Skip to main content

The Top Quotes

Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum floats to the top.
- Edward Abbey

Late in August the lure of the mountains becomes irresistible. Seared by the everlasting sunfire, I want to see running water again, embrace a pine tree, cut my initials in the bark of an aspen, get bit by a mosquito, see a mountain bluebird, find a big blue columbine, get lost in the firs, hike above timberline, sunbathe on snow and eat some ice, climb the rocks and stand in the wind at the top of the world on the peak of Tukuhnikivats.
- Edward Abbey

Because they do burn leaves here, the older folks do, and I remember now that I love it and always have. The way fall feels at night because of it, because of the crackling sound and walking around the sidewalks, like when you're a kid, and kicking those soft piles, and seeing smoke from backyards and Mr. Kilstrap standing over the metal drum with the holes in the top, the sparking embers at his feet.
- Megan Abbott

Dennis Hutch had stepped up into the top seat when its founder had died of a lethal overdose of brick wall, taken while under the influence of a Ferrari and a bottle of tequila.
- Douglas Adams

The roughest road often leads to the top.
- Christina Aguilera

The roughest roads often lead to the top.
- Christina Aguilera

But isn't it likely that everyone in this world...has killed someone or other on their way to the top?...All I wanted was a chance to be a man--and for that, one murder is enough.
- Aravind Adiga

Incidentally, sir, while we're on the topic of yoga - may I just say that an hour of deep breathing, yoga, and meditation in the morning constitutes the perfect start to the entrepreneur's day. How I would handle the stresses of this fucking business without yoga, I have no idea. Make yoga a must in all Chinese schools - that's my suggestion.
- Aravind Adiga

But I was wrong. I should have known it wasn't owver, couldn't be over quite easily. No sooner was Xavier out of sight than a little cylinder of paper fell from the top of my locker. As I unrolled it, I knew I'd see black calligraphy crawling across it like a spider. Dread settled around me like a fog as the words burned into my brain:
The Lake of Fire awaits my lady
- Alexandra Adornetto

It's one of the best leagues in Europe in football. Benfica in my opinion is one of the top 10 biggest clubs in the world.
- Freddy Adu

Mitch,if you're trying to show off for people at the top,forget it.They will look down at you anyhow.And if you're trying to show off for people at the bottom,forget it.They will only envy you.Status will get you nowhere.Only an open heart will allow you to float equally between everyone.
- Mitch Albom

It's funny. I met a man once who did a lot of mountain climbing. I asked him which was harder, ascending or descending? He said without a doubt descending, because ascending you were so focused on reaching the top, you avoided mistakes.
The backside of a mountain is a fight against human nature," he said. "You have to care as much about yourself on the way down as you did on the way up.
- Mitch Albom

...if you're trying to show off for people at the top, forget it. They will look down on you anyhow. And if you're trying to show off for people at the bottom, forget it. They will only envy you. Status will get you nowhere. Only an open heart will allow you to float equally between everyone.
- Mitch Albom

Jacob looks like a totally normal young man. He's clearly intelligent. But having his day disrupted probably makes him feel the same way I would if I was suddenly told to bungee off the top of the Sears Tower.
- Jodi Picoult

You can widen the feet of a compass, but they are still attached at the top; you can spin them away from each other, but you always wind up where you started.
- Jodi Picoult

What does it feel like?" he asked.
"What does what feel like?"
Peter thought for a moment. "Being at the top."
Josie reached across him for another packet of material and fed it into the stapler. She did three of
these, and Peter was certain that she was going to ignore him, but then she spoke. "Like if you take
one wrong step," she said, "you're going to fall.
- Jodi Picoult

Grief is a curious thing, when it happens unexpectedly. It is a Band-aid being ripped away, taking the top layer off a family. And the underbelly of a household is never pretty, ours no exception.
- Jodi Picoult

Maybe if everybody in leadership was a woman, you might not get into the conflicts in the first place. But if you watch the women who have made it to the top, they haven't exactly been non-aggressive - including me.
- Madeleine Albright

But I do not believe that the world would be entirely different if there were more women leaders. Maybe if everybody in leadership was a woman, you might not get into the conflicts in the first place. But if you watch the women who have made it to the top, they haven't exactly been non-aggressive - including me.
- Madeleine Albright

Was it worth it?" he asked me, breaking the silence.
"Was what worth it?" I asked, looking up at him.
"Taking a chance with me," he said softly, kissing the top of my head. "Not thinking, going with your gut?"
"It was the best chance I've ever taken," I said, snuggling closer to him and breathing in his familiar scent.
- Monica Alexander

Go back' Taran shouted at the top of his voice.'Have you lost your wits?'
Eilonwy, for it was she, half-halted. She had tucked her plaited hair under a leather helmet. The Princess of Llyr smiled cheerfully at him. 'I understand you're upset,' she shouted back, 'but that's no cause to be rude.' She galloped on.
For a time, Taran could not believe he had really seen her.
- Lloyd Alexander

