes, our hairstyles - is meant to help us forget ourselves and to protect us from vanity, greed and envy, which are just forms of selfishness. If we have little, and want for little, and we are all equal, we envy no one.
- Veronica Roth
I am going to sit here in the river. If you go home to sleep, I will sleep in front of your house. And if you go away, I will follow you--until you tell me to go away. Then I'll leave. But I have to love you for the rest of my life.
- Paulo Coelho
Normal, in our house, is like a blanket too short for a bed--sometimes it covers you just fine, and other times it leaves you cold and shaking; and worst of all, you never know which of the two it's going to be.
- Jodi Picoult
Don't ever leave me again. Love only me, for the rest of our lives. Move into our house, make love to me every night, and make babies with me, Elli. Please, because being with you made me a better man, and I could never love anyone the way I love you. So please, marry me.
- Toni Aleo
Hey Audrey,I am watching you de-clutter your house,do you need help?
- Toni Aleo
Jace, on the other hand, looked like the sort of boy who'd come over to your house and burn it down for kicks.
- Cassandra Clare
Even in half demon hunter clothes, Clary thought, he looked like the kind of boy who'd come over your house to pick you up for a date and be polite to your parents and nice to your pets.
Jace on the other hand, looked like the kind of boy who'd come over your house and burn it down just for kicks.
- Cassandra Clare
I've leased the apartment; my partner is going to come out here. But we're keeping our house in Chicago because real estate is a really good investment and also because it is just crammed with full of stuff!
- Ted Allen
If I let her in I'm doomed. It's like inviting a vampire into your house. Once you've invite them in, that's it, you're good as dead!
- Janet Evanovich
In fact, it was the women in our house who were in the saddle. If men are the gods, women are not only the presidents but all the ministers of the government.
- Pedro Almodovar
I realized my family was funny, because nobody ever wanted to leave our house.
- Anthony Anderson
Drink it," I told her. "It's good for what ails you. Caffeine and sugar. I don't drink it, so I ran over to your house and stole the expensive stuff in your freezer. It shouldn't be that bad. Samuel told me to make it strong and pour sugar into it. It should taste sort of like bitter syrup."
She gave me a smile smile, then a bigger one, and plugged her nose before she drank it down in one gulp. "Next time," she said in a hoarse voice, "I make the coffee.
- Patricia Briggs
There was a war going on in our house. A silent war that sounded no guns, and the bodies that fell were only wishes that died and the bullets were only words and the blood that spilled was always called pride.
- Virginia C Andrews
It is our duty still to endeavor to avoid war; but if it shall actually take place, no matter by whom brought on, we must defend ourselves. If our house be on fire, without inquiring whether it was fired from within or without, we must try to extinguish it.
- Thomas Jefferson
Hey, honey," I greeted. "What's up?"
"His filthy, rusted, beat up, in desperate need of a trade up truck is still in front of your house, that's what's up," was Martha's greeting
- Kristen Ashley
As regards your government of yourself and your household, Sancho, my first piece of advice is to be clean and to cut your fingernails, and not to let them grow long, as some people do, moved by ignorance to believe that long nails make their hand look beautiful, as if those appendages, those excrescences that they leave uncut have any right to be called fingernails at all, because they are more like talons of a kestrel: a monstrous and filthy abuse.
- Miguel De Cervantes Saavedra
This is the best night of my life," Raffy says, crying.
"Raffy, half our House has burnt down," I say wearily. "We don't have a kitchen."
"Why do you always have to be so pessimistic?" she asks. "We can double up in our rooms and have a barbecue every night like the Cadets."
Silently I vow to keep Raffy around for the rest of my life.
- Melina Marchetta
Well, I don't like your clothes. You look perfectly ridiculous in them. Why on earth don't you go up and change? It's perfectly childish to be in mourning for a man who is actually staying a whole week with you in your house as a guest. I call it grotesque.
- Oscar Wilde
Our house was bombed, and the roof fell in. We were sitting under the stairs of the basement, and we were quite safe, but it brought home the realization. In two nights 400 people were killed in small town.
- Roger Bannister
I don't like this, Artemis. I'm not a dog to be chained outside your house because you're afraid I'll piss on your rug. (Acheron)
- Sherrilyn Kenyon
I'm here to clean your house and I won't be merciful while doing it. Fuck with me and you'll be nothing more than your mama's bad memory. (Styxx as Acheron)
- Sherrilyn Kenyon
I'm at your house?" Kody asked.
"You don't have to sound so offended. I do have people clean it, you know?"
"Sorry." She sighed wearily. "You have no idea how confusing it is to wake up in a strange place with no idea how you got there."
Caleb laughed. "Sure I do. Happens to me frequently."
She rolled her eyes at his frightening lifestyle. "Yes, but I woke up in this bed alone.
