Skip to main content

The Beginning Quotes

I love you. The words reverberated between them, sinking into their skin, scored onto their hearts as they staked their claims to each other's bodies, surrendering themselves and possessing each other, a tangle of limbs and lust and love, coiled together into one perfect unit, one small miracle, one simple story that has been told and retold since the beginning of time: just two people meeting, the most extraordinary and wondrous and mundane thing in the world.
- Kate Aaron

We have agreed with Prime Minister Ariel Sharon to cease all acts of violence against the Israelis and against the Palestinians wherever they are. Tranquility and quiet that will be witnessed and in our land, starting today, is the beginning for a new era.
- Mahmoud Abbas

Certainly, I want to capture the reader's attention from the beginning and hold it until the end: that is half the purpose of my art. The other half must be to tell my story in the most honest way that I can.
- Edward Abbey

The distrust of wit is the beginning of tyranny.
- Edward Abbey

The educated Southerner has no use for an 'R', except at the beginning of a word.
- Mark Twain

In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.
- Mark Twain

After all these years, I see that I was mistaken about Eve in the beginning; it is better to live outside the Garden with her than inside it without her.
- Mark Twain

The more I support with my economic plans the building of a middle class, the quicker they're going to turn around and say, 'Hey, we want a bigger say in things.' So, I knew what I was getting into right at the beginning. It's the right thing to do.
- King Abdullah Ii

When the British came to Ibo land, for instance, at the beginning of the 20th century, and defeated the men in pitched battles in different places, and set up their administrations, the men surrendered. And it was the women who led the first revolt.
- Chinua Achebe

For nothing is evil in the beginning.
- J R R Tolkien

Knowledge of human nature is the beginning and end of political education.
- Henry Brooks Adams

I never took a grant or borrowed a penny from anybody. It was partially because I didn't really know how to do that, but secondly, my pride never would have allowed me to. In the beginning it was about doing it the right way, on the merits of the music.
- Bryan Adams

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
- Douglas Adams

Wonder is the beginning of wisdom in learning from books as well as from nature.
- Mortimer Adler

And I pray mark how he begins: he sets not up trophies to himself, but triumphs in his God-- "I will love thee, O Lord, my strength." As the love of God is the beginning of all our mercies, so love to God should be the end and effect of them all. As the stream leads us to the spring, so all the gifts of God must lead us to the giver of them.
- Richard Steele

The way to write a thriller is to ask a question at the beginning, and answer it at the end.
- Lee Child

Obviously, I'm at the beginning of my career, contrary to what anyone else thinks. I'm 19 years old. In any other country, everywhere else, you're a prospect. And that's what I am right now in Europe. I'm a prospect. I'm not a seasoned veteran.
- Freddy Adu

The beginnings of my studies also came to me from my father, as well as from the Rabbinical Judge of our town. But they were preceded by three tutors under whom I studied, one after the other, from the time I was three and a half till I turned eight and a half.
- Shmuel Y Agnon

And this tenderness was not like
That which a certain poet
At the beginning of the century called true
And, for some reason, quiet. No, not at all
It rang out, like the first waterfall,
It crunched like the crust of bluish ice
And it prayed with a swanlike voice,
And it broke down right before our eyes.
- Anna Akhmatova

I knew Scotty was going to win. At the beginning of the episode, I was like, 'Scotty, are you ready to win?'. I knew he was going to in my heart. I accepted it. I couldn't pick a more perfect person to get second place to. He's my best friend.
- Lauren Alaina

In the beginning of life, when we are infants, we need others to survive, right? And at the end of life, when you get like me, you need others to survive, right?' His voice dropped to a whisper. 'But here's the secret: in between, we need others as well.
- Mitch Albom

Dying? Not the end of everything.
We think it is, but what happens
Earth is just the beginning.
- Mitch Albom

Dying? not the end of everything. We think it is. But what happens on earth is only the beginning.
- Mitch Albom

Time," the Captain said, "is not what you think." He sat down next to Eddie. "Dying? Not the end of everything. We think it is. But what happens on earth is only the beginning.
- Mitch Albom

Making a decision is only the beginning of things
- Paulo Coelho

making a decision was only the beginning of things. When someone makes a decision, he is really diving into a strong current that will carry him to places he had never dreamed of when he first made the decision.
- Paulo Coelho

But he was able to understand one thing: making a decision was only the beginning of things. When someone makes a decision, he is really diving into a strong current that will carry him to places he had never dreamed of when he first made the decision.
- Paulo Coelho

