Skip to main content

When I Was Young Quotes

When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened or not.
- Mark Twain

My father is an actor, so he brought me into his agency when I was young. It wasn't something I wanted to do until high school, when I started taking theater and really liked it. Then an agent found me and wanted me to come out to Los Angeles and give it a shot. I gave myself six months, but it only took me like a week to get a job.
- Jensen Ackles

And when I was young, did I ever tell you, I always wanted to get inside
a book and never come out again? I loved reading so much I wanted
to be a part of it, and there were some books I could have stayed in
for ever.
- Peter Ackroyd

You know," said Arthur, "it's at times like this, when I'm trapped in a Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse, and about to die of asphyxiation in deep space that I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was young."
"Why, what did she tell you?"
"I don't know, I didn't listen.
- Douglas Adams

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. - T-SHIRT
- Darynda Jones

I don't know French at all. I took some lessons when I was younger but all I know are the numbers. I've been told basically everyone in Monaco speaks English because of it being a huge vacation spot so I'm excited about that. I might not need to learn French after all.
- Freddy Adu

I'm busy doing my job, and being a loudmouth doesn't appeal to me as much as when I was younger and had the youthful delusion that I was smarter than everybody else.
- Steve Albini

When I was young, I was dazzled by all the things life could offer me. I thought I was capable of achieving all of them.
- Paulo Coelho

I think the older I get the more creative I get, I don't have the distractions that I had when I was younger.
- Marc Almond

When I was younger, there was a huge gap between what I wanted to do and what I could do as an idol.
- Namie Amuro

I don't miss scenes at all the way that I used to miss them when I was younger making a film. It's actually quite fun to get rid of them now.
- Paul Thomas Anderson

When I look back, I am so impressed again with the life-giving power of literature. If I were a young person today, trying to gain a sense of myself in the world, I would do that again by reading, just as I did when I was young.
- Maya Angelou

My nickname is The Fonz. My sister Lori nicknamed me it when I was younger and it stuck.
- Nicole Appleton

When I was younger I was obsessed with writing, so even if I wanted to listen, I didn't have time.
- Joan Armatrading

I mean I constantly had security guards around me when I was younger and I wasn't allowed to go to the mall with a lot of my friends and stuff like that. And so, when I finally was able to sneak out, I would just really, really take it to the next level.
- Nicole Richie

Whenever I'm out late she makes a sandwich for my school lunch. I always protest and tell her not to, saying I'll make my own when I get home. But she likes it. She says it reminds her of when I was younger and needed her.
- Jay Asher

When I was younger, I used to think that loving someone meant being weak. I thought it meant giving yourself up and losing your identity, and becoming just an other to someone else. I thought that only those who weren't strong enough to stand on their own needed someone to lean on. I never realized that love is as much about giving strength as accepting it, and that love doesn't mean that you can't stand on your own, but only that now you can fly.
- J Leigh Bralick

When I was young in L.A. and I couldn't get into clubs or restaurants, I would call imitating celebrities and get a table, and it would work often. I was either Stallone or Mickey Rourke: 'This is Sly. I may be late, but my buddy Hank will be there early.'
- Hank Azaria

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is.
- Oscar Wilde

I listened a little to punk when I was younger, but it was straight edge punk. It was nothing like what is going on now, like poppy punk.
- Travis Barker

When you're young - when I was young - you want your emotions to be like the ones you read about in books. You want them to overturn your life, create and define a new reality. Later, I think, you want them to do something milder, something more practical: you want them to support your life as it is and has become. You want them to tell you that things are OK. And is there anything wrong with that?
- Julian Barnes

When I was younger, I never thought there could be anything better than the glory of battle. (Sparhawk)
And now? (Taryn)
Now I would much rather coax a smile from your face. (Sparhawk)
- Sherrilyn Kenyon

When I was younger, I was really vain about it. Zarina used to tease me that I looked at my reflection so much that one day the bogeyman was going to come and steal my face. (Adron)
- Sherrilyn Kenyon

The terror and hurt in my story happened because when I was young I thought others were the authors of my fortune or misfortune; I did not know that a person could hold up a wall made of imaginary bricks and mortar against the horrors and cruel, dark tricks of time that assail us, and be the author therefore of themselves.
- Sebastian Barry

I remember being on film sets when I was younger, and only men got to do the cool action movies. So I thought, 'Maybe I'll get to produce one day and get to do cool stuff too,' which is what happened when we did 'Charlie's Angels.' Starting my production company was a big turning point for me.
- Drew Barrymore

I stayed away from mirrors when I was younger and I didn't like having my picture taken. I was tall and had braces and felt ugly.
- Kylie Bax

