Skip to main content

Reading Is Quotes

Reading is a basic tool in the living of a good life.
- Mortimer Adler

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body and prayer is to the soul.
- Matthew Kelly

Reading is to the mind what exercising is to the body.
- Richard Steele

The act of reading is a partnership. The author builds a house, but the reader makes it a home.
- Jodi Picoult

A book worth reading is worth buying.
- John Ruskin

Reading is like looking through several windows which open to an infinite landscape....For me life without reading would be like being in prison, it would be as if my spirit were in a straightjacket; life would be a very dark and narrow place.
- Isabel Allende

[T]he only luxury he allows himself is buying books, paperback books, mostly novels, American novels, British novels, foreign novels in translation, but in the end books are not luxuries so much as necessities, and reading is an addiction he has no wish to be cured of.
- Paul Auster

Reading is a majority skill but a minority art.
- Julian Barnes

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another.
- Lemony Snicket

Reading is untidy, discursive and perpetually inviting.
- Alan Bennett

Briefing is terse, factual and to the point. Reading is untidy, discursive and perpetually inviting. Briefing closes down a subject, reading opens it up.
- Alan Bennett

...briefing is not reading. In fact it is the antithesis of reading. Briefing is terse, factual and to the point. Reading is untidy, discursive and perpetually inviting. Briefing closes down a subject, reading opens it up.
- Alan Bennett

Reading is an activity of civilized beings.
- Toba Beta

Reading is not a duty, and has consequently no business to be made disagreeable.
- Augustine Birrell

For people who are readers, reading is important to them.
- Jeff Bezos

Reading is a way to escape the real world. Writing is a way to create a new one.
- Giuseppe Bianco

Books have to be read (worse luck it takes so long a time). It is the only way of discovering what they contain. A few savage tribes eat them, but reading is the only method of assimilation revealed to the West.
- E M Forster

My reading is always about musical biographies. I have an innate interest and passion for that.
- Nina Blackwood

Real reading is a lonely activity.
- Harold Bloom

Reading is like the sex act - done privately, and often in bed.
- Daniel J Boorstin

This book might also be seen as "a Christian primer." A primer teaches us how to read. Reading is not just about learning to recognize and pronounce words, but also about how to hear and understand them. This book's purpose is to help us to read, hear, and inwardly digest Christian language without preconceived understandings getting in the way.
- Marcus J Borg

Besides, rereading, not reading, is what counts.
- Jorge Luis Borges

Reading is an activity subsequent to writing: more resigned, more civil, more intellectual.
- Jorge Luis Borges

Reading is at the center of our lives. The library is our brain. Without the library, you have no civilization.
- Ray Bradbury

Reading is important - read between the lines. Don't swallow everything.
- Gwendolyn Brooks

Reading is a source of liberation.
- Asa Don Brown

Reading is my greatest luxury.
- Louise Brown

At painful times, when composition is impossible and reading is not enough, grammars and dictionaries are excellent for distraction.
- Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Reading is the basics for all learning.
- George W Bush

For those who are afflicted with book lust, those for whom reading is more than information or escape, the road to our passion is quite simple, paved merely by the presence of the printed matter.
It's a common story; fill in your own blanks:
I was -- years old when I happened on a novel called --, and within six months I had read every other book by the writer known as --.
- Lewis Buzbee

Reading is going toward something that is about to be, and no one yet knows what it will be.
- Italo Calvino

Every new book I read comes to be a part of that overall and unitary book that is the sum of my readings...if you need little to set the imagination going, I require even less: the promise of reading is enough.
- Italo Calvino

Reading is a gift. It's something you can do almost anytime and anywhere. It can be a tremendous way to learn, relax, and even escape. So, enough about the virtues of reading. Time to read on.
- Richard Carlson

Reading is the creative center of a writer's life. -
- Stephen King

The real importance of reading is that it creates an ease and intimacy with the process of writing; one comes to the country of the writer with one's papers and identification pretty much in order.
- Stephen King

