Somewhere along the line, organized religion stopped being about faith, and started being about who had the power to keep the faith. You said that the purpose of religion was to bring people together. But does it, really? Or does it-knowingly, purposefully, and intentionally--break them apart?
- Jodi Picoult
As I have read the Gospels over the years, the belief has grown in me that Christ did not come to found an organized religion but came instead to found an unorganized one. He seems to have come to carry religion out of the temples into the fields and sheep pastures, onto the roadsides and the banks of the rivers, into the houses of sinners and publicans, into the town and the wilderness, toward the membership of all that is here. Well, you can read and see what you think.
- Wendell Berry
Few things are more beautiful to me than a bunch of thuggish, heavily tattooed line cooks moving around each other like ballerinas on a busy Saturday night. Seeing two guys who'd just as soon cut each other's throats in their off hours moving in unison with grace and ease can be as uplifting as any chemical stimulant or organized religion.
- Anthony Bourdain
I hate organized religion. I think you have to love thy neighbor as thyself. I think you have to pick your own God and be true to him. I always say 'him' rather than 'her.' Maybe it's because of my generation, but I don't like the idea of a female God. I see God as a benevolent male.
- Julia Child
I think there's been a big problem between religion, or organized religion, and spirituality.
- Dave Davies
I don't know about you, but I practice a disorganized religion. I belong to an unholy disorder. We call ourselves Our Lady of the Perpetual Astonishment
- Kurt Vonnegut
I don't believe in organized religion - I dealt with them hand in hand, and a whole bunch of Catholic priests tried to molest me. Telling me I was gay and I should go home with them and stuff.
- Jonathan Davis
It's unlikely that the organized religions will get more sectarian... or is it? I am not at all sure.
- Mary Douglas
It is very reasonable to worry about the harm done by organized religion, and to prefer looser and more private arrangements.
- Mary Douglas
Just in our lifetime our society has become looser and more private, it becomes extremely difficult to hold to any permanent commitment whatever, least of all to organized religion.
- Mary Douglas
Some scholars have been arguing that a civilizational clash between organized religions is the next step in human history.
- Mary Douglas
I decided to take God and organized religion seriously, and to reject the secular life which in my teens had looked attractive because it allowed me to act in any way that I wanted.
- Luke Ford
I see no way out of the problems that organized religion and tribalism create other than humans just becoming more honest and fully aware of themselves.
- E O Wilson
I have no argument with those who see in organized religion a template or an imperative to live life according to a prescribed set of beliefs. Just give others the room, within the laws of civil society, to believe or not believe whatever they like.
- Michael J Fox
The Y Chromosome, organized religion and money are the roots of all evil.
- William Hageman
I hate organized religion. I hate that people use it to justify their crappy, bigoted beliefs.
- Hannah Harrington
Violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism and tribalism and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children: organized religion ought to have a great deal on its conscience.
- Christopher Hitchens
Organized religion: the world's largest pyramid scheme.
- Bernard Katz
I never found much comfort in overly organized religion of any sort.
- Jewel Kilcher
Governments want efficient technicians, not human beings, because human beings become dangerous to governments and to organized religions as well. That is why governments and religious organizations seek to control education.
- Jiddu Krishnamurti
But I should note, for all my resistance to organized religion, that I don't believe Charlie could have quit drinking without it. It provided him with a way to structure his behavior, and a way to explain that behavior, both past and present, to himself. Perhaps fiction has, for me, served a similar purpose--what is a narrative arc if not the imposition of order on disparate events? -- and perhaps it is my avid reading that has been my faith all along.
- Curtis Sittenfeld
I also don't have organized religion on Pern. I figured - since there were four holy wars going on at the time of writing - that religion was one problem Pern didn't need.
- Anne Mccaffrey
This is a book about getting nakednot physically, but spiritually. It's about stripping away the symbols and status of public religionthe Sunday-dress version people often call "organized religion." And it's about attending to the well-being of the soul clothed only in naked human skin.
- Brian D Mclaren
I'm not into organized religion. I'm into believing in a higher source of creation, realizing we're all just part of nature.
- Neil Young
Organized religion is a sham and a crutch for weak-minded people who need strength in numbers. It tells people to go out and stick their noses in other people's business.
- Jesse Ventura
I don't necessarily believe in organized religion.
- Will Smith
Organized religion provides a model of the way all organizations, from the state down to the village garden club, end a price in terms of a member's freedom of thought and action.
- Robert Shea
Although both sides of my family were religious, I was never forced to practice the Jewish faith. I did not really rebel against it, but then, as today, I disliked organized religion. I have a strange inhibition about praying with others.
- Georg Solti
Yes, reason has been a part of organized religion, ever since two nudists took dietary advice from a talking snake.
- Jon Stewart
Organized religion preaches Order and Love but spawns Chaos and Fury. Why?
- Kerry Thornley
If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe.
- Kerry Thornley
Well, I think indigenous peoples have ways of living on the Earth that they've had forever. And they've been overrun by organized religion, which has had a lot of money and power.
- Alice Walker
Nothing has done more to separate and divide human beings one from another than exclusivist organized religion.