Don't order any of the faerie food," said Jace, looking at her over the top of his menu. "It tends to make humans a little crazy. One minute you're munching a faerie plum, the next minute you're running naked down Madison Avenue with antlers on your head. Not," he added hastily, "that this has ever happened to me.
- Cassandra Clare

She'd rather hoped for something simple, like a lined piece of notebook paper with MY EVIL PLAN written across the top, but no luck.
- Cassandra Clare

We were taught to be dependable, responsible, the top of our classes at school, the most organized and efficient babysitters in town, the very miniature models of our hardworking farmer/nurse mother, a pair of junior Swiss Army knives, born to multitask.
- Elizabeth Gilbert

Going in, I knew I wasn't one of the top ones, because I didn't even make the pre-season All-American team. That shows you what people thought of me right there, so I knew I had to go to work.
- Marcus Allen

At USC, if you're running back there, and you do gain you over 1,500 yards, people see you as a candidate, but not one of the top ones.
- Marcus Allen

Raining. Oh, brother, a scratch on the fender. Damn rabbi on his unicycle.
Wait a minute, where are my car keys? Could have sworn I left them in this pocket. No, just some loose change and ticket stubs from the all-black version of Elaine Stritch' s one-woman show.
Did I check my desk? Better go back inside. What's in the top drawer here? Hmm. Envelopes, my paper clips, a loaded revolver in case the tenant in 2A begins yodelling again.
- Woody Allen

You know how it is when you're walking up the stairs, and you get to the top, and you think there's one more step? I'm like that all the time.
- Steven Wright

I don't think his elevator went all the way to the top anymore, if you know what I mean
- Janet Evanovich

I rolled my eyes so far into the top of my head I almost fell over backward.
- Janet Evanovich

The blues is the foundation, and it's got to carry the top. The other part of the scene, the rock 'n' roll and the jazz, are the walls of the blues.
- Luther Allison

Then I turned the page and at the top it said THINGS I MISS ABOUT M and there was a list of 15 things, and the first was THE WAY HE HOLDS THINGS. I did not understand how you can miss the way somebody holds things.
- Nicole Krauss

Recently released government economic statistics covering 2010, the first year of real recovery from the financial collapse of 2008, found that fully 93 percent of additional income gains coming out of the recession went straight into the wallets and purses of the top 1 percent.
- Eric Alterman

We're all concerned about the budget. We're all concerned about what's happening financially in our country. There's no question about it. Congress is working day and night. In fact, every time I go home the lights are on at the top of the Capitol.
- James F Amos

Beckett took a step back. "First things first, you weren't lying. She's absolutely gorgeous." Beckett let his gaze roam from Livia's boots to the top of her head. "And you know I'm an expert.
- Debra Anastasia

His eyes tracked the scarlet trail to its beginning: the top of the stairs leading to the parking lot.
My Livia will come to me on this path.
- Debra Anastasia

Her heart would pound as she glimpsed his familiar form from the top of the stairs. Twice she almost wrecked her car because he was staring at her.
- Debra Anastasia

He found her in the corner, dressed like a man.
Shit. If Eve was a man, I would gay it up. Hardcore.
He wanted her to see him like thispowerfully sexual and capable. He pulled Kyle up and found Eve over the top of Fairy Princess's hair. He saw Eve smirk as she watched him move with another woman.
Got her. She's jealous.
- Debra Anastasia

He tried not to topple the tray as he hurried down the hallway to his small room. Kyle was all his for a few more hours. He let the happiness come from his feet to the top of his head.
- Debra Anastasia

When he'd composed himself, Blake kissed the top of her head. Like I could ever say no to you.
- Debra Anastasia

You can't always wait for the guys at the top. Every manager at every level in the organization has an opportunity, big or small, to do something. Every manager's got some sphere of autonomy. Don't pass the buck up the line.
- Bob Anderson

And the Top spoke no more of his old love; for that dies away when the beloved objects has lain for five years in a roof gutter and got wet through; yes, one does not know her again when one meets her in the dust box.
- Hans Christian Anderson

I've been a customer of the top venture capital firms, so I know exactly what they do and don't do.
- Marc Andreessen

Rose pictured him standing at the boundary of the Ogletree house in that enormous fur cape, with a giant sword sticking over his shoulder, roaring at the top of his lungs and then being upset that nobody came out, and laughed.
- Ilona Andrews

I know it's late, but could you find a book for me? It's called The Slavs: Study of Pagan Tradition by Osvintsev."
Barabas sighed dramatically. "Kate, you make me despair. Let's try that again from the top, except this time pretend you are an alpha."
"I don't need a lecture. I just need the book."
"Much better. Little more growl in the voice?"
"Barabas!"
"And we're there. Congratulations!
- Ilona Andrews

I like that people can just look at you and know that you are taken, that you are mine." He closed his eyes and laughed. "And yes, I know that sentiment is at the top of the Women's Liberation Movement's list of things not to say to a modern woman
- Patricia Briggs

He put his chin on the top of my head. "I know." He wrapped both arms around me just above my chest and pulled me against him. - Stefan (Bone Crossed)
- Patricia Briggs

