Skip to main content

The Darkness Quotes

You can't study the darkness by flooding it with light.
- Edward Abbey

Evil turned out not to be a grand thing. Not sneering Emperors with their world-conquering designs. Not cackling demons plotting in the darkness beyond the world. It was small men with their small acts and their small reasons. It was selfishness and carelessness and waste. It was bad luck, incompetence, and stupidity. It was violence divorced from conscience or consequence. It was high ideals, eve, and low methods.
- Joe Abercrombie

Time. In another time. Either before or after. They were not stars,
but fires. They were the souls of birds. They were entries into the
vast fire. They were the eyes of the dead. And in the darkness they
were imprisoned by them.
- Peter Ackroyd

She walked forward, feeling the dew on the grass with each step. She tightened her eyes, welcoming the darkness.
- Eveli Acosta

In this Music [the singing of the angels in harmony] the World was begun; for Iluvatar made visible the song of the Ainur,and they beheld it as a light in the darkness.
- J R R Tolkien

Let him not vow to walk in the dark, who has not seen the darkness fall.
- J R R Tolkien

Out of the darkness of my life, so much frustrated, I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: the Blessed Sacrament ... There you will find romance, glory, honour, fidelity, and the true way of all your loves upon earth.
- J R R Tolkien

But who knows what she spoke to the darkness, alone, in the bitter watches of the night, when all her life seemed shrinking, and the walls of her bower closing in about her, a hutch to trammel some wild thing in?
(Aragorn about Eowyn, in the Houses of Healing)
- J R R Tolkien

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, And in the darkness bindthem.
- J R R Tolkien

Three Rings for the Elvin-Kings under the Sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-Lords in their halls of stone,
NIne for Mortal-men doomed to die,
One for the Dark-Lord on his Dark throne,
In the land of Mordor where the Shadows lie,
One Ring to rule them all,
One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all,
And in the Darkness bind them,
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
- J R R Tolkien

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men, doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
- J R R Tolkien

Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that came down to us from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death light that endures. And of these histories most fair still in the ears of the Elves is the tale of Beren and Lthien
- J R R Tolkien

Three Rings for the Eleven-Kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-Lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on this dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to find them,
One Ring to rule them all,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the the Shadows lie
- J R R Tolkien

This is the way we win over our enemies, not with bigger weapons, or faster ships, but with human courage, ingenuity, and sacrifice. Don't lose hope. We've faced the darkness beforeit has nothing new to teach us. As we go about our lives, let us remember the example Dr. Navarro set for us. At the right time, anyone can be a hero.
- Ann Aguirre

He could not feel her near him in the darkness nor hear her voice touch his ear. He waited for some minutes listening. He could hear nothing: the night was perfectly silent. He listened again: perfectly silent. He felt that he was alone.
- James Joyce

Gazing up into the darkness I saw myself as a creature driven and derided by vanity; and my eyes burned with anguish and anger.
- James Joyce

I look up, and stop breathing.
Eyes glitter in the darkness. Dark shapes sit in the car, more numerous than we are.
The factionless.
- Veronica Roth

And thus unknowingly, Dor began to serve his sentence -- to hear every plea from every soul who desired more of the thing he had first identified, the thing that moved man further from the simple light of existence and deeper into the darkness of his own obsessions. Time.
- Mitch Albom

Then they scrambled through the window and into the darkness, determined to turn themselves into what they were not.
- Jodi Picoult

9.
In the darkness, her dark body grows darker
until I am making love to her and her shadow.
- Sherman Alexie

I feel myself diminished, parts of me spiralling away into the darkness, that which is good and honest and true - If you hold it away from yourself long enough, do you lose it entirely? If no one cares for you at all, do you even really exist?
- Cassandra Clare

He bent down to her; their mouths met again, and the shock of sensation was so strong, so overpowering, that she shut her eyes against it as if she could hide in the darkness. He murmured and gathered her against him.
- Cassandra Clare

Yeah, well, you clearly also couldn't be bothered to call me and tell me you were shacking up with some dyed-blond wanna-be goth you probably met at Pandemonium. After I spent the past three days wondering if you were dead."
"I was not shacking up," Clary said, glad of the darkness as the blood rushed to her face.
"And my hair is naturally blond," said Jace. "Just for the record."
Simon, Clary, and Jace, pg. 115
- Cassandra Clare

Am I blind?" Will's voice floated out of the darkness, tinged with annoyance. "I'm not going to be at all pleased if you've blinded me, Henry.
- Cassandra Clare

I feel myself dminished, parts of me spiraling away into the darkness, that which is good and honest and true - If you hold it away from yourself long enough, do you lose it entirely? If no one cares for you at all, do you even really exist?
- Cassandra Clare

Will moved to object, but it was too late; Henry had already pressed the button. There was a blinding flare of light and a whooshing sound, and the room was plunged into blackness. Tessa gave a yelp of surprise, and Jem laughed softly.
"Am I blind?" Will's voice floated out of the darkness, tinged with annoyance. "I'm not going to be at all pleased if you've blinded me, Henry.
- Cassandra Clare