- Neale Donald Walsch
In a lot of Indian societies, spirituality has been lost, I think it's still the best way of looking at the world for Indians - better than any organized religion in this country.
- James Welch
- Jodi Picoult
As I have read the Gospels over the years, the belief has grown in me that Christ did not come to found an organized religion but came instead to found an unorganized one. He seems to have come to carry religion out of the temples into the fields and sheep pastures, onto the roadsides and the banks of the rivers, into the houses of sinners and publicans, into the town and the wilderness, toward the membership of all that is here. Well, you can read and see what you think.
- Wendell Berry
Few things are more beautiful to me than a bunch of thuggish, heavily tattooed line cooks moving around each other like ballerinas on a busy Saturday night. Seeing two guys who'd just as soon cut each other's throats in their off hours moving in unison with grace and ease can be as uplifting as any chemical stimulant or organized religion.
- Anthony Bourdain
I hate organized religion. I think you have to love thy neighbor as thyself. I think you have to pick your own God and be true to him. I always say 'him' rather than 'her.' Maybe it's because of my generation, but I don't like the idea of a female God. I see God as a benevolent male.
- Julia Child
I think there's been a big problem between religion, or organized religion, and spirituality.
- Dave Davies
I don't know about you, but I practice a disorganized religion. I belong to an unholy disorder. We call ourselves Our Lady of the Perpetual Astonishment
- Kurt Vonnegut
I don't believe in organized religion - I dealt with them hand in hand, and a whole bunch of Catholic priests tried to molest me. Telling me I was gay and I should go home with them and stuff.
- Jonathan Davis
It's unlikely that the organized religions will get more sectarian... or is it? I am not at all sure.
- Mary Douglas
It is very reasonable to worry about the harm done by organized religion, and to prefer looser and more private arrangements.
- Mary Douglas
Just in our lifetime our society has become looser and more private, it becomes extremely difficult to hold to any permanent commitment whatever, least of all to organized religion.
- Mary Douglas
Some scholars have been arguing that a civilizational clash between organized religions is the next step in human history.
- Mary Douglas
I decided to take God and organized religion seriously, and to reject the secular life which in my teens had looked attractive because it allowed me to act in any way that I wanted.
- Luke Ford
I see no way out of the problems that organized religion and tribalism create other than humans just becoming more honest and fully aware of themselves.
- E O Wilson
I have no argument with those who see in organized religion a template or an imperative to live life according to a prescribed set of beliefs. Just give others the room, within the laws of civil society, to believe or not believe whatever they like.
- Michael J Fox
The Y Chromosome, organized religion and money are the roots of all evil.
- William Hageman
I hate organized religion. I hate that people use it to justify their crappy, bigoted beliefs.
- Hannah Harrington
Violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism and tribalism and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children: organized religion ought to have a great deal on its conscience.
- Christopher Hitchens
Organized religion: the world's largest pyramid scheme.
- Bernard Katz
I never found much comfort in overly organized religion of any sort.
- Jewel Kilcher
Governments want efficient technicians, not human beings, because human beings become dangerous to governments and to organized religions as well. That is why governments and religious organizations seek to control education.
- Jiddu Krishnamurti
But I should note, for all my resistance to organized religion, that I don't believe Charlie could have quit drinking without it. It provided him with a way to structure his behavior, and a way to explain that behavior, both past and present, to himself. Perhaps fiction has, for me, served a similar purpose--what is a narrative arc if not the imposition of order on disparate events? -- and perhaps it is my avid reading that has been my faith all along.
- Curtis Sittenfeld
I also don't have organized religion on Pern. I figured - since there were four holy wars going on at the time of writing - that religion was one problem Pern didn't need.
- Anne Mccaffrey
This is a book about getting nakednot physically, but spiritually. It's about stripping away the symbols and status of public religionthe Sunday-dress version people often call "organized religion." And it's about attending to the well-being of the soul clothed only in naked human skin.
- Brian D Mclaren
I'm not into organized religion. I'm into believing in a higher source of creation, realizing we're all just part of nature.
- Neil Young
Organized religion is a sham and a crutch for weak-minded people who need strength in numbers. It tells people to go out and stick their noses in other people's business.
- Jesse Ventura
I don't necessarily believe in organized religion.
- Will Smith
Organized religion provides a model of the way all organizations, from the state down to the village garden club, end a price in terms of a member's freedom of thought and action.
- Robert Shea
Although both sides of my family were religious, I was never forced to practice the Jewish faith. I did not really rebel against it, but then, as today, I disliked organized religion. I have a strange inhibition about praying with others.
- Georg Solti
Yes, reason has been a part of organized religion, ever since two nudists took dietary advice from a talking snake.
- Jon Stewart
Organized religion preaches Order and Love but spawns Chaos and Fury. Why?
- Kerry Thornley
If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe.
- Kerry Thornley
Well, I think indigenous peoples have ways of living on the Earth that they've had forever. And they've been overrun by organized religion, which has had a lot of money and power.
- Alice Walker
Nothing has done more to separate and divide human beings one from another than exclusivist organized religion.
- Neale Donald Walsch
In a lot of Indian societies, spirituality has been lost, I think it's still the best way of looking at the world for Indians - better than any organized religion in this country.
- James Welch
Comments
Post a Comment