Have you noticed how nobody ever looks up? Nobody looks at chimneys, or trees against the sky, or the tops of buildings. Everybody just looks down at the pavement or their shoes. The whole world could pass them by and most people wouldn't notice.
- Julie Andrews

I'm sick of people sittin' in chairs stating their problems. Then we roll the videotape... then we have our experts on the topic... I'm in the 'What's next?' phase of my career.
- Oprah Winfrey

It sounds really over the top to say you're responsible for the city of New York, but I do feel responsibility to the city of New York, to this country, to people everywhere. So many people were affected by the events of September 11, and I feel this is one of the ways that that event will be understood and defined.
- Michael Arad

Once you let yourself believe that you've gotten to the top, you've lost sight of the real goal. Which is to keep climbing no matter what. And by climbing, I don't mean trying to out do yourself with even more accomplishments. Instead, what I mean is that just when we think we have done something well, we should start looking at the other areas of our lives that need attention.
- David Archuleta

Win told me that one isn't improved by being at the top of the mountain, one is improved by the climb.
- Lisa Kleypas

When you're just an actor, maybe not the top of the list guys, you get constant rejection and it's fun.
- David Arquette

I take a slow sip of lukewarm coffee, reopen the book, and read the words scribbled in red ink near the top: Everyone needs an olly-olly-oxen-free.
- Jay Asher

I grabbed my shot of tequila. Then I tossed it back. When I put my empty down to the bar and after I took in a deep breath, I informed her, I like you. I need a new best friend. I've added you to the top of a list that has one name. Yours.
- Kristen Ashley

The cherry poppin' conversation in your living room was the topic of conversation for days. Mace taped it and played it for the whole team." I was back to staring at him with my mouth open and I think my heart stopped beating. "Look at this as your way of getting even," he finished.
"That's it!" I declared. "No cooked for Mace. I don't care if he did beat someone up for me.
- Kristen Ashley

Hart pointed at the carriage. "Get in."
Eleanor started, and the cake vendor, who'd been watching with evident enjoyment, looked worried. "No need," Eleanor said to Hart. "I'll find a hansom. I've brought Maigdlin an I have so many parcels."
"Get into the carriage, El, or I'll strap you to the top of it."
Eleanor rolled her eyes and took another bite of seedcake.
- Jennifer Ashley

Just a little off the top!- A. Boleyn
- Robert Asprin

The higher up you go, the more mistakes you are allowed. Right at the top, if you make enough of them, it's considered to be your style.
- Fred Astaire

It was like being in an elevator cut loose at the top. Falling, falling, and not knowing when you will hit.
- Margaret Atwood

Ook, though very clever, was the worst fighter in the tribe. That is how he ended up with Grot-Grot as his woman. Grot-Grot had a bald patch on the top of her head, she was missing an eye and she smelled like a dead skunk. She did have a good sense of humour though.
- Aussiescribbler

Sebastian Grey.
The worrds rang like a miserable moan in her head. On the list of men she ought not to be kissing, he had to rank at the top, along with the King, Lord Liverpool, and the chimney sweep.
- Julia Quinn

Over the tops of it, beginning to dusk under a young white moon, trailed a wavering ghost of smoke, and at the end of it I came upon the Pocket Hunter making a dry camp in the friendly scrub.
- Mary Austin

They look for the top note to end every song. They don't know what they are singing about. There is no style.
- Frankie Avalon

You can't truly appreciate the top if you've never hit rock bottom.
- Vanna B

The first week of August hangs at the very top of summer, the top of the live-long year, like the highest seat of a Ferris wheel when it pauses in its turning.
- Natalie Babbitt

Dignify and glorify common labor. It is at the bottom of life that we must begin, not at the top.
- Booker T Washington

I then realized my appearance was a bit odd. My right leg was no longer with me. It had caught somewhere in the top of the cockpit as I tried to leave my Spitfire.
- Douglas Bader

I very rarely came across rude or disrespectful people. I don't know how I slipped by all of them, but I honestly can't think of one experience off the top of my head that was like that. I'm sure they're there, but I'd have to think really hard to recall them.
- Scott Baio

Sometimes you move publicly, sometimes privately. Sometimes quietly, sometimes at the top of your voice.
- James Baker

I enjoy doing digital work. I enjoy sculpting digitally. I've had my digital sculptures on covers of the top digital magazines.
- Rick Baker

We've grown from 18% of the profits of the top 25 companies in our industry to 23% of the profits of the top 25 companies in our industry over the last five years. Profits are up over 70%, where the industry profit is up about 35%. Pretty good.
- Steve Ballmer

You know, when I was in Paris, seeing Linter for the first time, I was standing at the top of some steps in the courtyard where Linter's place was, and I looked across it and there was a little notice on the wall saying it was forbidden to take photographs of the courtyard without the man's permission. [..] They want to own the light!
- Iain Banks

My aunt used to call me light bulb head because my head is small at the bottom and bigger at the top. But it was a term of endearment.
- Tyra Banks