Jack hadn't thought of love as a promise beforea promise that, even when the world was falling down around him, would stay kept. But without Sutton saying a word, he knew that there would be comfort when he couldn't sleep tonight. And tomorrow and the day after, there would be a home to go to, even if it was no more than a pair of arms around him and a head tucked close to his in the darkness.
- Tamara Allen

All great and beautiful work has come of first gazing without shrinking into the darkness.
- John Ruskin

The rain started a few minutes later, a fine mist at first, growing more steady as the miles flew by. The Mercedes hummed along, following the ribbon of road. The night enveloped us, the darkness broken only by the lights on the dash.
All the comforts of a womb with the technology of a jet airplane cockpit
- Janet Evanovich

This world has been connected...tied to the darkness...soon to be completely eclipsed...there is very much to learn...you understand so little...a meaningless effort...one who knows nothing cannot understand nothing.
- Shiro Amano

The light within the darkness- you've lost sight of it.
- Shiro Amano

I've never been in those places where I've never been and never will be, I have no share in the infinity of light-years and dark-years, but the darkness is mine, and the light, and my time is my own.
- Yehuda Amichai

Censoring books that deal with difficult, adolescent issues does not protect anybody. Quite the opposite. It leaves kids in the darkness and makes them vulnerable. Censorship is the child of fear and the father of ignorance. Our children cannot afford to have the truth of the world withheld from them
- Laurie Halse Anderson

The fruition of the year had come and the night should have been fine with a moon in the sky and the crisp sharp promise of frost in the air, but it wasn't that way. It rained and little puddles of water shone under the street lamps on Main Street. In the woods in the darkness beyond the Fair Ground water dripped from the black trees.
- Sherwood Anderson

In that high place in the darkness the two oddly sensitive human atoms held each other tightly and waited. In the mind of each was the same thought. "I have come to this lonely place and here is this other," was the substance of the thing felt.
- Sherwood Anderson

Damn it" I said "I don't suppose you have any ideas on how to kill Littleton" He smiled at me, his teeth very white in the darkness of his face "Eat him" he said.
- Patricia Briggs

He whispered her name as if it were a love-word, and his mouth drifted through the tear tracks on her face. They would not yield their secrets. Oh, but love...
Love was unvoiced and undenied. As they fitted together into one being, each movement was a new discovery, each second an eternity of emotion. Let it last, her heart beseeched the darkness silently. Let it last forever.
- Lisa Kleypas

The firefly is an unassuming insect in the daytime. If you didn't know what it was, you'd think it was nothing special. But at night, the firefly glows with its own light source. The darkness brings out its most beautiful gift." He smiled at Lucy's rapt expression. "That's an extraordinary talent for an ordinary-looking creature, isn't it?
- Lisa Kleypas

And I finally understood what Miss Marva had said about living by your own lights. When you're walking through the darkness, you can't depend on anything or anyone else to light your way. You have to rely on whatever sparks you've got inside you. Or you're going to get lost.
- Lisa Kleypas

When you're walking through the darkness, you can't depend on anything or anyone else to light your way. You have to rely on whatever sparks you've got inside you. Or you're going to get lost.
- Lisa Kleypas

...soft light ate away at the darkness and revealed a rather large room outfitted with a small kitchen, an antique-looking couch, and a... a bed. Nervously, I turned away and folded my arms. The place reminded me more of a love-nest than anything else. Then again, the stockpile of rifles hanging on the wall kind of ruined the cozy feel.
- Jennifer L Armentrout

Minority is about being an individual. It's like you have to sift through the darkness to find your place and be that individual you want to be your entire life.
- Billie Joe Armstrong

Christopher loved her with the passion of youth, of imagination, of poetry, of all the fresh beginnings of wonder and worship that have been since love first lit his torch and made in the darkness a great light.
- Elizabeth Von Arnim

And into the darkness, to his sleeping woman, he whispered, You don't know this, baby, but some men have dream women too.
- Kristen Ashley

All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle.
- St Francis Of Assisi

All the darkness of the world cannot extinguish the light of a small candle.
- St Francis Of Assisi

Love blurs your vision; but after it recedes, you can see more clearly than ever. It's like the tide going out, revealing whatever's been thrown away and sunk: broken bottles, old gloves, rusting pop cans, nibbled fishbodies, bones. This is the kind of thing you see if you sit in the darkness with open eyes, not knowing the future.
- Margaret Atwood

When I am lonely for boys it's their bodies I miss. I study their hands lifting the cigarettes in the darkness of the movie theaters, the slope of a shoulder, the angle of a hip. Looking at them sideways, I examine them in different lights. My love for them is visual: that is the the part of them I would like to possess.
- Margaret Atwood