Children should learn that reading is pleasure, not just something that teachers make you do in school.
- Beverly Cleary

The masters of information have forgotten about poetry, where words may have a meaning quite different from what the lexicon says, where the metaphoric spark is always one jump ahead of the decoding function, where another, unforeseen reading is always possible.
- J M Coetzee

Reading is an art form, and every man can be an artist.
- Edwin Louis Cole

All I know for certain is that reading is of the most intense importance to me; if I were not able to read, to revisit old favorites and experiment with names new to me, I would be starved - probably too starved to go on writing myself.
- Penelope Lively

I get letters from readers who say that they have always hated reading, but somebody suggested one of my books, they actually finished the book and enjoyed it, and they're going on to read another book. I'm thrilled that they have figured out that reading is fun.
- Caroline B Cooney

It is one thing to be a man's wife - quite another to be the mother of his children. In fact, once you become a mother, being a wife seems like a game you once played or a self-help book you were overly impressed with as a teenager that on second reading is puffy with common ideas. This was one of the many things I had learned since crossing over into the middle place - that sliver of time when childhood and parenthood overlap.
- Kelly Corrigan

I think reading is important in any form. I think a person who's trying to learn to like reading should start off reading about a topic they are interested in, or a person they are interested in.
- Ice Cube

Yes, she answers and does not move. She might, at this moment, be nothing but a floating intelligence; not even a brain inside a skull, just a presence that perceives, as a ghoast might. Yes, she thinks, this is probably how it must feel to be a ghost. It's a little like reading, isn't it-that same sensation of knowing people, settings, situations, without playing any particular part beyond that of the willing observer.
- Michael Cunningham

Ultimately, it doesn't matter if the author intended a symbol to be there because the job of reading is not to understand the author's intent. The job of reading is to use stories as a way into seeing other people as we see ourselves and when we do that, we can look out at the world and see a giant, endless set of beautiful variations of pizzas. THE WHOLE WORLD COMPOSED OF BILLIONS OF BEAUTIFUL DELICIOUS PIZZAS!
- John Green

The job of reading is to use stories as a way into seeing other people as we see ourselves
- John Green

Reading with an eye towards metaphor allows us to become the person we're reading about, while reading about them. That's why there is symbols in books and why your English teacher deserves your attention. Ultimately, it doesn't matter if the author intended the symbol to be there because the job of reading is not to understand the author's intent. The job of reading is to use stories as a way into seeing other people as a we ourselves.
- John Green

It distresses me that parents insist that their children read or make them read. The best way for children to treasure reading is to see the adults in their lives reading for their own pleasure.
- Kate Dicamillo

It can't be supposed," said Joe. "Tho' I'm oncommon fond of reading, too."
Are you, Joe?"
Oncommon. Give me," said Joe, "a good book, or a good newspaper, and sit me down afore a good fire, and I ask no better. Lord!" he continued, after rubbing his knees a little, "when you do come to a J and a O, and says you, 'Here, at last, is a J-O, Joe,' how interesting reading is!
- Charles Dickens

Reading is performance. The reader-- the child under the blanket with a flashlight, the woman at the kitchen table, the man at the library desk-- performs the work. The performance is silent. The readers hear the sounds of the words and the beat of the sentences only in their inner ear. Silent drummers on noiseless drums. An amazing performance in an amazing theater.
- Ursula K Le Guin

And if our book consumption remains as low as it has been, at least let us admit that it is because reading is a less exciting pastime than going to the dogs, the pictures or the pub, and not because books, whether bought or borrowed, are too expensive.
- George Orwell

I want to go on being a student," I told him. "I want to be a teacher. I'm just a reader," I said.
"DON'T SOUND SO ASHAMED," he said. "READING IS A GIFT."
"I learned it from you," I told him.
"IT DOESN'T MATTER WHERE YOU LEARNED IT- IT'S A GIFT. IF YOU CARE ABOUT SOMETHING, YOU HAVE TO PROTECT IT. IF YOU'RE LUCKY ENOUGH TO FIND A WAY OF LIFE YOU LOVE, YOU HAVE TO FIND THE COURAGE TO LIVE IT.
- John Irving