- Sherrilyn Kenyon
So, Magellan, where are we going? (Danger)
Away. I'm open to any location, so long as it doesn't involve returning to your house while Wart-Head is there.
- Sherrilyn Kenyon
Dear Blubbo, How is it going? It is fine here. My sisters are fine. Mom is usual. Everything is regular in life except I am still seeing the burning skull heads. Yesterday Mom took me to Sears for school clothes. I told my sisters I could see the people's head bones. They said DO NOT tell Mom. A guy moved a trailer onto the empty lot by our house. His skull is spectacular, many colors glowing.
- Lynda Barry
Don't own so much clutter that you will be relieved to see your house catch fire.
- Wendell Berry
Architect. One who drafts a plan of your house, and plans a draft of your money.
- Ambrose Bierce
If you really think there's a Santa, why don't you sit on the front steps all night in the freezing cold and see if he climbs down any chimneys tonight. Good luck. And since we're a family that isn't lucky enough to have a chimney, how would Santa get into our house? Does he bring a locksmith with him? And it probably would have to be a Jewish locksmith, because a Christian locksmith is going to want to be home with his family. And how many Jewish locksmiths are there? None.
- Lewis Black
Someone could cut through the mess in our house and look at it like one might look at rings on a tree or layers of sediment. They'd find the black-and-white hairs of a dog we had when I was six, the acid-washed jeans my mother once wore, the seven blood-soaked pillowcases from the time I skinned my knee. All our family secrets rest in endless piles.
- Holly Black
I lived in Georgetown in the late '70s about four houses down from the steps.
- William Peter Blatty
A plague on both your houses.
- William Shakespeare
Poor naked wretches, whereso'er you are,
That bide the pelting of this pitiless storm,
How shall your houseless heads and unfed sides,
Your loop'd and window'd raggedness, defend you
From seasons such as these? O, I have ta'en
Too little care of this! Take physic, pomp;
Expose thyself to feel what wretches feel,
That thou mayst shake the superflux to them,
And show the heavens more just.
- William Shakespeare
I am thankful the most important key in history was invented. It's not the key to your house, your car, your boat, your safety deposit box, your bike lock or your private community. It's the key to order, sanity, and peace of mind. The key is 'Delete.'
- Elayne Boosler
Children are like crazy, drunken small people in your house.
- Julie Bowen
You know, the bigger you get and the more success you have, the more people you can fill your house with to tell you how great you are. You can do that.
- Lara Flynn Boyle
No, books. She would have maybe twenty going at a time, lying all over our house--on the kitchen table, by her bed, the bathroom, our car, her bags, a little stack at the edge of each stair. And she'd use anything she could find for a bookmark. My missing sock, an apple core, her reading glasses, another book, a fork.
- Kami Garcia
My mother was determined to make us independent. When I was four years old, she stopped the car a few miles from our house and made me find my own way home across the fields. I got hopelessly lost.
- Richard Branson
We aren't in high school. We aren't really in our families and we aren't in our houses. Those are the places we grew up and the times we spent together, but they aren't us. If think they are, then we're lost, because times end and places are lost. We aren't any place or any time... We are everywhere.
- Ann Brashares
Your success as a family... our success as a nation... depends not on what happens inside the White House, but on what happens inside your house.
- Barbara Bush
If your Soviet neighbor is trying to set fire to your house, you can't be worrying about the Arab down the block. If suddenly it's the Arab in your backyard , you can't be worrying about the People's Republic of China and if one day the ChiComs show up at your front door with an eviction notice in one hand and a Molotov cocktail in the other, then the last thing you're going do is look over his shoulder for a walking corpse.
- Max Brooks
Also, we will make promise. So long as The Blood endures,
I shall know that your good is mine: ye shall feel that my strength is yours:
In the day of Armageddon, at the last great fight of all,
That Our House stand together and the pillars do not fall.
- Rudyard Kipling
Oh that. Men do fall in love with me. They seem to think me a creature with volcanic passions; I'm sure I don't know why. All the volcanic women I know are plain little creatures with sandy hair. I don't consider human volcanoes respectable. And I'm so tired of the subject. Our house is always full of women in love with my husband and men in love with me. We encourage it because it's pleasant to have company.
- George Bernard Shaw
It didn't matter how big our house was; it mattered that there was love in it.
- Peter Buffett
Fame means when your computer modem is broken, the repair guy comes out to your house a little faster.
- Sandra Bullock
We turn off the TV, video games and computer - except for homework - during the week. The TV's reserved for Friday night, Saturday and Sunday just because that's the time to do homework, and it makes it that much less chaotic in our house.
- Candace Cameron Bure
You may think you find peace in Christ when you have no outward troubles, but is Christ your peace when the Assyrian comes into the land, when the enemy comes?...Jesus Christ would be peace to the soul when the enemy comes into the city, and into your houses.