But in the end, back she comes. There's no use resisting. She goes to him for amnesia, for oblivion. She renders herself up, is blotted out; enters the darkness of her own body, forgets her name. Immolation is what she wants, however briefly. To exist without boundaries.
- Margaret Atwood

Why can't I believe? she asked the darkness.
Behind her eyelids she saw an animal. It was golden colour, with gentle green eyes and canine teeth, and curly wool instead of fur. It opened its mouth, but it did not speak. Instead, it yawned.
It gazed at her. She gazed at it. "You are the effect of a carefully calibrated blend of plant toxins," she told it.
Then she fell asleep.
- Margaret Atwood

In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present.
- Francis Bacon

When you have come to the edge of all the light you have
And step into the darkness of the unknown
Believe that one of the two will happen to you
Either you'll find something solid to stand on
Or you'll be taught how to fly!
- Richard Bach

The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?
- R Scott Bakker

The old man sang for a while, and Mora felt in her head the beginning of a long siege. A wilderness had crept up around a walled town, and the darkness of old woods and far-off places began to grow then, even within sight of where men walked together.
By this she meant in her heart that all the useless things one remembers well just before waking and forgets just after were in fact very important and perhaps all that stood now between herself and oblivion.
- Jesse Ball

Nature....she will hang the night stars so that I may walk abroad in the darkness without stumbling, and send word the wind over my footprints so that none may track me to my hurt: she will cleanse me in great waters, and with bitter herbs make me whole.
- Oscar Wilde

Poverty is a reaper: it harvests everything inside us that might have made us capable of social intercourse with others, and leaves us empty, purged of feeling, so that we may endure all the darkness of the present day.
- Muriel Barbery

The first time I'd entered the Fold, I'd feared the darkness and my own death. Now, darkness was nothing to me, and I knew that soon death would seem like a gift. I'd always known I would have to return to the Unsea, but as I looked back, I realized that some part of me had anticipated it.
- Leigh Bardugo

We are the star and the darkness it peirces
- Clive Barker

In this sense love is of a different order to any other phenomenon, for it may be both an event and a sign of that invisible mechanism I spoke of before; perhaps the finest sign, the most certain. In it's throes we need neither luck nor science. We are the wheel, and the man who profits by it. We are the star, and the darkness it pierces. We are the butterfly, brief and beautiful.
- Clive Barker

I'm a fucking idiot.
No, he was a man in love with a woman who meant the entire universe to him.
Like I said, you're a fucking idiot.
And for the first time in his life, he was happy being stupid because the only alternative would be existing without her, and now that he'd tasted the sunlight she brought into his world, he never wanted to live in the darkness again.
Please don't send me back to the night.
- Sherrilyn Kenyon

Trust me, baby. Everyone wants someone they can hold and love. Someone who will be there to help pick up the pieces when everything falls apart. Sin is no different from anyone else. If you have any care for Sin at all, don't leave him in the darkness. It's not fair to show someone the sun and then banish him from it. Even the devil may cry when looks around hell and realizes that he's there alone. (Acheron)
- Sherrilyn Kenyon

Everyone has a choice. (Kiara)
No, princess, they don't. Choices aren't always up to us. Life and circumstances can shred even the stoutest soul. No matter how pure and untainted you think you are, I promise you that you, too, can be shoved into the darkness, just like we were. (Syn)
- Sherrilyn Kenyon

If you shut your eyes and are a lucky one, you may see at times a shapeless pool of lovely pale colors suspended in the darkness; the if you squeeze your eyes tighter, the pool begins to take shape, and the colours become so vivid that with another squeeze they must go on fire. But just before they go on fire you see the lagoon. This is the nearest you ever get to it on the mainland, just one heavenly moment..
- James M Barrie

Above me soft footsteps, the sound through the ceiling of a teenager haunted by a door to the night. My cousin Maybonne lights up a Salem, blows ghosts to the darkness, be it ever so humble, there's no place like home.
- Lynda Barry

If you dwell in the darkness, you can see in the dark and look into the light.
But in choosing the darkness, you know you are destined to walk alone.
- Colin Bateman

The darkness of death is like the evening twilight; it makes all objects appear more lovely to the dying.
- Jean Paul

Alex: "You asked earlier why us humans fear death. I suppose it is the unknown - not knowing what awaits on the other side. But now I know, and I still fear it."
The Darkness: "?"
Alex: "But now I fear the living - in fact, I now fear life more than death!
- Scott Beadle

Some nights the sky wept stars that quickly floated and disappeared into the darkness before our wishes could meet them.
- Ishmael Beah

Bad artists ignore the darkness of human existence. Good artists often get stuck there. Great artists embrace the full catastrophe of our condition and find beyond it an even deeper truth of peace, healing, and redemption.
- Martha Beck

Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness.
- Desmond Tutu

As if she had summoned them, a flurry of stones flew out of the darkness, striking his mail, pinging off his helm. One hit his unprotected leg and he yelped and clutched it. That was a mistake. The second barrage was entirely directed at his legs.
- Hilari Bell