I lived on the top of one hill and the school was at the top of another hill. Nobody ever went to school by car - we didn't have any cars during the war. So that to and from school was itself a training.
- Roger Bannister

Look, I'm in the top 20 of players who ever lived.
- Charles Barkley

Are you suggesting I'm not normal? (Nykyrian)
Oh yeah, baby, you ooze normality. From the top of that assassin's braid to the tip of those boots that I'm pretty sure conceal retractable blades. You're just an average joe. No doubt about it. Cause, you know, everyone sits for hours doing nothing but typing. (Kiara)
- Sherrilyn Kenyon

Yeah, but I don't want to be in pain, and I definitely don't want to suffer." Nick
"Well...The only way to avoid them is to die." Death
"Okay, let's change the topic now. Oh, look! A chicken." Nick
- Sherrilyn Kenyon

Kid?" Kyrian
"I'm not worthy." Nick
"What?" Kyrian
"Dude, that's a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Alfa Romeo, Aston Martin, and Bentley. And I'm not talking the cheap models. Those are the top of the top of the top of the line, fully loaded. I swear, that's real gold trim in the Bugatti. There's more money in metal in here than my brain can even tabulate. Oh my God! I shouldn't even be breathing the same air." Nick
- Sherrilyn Kenyon

What do you want, Acheron? (Artemis)
You know what I want. After all I'm the top of the Food Chain and you...you're the Food. (Acheron)
- Sherrilyn Kenyon

I'm the top of the food chain and well...you're the food.
- Sherrilyn Kenyon

Nerd boy? Where he? (Biff)
'Okay...sad that they couldn't even form a complete sentence. See what happens when you abuse steroids? Dudes should have read the warning label. First the penis shrinks, then the sentence structure deteriorates. Next thing you know, you're climbing to the top of the Empire State Building, swatting at planes with your oversized fists.' (Nick)
- Sherrilyn Kenyon

When a new baby laughs for the first time a new fairy is born, and as there are always new babies there are always new fairies. They live in nests on the tops of trees; and the mauve ones are boys and the white ones are girls, and the blue ones are just little sillies who are not sure what they are.
- James M Barrie

One lapse of judgment can cost and talent isn't everything. A huge slice of good fortune in needed to make it to the top, and without that element of luck, you've no chance.
- John Barrow

I love roller coasters that make my stomach drop. One ride in Las Vegas, the Big Shot, straps you into a row of seats and catapults you into the air from the top of the Stratosphere Tower - then plummets back down. I ride it over and over; it's exhilarating.
- Drew Barrymore

Analyses of the movie marketplace points to an interesting phenomenon: High-profile movies are continuing to do well year-to-year in the U.S. and overseas - this past summer, for example, the top 10 movies registered at the same level as in '04.
- Peter Bart

Don't try to buy at the bottom and sell at the top. It can't be done except by liars.
- Bernard Baruch

It's easier to go down a hill than up it but the view is much better at the top.
- Henry Ward Beecher

Science is the topography of ignorance.
- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Obviously, the competitor in you, you want to be in the top three every time in the pool.
- Amanda Beard

Look, calling somebody in a wheelchair handicapable doesnt all of a sudden give them the power to climb stairs or the ability to grab Ho-Hos off the top shelf.
- Glenn Beck

ESTRAGON:
Do you think God sees me?
VLADIMIR:
You must close your eyes.
Estragon closes his eyes, staggers worse.
ESTRAGON:
(stopping, brandishing his fists, at the top of his voice.) God have pity on me!
VLADIMIR:
(vexed). And me?
ESTRAGON:
On me! On me! Pity! On me!
- Samuel Beckett

The gods had condemned Sisyphus to ceaselessly rolling a rock to the top of a mountain, whence the stone would fall back of its own weight. They had thought with some reason that there is no more dreadful punishment than futile and hopeless labor.
- Albert Camus

The quickest way to the top, is getting off your bottom
- Benny Bellamacina

I have a showroom where we experiment with twelve cakes. We develop sketches and ideas for cakes for the next season. We work with the top fashion designers to see what type of lace they are using or work with the top florist for us to be able to make various sugar roses or flowers.
- Ron Benisrael

Evening of a hot day started the little wind to moving among the leaves. The shade climbed up the hills toward the top. On the sand banks the rabbits sat as quietly as little gray, sculptured stones.
- John Steinbeck

Someone's got to do these things,' he said sullenly. 'Or else fate would not ever get nose-thumbed and mankind would still be clinging to the top branches of a tree.
- John Steinbeck

Sometimes in the summer evenings they walked up the hill to watch the afterglow clinging to the tops of the western mountains and to feel the breeze drawn into the valley by the rising day-heated air. Usually they stood silently for a while and breathed in peacefulness. Since both were shy they never talked about themselves. Neither knew about the other at all.
- John Steinbeck

It is easier to go down a hill than up, but the view is from the top.
- Arnold Bennett