- Jeremiah Burroughs
Going to another country you're not in your house, you're with people you've never met before, and I think it's definitely a good growing experience.
- Amanda Bynes
In the middle of the night I am awakened by a sound. I sit up abruptly in bed. I hear it again. It's music. Wait, it sounds like the ice cream man, in our house. Is this some kind of twisted nightmare? The flipping ice cream man, breaking in to chop us all up in our beds to the tune of 'Zippity Do Dah'?... My heart slows. I remember. There is no psycho ice cream man here. It is just our new musical soap dispenser..
- Deb Caletti
Your house, being the place in which you read, can tell us the position books occupy in your life, if they are a defense you set up to keep the outside world at a distance, if they area dream into which you sink as if into a drug, or bridges you cast toward the outside, toward the world that interests you so much that you want to multiply and extend its dimensions through books.
- Italo Calvino
The more enlightened our houses are, the more their walls ooze ghosts.
- Italo Calvino
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house.
- George Carlin
Earlier in my life I thought the things that mattered were the things that you could see, like your car, your house, your wealth, your property, your office. But as I've grown older I've become convinced that the things that matter most are the things that you can't see -- the love you share with others, your inner purpose, your comfort with who you are.
- Jimmy Carter
In our house we repeated the pattern of thousands of other homes. There were a few books and a lot of music. Our food and our furniture were no different from our neighbors'.
- Emanuel Celler
it's not what you get out of life that counts. Break your mirrors! In our society that is so self-absorbed, begin to look less at yourself and more at each other. you'll get more satisfaction from having improved your neighborhood, your town, your state, your country, and your fellow human beings than you'll ever get from your muscles, your figure, your automobile, your house, or your credit rating
- Arnold Schwarzenegger
If you burn your neighbors house down, it doesn't make your house look any better.
- Lou Holtz
If you're in the White House, it's your house, and you can invite whatever friend you want.
- Chevy Chase
Fear tastes like a rusty knife and do not let her into your house.
- John Cheever
I will always have a career. I believe in working. I don't believe that taking care of your house and children is enough for a woman. You don't feel complete.
- Joan Chen
Our house was always full of grandparents and aunts and uncles and cousins.
- Bryan Clay
I had a very wise mother. She always kept books that were my grade level in our house.
- Beverly Cleary
When I was growing up, in our house nudity was defined as the period of time between the shower and your towel.
- Amy Cohen
It wasn't enough to pass him as we were heading to your house or cutting over to the library. Soon you had to have sightings in the halls too. Then sightings turned to spying, and spying to stalking. You could tell me how many pairs of jeans he owned before you officially knew his name.
- David Levithan
We have a maxim in the House of Commons, and written on the walls of our houses, that old ways are the safest and surest ways.
- Edward Coke
Walter Plinge said: "You know she asked me a very silly question Mrs Ogg! It was a silly question any fool knows the answer!"
"Oh, yes," said Nanny. "About houses on fire, I expect..."
"Yes! What would I take out of our house if it was on fire!"
"I expect you were a good boy and said you'd take your mum," said Nanny.
"No! My mum would take herself!"
"What would you take out then, Walter?" Nanny said.
"The fire!
- Terry Pratchett
This is not what it is like to be you,
I realized as a few of your magnificent clouds
flew over the rooftop.
It is just me thinking about being you.
And before I headed back down the hill,
I walked in a circle around your house,
making an invisible line
which you would have to cross before dark.
- Billy Collins
Do not trouble about those who practice philosophy, whether they are good or bad; but examine the thing itself well and carefully. And if philosophy appears a bad thing to you, turn every man from it, not only your sons; but if it appears to you such as I think it to be, take courage, pursue it, and practice it, as the saying is, 'both you and your house.
- Socrates
Our houses are such unwieldy property that we are often imprisoned rather than housed by them.
- Henry David Thoreau
While civilization has been improving our houses, it has not equally improved the men who are to inhabit them. It has created palaces, but it was not so easy to create noblemen and kings.
- Henry David Thoreau
If your house has been on the market for more than four months, take it off the market and re-list it in two months as 'new.'
- Barbara Corcoran
A whopping 89 percent of buyers start their home search online. How your house looks online is the modern equivalent of 'curb appeal.' Rent a wide-angle lens and good lighting, get rid of your clutter and post at least eight great photos to win the beauty contest.
- Barbara Corcoran
Love is a fire. But whether it is going to warm your hearth or burn down your house, you can never tell.
- Joan Crawford
Why are you offering me ten thousand dollars a month for babysitting? You didn't pay the nannies that. It's ridiculous. For ten thousand a month, you should not only get child care, you should get your house cleaned, your laundry done, your tires rotated, and if I were you, I'd insist on nightly blow jobs. Did you think I wouldn't notice that you're still trying to keep your thumb on me?