In the beginning there was only a small amount of injustice abroad in the world, but everyone who came afterwards added their portion, always thinking it was very small and unimportant, and look where we have ended up today.
- Paulo Coelho

The completion is always more difficult that the beginning
- Paulo Coelho

People in the real world would kill for a happily ever after, and you're willing to just throw it away ?"
I look away from her. "It's hardly a happily ever after when you wind up right at the beginning.
- Jodi Picoult

It's never fifty-fifty in a marriage. Someone falls in love first. Someone puts someone else up on a pedestal. Someone works hard to keep things rolling smoothly, someone else sails along for the ride. Someone who would do anything to keep it the way it was in the beginning.
- Jodi Picoult

Well I talk a little about that, but I don't admit that from the beginning I knew we were not meant to be together.
- Jodi Picoult

...nothing seemed impossible in the beginning...
- Louisa May Alcott

...Let me tell you something, Allen. I've been around now, enough to know there are some bigger things in the world than marriage and a prosaic settling down under one roof."
"Now, I'll tell you something." He sat up straighter under the wheel. "There isn't,not a thingwhen it's two people who really care, and, and settling down under one roof, as you say, is the beginning of a real home. There's nothing finer..
- Bess Streeter Aldrich

Although it's only the beginning of the championship, I am very surprised at my capability.
- Jean Alesi

I decided to do the maximum to hold onto the lead for as long as possible. That is why I pushed so hard from the beginning. I was at 100 percent concentration.
- Jean Alesi

I entered into Dawson's Creek to do a couple of episodes. They weren't sure about my role in the beginning, but then the chemistry kind of worked.
- Sasha Alexander

For me, Barack Obama's election was a milestone of the most extraordinary kind. On the day he was elected I felt such hope in my heart. I thought we were seeing the beginning of a new era of equal opportunity across race and gender such as America had never known before.
- Jesse Jackson

Remember tonight... for it is the beginning of always.
- Dante Alighieri

In the beginning the organizer's first job is to create the issues or problems.
- Saul Alinsky

Hem,' he said, and I knew he was a critic now, since, in conversation, they put your name at the beginning of a sentence rather than at the end.
- Ernest Hemingway

Mountains are the beginning and the end of all natural scenery.
- John Ruskin

To make your children capable of honesty is the beginning of education.
- John Ruskin

Let every dawn be to you as the beginning of life, and every setting sun be to you as its close.
- John Ruskin

She's wacko. I should have known she was wacko from the beginning. She had a thing about spies. Was always watching those stupid Bond movies. I'd be banging her from behind, and she'd be watching James Bond on the television. Can you believe it?
- Janet Evanovich

Cooking wasn't so bad, I thought. In fact, it was a lot like sex. Sometimes it didn't seem like such a good idea in the beginning, but then after you got into it ...
- Janet Evanovich

In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth." Sorry, Darwin-huggers, but it's not "In the beginning, a monkey evolutioned gay marriage.
- Stephen Colbert

No, what I felt was the torment of waiting, stuck between the end of one sentence and the beginning of the next which might or might not bring a hail storm, plane crash, poetic justice, or a miraculous reversal.
- Nicole Krauss

Without memories to cloud it, the mind perceives with absolute clarity. Each observation stands out in stark relief. In the beginning, when there's not yet a smudge, the slate still blank, there is only the present moment: each vital detail, shocked color, the fall of light. Like film stills. The mind relentlessly open to the world, deeply impressed, even hurt by it: not yet gauzed by memory.
- Nicole Krauss

In the beginning it was always the same. But. I kept trying. Then one day I accidentally moved as the shutter clicked. A shadow appeared. The next time I saw the outline of my face, and a few weeks later my face itself. It was the opposite of disappearing.
- Nicole Krauss

Thankfulness is the beginning of gratitude. Gratitude is the completion of thankfulness. Thankfulness may consist merely of words. Gratitude is shown in acts.
- Henri Frederic Amiel

In the beginning, I didn't dance that much and stuff.
- Namie Amuro

Eve paused to let her words sink into the soil of his fatherly impulses. Blake's not doing goodyou know that. It's more than possible he won't make it. Being with the one you love at the end is almost as important as the beginning. It's a mark in time, before and after. That tiny bit of time in the middle? You never stop thinking about that. She needs to be with Blake.
- Debra Anastasia

Musicians from the beginning of time have been there to express the mood and the musical feelings in the air for whatever's going on in that particular culture. It's the greatest joy as a musician to be able to translate that, be part of something and watch the scenery around you.
- Trey Anastasio