Thou mayest rule over sin,' Lee. That's it. I do not believe all men are destroyed. I can name you a dozen who were not, and they are the ones the world lives by. It is true of the spirit as it is true of battles only the winners are remembered. Surely most men are destroyed, but there are others who like pillars of fire guide frightened men through the darkness. 'Thou mayest, Thou mayest!' What glory!
- John Steinbeck

The world of the grotesque is the darkness within us.
- Haruki Murakami

What I was chasing in circles must have been the tail of the darkness inside me.
- Haruki Murakami

Like you're riding a train at night across some vast plain, and you
catch a glimpse of a tiny light in a window of a farmhouse. In an
instant it's sucked back into the darkness behind and vanishes. But
if you close your eyes, that point of light stays with you, just
barely for a few moments.
- Haruki Murakami

Let me tell you something, Mari. The ground we stand on looks solid enough, but if something happens it can drop right out from under you. And once that happens, you've had it: things'll never be the same. All you can do is go on, living alone down there in the darkness..
- Haruki Murakami

Dawn in Mongolia was an amazing thing. In one instant, the horizon became a faint line suspended in the darkness, and then the line was drawn upward, higher and higher. It was as if a giant hand had stretched down from the sky and slowly lifted the curtain of night from the face of the earth. It was a magnificent sight, far greater in scale...than anything that I, with my limited human faculties, could fully comprehend.
- Haruki Murakami

Even if things were the same, people's perception of them might have been very different back then. The darkness of night was probably deeper then, so the moon must have been that much bigger and brighter.
- Haruki Murakami

Even so, there were times I saw freshness and beauty. I could smell the air, and I really loved rock 'n' roll. Tears were warm, and girls were beautiful, like dreams. I liked movie theaters, the darkness and intimacy, and I liked the deep, sad summer nights.
- Haruki Murakami

The darkness behind my closed eyelids was like the cloud-covered sky, but the gray was somewhat deeper. Every few minutes, someone would come and paint over the gray with a different-textured gray - one with a touch of gold or green or red. I was impressed with the variety of grays that existed. Human beings were so strange. All you had to do was sit still for ten minutes, and you could see this amazing variety of grays.
- Haruki Murakami

Things can be seen better in the darkness," he said, as if he had just seen into her mind. "But the longer you spend in the dark, the harder it becomes to return to the world aboveground where the light is
- Haruki Murakami

The past and the present, might we say, go like this. The future is a maybe. Yet we look back on the darkness that obscures the path that brought us fair, we only come up with another indefinite maybe. The only thing we perceive with any clarity is the present moment, and even that just passes by.
- Haruki Murakami

When the darkness comes, keep an eye on the light - whatever that is for you - no matter how far away it seems.
- Jan Berry

You twitch as the darkness moves in and out of you. It crawls up your spine and nestles in your brain like an evil thought from out of nowhere, burying itself in your psyche like a starving leech looking for a vein.
- Stephen Biro

When common objects in this way be come charged with the suggestion of horror, they stimulate the imagination far more than things of unusual appearance; and these bushes, crowding huddled about us, assumed for me in the darkness a bizarre grotesquerie of appearance that lent to them somehow the aspect of purposeful and living creatures. Their very ordinariness, I felt, masked what was malignant and hostile to us.
- Algernon Blackwood

In order to have bliss you have to be able to accept all the parts of the other, all the wildness and the darkness. You have to be able to hold on.
- Francesca Lia Block

Sophisticated readers understand that writers work out their anger, their conflicts, their endless grief and rolling list of loss, through their stories. That however mean-spirited or diabolical, it's only a story. That the darkness in the soul is shaped into type and lies there, brooding and inert, black on the page, and active, dangerous, only in the reader's mind. Actually, harmless. I am not harmless.
- Amy Bloom

I'm a musician. I write songs. I just hope when the day is done I've been able to tear a little corner off of the darkness.
- Bono

I do see the good in people, but I also see the bad --- I see it in myself. I know what I'm capable of. Good and bad. It's very imnportant that we make that clear. Just because I often find a way around the darkness doesn't mean tjat I don't know it's there. (Bono)
- Bono

[His] library was a fine dark place bricked with books, so anything could happen there and always did. All you had to do was pull a book from the shelf and open it and suddenly the darkness was not so dark anymore.
- Ray Bradbury

Even lost in the darkness, my heart will find you.
- Kami Garcia

Loneliness is holding the one you love
When you know you might never hold him again.
Even lost in the darkness
My heart will find you
The soul die at the hand of the one who carries it.
If I could find a place to run away
Hidden safely, I would be there today.
The darkest daylight finds me.
- Kami Garcia