- Jennifer Crusie
We make our house a home, but the sooner the mortgage is paid off, the sooner it truly turns into our own home.
- Celso Cukierkorn
God sent the Egyptians ten plagues that became increasingly harder, one after the other, starting with blood, and ending with the death of the first born. Similarly, debt sometimes starts with charging just a couple of extra dollars to our credit cards when we want something we can't afford to pay cash for. Before long, it might turn into a second mortgage on our house. Debt can kill our future and take our house with it.
- Celso Cukierkorn
Peter glances out at the falling snow. Oh, little man. You have brought down your house not through passion but by neglect. You who dared to think of yourself as dangerous. You are guilty not of the epic transgressions but the tiny crimes. You have failed in the most base and human of ways - you have not imagined the lives of others.
- Michael Cunningham
The Bristol Channel was always my guide, and I was always able to draw an imaginary line from my bed to our house over in Wales. It was a great comfort.
- Roald Dahl
Also, I was coming up on my five year anniversary of owning the house, and if there's anything I've learned in five years, it's this: if a piece of your house falls off and you don't know what to do with it, throwing it in the trash and forgetting about it is a perfectly viable option.
- Meghan Daum
I think even when homeowners love their room, it's still a shock, because you left your house, went to sleep, came home and your room was dramatically and drastically different.
- Paige Davis
For I cannot think that GOD Almighty ever made them [women] so delicate, so glorious creatures; and furnished them with such charms, so agreeable and so delightful to mankind; with souls capable of the same accomplishments with men: and all, to be only Stewards of our Houses, Cooks, and Slaves.
- Daniel Defoe
People are constantly asking Portia and me if we are going to have children. We thought about it. We love to be around children after they've been fed and bathed. But we ultimately decided that we don't want children of our own. There is far too much glass in our house.
- Ellen Degeneres
Are you currently at your house?' he asked.
'Um, no,' I said.
'That was a trick question. I knew the answer, because I am currently at your house.
- John Green
One open, one closed. It was no wonder that the first image that came to mind when I thought of either of my sisters was a door. With Kirsten, it was the front one to our house, through which she was always coming in or out, usually in mid-sentence, a gaggle of friends trailing behind her. Whitney's was the one to her bedroom, which she preferred to keep shut between her and the rest of us, always.
- Sarah Dessen
No one comes into our house and pushes us around.
- Dan Devine
When I walk down the boardwalk,people stop me and say, 'Oh, your house is the one that glows.'
- Mary Matalin
Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing up is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing.
- Phyllis Diller
Together in our house, in the firelight, we are the world made small.
- Jennifer Donnelly
She smells of her cooking and the perfume Eau d'Hadrien. My mother wore it, too. She used to cook, like Lili. Our house smelled of garlic and thyme instead of sadness.
- Jennifer Donnelly
The rain comes down harder, darkness falls. We don't care. Together in our house, in the firelight, we are the world made small.
- Jennifer Donnelly
I must apologize for calling so late," said he, "and I must further beg you to be so unconventional as to allow me to leave your house presently by scrambling over your back garden wall.
- Arthur Conan Doyle
Even though the sewer pipelines reach far into our houses with their tentacles, they are carefully hidden from view and we are happily ignorant of the invisible Venice of shit underlying our bathrooms, bedrooms, dance halls, and parliaments.
- Milan Kundera
I'm living out a childhood fantasy. Our house is in a historic district of a small town that I used to read about in storybooks.
- Patty Duke
We are like tenant farmers chopping down the fence around our house for fuel when we should be using Nature's inexhaustible sources of energy--sun, wind and tide. I'd put my money on the sun and solar energy. What a source of power! I hope we don't have to wait until oil and coal run out before we tackle that.
- Thomas A Edison
Suddenly I'm scared.
That the solar panels were a time machine.
That I'm a grown-up woman coming back to this place after many years.
That my parents are gone, and our house isn't ours anymore.
It's a broken down ruin with no one in it.
Living here all together was so sweet.
Even when we fought.
It felt like it would never end.
I'll always miss it.
- Jennifer Egan
We kiss all the time." I clear my throat, then add, "We just...do it in private."
"A smug expression crosses his face. "I don't buy it for a second, 'cause if you were my girlfriend and a stud like me was livin' in your house, I'd kiss you in front of the guy every chance I got as a reminder."
"A reminder of w-w-what?"
"That you were mine.
- Simone Elkeles
The way you keep your house, the way you organize your time, the care you take in your personal appearance, the things you spend your money on, all speak loudly about what you believe. The beauty of thy peace shines forth in an ordered life. A disordered life speaks loudly of disorder in the soul.
- Elisabeth Elliot
I became almost immediately fascinated by the possibilities of trying out all conceivable reactions with them, some leading to explosions, others to unbearable poisoning of the air in our house, frightening my parents.