Great Groups need to know that the person at the top will fight like a tiger for them.
- Warren Bennis

Great Groups need to know that the person at the top will fight like a tiger for them.
- Warren G Bennis

It wasn't like there was some obvious change. Actually, the problem was more a lack of change. Nothing about her had changed - the way she spoke, her clothes, the topics she chose to talk about, her opinions - they were all the same as before. Their relationship was like a pendulum gradually grinding to a halt, and he felt out of synch.
- Haruki Murakami

The point is, not to resist the flow. You go up when you're supposed to go up and down when you're supposed to go down. When you're supposed to go up, find the highest tower and climb to the top. When you're supposed to go down, find the deepest well and go down to the bottom. When there's no flow, stay still. If you resist the flow, everything dries up. If everything dries up, the world is darkness.
- Haruki Murakami

You know what I'd really like to do the most right now? Climb up to the top of some high place like the pyramids. The highest place I can find. Where you can see forever. Stand on the very top, look all around the world, see all the scenery, and see with my own eyes what's been lost from the world.
- Haruki Murakami

Fear of God is a beginning of knowledge.
The fear lessened on a higher knowledge.
Walk with God is on the top of knowledge.
- Toba Beta

To be positive is to be mistaken at the top of one's voice.
- Ambrose Bierce

Positive, adj.: Mistaken at the top of one's voice.
- Ambrose Bierce

But he sleeps on the top of his mast
with his eyes closed tight.
The gull inquired into his dream,
which was, I must not fall.
The spangled sea below wants me to fall.
It is hard as diamonds; it wants to destroy us all.
- Elizabeth Bishop

I know that government doesn't have the all solutions that real solutions do not come from the top down. Instead, the ways to end poverty come from all of us. We are part of the solution.
- Kathleen Blanco

The amount of work and the amount of both physical and emotional investment it takes to get to the top.
- Drew Bledsoe

I don't believe in things like that - fairies or brownies or magic or anything. It's old-fashioned.'
'Well, we must be jolly old-fashioned then,' said Bessie. 'Because we not only believe in the Faraway Tree and love our funny friends there, but we go to see them too - and we visit the lands at the top of the Tree as well!
- Enid Blyton

The American people are screaming at the top of their lungs to Washington, 'Stop! Stop the spending, stop the job-killing policies.' And yet, Democrats in Washington refuse to listen to the American people.
- John Boehner

The Top 40 is geared toward 20 and under, not 20 and up. That's the audience I'm geared to.
- Michael Bolton

My second favorite household chore is ironing. My first being hitting my head on the top bunk bed until I faint.
- Erma Bombeck

I'm not afraid to be lonely at the top.
- Barry Bonds

One of the most amazing locations I've ever been is the top of the volcano in Tanzania, Africa. It's an actual volcano where you really have this lava every day.
- Jan De Bont

Never before had she seen such creatures, though they looked much live very large, very shaggy white goats. Thin black horns punctuated the top of their long faces.
You look like a collection of grandfathers, she thought, amused.
- Tamora Pierce

POLONIUS My lord, the queen would speak with you, and presently.
HAMLET Do you see yonder cloud that's almost in shape of a camel?
POLONIUS By th'mass, and 'tis like a camel indeed.
HAMLET Methinks it is like a weasel.
POLONIUS It is backed like a weasel.
HAMLET Or like a whale?
POLONIUS Very like a whale.
HAMLET Then I will come to my mother by and by. - They fool me to the top of my bent. - I will come by and by.
- William Shakespeare

... a stiff breeze had claimed Athens, filling bedrooms, rearranging the tops of desks, touching everything and nothing, as if searching for something it no longer recognized.
- Simon Van Booy

Don't go downhill just because it's easy. The view is only visible from the top.
- Destiny Booze

I've never been in a band where someone goes, 'Ah, I've got the perfect name! And it's because I climbed Mount Fuji, and at the top a golden dove came down...' It's always a bunch of guys sitting around going, 'How about Rotten Chipmunks?'
- Wes Borland

A day can start out ordinary and end up being in the top ten. Joe Bunch
- James Howe

There is nothing more exciting in sport when the top two countries in the world are battling for the Ashes.
- Ian Botham

Getting to the top has an unfortunate tendency to persuade people that the system is OK after all.
- Alain De Botton

I wanna scream I love you from the top of my lungs
But I'm afraid that someone else will hear me
- Fall Out Boy

Mountain hikes instilled in me a life-long urge to get to the top of any inviting summit or peak.
- Paul D Boyer

There was no way out; not, at least, in this direction. I was like a hamster that had climbed to the top of the ladder in its cage and found there was nowhere to go but down. But surely hamsters knew in their hamster hearts that escape was futile; it was only we humans who were incapable of accepting our own helplessness.
- Alan Bradley

I had no experience with broadcasting basketball games, so I took a tape recorder and went to a playground where there was a summer league, and I stood up in the top of the stands and I called the game.
- Ed Bradley

How do you invent a religion?" Evie asked.
Will looked over the top of his spectacles. "You say, 'God told me the following,' and then wait for people to sign up.
- Libba Bray