That brings me to the real reason for the title: Where does that which happens during reading a book take place? (...) Does not every reader, whether he wants it or not, bring (...) his own experiences and thoughts into the process of reading? (...) Is not every book a mirror in which the reader is reflected, whether he knows it or not? And is not every reader a mirror in which the book is reflected?
- Michael Ende

Reading makes me feel I've accomplished something, learned something, become a better person.... Reading is bliss.
- Nora Ephron

Reading is grist. Reading is bliss.
- Nora Ephron

Reading is everything. Reading makes me feel like I've accomplished something, learned something, become a better person
- Nora Ephron

Reading is one of the main things I do. Reading is everything. Reading makes me feel I accomplished something, became a better person. Reading makes me smarter. Reading gives me something to talk about later on.
- Nora Ephron

IMPORTANT Book reading is a solitary and sedentary pursuit, and those who do are cautioned that a book should be used as an integral part of a well-rounded life, including a daily regimen of rigorous physical exercise, rewarding personal relationships, and sensible low-fat diet. A book should not be used a as a substitute or an excuse.
- Garrison Keillor

After all, reading is arguably a far more creative and imaginative process than writing; when the reader creates emotion in their head, or the colors of the sky during the setting sun, or the smell of a warm summer's breeze on their face, they should reserve as much praise for themselves as they do for the writer - perhaps more.
- Jasper Fforde

Reading is not work, not a chore, not a drudgery; reading is the most joyful thing, yet, in the world.
- James Patterson

You see, one of the best things about reading is that you'll always have something to think about when you're not reading.
- James Patterson

Frederick Douglas taught that literacy is the path from slavery to freedom. There are many kinds of slavery and many kinds of freedom, but reading is still the path.
- Carl Sagan

Reading is of course dry work, and further refreshment was called for and consumed.
- Diana Gabaldon

Reading is important.
Books are important.
Librarians are important. (Also, libraries are not child-care facilities, but sometimes feral children raise themselves among the stacks.)
- Neil Gaiman

The great thing about reading is that it broadens your life
- George R R Martin

Reading is my passion and my escape since I was 5 years old. Overall, children don't realize the magic that can live inside their own heads. Better even then any movie.
- Eckhart Tolle

Reading is important.
- John Garfield

Let us read with method, and propose to ourselves an end to which our studies may point. The use of reading is to aid us in thinking.
- Edward Gibbon

Re-reading is much underrated. I've read The Spy Who Came in from the Cold once every five years since I was 15. I only started to understand it the third time.
- Malcolm Gladwell

Serious reading is hardly a social activity and every halfway serious reader is perpetually subject to a form of coitus interruptus. Family members or friends who lack the desire, the courage, or the opportunity to burst in on you when there's some indication that you could be sexually entwined will seldom hesitate to interject themselves between you and a page, even though the act of reading is often as intimate and intense as a full-fledged carnal embrace.
- Tom Robbins

Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well.
- Mark Haddon

Reading is primarily a symptom. Of a healthy imagination, of our interest in this and other worlds, of our ability to be still and quiet, of our ability to dream during daylight.
- Mark Haddon

The art of reading is to skip judiciously.
- Alexander Hamilton

It is often said that reading is a gift, but to my mind that is an insufficient description, for the size of the gift of reading is so vast that it is difficult to see what is outside its wrapping.
- Daniel Handler

Reading is a discount ticket to everywhere.
- Elizabeth Hardwick

She was the type of librarian who has "Reading is supposed to be educational, not fun" tattooed somewhere.
- Molly Harper