- Richard Ernst
I was playing violin for a long time, about 6 years. It takes a while. You need very patient people in your house when you have a violin.
- Kevin Eubanks
After all the screaming in our house, there reigned, that winter on Middlesex, only silence. A silence so profound that, like the left foot of the President's secretary, it erased portions of the official record.
- Jeffrey Eugenides
Her father was about to have a heart attack, and my memories of her are now tinged with a blue wash of misfortune that hadn't quite befallen her at the time. She was standing bare-legged in the jungly weeds that grew up between our houses. Her skin was already beginning to react to the grass cuttings stuck to the ball, whose sogginess was suddenly explained by the overweight Labrador who now limped into view.
- Jeffrey Eugenides
My childhood was limited to mostly gospel music. We didn't have, like, a lot of records in our house, you know. It was like my grandparents who raised me. They were pretty old-fashioned in their religious ways, so it was like church, church, church, school, school, school.
- Faith Evans
I gave away two dogs years ago because I felt guilty at not being able to give them the time and attention they deserved. I now regularly feed an army of squirrels and wild birds around our house.
- Mike Farrell
The Universe is very, very big.
It also loves a paradox. For example, it has some extremely strict rules.
Rule number one: Nothing lasts forever.
Not you or your family or your house or your planet or the sun. It is an absolute rule. Therefore when someone says that their love will never die, it means that their love is not real, for everything that is real dies.
Rule number two: Everything lasts forever.
- Craig Ferguson
At CBS, I'm in your house. I'm mindful of that. When I do standup, you're in my home and I can say what I want to.
- Craig Ferguson
Our house is old, and noisy, and full. when we moved into it we had two children and about five thousand books; I expect that when we finally overflow and move out again we will have perhaps twenty children and easily half a million books; we also own assorted beds and tables and chairs and rocking horses and lamps and doll dresses and ship models and paint brushes and literally thousands of socks.
- Shirley Jackson
There had not been this many words sounded in our house for a long time, and it was going to take a while to clean them out.
- Shirley Jackson
Our house contains all that's high-end and high-tech and shiny clean. And three people who would rather be somewhere else.
- Huntley Fitzpatrick
I can't help but notice that...well, you're in my life...at our house, with my family, in my world. But am I really in yours?...
- Huntley Fitzpatrick
I set our house on fire when I was a little child playing with lighters. Boy, did I burn the place down!
- Flavor Flav
...We pray together, we are afraid together, and then we go to sleep. Even if Satan came into the house, no one would interfere. After all, what is there to fear in this house? There is always one with us who is the strongest. Satan may visit our house, but the good Lord lives here.
- Victor Hugo
My father was never anti-anything in our house.
- Errol Flynn
Our house was like sleeping beauties palace after the enchanted spell is cast
- Karen Foxlee
Nudge threw her arms around my neck. 'I love you Max! I love all of us too!'
Yeah, me too,' Said the Gasman. 'I don't care if we have our house, or a cliff ledge, or a cardboard box. Home is wherever we all are, together.
- James Patterson
I don't care if we have our house, or a cliff ledge, or a cardboard box. Home is wherever we all are, together,
- James Patterson
If you break your neck, if you have nothing to eat, if your house is on fire, then you got a problem. Everything else is inconvenience.
- Robert Fulghum
When I was a kid, we actually lived in a house that had been divided in two at one point, which meant that one room in our house opened up onto a brick wall. And I was convinced all I had to do was just open it the right way and it wouldn't be a brick wall. So I'd sidle over to the door and I'd pull it open.
- Neil Gaiman
Your house is your larger body.
- Kahlil Gibran
Your house shall be not an anchor but a mast.
- Kahlil Gibran
Would that I could gather your houses into my hand, and like a sower scatter them in forest and meadow.
- Kahlil Gibran
Consider a clock thermostat, and set it so that you're not using energy when you don't need it, when you're out of your house.
- Al Gore
If you can laugh, you can get through it. In our house, we laugh a lot.
- Jami Gertz
To keep it simple you run your gym like you run your house. Keep it clean and in good running order. No jerks allowed, members pay on time and if they give you any crap, throw them out. There's peace where there's order.
- Joe Gold
When every piece of furniture and your underwear are taken by the bank, when you lose your house in Florida, in New York, in Amsterdam and L.A., when your wife is dying and your son abandons you, you don't feel very good.
- Al Goldstein
Modern Romans insisted that there was only one god, a notion that struck Alobar as comically simplistic. Worse, this Semitic deity was reputed to be jealous (what was there to be jealous of if there were no other gods?), vindictive, and altogether foul-tempered. If you didn't serve the nasty fellow, the Romans would burn your house down. If you did serve him, you were called a Christian and got to burn other people's houses down.