Usually, I avoid the topic by shoving food into my mouth then making "I'm sorry, as you can see, it would be rude for me to speak" hand signals
- Libba Bray

Her eyes take on that suspicious, wounded look girls get when they know they've fallen off the top rung of friendship and someone else has passed them, but they don't know when or how the change took place.
- Libba Bray

The defeats and victories of the fellows at the top aren't always defeats and victories for the fellows at the bottom.
- Bertolt Brecht

Well," Nick said as Alan gave him a stern look over the top of his glasses and Nick rolled his eyes and buckled his seat belt. "Let's examine the events of the past twenty-four hours in Exeter. Ravens in the kitchen, snakes in the living room, demon marks on you, magicians sending us stupid messages, and at the end of it all you got was the boy's telephone number.
- Sarah Rees Brennan

If stakes and garlic were the top two things that could kill a vampire, ninth grade gym was a close third.
- Heather Brewer

Hollering at the top of his voice, a little boy walks by a cranky old man. "Boy, why are you a hollering as I walk by?" The little boy replies, "Old man, why are you walking by when I am a hollering.
- Nancy B Brewer

When I was growing up, I always knew I'd be in the top of my class in math, and that gave me a lot of self-confidence.
- Sergey Brin

Speaking generally, people who are drawn to journalism are interested in what happens from the ground up less than they are from the top down.
- Tom Brokaw

The person interested in success has to learn to view failure as a healthy, inevitable part of the process of getting to the top.
- Joyce Brothers

The topic of compassion is not at all religious business; it is important to know it is human business, it is a question of human survival.
- Dalai Lama

Is bankrupting this great country the top priority of this administration?
- Corrine Brown

I think the obsession with wanting to change yourself is crazy over the top.
- Julie Brown

People do not wander around and then find themselves at the top of Mount Everest.
- Zig Ziglar

Ability can take you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there
- Zig Ziglar

I think we just need to stick to our knitting on the topics and the subjects the American people care about.
- Sam Brownback

Like dogs in a wheel, birds in a cage, or squirrels in a chain, ambitious men still climb and climb, with great labor, and incessant anxiety, but never reach the top.
- Robert Burton

It may not look it, but all the glass on Earth is flowing downwards under the relentless drag of gravity. Remove a pane of really old glass from the window of a European cathedral and it will be noticeably thicker at the bottom than at the top.
- Bill Bryson

For the Word of God is not received by faith if it flits about in the top of the brain, but when it takes root in the depth of the heart... the heart's distrust is greater than the mind's blindness. It is harder for the heart to be furnished with assurance [of God's love] than for the mind to be endowed with thought.
- John Calvin

the way to create art is to burn and destroy
ordinary concepts and to substitute them
with new truths that run down from the top of the head
and out of the heart
- Charles Bukowski

When Ginsburg is at the top of his game you might as well put down your toys and listen.
- Charles Bukowski

The pinup girl, Betty Grable, sprayed her bare butt and breasts with hairspray until they were wet. That way the top and bottom of her swimsuit
stayed glued where she wanted. Hairspray inside your high heels works the same way.
- Chuck Palahniuk

The skin along the parts in her hair, the skin above and behind the doctor's ears, is as clear and white as the skin inside her other tan lines must look. If women knew how their ears come across, the firm fleshy edge, the little dark hood at the top, all the smooth contours coiled and channeling you to the tight darkness inside, well, more women would wear their hair down.
- Chuck Palahniuk

Hazel screamed at the top of her lungs, but it was a scream of delight. For the first time in her life-in her two lives-she felt absolutely unstoppable.
- Rick Riordan

What exactly did you find in Atlanta?"
Frank unzipped his backpack and started bringing out souvenirs. "Some peach preserves. A couple of T-shirts. A snow globe. And, um, these not-really-Chinese handcuffs."
Annabeth forced herself to stay calm. "How about you start from the topof the story, not the backpack.
- Rick Riordan

My glowing form was so heavy, its feet sank into the top of the tank.
"Sekhmet!" I yelled.
The lioness whirled and snarled, trying to locate my voice.
"Up here, kitty!" I called.
She spotted me and her ears went back. "Horus?"
'Unless you know another guy with a falcon head.
- Rick Riordan

Jeez, Hazel," Percy said, "tell your horse to watch his language."
Hazel tried not to laugh. "What did he say?"
"With the cussing removed? He said he can get us to the top."
Frank looked incredulous. "I thought the horse couldn't fly!"
This time Arion whinnied so angrily, even Hazel could guess he was cursing.
"Dude," Percy told the horse, "I've gotten suspended for saying less than that..
- Rick Riordan

When in doubt, start from the top.
-Jason Grace
- Rick Riordan

What did he say?" Hazel asked.
"With the cussing removed? He said he can get us to the top," Percy replied.
- Rick Riordan