I had long ago discovered that when a word or formula refused to come to mind the best thing for it was to think of something else: tigers for instance or oatmeal. Then when the fugitive word was least expecting it I would suddenly turn the full blaze of my attention back onto it catching the culprit in the beam of my mental torch before it could sneak off again into the darkness.
- Alan Bradley

I tried to convince myself once, when I was a teenager, that I felt God. Alone in the sanctuary, accompanying my mom on an evening errand to the church. I stared at the ceiling and drew deep breath as quickly as I could. I told our youth minister in his ball cap that I had felt Him. That I was blessed.
But in the end, it was only the wind and the rain, making noise in the darkness.
- Darin Bradley

Suddenly there was a great burst of light through the Darkness. The light spread out and where it touched the Darkness the Darkness disappeared. The light spread until the patch of Dark Thing had vanished, and there was only a gentle shining, and through the shining came the stars, clear and pure.
- Madeleine L Engle

I will have nothing to do with a God who cares only occasionally. I need a God who is with us always, everywhere, in the deepest depths as well as the highest heights. It is when things go wrong, when good things do not happen, when our prayers seem to have been lost, that God is most present. We do not need the sheltering wings when things go smoothly. We are closest to God in the darkness, stumbling along blindly.
- Madeleine L Engle

Maybe you have to know the darkness before you can appreciate the light.
- Madeleine L Engle

We don't want to feel less when we have finished a book; we want to feel that new possibilities of being have been opened to us. We don't want to close a book with a sense that life is totally unfair and that there is no light in the darkness; we want to feel that we have been given illumination.
- Madeleine L Engle

A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe.
- Madeleine L Engle

Like it or not, we either add to the darkness of indifference and out-and-out evil which surrounds us or we light a candle to see by.
- Madeleine L Engle

I held my head back and looked upward. The moon was hidden and only a lone star dared to break through the darkness.
- Nancy B Brewer

Maybe they did what they had to do to live, and tried to get a little love and have a little fun before the darkness took them.
- Poppy Z Brite

The darkness is calling. A little danger, a little risk. Feel your heart race. Listen to it. That's the sound of being alive. It's your time, Nick. Your one chance to have fun before it's all stolen by them, the adults, with their cruelty and endless rules, their can't-do-this, and can't-do-that's, their have-tos, and better-dos, their little boxes and cages all designed to break your spirit, to kill your magic.
- Brom

I just don't think there are any rules to color. You have a small space with no windows? Put lamps in there, make it dramatic, paint the ceiling black. Do something with it. If it's dark, accentuate the darkness.
- David Bromstad

I think that most people would rather face the light of a real enemy than the darkness of their imagined fears.
- Max Brooks

The sadness, the silence, the darkness, the loneliness... all of it held in a simple little moment. It was just so...
I don't know.
Just so much.
- Kevin Brooks

Staring in the darkness, trying to sleep. My body was aching with tiredness. My limbs were numb. My sightless eyes were crazed with light/ I was dying of oblivion, but it wouldn't come. I didn't think I've ever sleep again.
- Kevin Brooks

Like a lamp, dispelling the darkness of ignorance
- Dalai Lama

Now it was coming to an end, and it was like he was watching the last flicker of light wink out in the darkness of an endless tunnel.
- Nicholas Sparks

[Philosophers] are like a traveler passing through a field at night who in a momentary lightning flash sees far and wide, but the sight vanishes so swiftly that he is plunged again into the darkness of night before he can take even a step-let alone be directed on the way by its help.
- John Calvin

There's a light somewhere.
It may not be much light but
it beats the darkness.
- Charles Bukowski

I was a man who thrived on solitude; without it I was like another man without food or water. Each day without solitude weakened me. I took no pride in my solitude; but I was dependent on it. The darkness of the
room was like sunlight to me.
- Charles Bukowski

It was the first time i had been alone for five days. I was a man who thrived on solitude; without it I was like another man without food or water. Each day without solitude weakened me. I took no pride in my solitude; but I was dependent on it. The darkness of the room was like sunlight to me.
- Charles Bukowski

The darkness that had come in from the Mediterranean covered the city so detested by the procurator..
- Mikhail Bulgakov

Lumpini Park at night: love at its cheapest, but the incidence of HIV is said to be over 60 per cent. In the darkness: furtive movement on benches and on the grass, muted moans and whispers, rustlings of large animals in heat, the intensity of the atomic fusion of sec and death (highly addictive, they say).
- John Burdett

I will rise from the darkness, shining like the morning star.
Illuminated woman am I.
- Grant Morrison

The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile but that it is indifferent; but if we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death however mutable man may be able to make them our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.
- Stanley Kubrick

However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.
- Stanley Kubrick

When we think about fairy tales, we think about happily ever afters, forgetting the darkness that stories beginning with "once upon a time" so often contain.
I tried to protect Shay from that darkness. But there was no way to shield her from the truth: Life is not a fairy tale.
- Laura J Burns

A person who does not know the history of the last 3,000 years wanders in the darkness of ignorance, unable to make sense of the reality around him
- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

