Skip to main content

Small Town Quotes

One of the pleasant things about small town life is that everyone, whether rich or poor, liked or disliked, has some kind of a role and place in the community. I never felt that living in a city -- as I once did for a couple of years.
- Edward Abbey

Small towns are like metronomes; with the slightest flick, the beat changes.
- Mitch Albom

As a kid, his favorite toy had been a snow globe, that held a small town of gingerbread buildings and peppermint streets. He'd wanted so badly to live there that one day he'd smashed the glass ball - only to find out that the houses were made of plaster, the candy stripes painted on.
- Jodi Picoult

And I couldn't make fun of her for that dream. It was my dream, too. And Indian boys weren't supposed to dream like that. And white girls from small towns weren't supposed to dream big, either.
We were supposed to be happy with our limitations. But there was no way Penelope and I were going to sit still. Nope, we both wanted to fly:
- Sherman Alexie

I think I knew acting was what I wanted to do. But I was from this small town and there was no place for an adult to recognise it.
- Joan Allen

Delia picked at the raw sores of her conscience...Drunk or sober, Delia lived in the small town in her heart, ignoring the world in which all her love had turned to grief.
- Dorothy Allison

I live in a very small town and now that I've closed down my studio, I'm working at home.
- Sergio Aragones

I thought people in small towns were supposed to be nice, not act like the son of Satan.
- Jennifer L Armentrout

The first time that you escape from home or the small town that you live in - there's a reason a small town is called a small town: It's because not many people want to live there.
- Billie Joe Armstrong

A small town is a place where there's no place to go where you shouldn't.
- Burt Bacharach

Our house was bombed, and the roof fell in. We were sitting under the stairs of the basement, and we were quite safe, but it brought home the realization. In two nights 400 people were killed in small town.
- Roger Bannister

Thousands of cities in America are crying out for relief from the burden of illegal immigration. Small towns like mine can no longer wait for Washington.
- Lou Barletta

I'm Lou Barletta, and I'm a small town defender.
- Lou Barletta

I come from Main Street, from a small town that's really depressed.
- Ben Bernanke

I grew up in a really small town with not a lot of money, and I liked singing, but it was just something that was a hobby.
- Justin Bieber

I grew up in a small town where everyone wanted to be the same or look the same and was afraid to be different.
- Kate Bosworth

As it was a small town and a bored town and a hopeful town, kids talked and rumors started.
- Ann Brashares

I spent a college semester in a small town in Italy - and that is where I truly tasted food for the first time.
- Alton Brown

I suppose more than anything, it's the way of life in this part of the country that influences my writing. In Eastern North Carolina, with the exception of Wilmington, most people live in small towns.
- Nicholas Sparks

You get to tour some of the historic homes and listen to ghost stories."
"This is what people do in small towns?"
"We could either do that or go sit on my porch, chew some tobacco, and play banjos.
- Nicholas Sparks

I hate small towns because once you've seen the cannon in the park there's nothing else to do.
- Lenny Bruce

The big reason why folks leave a small town,' Rant used to say, 'is so they can moon over the idea of going back. And the reason they stay put is so they can moon about getting out.'
Rant meant that no one is happy, anywhere.
- Chuck Palahniuk

I lived in a small town. It was 2,000 people in Canada. A little river that went through it and we swam in the - you know, there was a lot of water around. Niagara Falls was about four or five miles away.
- James Cameron

Fame is only good for one thing - they will cash your check in a small town.
- Truman Capote

There are ten thousand people in the United States in a persistent vegetative state. Just enough to start a small town. Think of them as veggie-burghers.
- George Carlin

The Writer: [voiceover] I was 12 going on 13 the first time I saw a dead human being. It happened in the summer of 1959-a long time ago, but only if you measure in terms of years. I was living in a small town in Oregon called Castle Rock. There were only twelve hundred and eighty-one people. But to me, it was the whole world.
- Stephen King

In small towns people scent the wind with noses of uncommon keenness.
- Stephen King