People only stutter at the beginning of the word. They're not afraid when they get to the end of the word. There's just regret.
- Laurie Anderson

Lily told her about what had happened so far. (If you're interested, you can go back to the beginning of the book and read all the way through to this point again.)
- M T Anderson

At the beginning Scully was much more sceptical than she is now.
- Gillian Anderson

In time, she learned to develop her own opinion of the people that she worked for, and she got stronger. Think she's now much stronger. In the beginning she wanted to believe she was strong but sometimes she faltered.
- Gillian Anderson

I always had a dream about trying to make a movie that had no dialogue in it, that was just music and pictures. I still haven't done it yet, but I tried to get close in the beginning.
- Paul Thomas Anderson

That in the beginning when the world was young there were a great many thoughts but no such thing as truth. Man made the truths himself and each truth was a composite of a great many vague thoughts. All about in the world were truths and they were all beautiful.
- Sherwood Anderson

The smartphone revolution is under-hyped, more people have access to phones than access to running water. We've never had anything like this before since the beginning of the planet.
- Marc Andreessen

A cowboy, a lawyer, and a mechanic watched Queen of the Damned," I murmured.
Warrenwho had once, a long time ago, been a cowboysnickered and wiggled his bare feet. "It could be the beginning of either a bad joke or a horror story."
"No," said Kyle, the lawyer, whose head was propped up on my thigh. "If you want a horror story, you have to start out with a werewolf, his gorgeous lover, and a walker.
- Patricia Briggs

In the beginning his dream and his happiness, in the end it was his bitter fate...But in the midst of the freedom he had attained Harry suddenly became aware that his freedom was a death and that he stood alone.
- Hermann Hesse

May you live in such a way that your death is just the beginning of your life.
- Max Lucado

But the community knew Blade, and everybody but us was shocked at the box office, and subsequently the DVD. That was the beginning of the DVD revolution, and Blade was just like wildfire.
- Avi Arad

I was allowed to ring the bell for five minutes until everyone was in assembly. It was the beginning of power.
- Jeffrey Archer

No cause is left but the most ancient of all, the one, in fact, that from the beginning of our history has determined the very existence of politics, the cause of freedom versus tyranny.
- Hannah Arendt

That Hegelian dialectics should provide a wonderful instrument for always being right, because they permit the interpretations of all defeats as the beginning of victory, is obvious. One of the most beautiful examples of this kind of sophistry occurred after 1933 when the German Communists for nearly two years refused to recognize that Hitler's victory had been a defeat for the German Communist Party.
- Hannah Arendt

The soul takes nothing with her to the next world but her education and her culture. At the beginning of the journey to the next world, one's education and culture can either provide the greatest assistance, or else act as the greatest burden, to the person who has just died.
- Plato

So if anyone is to declare how the all was in this way genuinely born, he must also mix in the form of the wandering cause-how it is its nature to sweep things around. In this way, then, we must retreat, and, by taking in turn another, new beginning suited to these very matters, just as in what was before us earlier, so too in what is before us now, we must begin again from the beginning.
- Plato

Truth is the beginning of every good to the gods, and of every good to man.
- Plato

The beginning is the most important part of the work.
- Plato

Thank you. But I can't take you up on that." She went to her bike, raised the kickstand, and swung her
leg over.
"Why not?"
"The guy who just broke up with me ... he was exactly like you, in the beginning. Charming, and nice. They're all like you in the beginning. But I
always end up like this. And I can't do it anymore.
- Lisa Kleypas

The guy who broke up with me... he was exactly like you, in the beginning. Charming, and nice. They're all like you in the beginning. But I always end up like this. And I can't do it anymore.
- Lisa Kleypas

The London season is like one of those Drury Lane melodramas in which marriage is always the ending. And no one ever seems to give any thought as to what happens after. But marriage isn't the end of the story it's the beginning. And it demands the efforts of both partners to make a success of it.
- Lisa Kleypas

Before you marry, you have to get shot by an arrow and fall in love," the boy explained. He paused thoughtfully. "But I don't think the rest of it hurts as much as the beginning.
- Lisa Kleypas

I didn't want to give you the one last part of myself that I couldn't take back. And then you were gone... And I realized it was already yours. It had been since the beginning. Except that I hadn't told you. It drove me mad, the thought that you would never know.
- Lisa Kleypas

Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.
- Aristotle

The beginning of reform is not so much to equalize property as to train the noble sort of natures not to desire more, and to prevent the lower from getting more.
- Aristotle

