Skip to main content

At Birth Quotes

Thou shalt not commit adultry is a command which makes no distinction between the following persons. They are all required to obey it: children at birth. Children in the cradle. School children. Youths and maidens. Fresh adults. Older ones. Men and women of 40. Of 50. Of 60. Of 70. Of 80. Of 100. The command does not distribute its burden equally, and cannot. It is not hard upon the three sets of children.
- Mark Twain

The knowledge of that land's geography...'east o' the sun, west o' the moon'...is priceless lore, not to be bought in any market place. It must be the gift of the good fairies at birth and the years can never deface it or take it away. It is better to possess it, living in a garret, than to be the inhabitant of palaces without it.
- L M Montgomery

Never underestimate the will of a creature who begins to die at birth.
- Lyn Benedict

From the photo albums, every single print of her had been peeled away. Shots of the both of us together had been cut, the parts with her neatly trimmed away, leaving my image behind. Photos of me alone or of mountains and rivers and deer and cats were left intact. Three albums rendered into a revised past. It was as if I'd been alone at birth, alone all my days, and would continue alone.
- Haruki Murakami

We can't ignore right-wing demagogues who insist that the word of the doctor who proclaims a child's sex at birth somehow holds more sway over the reality of the body than the word of the person who inhabits it. - Gwendolyn Ann Smith
- Kate Bornstein

I was slightly brain damaged at birth, and I want people like me to see that they shouldn't let a disability get in the way. I want to raise awareness - I want to turn my disability into ability.
- Susan Boyle

Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death.
- Albert Einstein

No True Talent is fully organic. Yet the superior talented have not only control of study but that extra special, little gift at birth--fueled by passion.A built in, totally spiritual, unexplainable, New Age,fuckin cosmic energy bursting love for passion. And yes,they are an even smaller percent amongst the small percent. And they are special!
- Kurt Cobain

Nothing of value is free. Even the breath of life is purchased at birth only through gasping effort and pain.
- Robert A Heinlein

Delusions are often functional. A mother's opinions about her children's beauty, intelligence, goodness, et cetera ad nauseam, keep her from drowning them at birth.
- Robert A Heinlein

Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?
- Anita Diamant

you got a sad story, ruth,' mimba said. 'but not sad-sad. you here with me and cato and all us together now. you have a happy-sad story. best you can get in this life is happy-sad. but you always gotta remember your own mama that birthed you. even though you only got a crumb of her story, you still got to say her name out loud. you always honor your dead, else you get trouble from them, sure.
- Anita Diamant

Although I have felt compelled to write things down since I was five years old, I doubt that my daughter ever will, for she is a singularly blessed and accepting child, delighted with life exactly as life presents itself to her, unafraid to go to sleep and unafraid to wake up. Keepers of private notebooks are a different breed altogether, lonely and resistant rearrangers of things, anxious malcontents, children afflicted apparently at birth with some presentiment of loss.
- Joan Didion

Keepers of private notebooks are a different breed altogether, lonely and resistant rearrangers of things, anxious malcontents, children afflicted apparently at birth with some presentiment of loss.
- Joan Didion

Only with our government are you given a certificate at birth, a license at marriage, and a bill at death.
- Jennifer Dunn

I believe that birth control is just like every other medication even though it's a controlled substance.
- Rima Fakih

I am still a little afraid of missing something if I forget that, as my father snobbishly suggested, and I snobbishly repeat, a sense of the fundamental decencies is parcelled out unequally at birth.
- F Scott Fitzgerald

A sense of the fundamental decencies is parcelled out unequally at birth.
- F Scott Fitzgerald

Remember, most of us got something for nothing the first time just by showing up here at birth. Now we have to qualify.
- Robert Fulghum

At birth, we emerge from dream soup.
At death, we sink back into dream soup.
In between soups, there is a crossing of dry land.
Life is a portage.
- Tom Robbins

While the restraining force of a higher authority was denounced in school, and the moral basis for decrying crime as immoral was discarded, moral relativism also demolished the ethical foundations of the very laws that criminals were breaking. If there is no Creator that imparts rights, an individual has no rights at birth. The only rights a person may have are determined by majority opinion.
- Daniel Greenup