When I was young, my father used to say, 'If you are alive, there is hope for a better day and something good to happen. If there is nothing good left in the destiny of a person, he or she will die.' I thought about these words during my journey, and they kept me moving even when I didn't know where I was going. Those words became the vehicle that drove my spirit forward and made it stay alive.
- Ishmael Beah

When I was young, I used to hear people say, 'He's a golden boy. Look at that guy. Can you imagine what he's going to be like when he grows up?' Well, I unfortunately bought into that. And I hadn't even found myself. Quite honestly, I was running from myself. But I knew how to work Top 40 radio.
- Glenn Beck

When I was young I asked more of people than they could give: everlasting friendship, endless feeling.
Now I know to ask less of them than they can give: a straightforward companionship. And their feelings, their friendship, their generous actions seem in my eyes to be wholly miraculous: a consequence of grace alone.
- Albert Camus

When I was young, I expected from people more than they could give: neverending friendship and constant excitement.
Now I expect less than they can actually can give: to stay close silently. And their feelings, friendship, noble deeds always seem like a miracle to me: a true grace.
- Albert Camus

When I was younger I used to get my best writing done at night, but now it has to be during the day. I usually finish work at half past seven, then go back to the house to open a bottle of wine, have dinner, and then read or watch television.
- Antony Beevor

When I was younger, I had no interest. But after I went to Paris to see the collections for the first time a few years ago, they made a huge impression on me. I realized that fashion is an art form, like acting or painting.
- Camilla Belle

I had six silly tattoos done when I was young and I bitterly regret them. I've thought about laser surgery, but that leaves a scar, so I'm just leaving them.
- Andre Benjamin

He painted me when I was young because he was in love with me, but now that he has loved me he doesn't paint me anymore.
- Jane Birkin

When I was young, I just sat down and started playing Chopsticks at the piano. I got so far and then lost interest. Eventually, I regained it and started writing songs.
- Otis Blackwell

It's true that I suffered a lot, especially when I was younger.
- Andrea Bocelli

When I was younger, studying classical music, I really had to put in the time. Three hours a day is not even nice - you have to put in six.
- Alicia Keys

Mistakes can be profited by Man, when i was young I showed my ignorance in people's faces. They beat me with sticks. By the time I was forty my blunt instrument had been honed to a fine cutting point for me. If you hide your ignorance, no one will hit you and you'll never learn.
- Ray Bradbury

You're afraid of making mistakes. Don't be. Mistakes can be profited by. Man, when I was young I shoved my ignorance in people's faces. They beat me with sticks. By the time I was forty my blunt instrument had been honed to a fine cutting point for me. If you hide your ignorance, no one will hit you and you'll never learn.
- Ray Bradbury

I thought of my mother late that night, after leaving Dorothy, as I followed the moon's path back home across the Moose River. My mother, maybe she was in that moon's light. I didn't know any more, but when I was younger, Iuse to imagine that she was. I'd talk to the moon some nights, and I knew my mother listened. I haven't done that in a long time, me. -Through Black Spruce, Joseph Boyden, ch 13, pg 119
- Joseph Boyden

When my dad was young he shot marbles. When I was young I played Marble Madness on my Nintendo Entertainment System.
- Kevin James Breaux

It bothers me that I won't live to see the end of the century, because, when I was young, in St. Louis, I remember saying to Marilyn, my sister by adoption, that that was how long I wanted to live: seventy years.
- Harold Brodkey

It would have been very impossible to deal with this attention when I was younger. I'm thrilled with the success, but at this point I also think it's hilariously silly.
- Julie Brown

When I was young, I observed that nine out of ten things I did were failures. So I did ten times more work.
- George Bernard Shaw

When I was young, I was so interested in baseball that my family was afraid I'd waste my life and be a pitcher. Later they were afraid I'd waste my life and be a poet. They were right.
- Robert Frost

When I was young I was depressed all the time. But suicide no longer seemed a possibility in my life. At my age there was very little left to kill. It was good to be old, no matter what they said. It was reasonable that a man had to be at least 50 years old before he could write with anything like clarity.
- Charles Bukowski

As we grow older I always think, why didn't I do more when I was young, why didn't I risk more?
- Chuck Palahniuk

When I was young, I wanted to do something more low-key, like become a drummer in a rock band.
- Brooke Burke

I'm a character actor, and I made a choice when I was young, after 'Mystic Pizza', not to go for the mainstream stuff, and to do a more eclectic kind of route.
- Vincent Donofrio

When I was younger I used to pick things just to face the fear.
- Vincent Donofrio