- Tom Robbins
Command that no one be received, or kept to be of your household indoors or without, if one has not reasonable belief of them that they are faithful, discreet, and painstaking in the office for which they are received, and withal honest and of good manners.
- Robert Grosseteste
Command that in no way there be in your household any who make strife, discord or divisions in the hostel, but all shall be of one accord, of one will as of one heart and one soul.
- Robert Grosseteste
And in doing this I advise you to send to the best manors of your lands those of your household in whom you place most confidence to be present in August at the leading of the corn, and to guard it as aforesaid.
- Robert Grosseteste
And be careful of this, that each day at your meals you have two overseers over your household when you sit at meals, and of this be sure, that you shall be very much feared and reverenced.
- Robert Grosseteste
Exhort all your household often that all those who serve you shall know to serve God and you, faithfully and painstakingly, and for the will of God to prefer in all things to do your will and pleasure in all things that are not against God.
- Robert Grosseteste
Command those that govern your house before all you household that they keep careful watch that all your household, within and without, be faithful, painstaking, chaste, clean, honest and profitable.
- Robert Grosseteste
A lot of married people certainly have wonderful relationships with their dogs, but when you're single and your dog is the only other living thing in your house, it's a really special relationship which I wanted CATHY to have.
- Cathy Guisewite
She dismounted, grabbed Enna's hand so tightly that she drew blood with her fingernails, walked straight into the nearest cottage, and plopped down on a bed. Enna nodded to the startled cottage dwellers.
It's the queen, you see," said Enna. "She's going to have a baby in your house. You don't mind?
- Shannon Hale
During the last 2,500 years in Buddhist monasteries, a system of seven practices of reconciliation has evolved. Although these techniques were formulated to settle disputes within the circle of monks, i think they might also be of use in our households and in our society.
The first practice is Face-to-Face-Sitting.
- Nhat Hanh
...and challenging your neighborhood to a round of competitive outdoor decorating. Because you're not really celebrating the birth of Jesus unless your house can be spotted by passing aircraft.
- Molly Harper
We could go back to your house. I can stay with you always. We can know each others bodies in every way, night after night. I could love you. I could work, you would not be poor. I would help you.
- Charlaine Harris
The note, which had been written on one of the pads I kept around for grocery lists, said, "My lover, I came in too close to dawn to wake you, though I was tempted. Your house is full of strange men. A fairy upstairs and a little child downstairs- but as long as there's not one in my lady's chamber, I can stand it".
- Charlaine Harris
We could go back," he said. In the dome light of the car, his face looked hard as stone. "We could go back to your house. I can stay with you always. We can know each other's bodies in every way, night after night. I could love you." His nostrils flared, and he looked suddenly proud. "I could work. You would not be poor. I would help you."
"Sounds like a marriage," I said, trying to lighten the atmosphere. But my voice was too shaky.
"Yes," he said.
- Charlaine Harris
And that's your fantasy? That I come into your house naked and have sex with you?"
"After that, you tell me that you have sent Eric on his way, that you want to be mine forever, and that to share my life you will permit me to make you a vampire like me."
The silence now was thick, and the fun had drained out of the fantasy.
Then Bill added, "You know what I'd say when you told me this? I'd tell you I would never do such a thing. Because I love you.
- Charlaine Harris
I am black," she said, and a shudder rippled through me. "I am foul with a
thousand years of demon curses. Don't cross me or I will bring you and your house down. Rachel is the only clean thing I have, and you won't sully her to
further your high ideas.
- Kim Harrison
The trajectory started when I was on the roof of our house looking out at a swamp when I was 19. I had written for several years, starting at about 15, but that day on the roof I took my vows and acknowledged my calling.
- Jim Harrison
Bring a wife home to your house when you are of the right age, not far short of 30 years, nor much above; this is the right time for marriage.
- Hesiod
I burned down our house, and that put a strain on our family.
- Reese Hoffa
Jill and I have known each other our whole lives. One house separates our houses but we act as if it doesn't exist. We met before we were born and we'll probably still know each other after we die. At least, that's the way we're planning it.
- Alice Hoffman
I certainly don't want a child of mine to be famous, or anyone I was very close to who isn't yet... It's the worst thing to be trapped in your house not be able to leave.
- Elizabeth Hurley
Ares sighed "What are the three words said most often in our house?"
"Not tonight, Ares?" Than offered.
"Funny," Ares growled. "Cara never says that.
- Larissa Ione
People know about the Klan and the overt racism, but the killing of one's soul little by little, day after day, is a lot worse than someone coming in your house and lynching you.
- Samuel L Jackson
Once you're in charge of your job, your house, your children, getting the food on the table, doing all of this, all of the time, it'd be nice for someone else to be in charge for a bit maybe.
- E L James
I'm of the mind that life is a risk, every time you leave your house it's a risk, and I see no reason to go through life with my hands tied behind my back for any reason. I'd be foolish to let something stop me from doing what I love to do.