I am part of the part that once was everything,
Part of the darkness which gave birth to light...
Mephistopheles, from Faust.
- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

I am a part of the part that at first was all, part of the darkness that gave birth to the light, that supercilious light which now disputes with Mother Night her ancient rank and space, and yet cannot succeed; no matter how it struggles, it sticks to matter and can't get free. Light flows from substance, makes it beautiful..
- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

There's power in the night. There's terror in the darkness. Despite all our accumulated history, learning, and experience, we remember. We remember times when we were too small to reach the light switch on the wall, and when darkness itself was enough to make us cry out in fear...
- Jim Butcher

Have you ever felt despair? Absolute hopelessness? Have you ever stood in the darkness and known, deep in your heart, in your spirit, that it was never, ever going to get better? That something had been lost, forever, and that it wasn't coming back?
- Jim Butcher

My magic. That was at the heart of me. It was a manifestation of what I believed, what I lived. It came from my desire to see to it that someone stood between the darkness and the people it would devour.
- Jim Butcher

Whereas what we need is to fumble around in the darkness, because that's where our lives (not necessarily all of the time, but at least some of the time, and particularly when life gets problematical for us) takes place.
- John Cage

As he still groped for that one moment, Father Dowling began to think that the whole city for years had been whispering its story to him out of the darkness in snatches, in a huge confessional where he could not see the faces...
- Morley Callaghan

The fear of burglars is not only the fear of being robbed, but also the fear of a sudden and unexpected clutch out of the darkness.
- Elias Canetti

Anyone who does not acknowledge the darkness in his nature will succumb to it...the lamp of conviction needs to be shaded by doubt, or it burns with a blinding light.
- Philip Caputo

Closing my eyes doesn't help. Fire burns brighter in the darkness.
- Suzanne Collins

And how I watched my little sister become a human torch. Closing my eyes doesn't help. Fire burns brighter in the darkness.
- Suzanne Collins

Fire burns brighter in the darkness
- Suzanne Collins

They say that instead of cursing the darkness, one should light a candle. Nothing is mentioned, though, about cursing a lack of candles.
- George Carlin

Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle.
- Benjamin Franklin

The perfect stillness of the night was thrilled by a more solemn silence. The darkness held a presence that was all the more felt because it was not seen. I could not any more have doubted that HE was there than that I was. Indeed, I felt myself to be, if possible, the less real of the two.
- William James

It was nice standing out in the darkness, in the damp grass, with spring coming on and a feeling in my heart of imminent disaster.
- Michael Chabon

Bina, thank you. Bina, listen, this guy. His name wasn't Lasker. This guy-'
She puts a hand to his mouth. She has not touched him in three years. It probably would be too much to say that he feels the darkness lift at the touch of her fingertips against his lips. But it shivers, and light bleeds in among the cracks.
- Michael Chabon

While appreciating the beauty around her, Eden considered the darkness that lay ahead.
- Linda Lee Chaikin

Through every rift of discovery some seeming anomaly drops out of the darkness, and falls, as a golden link into the great chain of order.
- Edwin Hubbel Chapin

Even now the wicked spirit lurked there, a glint of mischief in the darkness of heat and desire. It made her smile, and she brought her smile to his mouth and gave it to him. "Miss you," she whispered. "So much.
- Loretta Chase

Out of the darkness came Mr Carsington's deep voice, cool and calm. Pray don't trouble yourselves, gentlemen. It is merely a villain come to cut our throats, rob our stores and ravish our women. No need for alarm. Mrs Pembroke has the matter in hand.
- Loretta Chase

It's how we see the world that keeps the darkness beyond at bay. Keeps it from pouring through and devouring us. I think all of us might know that, way down deep.
- Stephen King

So in that sense, I and my fellow horror writers are absorbing and defusing all your fears and anxieties and insecurities and taking them upon ourselves. We're sitting in the darkness beyond the flickering warmth of your fire, cackling into our caldrons and spitting out spider webs of words, all the time sucking the sickness from your minds and spewing it out into the night.
- Stephen King

When the darkness gets easier, you know you're sinking deeper, becoming dead yourself.
- Lucy Christopher

The curtains decayed
The daylight poured in
I was never afraid
Of the darkness again
My burns were third-degree
But I'd been set free
'Cause grace had finally found its way
To me
- Owl City

One day," he said,"I shall find the right spell and banish the Darkness And on that day I will come to you.
- Susanna Clarke

Yet what happened in fact? In the middle of the night John woke up and saw me sleeping beside him with no doubt a look of peace on my face, even of bliss, bliss is not unattainable in this world. He saw mesaw me as I was at that momenttook fright, hurriedly strapped the armour back over his heart, this time with chains and a double padlock, and stole out into the darkness.
- J M Coetzee

She walked quickly through the darkness with the frank stride of someone who was at least certain that the forest, on this damp and windy night, contained strange and terrible things and she was it.
- Terry Pratchett