Ah! gay the day with shine of sun,
and bright the breeze, and blithe the
throng
Met on the River-bank to play,
when I was young, when I was young
- Richard Francis Burton

Well, when I was younger, I lied all the time, because once you understand the power of lying, it's really like magic because you transform reality for people.
- Louis C K

Perhaps people, and kids especially, are spoiled today, because all the kids today have cars, it seems. When I was young you were lucky to have a bike.
- James Cagney

I appreciate what I have a lot more than I did when I was younger.
- Aaron Carter

Well when I was young, when I was very young, when I was a little boy I don't remember the music I heard, but there was an article in the Brooklyn Daily written by my Aunt about how I could choose phonograph records.
- Elliott Carter

When I was young I had so many inferiority complexes. I had an inferiority complex because I didn't go to university. I had an inferiority complex because I didn't train. Then it gets tiring. And you do get bored of it.
- Helena Bonham Carter

When I was younger it was twice a day with a game on the weekend. Then when I got older, three times a day everyday in college and on the national team.
- Brandi Chastain

When I was younger, I used to vacillate between thinking love was this great and glorious mystery and thinking it was just something a bunch of Hollywood move producers made up to sell more tickets in the Depression, when Dish Night kind of played out.
Eddie laughed.
Now I think that all of us are born with a hole in our hearts, and we go around looking for the person who can fill it. You...Eddie, you fill me up.
- Stephen King

When I was younger I used to be devastated if I would lose.
- Kim Clijsters

I am an old scholar, better-looking now than when I was young. That's what sitting on your ass does to your face.
- Leonard Cohen

When I was younger, I craved friendship and closeness. I make bonds without acknowledging how quickly and permanently they would break. I took people lives' personally. I felt their friends could be my friends, their parents could be their parents. But after awhile, I had to stop. It was too heartbreaking to live with too many separations.
- David Levithan

I couldn't do country, with all due respect to all country music artists. My parents dressed me up with a cowboy hat and we'd go to the rodeo when I was younger and it traumatized me for life.
- Chris Colfer

I was raised a Christian, but I wouldn't call myself a Christian now. I think when I was younger it was easier to focus on the negative, nihilist vision... this is sort of picking up on the other half of the body, which is God and white light.
- Billy Corgan

When I was young and we got caught pinching apples, we got a smack from the local policeman. Today if that happened he would be sued. There is a tendency to punish the victim, not the criminal. If someone broke into my house or my mum's house, I worry that the burglar has more rights than me.
- Simon Cowell

When I was young, I had to learn the fundamentals of basketball. You can have all the physical ability in the world, but you still have to know the fundamentals.
- Michael Jordan

I knew how I sounded - slow and oafish, like the cousin who gets ditched and goes on playing alone, as if he'd planned it that way. I couldn't quite tell her about the daily beauty, how I didn't tire of seeing 6 a.m. light on the telephone wires. When I was younger, I'd expected to grow out of the gap between the self I knew and what I heard myself say. I'd expected to feel more like one single person.
- Michael Cunningham

I didn't like fairy tales when I was younger. I found a lot of fairy tales scary. They really didn't sit well with me.
- Amanda Seyfried

When I was younger, I had big visions of changing the world.
- Rick Danko

I wanted to be a set designer when I was young.
- Judi Dench

There is nothing on earth that could ever make me want to relive certain years of my life when I was young.
- Johnny Depp

And being away and not performing for a long time and really connecting with my audience for a long time, I have a great responsibility to myself and to them to do it exactly the way the process was when I was young.
- Jackie Deshannon

My dad's probably one of the kindest people in the world. When I was younger that's not how I was- I was a little spoiled brat.
- Leonardo Dicaprio

When I was young, I used to have this thing where I wanted to see everything. I used to think 'How can I die without seeing every inch every inch of this world?
- Leonardo Dicaprio

What was bizarre, when I was younger, I never watched TV. I would rather watch a movie 100 times than to watch a TV show, just to find another nuance. I can't tell you how many times I've watched 'On the Waterfront', just to find a flaw so that I can learn and try to improve my thing.
- Vin Diesel

I've never had a very closely connected family. My parents split up when I was young and I was living with my mom for a little while, then I was kind of just on my own really young. It wasn't some kind of global tragedy, it was just never really a very close-knit family. So there was support in the sense that they didn't stand in my way.
- Ani Difranco

My parents used to take me to a lot of theatre when I was young.
- Lexa Doig

I think reading Shakespeare's plays when I was young was extremely important. He had the ability to make utter strangers come alive.
- Rita Dove