I've become convinced that genius is a vastly overrated commodity. I think this country is full of geniuses, guys and gals so bright they make your average card carrying MENSA member look like Fucko the Clown. And I think that most of them are teachers, living and working in small town obscurity because that's the way they like it.
- Stephen King

When news of the crash came, probably a lot of people in small towns and farms across America felt a sense of grim satisfaction that the sinners had finally been punished for their wicked ways.
- Ron Chernow

It sounds like a cliche, but it... you do sing about what you know about. And I grew up in a small town, and I grew up in a place where your whole world revolved around friends, family, school, and church, and sports.
- Kenny Chesney

I was born in a very small town in North Dakota, a town of only about 350 people. I lived there until I was 13. It was a marvelous advantage to grow up in a small town where you knew everybody.
- Warren Christopher

I'm from a small town so, like, everyone's married with children or about to have children. So it's a little hard when you go home and people are like - and that's why people think I'm gay - because they're like 'Why aren't you married?' And I'm like, 'it doesn't happen for everyone right off the bat.'
- Kelly Clarkson

I grew up in a conservative small town, and the gay characters I saw on TV and in movies when I was growing up were all flamboyant and obnoxious and sometimes kind of annoying.
- Chris Colfer

It is interesting to be here and to see that for certain actors they have to live in a way that you think of nobody living anymore except for in small towns. They have such elaborate double lives.
- Bill Condon

Personally, I felt pretty safe. Librarians are like priests. You can tell them you want information on just about any subject and they never look at you weird. It's like a rule or something. I figured even in a small town like this, my question wouldn't be the strangest one the librarian had heard. I didn't know if librarians had any sort of official privacy code, but I was counting on confidence. They're not big talkers. It comes from being forced to be quiet all the time.
- Eileen Cook

I'm not really that private of a person. I live in a small town and I'm very neighborly. I go out to dinner just about four nights a week and sit and talk to people. I'm not that private, so it's not that strange to do an interview and try to share a little bit of your life.
- John Corbett

The joy of a small town lies in its unchanging nature.
- Bryce Courtenay

The morning opens, a mist of innocence appears across the countryside that tells each one of us the day is new. That feeling of hope, love and the humble awareness of our duty becomes clear if even for a moment. It is that experience of inspiration that follows us into a small town woken by a cool frost on this Sunday morning and the laughter of children playing.
- Kris Courtney

I come from this really small town near Nashville, Tennessee, where everything was la-di-da and normal.
- Miley Cyrus

My father was a Norwegian who came from a small town near Oslo. He broke his arm at the elbow when he was 14, and they amputated it.
- Roald Dahl

The dynamic is extremely similar to Gremlins and the hero is very similar, plus the small town atmosphere. It really is in a way the third Gremlins movie.
- Joe Dante

But instead of that stuff you get relationships with people and neighbors that you would never get in a city. People in small towns are a lot more open.
- Genevieve Gorder

I do like men and I had, you know, a guy in high school that I wanted to marry desperately. He's the mayor of some small town in Texas. I could be the mayor's wife right now.
- Ellen Degeneres

I look forward to a time when my career in a place where I can get out of Los Angeles and find a nice small town like I grew up in to raise my family.
- Patrick Dempsey

Living in a small town...is like living in a large family of rather uncongenial relations. Sometimes it's fun, and sometimes it's perfectly awful, but it's always good for you. People in large towns are like only-children.
- Joyce Dennys

These two girls start wanting the same thing because in this neighborhood, they know all the guys so well. It's a small town and all the guys are just really boring to them.
- Caroline Dhavernas

It is spring, moonless night in the small town, starless and bible-black, the cobbledstreets silent and the hunched courters'-and-rabbits' wood limping invisible down to the sloeblack, slow, black, crowblack, fishingboat-bobbing sea.
- Dylan Thomas

I'm living out a childhood fantasy. Our house is in a historic district of a small town that I used to read about in storybooks.
- Patty Duke

...I suddenly realized what small towns are. They are places where you grow up with the peculiar-you live next to the strange and the unlikely for so long that everything and everyone become commonplace.
- John Irving