They shed a rather unpleasant glow that didn't so much illuminate, as outline the darkness.
- Terry Pratchett

He felt that the darkness was full of unimaginable horrors - and the trouble with unimaginable horrors was that they were only too easy to imagine..
- Terry Pratchett

...Granny Weatherwax, who had walked nightly without fear in the bandit-haunted forests of the mountains all her life in the certain knowledge that the darkness held nothing more terrible than she was..
- Terry Pratchett

Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
- Terry Pratchett

Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.
- Terry Pratchett

The bleak autumn wind was still blowing, and the solemn, surging moan of it in the wood was dreary and awful to hear through the night silence. Issac felt strangely wakeful. He resolved, as he lay down in bed, to keep the candle alight until he began to grow sleepy; for there was something unendurably depressing in the bare idea of lying awake in the darkness, listening to the dismal, ceaseless moan of the wind in the wood. ("The Dream Woman")
- Wilkie Collins

There were a billion lights out there on the horizon and I knew that all of them put together weren't enough to light the darkness in the hearts of some men.
- Michael Connelly

The philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche once wrote that when you look into the darkness of the abyss the abyss looks into you. Probably no other line or thought more inspires or informs my work.
- Michael Connelly

David tried to give a form to the beast at the heart of the poem but found that he could not. It was more difficult than it appeared, for nothing quite seemed to fit. Instead, he could only conjure up a half-formed being that crouched in the cobwebbed corners of his imagination where all the things that he feared curled and slithered upon one another in the darkness.
- John Connolly

... For a lifetime was but a moment in that place, and each man dreams his own heaven.
And in the darkness David closed his eyes, as all that was lost was found again.
- John Connolly

And, in the darkness, David closed his eyes as all that was lost was found again.
- John Connolly

She is the darkness.
- Glen Cook

She stared at the dark shimmer of glass that faced the street. The Clares never pulled curtains. They were comftorable with the dark. But there was another kind of dark. The darkness of minds full of hate.
- Caroline B Cooney

Most people think happiness is about gaining something, but it's not. It's all about getting rid of the darkness you accumulate.
- Carolyn Crane

Moon, moon,
when you leave me alone
all the darkness is
an utter blackness,
a pit of fear,
a stench,
hands unreasonable
never to touch.
But I love you.
Do you love me.
What to say
when you see me.
- Robert Creeley

It is not given to us to know what difference we can make, and perhaps we can make no difference at all. But that is no reason not to make the attempt," said Saliman quietly. "The Light shines more brightly in the darkness.
- Alison Croggon

It is only the darkness in our own hearts that will defeat us, in the end.
- Alison Croggon

The bud of a rose grows in darkness. It knows nothing of the sun, yet it pushes at the darkness that confines it until at last the walls give way and the rose bursts forth, spreading its petals into the light. I love him.
- Donna Woolfolk Cross

But what after all is one night? A short space, especially when the darkness dims so soon, and so soon a bird sings, a cock crows, or a faint green quickens, like a turning leaf, in the hollow of the wave.
- Virginia Woolf

Never did anybody look so sad. Bitter and black, halfway down, in the darkness, in the shaft which ran from the sunlight to the depths, perhaps a tear formed; a tear fell; the waves swayed this way and that, received it, and were at rest. Never did anybody look so sad.
- Virginia Woolf

I push throughthe wind to the north-facing window and stand before it. 'I will bring her back!' I shout into the darkness.
I do this because I know Rhauk will be listening.
- Marianne Curley

There is a sign in the heavens
Another light in the darkness
A better time is beginning
There is a fire star coming
I see the mark of the ice bear
In the tears of the dragon
And you'd better start wishing
There is a fire star coming
Stay with me, my love......
....Until the stars have blinked their last
Wherever on this earth you walk
He will arouse, excite, inspire,
My Valentine, my one dark fire.......

- Chris D Lacey

That is what you meant to me: a light that shone through the darkness. (Your smile, p. 56)
- Chimnese Davids

Do not forget in the darkness what you have been promised in the light.
- Katie J Davis

The light came into the darkness, and the darkness did not understand it, but that no longer mattered because the light was now obliteration the darkness.
- Ted Dekker

The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness cannot understand it
- Ted Dekker

Light came into the darkness, but the darkness didn't understand it," Susan said. "Look to the light. Only the light can save you from yourself.
- Ted Dekker

The light had simply and utterly destroyed the darkness.
- Ted Dekker

I'm not afraid of the darkness outside.
It's the darkness inside houses I don't like.
- Shelagh Delaney

I believe in hope, in what is something called "radical hope." I believe there is hope for all of us, even amid the suffering. And that's why I write fiction, probaby. It's my attempt to keep that fragile strand of radical hope, to buld a fire in the darkness.r
- John Green