When I was young, I had to choose between the life of being and the life of doing. And I leapt at the latter like a trout to a fly. But each deed you do, each act, binds you to itself and to its consequences, and makes you act again and yet again. Then very seldom do you come upon a space, a time like this, between act and act, when you may stop and simply be. Or wonder who, after all, you are.
- Ursula K Le Guin

Try to choose carefully, Arren, when the great choices must be made. When I was young, I had to choose between the life of being and the life of doing. And I leapt at the latter like a trout to a fly. But each deed you do, each act, binds you to itself and to its consequences, and makes you act again and yet again. Then very seldom do you come upon a space, a time like this, between act and act, when you may stop and simply be. Or wonder who, after all, you are.
- Ursula K Le Guin

Even though I pretty much made my own decisions early on, when I was younger I tended to overbook my life.
- Sheena Easton

I was influenced when I was younger by the cartoon movies that Disney put out, like Cinderella and what not. I watched those movies over and over when I was younger and the music is ingrained into my head. Nowadays, I'm still humming the tunes. It taught me the fundamentals.
- Zac Efron

When I was young and had no sense
In far-off Mandalay
I lost my heart to a Burmese girl
As lovely as the day.
Her skin was gold, her hair was jet,
her teeth were ivory;
I said, "For twenty silver pieces,
Maiden, sleep with me."
She looked at me, so pure, so sad,
The loveliest thing alive,
And in her lisping, virgin voice,
Stood out for twenty-five.
- George Orwell

Mum must have liked younger men; she'd certainly liked me better when I was younger. In One Person.
- John Irving

When I was younger, I was a robot. Wind her up and she plays tennis.
- Chris Evert

Everyone has a different path. I knew no one in the acting industry growing up. I never did a play until college. I was not outspoken when I was younger and I hated being the center of attention. But I had a dream of being an actor. I went to NYU and studied theatre. I learned a craft. And began my career straight out of college.
- Peter Facinelli

When I was younger I saw a movie called 'Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid' with Paul Newman and Robert Redford. Those two actors and that movie was my inspiration to want to be an actor.
- Peter Facinelli

I can remember how when I was young I believed death to be a phenomenon of the body; now I know it to be merely a function of the mind -- and that of the minds who suffer the bereavement. The nihilists say it is the end; the fundamentalists, the beginning; when in reality it is no more than a single tenant or family moving out of a tenement or a town.
- William Faulkner

The serve, I was too young and too small and... not enough powerful to have a good serve when I was young, so my forehand was always my signature shot. So I used to always run around my backhand, you know, use my forehand as much as I could, and so that's why I think it's my strength also today, you know.
- Roger Federer

When I was younger, I was always obsessed with nails.
- Serena Williams

When I was younger, I think I intimidated people much more because I was far more insecure.
- Claire Forlani

When I was younger, I used to be super, super shy. I still find myself being scared of things.
- Vanessa Hudgens

My mother, who was quite sharp when I was young, became utterly mild.
- Antonia Fraser

Every bit of me is devoted to love and art. And I aspire to try to be a teacher to my young fans who feel just like I felt when I was younger. I just felt like a freak. I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm trying to liberate them, I want to free them of their fears and make them feel that they can make their own space in the world.
- Lady Gaga

When I was young I was a fool. So wrap me up in dreams and death.
- Neil Gaiman

My first interest was always music, and somehow that channelled itself into films and acting. I don't know what the natural transition of it was. I mean I acted a little bit when I was young and like any kid would in a community theatre.
- Andy Garcia

I played football in high school, I played baseball when I was younger, things like that, but I think it was the passion I had for track where you want to do an individual sport and be the best, I think - there's nothing that can replace that.
- Tyson Gay

I'd always thought the Rats were good fun, but one of the very nice things about being of Saga age is that I can actually look back and think, When I was younger I was in a great band. It was always a collective thing.
- Bob Geldof

If I'm a guy who doesn't seem so merry,
It's just because I'm so misunderstood.
When I was young I ate a dictionary,
And that did not do me a bit of good.
For I've absorbed so many words and phrases
They drive me dizzy when I want to speak.
I start explaining but each person gazes
As if I spoke in Latin or in Greek.
- Ira Gershwin

I used to be, when I was young, I used to be extremely regular and very organized.
- Tony Gilroy

When I was young, poverty was so common that we didn't know it had a name.
- Lyndon B Johnson

Hesitation is a mistake that invites defeat. I would not be Mord-Sith had I not hesitated when I was young. - Cara
- Terry Goodkind

When I was Younger, I wanted to be something.Now, I just want to be younger.
- Joseph Gordon Levitt