It's passionately interesting for me that the things that I learned in a small town, in a very modest home, are just the things that I believe have won the election.
- Margaret Thatcher

I just owe almost everything to my father and it's passionately interesting for me that the things that I learned in a small town, in a very modest home, are just the things that I believe have won the election.
- Margaret Thatcher

When small towns find they cannot harm the strangest of their members, when eccentrics show resilience, they are eventually embraced and even cherished.
- Louise Erdrich

He thought moving to a small town would allow him to find a way to get along to some extent but people were just plain idiots.
- Christine Feehan

The problem with a small town is that when you don't buy into the powers that be there are very few other choices. It's like a play where there is only a "virtuous" lead, a villain, and bit players. Better to be the villain because you're not duped into believing you're in more than a play, and at least your name goes on the program.
- Catherine Gildiner

I meet a lot of young people in the Midwest, and I saw what a difference a show like In the Life can make to their lives in some of these small towns where, you know, there are probably two gay people in the whole damn town.
- Lesley Gore

I was in Kansas for about a month, and we worked most of the time in a very small town, so it felt like the production basically took the whole town over. In a way, we were the Martians in Kansas.
- Lukas Haas

It was very much like Norman Rockwell: small town America. We walked to school or rode our bikes, stopped at the penny candy store on the way home from school, skated on the pond.
- Dorothy Hamill

Lately he'd been seen going out less and less, becoming that strangest of animals in a small town: a loner.
- Kristin Hannah

Just because you're from a small town doesn't mean that you're small. Don't ever think anyone's more important than you are or has more valid experiences.
- Gwendolyn Heasley

All of us grow up in particular realities - a home, family, a clan, a small town, a neighborhood. Depending upon how we're brought up, we are either deeply aware of the particular reading of reality into which we are born, or we are peripherally aware of it.
- Chaim Potok

I decide to make the most of the time we got left before she gets too big for this small town.
- Steven Herrick

Everybody wants you to do good things, but in a small town you pretty much graduate and get married. Mostly you marry, have children and go to their football games.
- Faith Hill

Any institution becomes a community - whether it's a high school or a boarding school or a publishing company or a small town where everybody knows certain things about people.
- Alice Hoffman

We had such a wonderful set of circumstances in Wilmington. Yes, the four of us became famous literally overnight, but we were in a small town and we always knew when people were coming down. We always knew when to behave.
- Katie Holmes

I lived in small town out in the desert and my friend used to steal his mom's car in the middle of the night. He'd drive over to my house, I'd sneak out and we'd go out to the desert and just burn things down.
- Mark Hoppus

Where would David Copperfield be if Dickens had gone to writing classes? Probably about seventy minor characters short, is where. (Did you know that Dickens is estimated to have invented thirteen thousand characters? Thirteen thousand! The population of a small town!)
- Nick Hornby

I am not from Venus.... I am from a small town on the Serbo-Croation border.
- Samantha Hunt

I come from a small town and I come from a background where we didn't have money to travel. I thought I'd have to join the military to get to Europe. So I'm thrilled to travel.
- Chris Isaak

His aim was the creation of self sufficient small towns,really very nice towns if you were docile and had no plans of your own and did not mind spending your life with others with no plans of their own. As in all Utopias, the right to have plans of any significance belonged only to the planner in charge.
- discussing Ebenezer Howards' Garden City
- Jane Jacobs

I love my small town, and I love going back there and supporting the community. But I could not have stayed there. No way.
- Jeremy Renner

I want to be the mayor of a small town. A small town I populated entirely with my seed.
- Jarod Kintz

And what does the rain say at night in a small town, what does the rain have to say? Who walks beneath dripping melancholy branches listening to the rain? Who is there in the rain's million-needled blurring splash, listening to the grave music of the rain at night, September rain, September rain, so dark and soft? Who is there listening to steady level roaring rain all around, brooding and listening and waiting, in the rain-washed, rain-twinkled dark of night?
- Jack Kerouac

I think that often times Hollywood panders to the cliches of small town life, specifically Southern small town life, and I think that this movie does the opposite.
- Josh Lucas