From this distance, in the dimness, the model looked surreal, made up of parts filled with buildings, bordered by long stretches of empty space. It reminded me of the way cities and towns look when you are flying at night. You can't make out much. But the places where people have come together, and stayed, are collections of tiny lights, breaking up the darkness.
- Sarah Dessen

Once upon a time, he said out loud to the darkness. He said these words because they were the best, the most powerful words that he knew and just the saying of them comforted him.
- Kate Dicamillo

Morning drew on apace. The air became more sharp and piercing, as its first dull hue: the death of night, rather than the birth of day: glimmered faintly in the sky. The objects which had looked dim and terrible in the darkness, grew more and more defined, and gradually resolved into their familiar shapes. The rain came down, thick and fast; and pattered, noisily, among the leafless bushes.
- Charles Dickens

One has just been sent out as a biblical dove, has found nothing green, and slips back into the darkness of the Ark
- Franz Kafka

the darkness is a cresting wave. It sweeps me up out of my body until I float among the stars, those tine bright pores on the sky's skin. If only I could pass through them, I would end up on the other side, the right side, shadowless, perfectly illuminated, beyond the worries of this mundane world
- Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni

Every hour, Robert thinks, all over the globe, an infinite number of memories disappear, whole glowing atlases dragged into graves. But during that same hour children are moving about, surveying territory that seems to them entirely new. They push back the darkness; they scatter memories behind them like bread crumbs. The world is remade.
- Anthony Doerr

Draw the darkness... and it will point out the light which has been in the paper all the while. Inside this world is folded another." from "Afterworld.
- Anthony Doerr

I will rain down silver and gold for you. I will shatter the black night, break it open, and pour out a million stars. Turn away from the darkness, the madness, the pain. Open your eyes and know that I am here. That I remember and hope. Open your eyes and look at the light.
- Jennifer Donnelly

Turn away. From the darkness, the madness, the pain. Open your eyes and look at the light.
- Jennifer Donnelly

It seems to leave the darkness rather blacker than before.
- Arthur Conan Doyle

Alcohol is barren. The words a man speaks in the night of drunkenness fade like the darkness itself at the coming of day.
- Marguerite Duras

Light up the darkness.
- Bob Marley

How clear everything becomes when you look from the darkness of a dungeon.
- Umberto Eco

...only in the surrender of the light could the darkness prevail.
- David Eddings

Only in the darkness can you see the stars.
- Martin Luther King Jr

Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness.
- Martin Luther King Jr

We are the bright new stars born of a screaming black hole, the nascent suns burst from the darkness, from the grasping void of space that folds and swallows--a darkness that would devour anyone not as strong as we. We are oddities, sideshows, talk show subjects. We capture everyone's imagination.
- Dave Eggers

So the darkness shall be the light, and the stillness the dancing.
- T S Eliot

It is in the darkness of their eyes that men get lost
- Black Elk

I always seem to have a vague feeling that he is a Satan among musicians, a fallen angel in the darkness who is perpetually seeking to fight his way back to happiness.
- Havelock Ellis

I kept staring into the blackness of the woods, drawn into the darkness as I always had been. I suddenly realized how alone I was. (But this is how you travel, the wind whispered back, this is how you've always lived.)
- Bret Easton Ellis

Give light, and the darkness will disappear of itself.
- Desiderius Erasmus

Ravens are the birds I'll miss most when I die. If only the darkness into which we must look were composed of the black light of their limber intelligence. If only we did not have to die at all. Instead, become ravens.
- Louise Erdrich

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fat Person Quotes

She was convinced that she was anorexic, because every time she looked in the mirror she did indeed see a fat person. - Terry Pratchett I sensed immediately that he'd once been overweight. He moved with a fat person's tiptoey apology. - Jennifer Egan I feel self-conscious calling my cat fat in front of a fat person, considering I'm skinny and inconsiderate. - Jarod Kintz I call myself a FFP: former fat person, and when you're an FFP, you will always see in yourself what people used to bully you for. - Kelly Osbourne Well you know, it's true that as a fat person I run a greater risk of heart disease, diabetes, and a number of other things. But guess what? The amount of that risk is almost infinitessimal! - Daniel Pinkwater

Bass Player Quotes

I always just wanted to be the singer or the bass player in the band. I'd love to have a band, where I was obviously the singer, but where it wasn't me, it wasn't my name. - Bryan Adams In jazz, you listen to what the bass player is doing and what the drummer is doing, what the pianist and the guitarist is doing, and then you play something that compliments that, so you are thinking simultaneously and thinking ahead. - David Amram I can understand why some of these drummers and bass players become cult figures with all of their equipment and the incredible amount of technique they have. But there's very little that I think satisfies you intellectually or emotionally. - Ken Burns Jack Bruce, as soon as I saw him, it changed me. I didn't even know what bass players did until I saw Cream. - Geezer Butler Bass players are always the intellectual kind, but nobody knows it. - Stanley Clarke There are a lot of people who can do it on the guitar and sing at the same t...