I was such a big Dustin Hoffman fan when I was young.
- Joseph Gordonlevitt

I am much less autistic now, compared to when I was young. I remember some behaviors like picking carpet fuzz and watching spinning plates for hours. I didn't want to be touched. I couldn't shut out background noise. I didn't talk until I was about 4 years old. I screamed. I hummed. But as I grew up, I improved.
- Temple Grandin

When I was younger, before this layoff which has nearly finished me, I hitchhiked one hundred and twenty-seven hours without stopping, without food or sleep, crossed the continent twice in six days, cooled my thumbs in both oceans and caught rides after midnight on unlighted highways, such was my skill, persuasion, rhythm. I set records and immediately cracked them; went farther, faster than any hitchhiker before or since.
- Tom Robbins

When I was young I was one of the second generation of black people in Holland. My father was the first. My mother was white, and living with a black man at that time and having a how-you-say half-caste boy is not easy.
- Ruud Gullit

When I was young, I was just about hard work. But as I got older, I did experience anxiety, doubt, judgment, and it's so easy to lose yourself for a second.
- Jennifer Lopez

When I was younger, I'd wanted someone to promise me that things would work out and nothing bad would ever happen again. But I understood now that that was a child's wish. No one could promise that. No one. The grown-ups could try, but they couldn't promise, not and mean it.
- Laurell K Hamilton

I could sit there and eat pasta all day long and not worry about it when I was younger, and now I really have to focus on making sure I set a good example for my kids.
- Mia Hamm

When I was younger it was - you know, my dad dressed up in drag on 'Bosom Buddies.' And that was what I was having to deal with at the time. And then around the time that I was into college was when he became statue-worthy I guess you could say.
- Colin Hanks

I wasn't aware of my dad being an actor when I was young. I remember there was an Australian children's entertainer on television called Ralph Harris and when I'd say my father was an actor, kids would say, you know, 'oh, is he Ralph Harris?' And I had to say no and then they would lose interest.
- Jared Harris

By the time I came out, that kind of stopped it. The bullying stopped when I claimed myself and proved that I wasn't afraid. A lot of it was when I was hiding when I was younger.
- Randy Harrison

That was the impetus for me to do music or art, because I knew if I didn't try when I was young, then I would get to be in my 40's and I'd be really unhappy that I hadn't.
- Debbie Harry

I'm not a huge drama person. I think I liked them more when I was younger.
- Noah Hathaway

When I was young, I told my sister that she had chunky thighs. She slapped me and I cried. She feels bad about it to this day, but I feel worse.
- Jon Heder

The people who had the most impact on me when I was young were Freud and Darwin, but growing up I also had my film idols.
- Hugh Hefner

I have to say that when I was young, when any politician was talking I wasn't even interested. Maybe they were saying some nice stuff, but then if you put Michael Jordan on TV, I was interested!
- Thierry Henry

When I was younger I was trying to do what I wanted to do, not what the game wanted me to do.
- Thierry Henry

It was tough at the time but when I was younger, my Dad. I would say my Dad, because without him I wouldn't have been here. I mean it was tough for me because he was really demanding. With him, it was never enough, you know, anything I did was never enough.
- Thierry Henry

When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for having been there.
- Jim Henson

I'm a thinker. That is what I do, in great depth and detail, every waking moment of the day. I like to believe it's worthwhile. And yet, I can't help but recall something... said to me once when I was young: "All of these things with which we occupy ourselves don't amount to much in the cosmic scale of things, do they? No matter how extensively we ponder any particular topic, there is really very little there"--Gilbertus Albans, Reflections in the Mirror of the Mind
- Brian Herbert

When I was young and bold and strong,
The right was right, the wrong was wrong.
With plume on high and flag unfurled,
I rode away to right the world.
But now I'm old - and good and bad,
Are woven in a crazy plaid.
I sit and say the world is so,
And wise is s/he who lets it go.
- Dorothy Parker

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
- Abraham Joshua Heschel

When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people.
- Abraham Joshua Heschel

When I was younger, my family would go camping and fishing on our ranches. My dad loves being around all kinds of animals. He's the one who got me to be a really big animal lover.
- Paris Hilton

And when I was young, my family was perfectly nice. I write a lot about it, as you noticed. But it was rather limited. I think, I don't think anyone in my family would really feel I'd done them an injustice by saying that. We didn't see many people. There were many books. It was as if I wanted to get away from home.
- Christopher Hitchens

You know, you can make a small mistake in language or etiquette in Britain, or you could when I was younger, and really be made to feel it, and it's the flick of a lash, but it would sting, and especially at school where there's not much privacy, and so on. You could, yes, undoubtedly be made to feel crushed.
- Christopher Hitchens