I sort of always had an inkling towards some kind of an art form. I grew up in a very small town, and I just figure-skated. My dad played hockey and I was surrounded by sports, but it wasn't quite doing it for me. I wasn't totally fulfilled, and I did a lot of skating.
- Rachel Mcadams

I was born and raised in a small town in Maine, Waterville. I enjoyed living there - still do - and my goal in life was a fairly specific and focused one of practicing law in Maine.
- George J Mitchell

I literally integrated the small town of Libertyville, Illinois. I was the first person of color to reside within its borders.
- Tom Morello

I came from a small town and at school in one class there was me, a member from Depeche Mode and someone who went on to join The Cure. That was all in one class of 30 kids.
- Alison Moyet

I grew up in a very small town which is remote even by Indian standards. I always dreamed of the world.
- Mira Nair

We set the town on fire and burned down every house as a warning to other small towns along the river.
- Knute Nelson

President Johnson and I have a lot in common. We were both born in small towns and we're both fortunate in the fact that we think we married above ourselves.
- Richard M Nixon

Small towns are sometimes like that; familiarity runs high, while regard for personal space is low, if nonexistent.
- Laurie Notaro

I was just glad to meet somebody outside of my group of small town friends who was into music. Somebody else who had aspirations to do something more than sing at a record hop.
- John Oates

I really understand where Alice is coming from - I've been in exactly the same place coming from a small town and knowing that I need to do other things, that I have to leave.
- Molly Parker

I think in small towns like this one, whether you're a man or a woman, you basically do what there is to do.
- Estelle Parsons

I grew up all over Idaho - I was born in Emmett, a very small town.
- Aaron Paul

Anyone who thinks small towns are friendlier than big cities lives in a big city.
- Richard Peck

I grew up half the time in a small town called Mart, Texas, and half the time in L.A., because I was acting. My high school was crazy about football.
- Jesse Plemons

My background is a small town with no movie theater. So... I always pictured myself onstage. I went to acting school and learned all the skills. I left early because I did my first movie and discovered that I really loved the minimalistic work with the camera.
- Franka Potente

I was brought up in a very small town in upstate New York.
- Bill Pullman

My films play only in Bengal, and my audience is the educated middle class in the cities and small towns. They also play in Bombay, Madras and Delhi where there is a Bengali population.
- Satyajit Ray

I wanted to escape Small Town U.S.A. To dismiss the boundaries, to explore. My life experience came from watching movies, TV, and reading books and magazines. When your culture comes from watching TV everyday, you're bombarded with images of things that seem cool, places that seem interesting, people who have jobs and careers and opportunities.
- Trent Reznor

Lestat and Louie feel sorry for vampires that sparkle in the sun. They would never hurt immortals who choose to spend eternity going to high school over and over again in a small town ---- anymore than they would hurt the physically disabled or the mentally challenged. My vampires possess gravitas. They can afford to be merciful.
- Anne Rice

After Lock, Stock, all these really nasty small town characters came knocking at my door trying to tell me stories, and somehow I ended up with this guy whose brother was feeding people to pigs, and that's what he did to get rid of people.
- Guy Ritchie

When I go home to Pennsylvania, my cousins who live in small towns and are twenty-three with kids are like 'Krysten, when are you getting married?' 'When are you having a kid?' Honestly, those aren't the most important things to me right now.
- Krysten Ritter

But people in a small town tend to do a lot of talking, even when they don't know what they're talking about.
- Don Roff

If you're an Afghan village leader in a small town down around Kandahar somewhere, and you know that the footprint is getting smaller for your security, and the Taliban saying don't forget, I'm going to be back real soon, who is your loyalty going to go through?
- Mike Rogers

This President takes his inspiration from the capitals of Europe; we look to the cities and small towns of America. This President puts his faith in government. We put our faith in the American people.
- Mitt Romney

There are things about growing up in a small town that you can't necessarily quantify.
- Brandon Routh

People in small towns, much more than in cities, share a destiny.
- Richard Russo

It started 25 years ago, when I was teaching elementary school in a small town in Missouri.
- Dan Simmons