Dee loves it here. Before you came, she spent most of her days here."
To Daemon, my arrival was the beginning of the end. The apocalypse. Kat-mageddon. "You know, I'm not going to get your sister in trouble."
"We'll see.
- Jennifer L Armentrout

At the beginning of the twentieth century, every single leading Muslim intellectual was in love with the west, and wanted their countries to look just like Britain and France.
- Karen Armstrong

I'd like to say from the beginning that the 12 years I've been coming here, I've met unfailing courtesy and cooperation, courtesy from your people and cooperation from the Ministry of Information.
- Peter Arnett

Perhaps,' she said, leaning forward a little, 'you will tell me your name. If we are to be friends' - she smiled her grave smile - 'as I hope we are, we had better begin at the beginning.
- Elizabeth Von Arnim

The final end of Eternity, and the beginning of Infinity
- Isaac Asimov

It's interesting that instead of having to get tighter and more restricted for a collaboration, strangely enough, from the beginning, we've actually been more confident that we could handle this.
- Robert Asprin

Before the beginning is the void and the void belongs in neither time nor space and is therefore beyond our imagination.
Nothing will come of nothing unless it's the beginning of the world. This is how it begins, with the word and the word is life. The void is transformed by a gigantic firecracker allowing time to dawn and imagination to begin.
- Kate Atkinson

The beginning is the word and the end is silence. And in between are all the stories.
- Kate Atkinson

Was that the beginning, that evening? It's hard to know. Beginnings are sudden, but also insidious. They creep up on you sideways, they keep to the shadows, they lurk unrecognized. Then, later, they spring.
- Margaret Atwood

The beginning of Canadian cultural nationalism was not 'Am I really that oppressed?' but 'Am I really that boring?'
- Margaret Atwood

at last you, will say
(maybe without speaking)
(there are mountains
inside your skull
garden and chaos, ocean
and hurricane; certain
corners of rooms, portraits
of great-grandmothers, curtains
of a particular shade;
your deserts; your private
dinosaurs; the first
woman)
all i need to know:
tell me
everything
just as it was
from the beginning.
- Margaret Atwood

In every phenomenon the beginning remains always the most notable moment.
- Thomas Carlyle

Love is ever the beginning of knowledge as fire is of light.
- Thomas Carlyle

A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge.
- Thomas Carlyle

I do not insist," answered Don Quixote, "that this is a full adventure, but it is the beginning of one, for this is the way adventures begin.
- Miguel De Cervantes Saavedra

There were events that stuck in my mind. One, for example, was the case of the missing palace seal at the beginning of winter.'
'Oh the poor animal,' she cried out, 'they're such beautiful creatures.'
'I'm speaking of the royal seal placed on correspondence, as you would know,' he said.
- Melina Marchetta

Beauty is about perception, not about make-up. I think the beginning of all beauty is knowing and liking oneself. You can't put on make-up, or dress yourself, or do you hair with any sort of fun or joy if you're doing it from a position of correction.
- Kevyn Aucoin

And that's how I start myself. I usually go back a couple of pages, maybe to the beginning of the chapter, and I start reading. And as I'm reading, I'm tweaking - putting in a different word, changing the syntax, putting that clause over there, you know that sort of thing.
- Jean M Auel

From the beginning, the series has been story driven - I began with a story idea - but research feeds it.
- Jean M Auel

From the beginning, when I first got an idea for a story and wondered if I could write it, it has always been the story that has driven me.
- Jean M Auel

To put down an ideogram of a table so that people will recognize it as a table is not the work of a painter, but to sense it for a moment as a magic carpet with a leg hanging down at each corner is the beginning of a painter's imagination.
- Frank Auerbach

From the beginning, we were prepared, we know how we would shoot and cut the two versions.
- Bille August

She is also brought to a point of zero in the beginning of the story, and I think you can say that about a lot of my films in that they are often about people who are brought to the point of zero in the beginning of the film.
- Bille August

India saw from the beginning, and, even in her ages of reason and her age of increasing ignorance, she never lost hold of the insight, that life cannot be rightly seen in the sole light, cannot be perfectly lived in the sole power of its externalities.
- Sri Aurobindo

Vanity was the beginning and the end of Sir Walter Eliot's character; vanity of person and of situation.
- Jane Austen

Every revolution seems impossible at the beginning, and after it happens, it was inevitable.
- Bill Ayers

Most musicians count at the beginning, and never count and talk to their musicians after that. They only talk to them at the end of the song. But I would count with them and talk.
- Roy Ayers