Easy reading is damn hard writing.
- Nathaniel Hawthorne

Reading is like travel, allowing you to exit your own life for a bit, and to come back with a renewed, even inspired, perspective.
- Laurie Helgoe

Reading is a discount ticket to everywhere.
- Mary Schmich

Reading is not an end to itself, but a means to an end.
- Adolf Hitler

For most people, what is so painful about reading is that you read something and you don't have anybody to share it with. In part what the book club opens up is that people can read a book and then have someone else to talk about it with. Then they see that a book can lead to the pleasure of conversation, that the solitary act of reading can actually be a part of the path to communion and community.
- Bell Hooks

So this is supposed to be about the how, and when, and why, and what of reading -- about the way that, when reading is going well, one book leads to another and to another, a paper trail of theme and meaning; and how, when it's going badly, when books don't stick or take, when your mood and the mood of the book are fighting like cats, you'd rather do anything but attempt the next paragraph, or reread the last one for the tenth time.
- Nick Hornby

The annoying thing about reading is that you can never get the job done.
- Nick Hornby

Every time people force themselves to carry on with a book they're not enjoying, they reinforce the idea that reading is a duty.
- Nick Hornby

The logic: Reading is a private pursuit, one that often takes place behind closed doors. A young lady might retreat with a book, might even take it into her boudoir, and there, reclining on here silken sheets, imbibing the thrills and chills manufactured by writerly quills, one of her hands, one not absolutely needed to grip the little volume, might wander. The fear, in short, as one-handed reading. [p. 146]
- Siri Hustvedt

Reading is perception as translation. The inert signs of an alphabet become living meanings in the mind.
- Siri Hustvedt

Reading is a private pursuit; one that takes place behind closed doors.
- Siri Hustvedt

Childhood reading is so important.
- Kristi Yamaguchi

The end of reading is not more books but more life.
- Holbrook Jackson

If you are a kid, reading is really important stuff.
- Bruce Jenner

If you are dyslexic, your eyes work fine, your brain works fine, but there is a little short circuit in the wire that goes between the eye and the brain. Reading is not a fluid process.
- Bruce Jenner

... just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul.
- Pope John Xxiii

Reading is one of the true pleasures of life. In our age of mass culture, when so much that we encounter is abridged,adapted, adulterated, shredded, and boiled down, it is mind-easing and mind-inspiring to sit down privately with a congenial book..
- Thomas S Monson

A book burrows into your life in a very profound way because the experience of reading is not passive.
- Erica Jong

Reading is like breathing. If you take it away, first I become antsy, then violent.
- Robert Jordan

Reading is accumulating knowledge. But not only that. Reading offers us every day what religion promises us for a posthumous and improbable future: the possibility of living beyond what our lifetime allows us to.
- Camilo Gomes Jr

What I like most about reading is I can read in minutes what it took the author hours to write. What I like most about writing is readers can read in minutes what it took me seconds to write.
- Jarod Kintz

I don't like writers whose writing is so obvious that I can predict what he'll write while I'm still taking in his current thoughts. Why, this means that I know what he knows, and the point of reading is to discover things and thoughts which I don't already know or that haven't occurred to me. The greatest amusement is surprise. Fellatio! (Bet you didn't see that coming!)
- Jarod Kintz

Reading is more of a left-brain process, and listening to music is a right-brain function.
- Maynard James Keenan

Reading is such a personal thing to me. I'd much rather give someone a gift certificate to a bookstore, and let that person choose his or her own books.
- Erik Larson

The pleasure of reading is doubled when one lives with another who shares the same books.
- Stanislaw Lec

This is what reading is like to me. It's finding a spring in the midst of a barren land. Just when I think I might up and die of thirst, I stumble onto this fresh, cold water, and I'm suddenly given this new life because I can-and do-drink to my heart's content.
- Beverly Lewis

A clever schoolboy's reaction to his reading is most naturally expressed by parody or imitation.
- C S Lewis