When I was young, the old regarded me as an outrageous young fellow, and now that I'm old the young regard me as an outrageous old fellow.
- Fred Hoyle

When I was younger, I had a perm, and it was really big. My mom was a hairdresser, so even my dad had a perm! I looked like a poodle, but it was cool at the time.
- Heidi Klum

I've realized how precious life is. When I was younger, I was more adventurous. I felt invincible. I was game for everything. As a mom, I don't want to get injured because then I can't take care of my kids.
- Kristi Yamaguchi

When I was younger, I thought you had to be in control of your own life. That takes a lot of discipline, hard work and focus. You just can't let it all fall by the wayside. Later on, I learned that God is really in control of everything. But you still have to put your best foot forward and be the best you can possibly be.
- Janet Jackson

I was very shy when I was younger. But I did have a terrible temperament. I would get angry very quickly, but the rest of the time I was this big goofball, playing the drums in a band and making out with girls.
- Jeremy Renner

When I was young and miserable and pretty
And poor, I'd wish
What all girls wish: to have a husband,
A house and children. Now that I'm old, my wish
Is womanish:
That the boy putting groceries in my car
See me.
- Randall Jarrell

When I was young I wanted so much to be like her. What a blessing are those moments when there is nothing to worry about, no thought of trouble or grief in the world.
- Belinda Jeffrey

You cannot blame porn. When I was young, I used to masturbate to Gilligan's Island.
- Ron Jeremy

When I was younger, my coach, Liang Chow, made all the decisions. I would go to the gym for practice, do exactly what Chow told me to do, go home, come back and start all over again. If Chow told me to do 50 squat jumps, I did 50 squat jumps.
- Shawn Johnson

I was inspired by a lot of people when I was young. Every band that came through town, to the theater, or the dance hall. I was at every dance, every night club, listened to every band that came through, because in those days we didn't have MTV, we didn't have television.
- Quincy Jones

When I was young, I loved summer and hated winter. When I got older I loved winter and hated summer. Now that I'm even older, and wiser, I hate both summer and winter.
- Jarod Kintz

They took away what should have been my eyes (but I remembered Milton's Paradise). They took away what should have been my ears, (Beethoven came and wiped away my tears) They took away what should have been my tongue, (but I had talked with god when I was young) He would not let them take away my soul, possessing that I still possess the whole.
- Helen Keller

I was thrilled one year when I was younger when not only did my brothers get hockey sticks for Christmas - but I did too!
- Nancy Kerrigan

When I was younger, I used to hate Germany. I hated the country, the people, the language, the culture, everything! But over the years I've grown to really appreciate the German people.
- Anthony Kiedis

It seems that our brave new world is becoming less tolerant, spiritual and educated than it ever was when I was young.
- Lemmy Kilmister

Something settiled inside me, something heavy and hard. It stayed there, and i could not think of one thing to make it go away. I thought, So this must be living, this must be the beginning of the time people later refer to as 'years ago, when I was young'.
- Jamaica Kincaid

I used to dance when I was younger - ballet and modern dance.
- Nastassja Kinski

She's everything I wanted when I was young and everything I distrust now that I'm not.
- Walter Kirn

My dad was a sports writer when I was younger and then he became just a general columnist. But I grew up with him literally getting into brawls with football coaches.
- Amy Klobuchar

When I was younger, I always dreamed of being a legend, to be remembered in figure skating.
- Michelle Kwan

I spent a lot of time on farms when I was young. My uncle and my dad owned a big farm.
- Emeril Lagasse

When I was young, I used to be so jealous of other girls that it crippled me.
- Anne Lamott

I wanted to be a doctor when I was young. I also wanted to be a paramedic, but I always wanted to be an actor as well. I didn't have kids or something that I needed to provide for.
- Christopher Parker

When I was younger and studying acting, I never ever saw myself in the sitcom world; it was drama that really turned me on and still does.
- Matt Leblanc

When I was young, my idea was to become a filmmaker.
- Patrice Leconte

There is a big age gap between my sisters Janice and Irma and myself so I didn't know them that well when I was younger although they have been very supportive in later life.
- Alvin Lee

When I was young, I asked my priest how to get to heaven and still protect yourself from all the evil in the world. He told me what God told His children;'You are sheep among wolves, be wise as the serpent, yet innocent as doves.
- Dennis Lehane

When I was younger I was completely without money - when I was studying in Budapest, when I was a refugee.
- Gyorgy Ligeti

I was a little troublemaker. Always trying to get in trouble, always mischief, like throwing rocks at cars when I was younger, all that kind of stuff.
- Ryan Lochte