- Thomas Jane
You can control yourself if you really want to. I'll tell you how I know you can control yourself. If you were in a full fledged emotional temper tantrum in your house and I knocked on your front door..... Come on! Let me tell you what, you would get control of yourself, and it would only take a few seconds.
- Joyce Meyer
I raised frogs every spring in our house from tadpoles and by end of summer our house was overrun with frogs.
- William Joyce
If you are sad, ask yourself why you are sad. Then pick up the phone and call someone and tell him the answer to the question. If you don't know anyone, call the operator and tell him. Most people don't know that the operator has to listen, it is a law. Also, the postman is not allowed to go inside your house, but you can talk to him on public property for up to four minutes or until he wants to go, whichever comes first.
- Miranda July
A brick could be used to decorate a house. And not just one brick, thousands could be stacked and affixed together and really make your house not only feel like a home, but less drafty too.
- Jarod Kintz
A brick could be used for good, or for evil. The Brick of Creation, or the Brick of Destruction. While you're deep in thought, contemplating which one you'd rather use, I'll be over there looting your house.
- Jarod Kintz
I have good news and I have bad news. The good news is that your house hasn't burned down, you don't have cancer, and your daughter hasn't been raped or murdered. The bad news is that I ran over your dog. And your son. And his wife. But not before I ran out of gas to achieve all of that.
- Jarod Kintz
A brick is a good object to hide a house key under. No burglar will be able to get to your key, especially if you hide it under the first brick the mason's lay when constructing your house.
- Jarod Kintz
A brick could be used to keep thieves away from your house. Just set a brick outside your front door, and you won't need any additional security. Years will go by and nobody will steal the brick. And because the brick won't get stolen, it's proof that it deterred thieves from approaching your property.
- Jarod Kintz
Prayer is the mortar that holds our house together.
- Mother Teresa
Do we know our poor people? Do we know the poor in our house, in our family? Perhaps they are not hungry for a piece of bread. Perhaps our children, husband, wife, are not hungry, or naked, or dispossessed, but are you sure there is no one there who feels unwanted, deprived of affection?
- Mother Teresa
If your house is burning, wouldn't you try and put out the fire?
- Imran Khan
What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and work flow.
- Martin Luther
Getting your house in order and reducing the confusion gives you more control over your life. Personal organization some how releases or frees you to operate more effectively.
- Larry King
Our house is like an empty cigarette packet, lying around reminding you what's not in it.
- Barbara Kingsolver
Almost any government activity can also be seen as taking property "without just compensation." The basic model of an unconstitutional "taking" would be if the government threw you out of your house.
- Michael Kinsley
They can't take your house and give it to the mayor's mistress, even if they pay you for it. But they can, apparently, take your house and tear it down to make room for a development of trendy shops and restaurants, a hotel and so on.
- Michael Kinsley
... the city around us seemed colder than ever again, and I realised that even if it really had sensed something going on, it certainly didn't care. It moved forward again. I could feel it. I could almost hear it laugh and taste it. Close. Watching. Mocking. And it was cold, so cold, as it watched my sister bleeding at the back of our house.
- Markus Zusak
Joseph, you're out of clean towels." Lucia poked her head into the living room, the rest of her hidden behind the wall. Her red hair dripped water onto my wooden floors.
"She's in the buff." Jenna guffawed. Gabriella rolled her eyes, beaming.
I rose. "Go back to the bathroom. I'll bring you a towel," I ordered Lucia. She disappeared down the hall.
"You have naked angels running around your house," Jenna continued through her laughter. Gabby laughed louder.
- Laura Kreitzer
We live in a bizarre world - there are cameras in our house!
- Nick Lachey
A friend of mine described it this way: When they were born it was like a meteor landed in our house and blew everything apart. We had to just put all the pieces back.
- Christine Lahti
There's some things you just have to live with. Like twelve cars camping outside your house, and when you wake up in the morning, they're going to follow you wherever you go. It helps that I live in Valencia. It eliminates some. But they're still here.
- Taylor Lautner
Affection would not be affection if it was loudly and frequently expressed; to produce it in public is like getting your household furniture out for a move. It did very well in its place, but it looks shabby or tawdry or grotesque in the sunshine.
- C S Lewis
Pity? You don't want to be pitied because you're a cripple in a wheelchair? Stay in your house!
- Jerry Lewis
You could afford your house without the government if it weren't for the government.
- Rush Limbaugh
Well, well, so you aren't going to be a maidservant this time?" said Pippi, stroking his back. "Oh, that was a lie, that's true," she continued. "But still, if it's true, how can it be a lie?" she argued. "You wait and see, it's going to turn out he was a maidservant in Arabie after all, and if that's the case, I know who's making the meatballs at our house hereafter!