Reading is a huge effort for many people, a bore for others, and, believe it or not, many people prefer watching TV.
- Hugh Mackay

Reading is a staple of life, like bread or water. Or chocolate.
- Rett Macpherson

...but she wrote out some extra words on a piece of paper so Rain could practice reading. "Is this a magic spell?" the girl asked her.
"Don't let me get sappy on you, but when you get right down to it, every collection of letters is a magic spell, even if it is a moronic proclamation by the Emperor. Words have their impact, girl. Mind your manners. I may not know how to fly but I know how to read, and that's almost the same thing."
-Out of Oz
- Gregory Maguire

Reading is very creative - it's not just a passive thing. I write a story; it goes out into the world; somebody reads it and, by reading it, completes it.
- Margaret Mahy

Out: Reading is fundamental. In: Feeling is fundamental.
- Michelle Malkin

Alexandria and its scholars [...] never mistook the true nature of the past; they knew it to be the source of an ever-shifting present in which new readers engaged with old books which became new in the reading process. Every reader exists to ensure for a certain book a modest immortality. Reading is, in this sense, a ritual of rebirth.
- Alberto Manguel

Reading is the occupation of the insomniac par excellence.
- Alberto Manguel

Every reader exists to ensure for a certain book a modest immortality. Reading is, in this sense, a ritual of rebirth.
- Alberto Manguel

I quickly learned that reading is cumulative and proceeds by geometrical progression: each new reading builds upon whatever the reader has read before.
- Alberto Manguel

The pleasure of all reading is doubled when one lives with another who shares the same books.
- Katherine Mansfield

I think reading is a gift. It was a gift that was given to me as a child by many people, and now as an adult and a writer, I'm trying to give a little of it back to others. It's one of the greatest pleasures I know.
- Ann M Martin

In the week I promised myself I should naturally read, for to the habitual reader reading is a drug of which he is the slave; deprive him of printed matter and he grows nervous, moody, and restless; then, like the alcoholic bereft of brandy who will drink shellac or methylated spirit, he will make do with the advertisements of a paper five years old; he will make do with a telephone directory.
- W Somerset Maugham

To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all the miseries of life.
- W Somerset Maugham

I think reading is important for a variety of things. I mean, first of all, it's a way to get information and find out what's going on in the world. But also, it helps your imagination.
- Breckin Meyer

Reading is an addiction, much like living and breathing is an addiction.
- Jeffrey Michael

A book you finish reading is not the same book it was before you read it.
- David Mitchell

Reading is an intelligent way of not having to think.
- Walter Moers

Free and fair access to books - to reading - is a right and one we should fight for.
- Kate Mosse

Reading is not optional.
- Walter Dean Myers

We're suggesting that [kids are] missing something if they don't read but, actually, we're condemning kids to a lesser life. If you had a sick patient, you would not try to entice them to take their medicine. You would tell them, 'Take this or you're going to die.' We need to tell kids flat out: reading is not optional.
- Walter Dean Myers

Reading is the sole means by which we slip, involuntarily, often helplessly, into another's skin, another's voice, another's soul.
- Joyce Carol Oates

reading is the soul's salvation
- Jana Oliver

Reading isn't an occupation we encourage among police officers. We try to keep the paperwork down to a minimum.
- Joe Orton

Every single pleasure I can imagine or have experienced is more delightful, more of a pleasure, if you take it in small sips, if you take your time. Reading is not an exception.
- Amos Oz

Reading is food for the brain.
- Maribel C Pagan

reading is awsome
- Christopher Paolini

Words are alive--when I've found a story that I love, I read it again and again, like playing a favorite song over and over.
Reading isn't passive--I enter the story with the characters, breathe their air, feel their rustrations,
scream at them to stop when they're about to do something stupid, cry with them, laugh with them.
Reading for me, is spending time with a friend. A book is a friend. You can never have too many.
- Gary Paulsen