I've been in love with you for weeks.'
There's no such thing,' she says. 'It's a rhetorical device. It's a bourgeois fallacy.'
Haven't you ever been in love, then?'
When I was younger,' she says, 'I allowed myself to be constructed by the discourse of romantic love for a while, yes.'
What the hell does that mean?'
We aren't essences, Vic. We aren't unique individual essences existing prior to language. There is only language.
- David Lodge

I played guitar when I was young and never really considered it as a way to make a living.
- Lyle Lovett

But I'd rather look back and regret something I did when I was young and crazy, than look back and regret something I never had the courage to do, and realize it's too late.
- Cherrie Lynn

I'd rather look back and regret something I did when I was young and crazy, than look back and regret something I never had the courage to do, and realize it's too late
- Cherrie Lynn

When I was young, a teacher had forbidden me to say "more perfect" because she said if a thing is perfect it can't be more so. But by now I had seen enough of life to have regained my confidence in it.
- Norman Maclean

Even when I was young, playing college football, and I injured my knee, I bounced right back.
- Lee Majors

You know what, the drummer is my manager. He's busy. And I'm busy. I don't need the dough, though. But having said that, there's a limit to how much bad music I wanna play. I did it when I was young, and some of the music was OK, but it wasn't great.
- Aimee Mann

When I was young I knew I was deaf. I couldn't accept it.
- Marlee Matlin

I think my grandmother saw my potential first. When I was young, I told her, 'I think I should get a job.' She said, 'No, just keep boxing.'
- Floyd Mayweather Jr

It's a compulsion. I'm always changing parts of me. Even when I was young, I wanted to change my hair color. I was so determined that I dyed my hair with Kool-Aid.
- Rachel Mcadams

I have my good days and my bad days, but I don't have as much energy as I used to back when I was young and foolish and didn't count the cost - and it takes a lot - to write.
- Anne Mccaffrey

So something about that touched me, obviously, when I was young and it just stayed with me. I'm always amazed by that, because my experience seems to be so much different than what I'm told, so much of the time.
- Andrew Mccarthy

And I know when I was younger, and still, I always marvel at what I feel is different from what I'm told that I'm supposed to feel.
- Andrew Mccarthy

I think I was very lucky that I didn't get well-known until my early thirties. If it had happened when I was younger, you might have seen me falling out of nightclubs. I think I conducted myself as a much better human being because I was already married when all that came along (I got married five months after I got the role as Will).
- Eric Mccormack

I sort of feel like music saved my life when I was young. This is the one thing that I knew I was good at.
- Sarah Mclachlan

I'm not embarrassed about the novels I wrote when I was younger, but I couldn't write them today because of my religion.
- Louise Mensch

When I was young, we were taught not to dunk. We were taught not to stand out from the rest of the team. It's different now.
- Yao Ming

My father taught me to paint when I was young with watercolors and so I learned at a very young age the essential elements of the value of light and composition.
- Matthew Modine

You think you're going to chain me to a wall then stand here and tell me why it's okay that I am the way I am? That because of all the crap folks put me through when I was young it's all right that I turned out like this?
Dude, I don't have a problem with how I turned out. I like me.
- Karen Marie Moning

My brother Trevor is theatrically trained. I used to watch him when I was younger and I was in love with it. It just seemed really fun to be someone else. So I begged my mom; she was hesitant, but she eventually allowed me. And it turned out well, I guess.
- Chloe Moretz

I started off as a journalist when I was young and I did not get paid unless I wrote three stories a day.
- Ryan Murphy

Well when I was young, actually not just me, but we were all poor. Korea used to be one of the poorest countries in the world. Despite such circumstances, I was very, very fortunate to be blessed with having parents who always instilled in a spirit of can-do spirit.
- Lee Myungbak

I see a wiser person than when I was younger: having babies, and passing 30, were the turning points. What women in their 40s - I am 39 - lack in gorgeousness, they make up for in wisdom. I love ageing, despite the drawbacks - thinner, drier skin.
- Thandie Newton

Every minute of his life since then has been marked by her absence, every action has lacked dimension because she is not there to measure against. And when I was young I didn't understand, but now, I know, how absence can be present, like a damaged nerve, like a dark bird.
- Audrey Niffenegger

When I was younger, I thought of myself as a Nixon Republican because he was the anti-Communist.
- Grover Norquist

I wanted to be a cattle rancher when I was young, because it was what I knew and I loved it.
- Sandra Day Oconnor

But this upland pass was the right place for remembering how, when I was young, I learned to feel for the harshness underneath every soft appearance.
- Nuala O Faolain