I used to tremble from nerves so badly that the only way I could hold my head steady was to lower my chin practically to my chest and look up at Bogie. That was the beginning of The Look.
- Lauren Bacall

Right at the beginning, before the pianist could get her wheels up and fly into that storm, she was hit with a con brio, which I figured meant she had to play either with brightness, with coldness, or with cheese.
- Richard Bach

Christianity was from the beginning, essentially and fundamentally, life's nausea and disgust with life, merely concealed behind, masked by, dressed up as, faith in "another" or "better" life.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

it manifests itself. When, for instance, an aristocracy like that of France at the beginning of the Revolution
- Friedrich Nietzsche

It was only Christianity, with resentment against life in its foundations, which made sexuality something impure: it threw filth on the beginning, on the prerequisite of our life
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Faith in the self-attesting Christ of Scripture is the beginning, not the end result of wisdom.
- Greg L Bahnsen

In the beginning I thought, and still think, he did great good in giving support and encouragement to this movement. But I did not believe then, and have never believed since, that these ills can be settled by partisan political methods. They are moral and economic questions.
- Ray Stannard Baker

If you are going to be a writer there is nothing I can say to stop you; if you're not going to be a writer nothing I can say will help you. What you really need at the beginning is somebody to let you know that the effort is real.
- James Baldwin

The old man sang for a while, and Mora felt in her head the beginning of a long siege. A wilderness had crept up around a walled town, and the darkness of old woods and far-off places began to grow then, even within sight of where men walked together.
By this she meant in her heart that all the useless things one remembers well just before waking and forgets just after were in fact very important and perhaps all that stood now between herself and oblivion.
- Jesse Ball

What of art?" she asked.
"It is a malady."
"Love?"
"An illusion."
"Religion?"
"The fashionable substitute for belief."
"You are a sceptic."
"Never! Scepticism is the beginning of faith."
"What are you"
"To defne is to limit.
- Oscar Wilde

What of Art?
-It is a malady.
--Love?
-An Illusion.
--Religion?
-The fashionable substitute for Belief.
--You are a sceptic.
-Never! Scepticism is the beginning of Faith.
--What are you?
-To define is to limit.
- Oscar Wilde

... No woman should have a memory. Memory in a woman is the beginning of dowdiness. One can always tell from a woman's bonnet whether she has got a memory or not.
- Oscar Wilde

In every sphere of life, form is the beginning of things. [...] Forms are the food of faith, cried Newman in one of those great moments of sincerity that made us admire the know the man. [...] The Creeds are believed, not because they are rational, but because they are repeated.
- Oscar Wilde

To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance.
- Oscar Wilde

Since the beginning, Native Peoples lived a life of being in harmony with all that surrounds us.
- Dennis Banks

I think the American people are very smart in understanding our country is very trustworthy with nuclear weapons. We've had them from the beginning. But they have also been critical for keeping the world more at peace than it would have been if it hadn't been for the American nuclear umbrella.
- Haley Barbour

In the beginning, there was silence. And out of the silence came the sound. The sound is not here.
- Daniel Barenboim

I've learned two things in my life. One that love is the beginning and end of all meaning. And two that it is the same thing whatever shape our souls have taken on this journey. Love is love. Is love.
- Clive Barker

The unendurable is the beginning of the curve of joy.
- Djuna Barnes

Shamefully, all of us have wanted revenge on someone at some point for something. I've lived since before man and buffalo roamed this small planet. I have survived the beginning, bloom, and death of countless enemies, civilizations, and people. And the one truth I have learned most during all of these centuries is the old Japanese proverb. If you sit by the river long enough, you will see the body of your enemy float by.
- Sherrilyn Kenyon

Two is the beginning of the end.
- James M Barrie

For when you looked into my mother's eyes you knew, as if He had told you, why God sent her into the world - it was to open then minds of all who looked to beautiful thoughts. And that is the beginning and end of literature.
- James M Barrie

When the first baby laughed, for the first time, the laugh broke into a thousand peices and they all went skipping about. That was the beginning of faeries.
- James M Barrie

You always know after you are two. Two is the beginning of the end.
- James M Barrie

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop.
- Lewis Carroll

Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.
- Lewis Carroll

I maintain that any writer of a book is fully authorised in attaching any meaning he likes to a word or phrase he intends to use. If I find an author saying, at the beginning of his book, "Let it be understood that by the word 'black' I shall always mean 'white,' and by the word 'white' I shall always mean 'black,'" I meekly accept his ruling, however injudicious I think it.
- Lewis Carroll