Reading is human contact, and the range of our human contacts is what makes us what we are. Just imagine you live the life of a long-distance truck driver. The books that you read are like the travelers you take into your cab. If you give lifts to people who are cultured and profound, you'll learn a lot from them. If you pick up fools, you'll turn into a fool yourself.
- Victor Pelevin

Much reading is an oppression of the mind, and extinguishes the natural candle, which is the reason of so many senseless scholars in the world.
- William Penn

Reading is sometimes an ingenious device for avoiding thought.
- Austin Phelps

Reading is more important to me than eating.
- John Piper

The reader must come armed , in a serious state of intellectual readiness. This is not easy because he comes to the text alone. In reading, one's responses are isolated, one'sintellect thrown back on its own resourses. To be confronted by the cold abstractions of printed sentences is to look upon language bare, without the assistance of either beauty or community. Thus, reading is by its nature a serious business. It is also, of course, an essentially rational activity.
- Neil Postman

Reading is the last act of secular prayer.
- Richard Powers

My reading is extremely eclectic. Lately I've been teaching myself computer graphics, so I'm reading a lot about that. I read books of trivia, of facts.
- Jack Prelutsky

You should write because you love the shape of stories and sentences and the creation of different words on a page. Writing comes from reading, and reading is the finest teacher of how to write.
- Annie Proulx

We feel very strongly that our own wisdom begins where that of the author leaves off and we could like him to provide us with desires... That is the value of reading and is also its inadequacy. To make it into discipline is to give too large a role to what is only an incitement. Reading is on the threshold of the spiritual life it can introduce us to it: it does not constitute it.
- Marcel Proust

Reading is that fruitful miracle of a communication in the midst of solitude
- Marcel Proust

Reading is at the threshold of the spiritual life; it can introduce us to it. It does not constitute it... There are certain cases of spiritual depression in which reading can become a sort of curative discipline... reintroducing a lazy mind into the life of the Spirit.
- Marcel Proust

If I'm reading something I happen to know and gets it wrong, I just don't trust the book any more. What I ask of a novel I'm reading is that it should know a fraction more about the things I know than I do. When I'm writing...I ask myself: would I be convinced by this if I read it? If I knocked against this bit of scenery, would it feel solid?
- Philip Pullman

Reading is the way mankind delays the inevitable. Reading is the way we shake our fist at the sky. As long as we have these epic, improbable reading projects arrayed before us, we cannot breathe our last: Tell the Angel of Death to come back later; I haven't quite finished Villette.
- Joe Queenan

Reading is not simply an intellectual pursuit but an emotional and spiritual one. It lights the candle in the hurricane lamp of self; that's why it survives.
- Anna Quindlen

How is it that, a full two centuries after Jane Austen finished her manuscript, we come to the world of Pride and Prejudice and find ourselves transcending customs, strictures, time, mores, to arrive at a place that educates, amuses, and enthralls us? It is a miracle. We read in bed because reading is halfway between life and dreaming, our own consciousness in someone else's mind.
- Anna Quindlen

All reading is good reading. And all reading of Jane Austen and Charles Dickens is sublime reading.
- Anna Quindlen

Reading isn't good for a ballplayer. Not good for his eyes. If my eyes went bad even a little bit I couldn't hit home runs. So I gave up reading.
- Babe Ruth

the sentence im reading is terrific..
- J D Salinger

Reading is a form of prayer, a guided meditation that briefly makes us believe we're someone else, disrupting the delusion that we're permanent and at the center of the universe. Suddenly (we're saved!) other people are real again, and we're fond of them.
- George Saunders

The art of not reading is a very important one. It consists in not taking an interest in whatever may be engaging the attention of the general public at any particular time. When some political or ecclesiastical pamphlet, or novel, or poem is making a great commotion, you should remember that he who writes for fools always finds a large public. A precondition for reading good books is not reading bad ones: for life is short.
- Arthur Schopenhauer

Reading is equivalent to thinking with someone else's head instead of with one's own.
- Arthur Schopenhauer

Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own.
- Charles Scribner Jr

Language is the soul of intellect, and reading is the essential process by which that intellect is cultivated beyond the commonplace experiences of everyday life.
- Charles Scribner Jr

Reading's not a luxury, art's not a luxury. It's about your soul, and it's about yourself. And if reading is a luxury, being human is a luxury
- Jeanette Winterson

Reading is difficult. People just aren't meant to read anymore. We're in a post-literate age. You know, a visual age. How many years after the fall of Rome did it take for a Dante to appear? Many, many years.
- Gary Shteyngart

Reading is entering into the consciousness of another human being.
- Gary Shteyngart

Reading is something I've really missed, not being able to enter people's worlds.
- Robert Smith

Most of my reading is rereading.
- Susan Sontag

Reading is the perfect escape from whatever ails you.
- Jessica Spotswood

Writing and reading is to me synonymous with existing.
- Gertrude Stein

Reading alters the appearance of a book. Once it has been read, it never looks the same again, and people leave their individual imprint on a book they have read. Once of the pleasures of reading is seeing this alteration on the pages, and the way, by reading it, you have made the book yours.
- Paul Theroux

That I can read and be happy while I am reading, is a great blessing.
- Anthony Trollope

The habit of reading is the only enjoyment in which there is no alloy; it lasts when all other pleasures fade.
- Anthony Trollope

Reading is an act of resistance in a landscape of distraction.... We regain the world by withdrawing from it just a little by stepping back from the noise.
- David L Ulin

I can't imagine the reading is still going on. He's written about Canada, for God's sake. How much can there be to say?
- Ayelet Waldman

The idea that reading is a moral quality has unhappily led many conscientious persons to renounce their innocuous dalliance with light literature for more strenuous intercourse. These are the persons who make it a rule to read.
- Edith Wharton

Real reading is reflex action; the born reader reads as unconsciously as he breathes; and, to carry the analogy a degree farther, reading is no more a virtue than breathing.
- Edith Wharton

To read is not a virtue; but to read well is an art, and an art that only the born reader can acquire. The gift of reading is no exception to the rule that all natural gifts need to be cultivated by practice and discipline; but unless the innate aptitude exist the training will be wasted. It is the delusion of the mechanical reader to think that intentions may take the place of aptitude.
- Edith Wharton

That's something the kids should know about. Reading is a gateway to witchcraft and lesbianism.
- Al Yankovic

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fat Person Quotes

She was convinced that she was anorexic, because every time she looked in the mirror she did indeed see a fat person. - Terry Pratchett I sensed immediately that he'd once been overweight. He moved with a fat person's tiptoey apology. - Jennifer Egan I feel self-conscious calling my cat fat in front of a fat person, considering I'm skinny and inconsiderate. - Jarod Kintz I call myself a FFP: former fat person, and when you're an FFP, you will always see in yourself what people used to bully you for. - Kelly Osbourne Well you know, it's true that as a fat person I run a greater risk of heart disease, diabetes, and a number of other things. But guess what? The amount of that risk is almost infinitessimal! - Daniel Pinkwater

Bass Player Quotes

I always just wanted to be the singer or the bass player in the band. I'd love to have a band, where I was obviously the singer, but where it wasn't me, it wasn't my name. - Bryan Adams In jazz, you listen to what the bass player is doing and what the drummer is doing, what the pianist and the guitarist is doing, and then you play something that compliments that, so you are thinking simultaneously and thinking ahead. - David Amram I can understand why some of these drummers and bass players become cult figures with all of their equipment and the incredible amount of technique they have. But there's very little that I think satisfies you intellectually or emotionally. - Ken Burns Jack Bruce, as soon as I saw him, it changed me. I didn't even know what bass players did until I saw Cream. - Geezer Butler Bass players are always the intellectual kind, but nobody knows it. - Stanley Clarke There are a lot of people who can do it on the guitar and sing at the same t...