...when I was young, I learned to feel for the harshness under every soft appearance.
- Nuala O Faolain

When I was young, I was told that I had a sulky, pouty face.
- Maureen Ohara

I love my hair. When I was young it had weird kinks and cowlicks in it, but I just grew into it. You grow into a lot of things.
- Sandra Oh

I remember way back when I was young, 10 years ago.
- Charles Olson

When I was young, I had one of those Yamaha drum machines, and I used to practice to that quite a bit, just to practice soloing and being in time and completing all my phrases.
- John Otto

When I was younger, I would go to auditions to have the opportunity to audition, which would mean another chance to get up there and try out my stuff, or try out what I learned and see how it worked with an audience, because where are you gonna get an audience?
- Al Pacino

When I was younger I was fat. I was never conscious of it and was content with who I was because I was so loved. My mother never told me to lose weight and my father doted on me, but my agent told me. I tried, but I loved Indian food too much.
- Archie Panjabi

I went through a whole phase when I was younger of being obsessed with Tolstoy and Kafka and Camus, all those really, beautiful, dark depressing books.
- Jessica Pare

It will be exciting to have my child share my career and to remember what I was like when I was young.
- Candace Parker

I was very against pink and purple when I was young, because they were girls' colors. But that was only because I didn't want people to write me off for what I can do. When I got into my 20s, I decided that was stupid.
- Danica Patrick

I'm more straightforward, and I speak up more than I did before. When I was younger, I wouldn't speak up as much, but now that I'm a mom, things have changed.
- Britney Spears

When I was younger, shopping helped me discover many new places and many new things.
- Miuccia Prada

When I was younger, I used to say, One day I'll be famous.
- Katie Price

There was no respect for youth when I was young, and now that I am old, there is no respect for age, I missed it coming and going.
- J B Priestley

When I was young there was no respect for the young, and now that I am old there is no respect for the old. I missed out coming and going.
- J B Priestley

I used to have seizures when I was young. My mother and father didn't know what to do or how to handle it but they did the best they could with what little they had.
- Prince

What I would do is when I was younger I would draw in a sketch book something that happened in my life and then write a little something on the side about what happened or what the story.
- Robert Redford

I wish I had been more prepared, both for success and for failure, when I was younger.
- Molly Ringwald

Popular posts from this blog

Eye Contact Quotes

If you must eat a banana in public, never make eye contact. - Darynda Jones I hope the two of you will descend from your love bubble long enough to learn something today," he sniped cuttingly and the other kids snickered. Embarrassed, I ducked my head to avoid eye contact with them. "It's all right, sir," Xavier replied. "The bubble's been engineered to allow us to learn from within it. - Alexandra Adornetto The trick is not to make eye contact. They don't charge if you don't make eye contact. - Sarah Addison Allen I'm Emma. I'm here to make you see the meaning of your life. Her exalted words were totally conquered by her dragging tone and lack of eye contact. - Debra Anastasia I glanced at Derek. The boy wonder didn't melt into a pile of goo, although his gaze was glued to Rowena's chest. Avoiding eye contact. Good strategy. - Ilona Andrews So just look mean and don't make eye contact with anyone. (Syn) Gee, hon, you take m

I Did It My Way Quotes

And now, the end is near, And so I face the final curtain. My friend, I'll say it clear, I'll state my case, of which I'm certain. I've lived a life that's full. I've traveled each and every highway; And more, much more than this, I did it my way. - Frank Sinatra You've got to know your limitations. I don't know what your limitations are. I found out what mine were when I was twelve. I found out that there weren't too many limitations, if I did it my way. - Johnny Cash Every comedian dreams of hosting 'The Tonight Show' and, for seven months, I got to. I did it my way, with people I love, and I do not regret a second. - Conan Obrien It doesn't matter that I didn't win a trophy because I did it my way and I lived the dream. - Alan Shearer

Into The Wild Quotes

You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition. What you'll discover will be wonderful. What you'll discover is yourself. - Alan Alda The creative is the place where no one else has ever been. You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition. - Alan Alda And I'm going to tell the truth: I didn't like that Sean Penn movie Into the Wild so much. Yes! I know it was critically acclaimed. I know it won all these awards! It's very sad that a boy is dead and all. But I thought the movie Enchanted, with the singing princess and the chipmunk and the people dancing in Central Park, was cuter. So there! - Meg Cabot Communing with God is communing with our own hearts, our own best selves, not with something foreign and accidental. Saints and devotees have gone into the wilderness to find God; of course they took God with them, and the silence and detachment enabled them to hear the still, small