There was no "before" the beginning of our universe, because once upon a time there was no time.
- John D Barrow

You would think that, by sheer chance, there would come a time when you daughter's two dances would be close together, ideally near the beginning. But the dance studio makes sure this never happens, using the same computer scheduling program that the cable-TV company uses to make sure that the technician, for whom you have been waiting eleven hours, rings your doorbell only when you have just commenced pooping.
- Dave Barry

There was a beautiful time in the beginning when I just did it and didn't analyze the consequences, but I think that time ends in everyone's work.
- Lynda Barry

You always think you're better than you are in the beginning.
- Todd Barry

To clasp the hands in prayer is the beginning of an uprising against the disorder of the world.
- Karl Barth

To know that one does not write for the other, to know that these things I am going to write will never cause me to be loved by the one I love (the other), to know that writing compensates for nothing, sublimates nothing, that it is precisely there where you are not--this is the beginning of writing.
- Roland Barthes

The beginning of the shows are different. One time we'll say 'Hello, Denver'. Another time we'll say 'Hello, Memphis'. It's always different.
- Lance Bass

Imagine the amazing good fortune of the generation that gets to see the end of the world. This is as marvelous as being there in the beginning.
- Jean Baudrillard

I've always been criticized, right from the beginning! Right from the very first day I was born... They said I wasn't right for the part!
- Charles M Schulz

Sea Change was so specific. From the beginning it was set what it was going to be. All the other ideas that I had at the time I had to put to the side.
- Beck

The end is in the beginning and yet you go on.
- Samuel Beckett

[Many artists], even the greatest ones, are not sure of their own existence. So they search for proof, they judge, they condemn. It strengthens them, it is the beginnings of existence. They are alone!
- Albert Camus

To feel absolutely right is the beginning of the end.
- Albert Camus

The end of THE END is the best place to begin THE END, because if you read THE END from the beginning of the beginning of THE END to the end of the end of THE END, you will arrive at the end.
- Lemony Snicket

There is an old joke that went around- it goes, in the beginning God made man in His own image, and since the fall, man has been seeking to return the compliment.
- Alistair Begg

This fact immediately suggested a singular event - that at some time in the distant past the universe began expanding from an extremely small size. To many people this inference was loaded with overtones of a supernatural event - the creation, the beginning of the universe.
- Michael Behe

Algeria was therefore only the beginning of something that was in development: this is why I say that it's the global capitalist system that finally reacted against us.
- Ahmed Ben Bella

Since ever the world was spinning
And till the world shall end
You've your man in the beginning
Or you have him in the end,
But to have him from start to finish
And neither nor borrow nor lend
Is what all of the girls are wanting
And none of the gods can send
- L M Montgomery

This is the thing to bomb. This is the beginningfrom "I" to "we". If you who own the things people must have could understand this, you might preserve yourself. If you could separate causes from results, if you could know that Paine, Marx, Jefferson, Lenin were results, not causes, you might survive. But that you cannot know. For the quality of owning freezes you forever into "I", and cuts you off forever from the "we".
- John Steinbeck

While I was doing these plays in the beginning, I wasn't getting paid. I thought of it more as a hobby. Then I realized how seriously a lot of these people took what they were doing.
- Tom Berenger

Those newspapers of the nation which most loudly cried dictatorship against me would have been the first to justify the beginnings of dictatorship by somebody else.
- Franklin D Roosevelt

More than an end to war, we want an end to the beginning of all wars - yes, an end to this brutal, inhuman and thoroughly impractical method of settling the differences between governments.
- Franklin D Roosevelt

When we make the cerebral state the beginning of an action, and in no sense the condition of a perception, we place the perceived images of things outside the image of our body, and thus replace perception within the things themselves.
- Henri Bergson

Someone who can search for something is happy. Searching gives a meaning to life. Nowadays it's not so easy to find something you might be looking for. The most important thing, however, is the search itself, the way you take. It's not so important where it leads. that's why my characters are always looking for something, maybe only a cat, a sheep or a wife, but that is at least the beginning of a story.
- Haruki Murakami

I have a million things to talk to you about. All I want in this world is you. I want to see you and talk. I want the two of us to begin everything from the beginning.
- Haruki Murakami

Kumiko and I felt something for each other from the beginning. It was not one of those strong, impulsive feelings that can hit two people like an electric shock when they first meet, but something quieter and gentler, like two tiny lights traveling in tandem through a vast darkness and drawing imperceptibly closer to each other as they go. As our meetings grew more frequent, I felt not so much that I had met someone new as that I had chanced upon a dear old friend.
- Haruki Murakami