- Astrid Lindgren
2006 is all about getting your house in order and I mean that metaphorically.
- Latoya London
It was at one of the parties at our house that The Rat Pack got started.
- Lorna Luft
Words can sometimes be used to confuse, but it's up to the practitioners of the study of language to apply them for good and not for evil. It is just like fire; fire can heat your house or burn it down.
- Frank Luntz
Food was a constant topic of conversation in our household.
- Paul Lynde
...I am still librarian in your house, for I never was dismissed, and never gave up the office. Now I am librarian here as well.'
'But you have just told me you were sexton here!'
'So I am. It is much the same profession. Except you are a true sexton, books are but dead bodies to you, and a library nothing but a catacomb!
- George Macdonald
You burned the city of London in our houses and we felt the flames.
- Archibald Macleish
Sometimes when you're with somebody, and all their stuff is at your house, it's so hard to break up with them.
- Bam Margera
My dad was a musician, it was just what he did, like another guy's dad drives a meat truck. Our house was normal. We weren't taken with the fact our dad was a musician.
- Branford Marsalis
We always had our own vegetables growing up and now I'm doing it with my kids at our house in the country.
- Stella Mccartney
Stock your mind. It is your house of treasure and no one in the world can interfere with it.
- Frank Mccourt
You have to study and learn so that you can make up your own mind. Stock your mind, stock your mind. It is your house of treasure and no one in the world can interfere with it. If you won the Irish Sweepstakes and bought a house that needed furniture would you fill it with bits and pieces of rubbish? Your mind is your house and if you fill it with rubbish from the cinemas, it will rot in your head. You might be poor, your shoes might be broken, but your mind is a palace.
- Frank Mccourt
I mean, there's a little bit that gets out, but for the most part, the thing that makes us work, and makes our family successful, and our life successful, is when we walk home and we walk into our doors of our house, all that other stuff is left outside. It's not a factor.
- Tim Mcgraw
If you want a golden rule that will fit everything, this is it: Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.
- William Morris
Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.
- William Morris
He turned to me, and do you know what he said to me ? He said in a deadly serious tone, 'Momma, am I dead?' And I said 'no honey, you're not dead', and he shook his head, looking all confused about something. Then he pointed to you dancing and said, 'if I'm not dead, then why is there an Angel in our house.'
- Kirsty Moseley
He said in a deadly serious tone, 'Momma, am I dead?' And I said 'no honey, you're not dead', and he shook his head, looking all confused about something. Then he pointed to you dancing and said, 'if I'm not dead, then why is there an Angel in our house?
- Kirsty Moseley
Not far from our house, and opposite the old church with the golden cross, stood a large building, even larger than the church, and having many towers.
- Max Muller
Sitting down to eat in our house is about sharing, you know, talking about the day you've had, be it in school or work or whatever, so that's very important to us.
- Liam Neeson
Ethan extended his hand. "Mr. Merit. Thank you for your help." My grandfather shook his hand, but he also shook his head. "Thank your Sentinel. She's a fine representative of your House." Ethan looked at me, pride-and love?-in his eyes. "We're in agreement there.
- Chloe Neill
Your house sounds like a train at midday,
the wasps buzz, the saucepans sing,
the waterfall enumerates the deeds of the dew..
- Pablo Neruda
Zac: Now I have a key to your house. I could sneak in tonight and disturb your beauty sleep.
Avery: Eight hours of sleep is crucial to a body that functions at peak efficiency
Zac: A body that functions at peak efficiency? Are you sure you're really sixteen? You sound like Einstein.
Avery: What would you prefer I say? 'I, like, totally need tons of sleep or else I'm, like, a complete zombie
- Shana Norris
[Praying] demands that you take to the road again and again, leaving your house and looking forward to a new land for yourself and your [fellow human]. This is why praying demands poverty, that is, the readiness to live a life in which you have nothing to lose so that you always begin afresh.
- Henri Nouwen
I was thinking of murder, mutilation and dessert like Ignacia Sandoval's instructions for delectable empanadas made of minced mother-in-law's tongue (said to induce peace and harmony in your household), or the gonads of your cheating husband (a savory dish to add spice to your lovemaking).
- Sandra Ramos O Briant
In our household, which was essentially under an evil spell, my father 'Chaplin' was all the magic. A great man draws magic into himself, like reverse lightning. There's nothing to spare for anyone else.
- Joyce Carol Oates
Our house is made of glass... and our lives are made of glass; and there is nothing we can do to protect ourselves.
- Joyce Carol Oates
I hate both of my parents right now: for sitting quietly in our house, while out in the darkness my heart was beating away all of the seconds of my life, ticking them off one by one until my time was up; for letting the thread between us stretch so far and so thin that the moment it was severed for good they didn't even feel it.
- Lauren Oliver
Comments
Post a Comment