Before Keto could notice, Hedge pointed towards the top of the amphitheater. It looked like he might be screaming, Gods of Olympus, what is that?
Keto turned. Coach Hedge promptly took off his fake foot and ninja-kicked her in the back of the head with his goat hoof.
- Rick Riordan

The robin flew from his swinging spray of ivy on to the top of the wall and he opened his beak and sang a loud, lovely trill, merely to show off. Nothing in the world is quite as adorably lovely as a robin when he shows off - and they are nearly always doing it.
- Frances Hodgson Burnett

The stars are forth, the moon above the tops
Of the snow-shining mountains--beautiful!
I linger yet with nature, for the night
Hath been to me a more familiar face
Than that of man, and in her starry shade
Of dim and solitary loveliness
I learned the language of another world.
- George Byron

Froth at the top, dregs at bottom, but the middle excellent.
- Voltaire

We need to lower tax rates for everybody, starting with the top corporate tax rate. We need to simplify the tax code. The ultimate answer, in my opinion, is the fair tax, which is a fair tax for everybody, because as long as we still have this messed-up tax code, the politicians are going to use it to reward winners and losers.
- Herman Cain

Can we agree to a decent working rapport, here? Because I really don't have time for this, and I can always stuff you back in the bottle and shove a tampon in the top instead of a stopper, and all the other Djinn will point and laugh
- Rachel Caine

Claire watched as Shane hunted around and came up with a small crowbar, which he used to lever open the seals on the top of the barrel. The top was hinged in the middle, Claire realized, and he flipped that part over. "Score," he said, and raised the crowbar in triumph. "Who's your daddy?"
Myrnin stared at him as if he'd gone completely mental. "Excuse me?"
"Figure of speech," Claire said hastily.
- Rachel Caine

...I can always stuff you back in the bottle and shove a tampon in the top instead of a stopper, and all the other Djinn will point and laugh-
- Rachel Caine

She was almost at the top of the steps, and Shane was right behind her, when she heard Myrnin say, in a quiet voice that was like the old Myrnin, the one she actually liked,
I'm sorry, Claire.
I never meant - I'm sorry. Sometimes I don't know... I don't know what I am thinking. I wish... I wish things could be like they were before.
- Rachel Caine

As I was smoothing on the last handful across the top of my thigh, I noticed I had company. Lewus was standing there watching me, eyes half-closed but not in the least sleepy. He'd put on his blue jeans, but nothing else... very sexy.
I couldn't help but take in the view.
- Rachel Caine

When you reach the top, that's when the climb begins.
- Michael Caine

If I have stepped on some people at times because I am at the top, it couldn't be helped. What should I do if someone gets hurt... retire?
- Maria Callas

All that political stuff Delano was doing. Me, I've gone off the top, into total fantasy.
- Eddie Campbell

There is perhaps nothing worse than reaching the top of the ladder
and discovering that you're on the wrong wall.
- Joseph Campbell

The devil takes us to the top of an exceeding high mountain and makes us dizzy; but God lets us look at the mountain.
- Gilbert K Chesterton

Basil Grant and I were talking one day in what is perhaps the most
perfect place for talking on earth--the top of a tolerably deserted
tramcar. To talk on the top of a hill is superb, but to talk on the
top of a flying hill is a fairy tale.
- Gilbert K Chesterton

I do still have some of the experience from playing, but it's been so long since I've been out in those quarters, semis, finals, the important final matches, just against the top players.
- Jennifer Capriati

I am really only interested in new information, not freelance opinion. I don't really care what you think off the top of your head.
- Tucker Carlson

The only way to make beauty ugly is to show it's crazy. Like twisting the top off a jar of something wonderful to eat, the moment he's hit by the terrible smell of it gone bad, even the hungriest person will drop the jar in the trash without a second thought.
- Jonathan Carroll

In the sea of words, the in print is foam, surf bubbles riding the top. And it's a dark sea, and deep, where divers need lights on their helmets and would perish at the lower depths.
- Jonathan Lethem

The dentist swiveled on his heels and disappeared, leaving me there to massage my jaw back into feeling after its brief, masochistic marriage to the top of my wooden desk.
- Jonathan Lethem

Maybe that is the best lesson I learned in my first semester at Yale, because if I had gone to a less-demanding school and continued to sail along on the top, I am sure I would never have attained the subsequent achievements in my life.
- Ben Carson

If we recognize our talents and use them appropriately, and choose a field that uses those talents, we will rise to the top of our field.
- Ben Carson

I would like my album to be on the pop side with a little bit of soul. I would like to make music that is on the top of the charts right now.
- Hollie Cavanagh

The rich pay more in total taxes now than ever before - ever. It's true. Just like it's true that when the rich are convinced they're going to be taxed more, they spend less. And when the top few percenters don't spend, there goes all your spending, because they account for half of all retail spending.
- Neil Cavuto

My own dreams fortunately came true in this great state. I became Mr. Universe; I became a successful businessman. And even though some people say I still speak with a slight accent, I have reached the top of the acting profession.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger

Within psychology and neuroscience, some new and rigorous experimental paradigms for studying consciousness have helped it begin to overcome the stigma that has been attached to the topic for most of this century.
- David Chalmers

The top 10 per cent of the US population appropriated 91 per cent of income growth between 1989 and 2006, while the top 1 per cent took 59 per cent.
- Ha Joon Chang

I think when you've played at the level that I've played, anything outside the top 10 in certain aspects is just a number, unless you're obviously trying to get into tournaments and stuff.
- Michael Chang

I climbed a path and from the top looked up-stream towards Chile. I could see the river, glinting and sliding through the bone-white cliffs with strips of emerald cultivation either side. Away from the cliffs was the desert. There was no sound but the wind, whirring through thorns and whistling through dead grass, and no other sign of life but a hawk, and a black beetle easing over white stones.
- Bruce Chatwin

Flip-flop, hippety-hop, offa your rocker and over the top, life's a fiction and the world's a lie, so put on some Creedence and let's get high.
- Stephen King

There were no violins or warning bells when I pulled the janitor's theme off the top of the stack and set it before me, no sense that my little life was about to change. But we never know, do we? Life turns on a dime.
- Stephen King

May you find your Tower, Roland, and breach it, and may you climb to the top!
- Stephen King

Yet suppose further. Suppose that all worlds, all universes, met at a single nexus, a single pylon, a Tower. And within it, a stairway, perhaps rising to the Godhead itself. Would you dare climb to the top, gunslinger? Could it be that somewhere above all of endless reality, there exists a room?...'
You dare not.'
And in the gunslinger's mind, those words echoed: You dare not.
- Stephen King

The gunslinger said, "I used to think the most terrible thing would be to reach the Dark Tower and find the top room empty. The God of all universes either dead or nonexistent in the first place. But now...suppose there is someone there, Eddie? Someone in charge who turns out to be..." He couldn't finish.
Eddie could. "Someone who turns out to be just another bumhug? Is that it? God not dead but feeble-minded and malicious?
- Stephen King

There were fourteen steps exactly fourteen. But the top one was smaller, out of proportion, as if it had been added to avoid the evil number.
- Stephen King

She dreamed of going into the dining room and finding a woman bound with chains to the long Ethan Allen table there. The woman was naked except for a black leather hood that covered the top half of her face. I don't know that woman, that woman is a stranger to me, she thought in her dream, and then from beneath the hood Petra said: 'Mama, is that you?
- Stephen King

I have never felt like I was creating anything. For me, writing is like walking through a desert and all at once, poking up through the hardpan, I see the top of a chimney. I know there's a house under there, and I'm pretty sure that I can dig it up if I want. That's how I feel. It's like the stories are already there. What they pay me for is the leap of faith that says: If I sit down and do this, everything will come out OK.
- Stephen King

Do you realize that I have had five albums in the Top 30. Elvis and The Beatles have never done that. I had five singles in the Top 5, I mean, no one's ever done that.
- Chubby Checker

You got to have people at the top who respond to and are selected by presidents.
- Dick Cheney

I've been screaming at the top of my lungs at my family, 'Work out! Work out! Old age is coming!'
- Cher

I had a notepad and I wrote down 30 things to make myself better just off the top of my head, and the next day I started to do that.
- Kenny Chesney

I know what it takes to get to the top.
- Linford Christie

I will not accept a new wave of fiscal retrenchment, of belt-tightening, without asking people at the top to make their contribution, to make an additional contribution. I don't think you can ask people on middle and low incomes, who, after all, are the vast majority of the British population, to bear the brunt of this adjustment.
- Nick Clegg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fat Person Quotes

She was convinced that she was anorexic, because every time she looked in the mirror she did indeed see a fat person. - Terry Pratchett I sensed immediately that he'd once been overweight. He moved with a fat person's tiptoey apology. - Jennifer Egan I feel self-conscious calling my cat fat in front of a fat person, considering I'm skinny and inconsiderate. - Jarod Kintz I call myself a FFP: former fat person, and when you're an FFP, you will always see in yourself what people used to bully you for. - Kelly Osbourne Well you know, it's true that as a fat person I run a greater risk of heart disease, diabetes, and a number of other things. But guess what? The amount of that risk is almost infinitessimal! - Daniel Pinkwater

Bass Player Quotes

I always just wanted to be the singer or the bass player in the band. I'd love to have a band, where I was obviously the singer, but where it wasn't me, it wasn't my name. - Bryan Adams In jazz, you listen to what the bass player is doing and what the drummer is doing, what the pianist and the guitarist is doing, and then you play something that compliments that, so you are thinking simultaneously and thinking ahead. - David Amram I can understand why some of these drummers and bass players become cult figures with all of their equipment and the incredible amount of technique they have. But there's very little that I think satisfies you intellectually or emotionally. - Ken Burns Jack Bruce, as soon as I saw him, it changed me. I didn't even know what bass players did until I saw Cream. - Geezer Butler Bass players are always the intellectual kind, but nobody knows it. - Stanley Clarke There are a lot of people who can do it on the guitar and sing at the same t...