Living in a small town, I knew everybody and everybody knew me.
- Anna Nicole Smith

Every small town has its dramatic group, its barber-shop quartet, every home has music in one form or another.
- Kate Smith

The tyranny of public opinion (and what an opinion!) is as fatuous in the small towns of France as it is in the United States of America.
- Stendhal

There is a certain kind of small town that grows like a boil on the ass of every Army base in the world.
- Neal Stephenson

Tyrone, I think they're taking to festivals. I don't know which festivals it will be at. It's like a buddy picture. It's a couple of guys driving across the country and they get to a small town and they hit a guy. The guy turns out to be a drug smuggler.
- Ethan Suplee

The openness of rural Nebraska certainly influenced me. That openness, in a way, fosters the imagination. But growing up, Lincoln wasn't a small town. It was a college town. It had record stores and was a liberal place.
- Matthew Sweet

I'm not a princess
This ain't a fairytale
I'm not the one you'll sweep off her feet
Lead her up the stairwell
This ain't Hollywood,
This is a small town
I was a dreamer before you went and let me down.
Now its too late for you and your White Horse,
To come around.
- Taylor Swift

What we don't talk about enough is Ohio's unique and remarkable quality of life. We are a state of cities, small towns and growing suburbs where life is affordable and destinations within reach. There is no better place to raise a family.
- Bob Taft

My plan is to have a theatre in some small town or something and I'll be manager. Ill be the crazy old movie guy.
- Quentin Tarantino

I grew up in Michigan, in a very small town, Centreville. In my graduating class, I had like 92 people.
- Verne Troyer

Football, that's just athletics. But in the business world - doing everything - people are competing. So you need good work ethics, and I think it helped me to develop good work ethics, being in a small town.
- Herschel Walker

Coming from a small town it was tough to dream big. When I grew up in a small town in Georgia, my biggest dream was one day to be able to go to Atlanta.
- Herschel Walker

I never dreamed about being an actor, because that was out of reach. Coming from a small town that was big in farming, and also big in clothing factories, you don't dream about being a professional football player or an actor.
- Herschel Walker

If I had to come up with something that just came to me, I think growing up in a small town, I want knowledge. I still think today, knowledge is one of the keys.
- Herschel Walker

I represent a rural state and live in a small town. Small merchants make up the majority of Vermont's small businesses and thread our state together. It is the mom-and-pop grocers, farm-supply stores, coffee shops, bookstores and barber shops where Vermonters connect, conduct business and check in on one another.
- Peter Welch

I lived in Minnesota in a small town.
- Steve Zahn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fat Person Quotes

She was convinced that she was anorexic, because every time she looked in the mirror she did indeed see a fat person. - Terry Pratchett I sensed immediately that he'd once been overweight. He moved with a fat person's tiptoey apology. - Jennifer Egan I feel self-conscious calling my cat fat in front of a fat person, considering I'm skinny and inconsiderate. - Jarod Kintz I call myself a FFP: former fat person, and when you're an FFP, you will always see in yourself what people used to bully you for. - Kelly Osbourne Well you know, it's true that as a fat person I run a greater risk of heart disease, diabetes, and a number of other things. But guess what? The amount of that risk is almost infinitessimal! - Daniel Pinkwater

Bass Player Quotes

I always just wanted to be the singer or the bass player in the band. I'd love to have a band, where I was obviously the singer, but where it wasn't me, it wasn't my name. - Bryan Adams In jazz, you listen to what the bass player is doing and what the drummer is doing, what the pianist and the guitarist is doing, and then you play something that compliments that, so you are thinking simultaneously and thinking ahead. - David Amram I can understand why some of these drummers and bass players become cult figures with all of their equipment and the incredible amount of technique they have. But there's very little that I think satisfies you intellectually or emotionally. - Ken Burns Jack Bruce, as soon as I saw him, it changed me. I didn't even know what bass players did until I saw Cream. - Geezer Butler Bass players are always the intellectual kind, but nobody knows it. - Stanley Clarke There are a lot of people who can do it on the guitar and sing at the same t...