Man is not an end but a beginning. We are at the beginning of the second week. We are children of the eighth day.
- Thornton Wilder

From the beginning of the presidential nominating conventions in the 1830's really through the 1950's, you had conventions that actually did real business.
- Michael Beschloss

At the beginning was The Word.
Today I see That in great quotes.
- Toba Beta

In the beginning..
when ray and day hadn't yet come into existence at all,
there was a kind of radiance that illuminates universe.
That radiance is the light of knowledge and goodness.
That radiance will persistently and consistently shines brightly
even after all the stars and moons in this vast universe died out.
- Toba Beta

There are people who desperately want to change the world.
I wonder if it could be measured, because the world is already
in the state of continuously change since the beginning of time.
Or they may just want their names etched nicely on men history.
- Toba Beta

Willingness to possess is the beginning of..love hurts.
- Toba Beta

Smartass Disciple: Master, why God let human did sins in the beginning ?
Master of Stupidity: If the saviour must come, why should He prevent that?
- Toba Beta

I knew of no instruction manual for reaching a higher level of humanity and a greater wisdom. But I felt intuitively that laughter was the beginning of wisdom, as is was indispensable for survival.
- Ingrid Betancourt

God speaks in the silence of the heart
Listening is the beginning of prayer.
- Justin Bieber

Stations were built at intervals averaging fifteen miles apart. A rider's route covered three stations, with an exchange of horses at each, so that he was expected at the beginning to cover close to forty-five miles - a good ride when one must average fifteen miles an hour.
- Buffalo Bill

I have a burden on my soul. During my long life, I did not make anyone happy, neither my friends, nor my family, nor even myself. I have done many evil things...I was the cause of the beginning of three big wars. About 800,000 people were killed because of me on the battlefields., and their mothers, brothers, and widows cried for them. And now this stands between me and God.
- Otto Von Bismarck

The Peking man was a thinking being, standing erect, dating to the beginning of the Ice Age.
- Davidson Black

The outcome, the fourth in an issue of five boys born into a staunch Baptist home, meant that from the beginning I was taught to be respectful of others no less than myself, influencing ever since both my political and administrative attitudes.
- James W Black

We all learned in kindergarten that the beginning is a very good place to start. As we have this debate on illegal immigration and illegal entry into this country, let's begin at the very beginning by sealing the borders to this great Nation.
- Marsha Blackburn

Don't solicit feedback on your product, idea or your business just for validation purposes. You want to tell the people who can help move your idea forward, but if you're just looking to your friend, co-worker, husband or wife for validation, be careful. It can stop a lot of multimillion-dollar ideas in their tracks in the beginning.
- Sara Blakely

Death isn't the end, it's the beginning.
- Jennifer Love Hewitt

Like the brief doomed flare of exploding suns that registers dimly on blind men's eyes, the beginning of the horror passed almost unnoticed; in the shriek of what followed, in fact, was forgotten and perhaps not connected to the horror at all.
- William Peter Blatty

There is a woman at the beginning of all great things.
- Alan Bleasdale

What is supposed to be the very essence of Judaism - which is the notion that it is by study that you make yourself a holy people - is nowhere present in Hebrew tradition before the end of the first or the beginning of the second century of the Common Era.
- Harold Bloom

I'm still at the beginning of my career. It's all a little new, and I'm still learning as I go.
- Orlando Bloom

What's the point of thinking about how it's going to end when it's just the beginning?
- Judy Blume

It was the biggest suppression of voting rights in our country's history since Jim Crow. And the thread of race runs from the beginning to the end of my book.
- Sidney Blumenthal

The beginning of love is a horror of emptiness.
- Robert Bly

I do love the beginning of the summer hols,' said Julian. They always seem to stretch out ahead for ages and ages.'
'They go so nice and slowly at first,' said Anne, his little sister. 'Then they start to gallop.
- Enid Blyton

The study of history is the beginning of political wisdom.
- Jean Bodin

Man no longer lives in the beginning--he has lost the beginning. Now he finds he is in the middle, knowing neither the end nor the beginning, and yet knowing that he is in the middle, coming from the beginning and going towards the end. He sees that his life is determined by these two facets, of which he knows only that he does not know them
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer

For we cannot speak of the beginning; where the beginning begins our thinking stops, it comes to an end.
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer

It is God's earth out of which man is taken. From it he has his body. His body belongs to his essential being. Man's body is not his prison, his shell his exterior, but man himself. Man does not "have" a body; he does not "have" a soul; rather he "is" body and soul. Man in the beginning is really his body. He is one. He is his body, as Christ is completely his body, as the Church is the body of Christ
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer

No one can speak of the beginning but the one who was in the beginning. Thus the Bible begins with God's free affirmation, free acknowledgment, free revelation of himself: In the beginning God created..
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer

This emergency spending measure is certainly only the beginning, since we here in Washington will continue to work closely with the president and emergency agencies to ensure they continue receiving the funding they need.
- Jo Bonner

If the Gospels were truly the pattern of God's activity, then defeat was only the beginning.
- Corrie Ten Boom

If I could live again - I will travel light,
If I could live again - I'll try to work bare feet
at the beginning of spring till
the end of autumn,
I'll ride more carts,
I'll watch more sunrises..
- Jorge Luis Borges

At the beginning of human history, as we struggled to light fires and to chisel fallen trees into rudimentary canoes, who could have predicted that long after we had managed to send men to the moon and areoplanes to Australasia, we would still have such trouble knowing how to tolerate ourselves, forgive our loved ones, and apologise for our tantrums?
- Alain De Botton

How quickly all the advantages of technological civilisation are wiped out by a domestic squabble. At the beginning of human history, as we struggled to light fires and to chisel fallen trees into rudimentary canoes, who could have predicted that long after we had managed to send men to the moon and aeroplanes to Australasia, we would still have trouble knowing how to tolerate ourselves, forgive our loved ones and apologise for our tantrums?
- Alain De Botton

But at the beginning, our definition of the genocide was what happened to Armenia in 1917 or 1919, it's happened to the Jew in Europe, and we were not realizing - In our point of view, they have not the tools to do a genocide.
- Boutros Boutrosghali

Actors want to impress at the beginning, so you take advantage of that by suddenly saying, 'Right, you're here for two weeks.' What you're doing is creating a siege mentality.
- Danny Boyle

I wouldn't know where to start."
"He who chooses the beginning of the road chooses the place it leads to."
"Thoreau?"
"Harry Emerson Fosdick..
- Kami Garcia

To know you are ignorant is the beginning of wisdom.
- Marion Zimmer Bradley

I conclude, therefore, that this star is not some kind of comet or a fiery meteor... but that it is a star shining in the firmament itself one that has never previously been seen before our time, in any age since the beginning of the world.
- Tycho Brahe

I find it difficult to judge myself, but people say that I have become a bit more socially acceptable over the years in terms of my material; which apparently at the beginning - though I never really intended it to be - was man hating and now is just a bit more cuddly.
- Jo Brand

So, my style has hopefully changed over the years and it is more relaxed, and I do tend to smile and have more than one expression these days hopefully - which I didn't at the beginning.
- Jo Brand

Steve and I saw eye to eye on the story and I got the part, but I think in the beginning it was due to my brother's instigation. So I owe him for that.
- Beau Bridges

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bass Player Quotes

I always just wanted to be the singer or the bass player in the band. I'd love to have a band, where I was obviously the singer, but where it wasn't me, it wasn't my name. - Bryan Adams In jazz, you listen to what the bass player is doing and what the drummer is doing, what the pianist and the guitarist is doing, and then you play something that compliments that, so you are thinking simultaneously and thinking ahead. - David Amram I can understand why some of these drummers and bass players become cult figures with all of their equipment and the incredible amount of technique they have. But there's very little that I think satisfies you intellectually or emotionally. - Ken Burns Jack Bruce, as soon as I saw him, it changed me. I didn't even know what bass players did until I saw Cream. - Geezer Butler Bass players are always the intellectual kind, but nobody knows it. - Stanley Clarke There are a lot of people who can do it on the guitar and sing at the same t...

Fat Person Quotes

She was convinced that she was anorexic, because every time she looked in the mirror she did indeed see a fat person. - Terry Pratchett I sensed immediately that he'd once been overweight. He moved with a fat person's tiptoey apology. - Jennifer Egan I feel self-conscious calling my cat fat in front of a fat person, considering I'm skinny and inconsiderate. - Jarod Kintz I call myself a FFP: former fat person, and when you're an FFP, you will always see in yourself what people used to bully you for. - Kelly Osbourne Well you know, it's true that as a fat person I run a greater risk of heart disease, diabetes, and a number of other things. But guess what? The amount of that risk is almost infinitessimal! - Daniel Pinkwater