You know, it's pretty easy reading this book to see why I was angry and confused for all those years. I lived my life being told different stories: some true, some lies and I still don't know which is which. Children are born innocent. At birth we are very much like a new hard drive - no viruses, no bad information, no crap that's been downloaded into it yet. It's what we feed into that hard drive, or in my case "head drive" that starts the corruption of the files.
- Nikki Sixx

A clone would make a great birthday gift, because it's the only gift that keeps on giving. At least it'd better give me a birthday present every year. It owes its life to me.
- Jarod Kintz

It is hard to have patience with people who say, 'There is no death' or 'Death doesn't matter.' There is death. And whatever is matters. And whatever happens has consequences, and it and they are irrevocable and irreversible. You might as wel say that birth doesn't matter.
- C S Lewis

The two big advantages I had at birth were to have been born wise and to have been born in poverty.
- Sophia Loren

Our ancestors derived less from life than we do, but they also expected much less and were less intent on controlling the future. We are of the arrogant generations who believe a lasting happiness was promised to us at birth. Promised? By whom?
- Amin Maalouf

The world that birthed that story is long gone, all its people are dead, but it continues to touch the present and future because someone cared enough about that world to keep it. To put it in words. To remember it.
- Isaac Marion

Discovering vocation does not mean scrambling toward some prize just beyond my reach but accepting the treasure of true self I already possess. Vocation does not come from a voice out there calling me to be something I am not. It comes from a voice in here calling me to be the person I was born to be, to fulfill the original selfhood given me at birth by God.
- Thomas Merton

There should be a vaccine against Adam Black. And all women should be given it at birth.
- Karen Marie Moning

Somehow liberals have been unable to acquire from life what conservatives seem to be endowed with at birth: namely, a healthy skepticism of the powers of government agencies to do good.
- Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I was born on the eighteenth of December, 1935, in the town Bourg-en-Bresse, about thirty miles northeast of Lyon, the second of three sons of Jeanne and Jean-Victor Pepin. Weighing only two and one half pounds, I nearly died at birth.
- Jacques Pepin

Beauty, unlike the rest of the gifts handed out at birth, does not require dedication, patience and hard work to pay off. But it's also the only gift that does not keep on giving.
- Paulina Porizkova

You know, there's that silly saying 'We're born alone and we die alone' -it's nonsense. We're surrounded at birth and surrounded at death. It is in between that we're alone.
- Tom Rachman

Life is a disease, brother, and death begins already at birth. Every breath, every heartbeat, is a moment of dying - a little shove toward the end.
- Erich Maria Remarque

Those who scorn you taunt only themselves -- I knew this without reading one word; because in reading one is reminded of the truth man is given at birth -- by man I mean man and woman.
- David Adams Richards

We are biology. We are reminded of this at the beginning and the end, at birth and at death. In between we do what we can to forget.
- Mary Roach

Life contains these things: leakage and wickage and discharge, pus and snot and slime and gleet. We are biology. We are reminded of this at the beginning and the end, at birth and at death. In between we do what we can to forget.
- Mary Roach

We are born weak, we need strength; helpless, we need aid; foolish, we need reason. All that we lack at birth, all that we need when we come to man's estate, is the gift of education.
- Jeanjacques Rousseau

I am exceedingly lucky that my voice, along with perfect pitch and perfect rhythm, was given me at birth.
- Kate Smith

Then you begin to give up the very idea of belonging. Suddenly this thing, this belonging,it seems like some long, dirty lie... and I begin to believe that birthplaces are accidents, that everything is an accident. But if you believe that, where do you go? What do you do? What does anything matter?
- Zadie Smith

That's what birthdays were. Days when you found out where you stood. Who was on your side and who wasn't. Nothing to do with how old you were.
- Rupert Thomson

All of us humans have myriad other species to thank. Without them, we couldn't exist. It's that simple, and we can't afford to ignore them, anymore than I can afford to neglect my precious wife--nor the sweet mother Earth that births and holds us all.
Without us, Earth will abide and endure; without her, however, we could not even be.
- Alan Weisman

Alex, seated on her left, was one of those men who acted like hed been issued a certain number of words at birth and didnt want to run out. It took a little effort to get him talking,
- Eileen Wilks

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eye Contact Quotes

If you must eat a banana in public, never make eye contact. - Darynda Jones I hope the two of you will descend from your love bubble long enough to learn something today," he sniped cuttingly and the other kids snickered. Embarrassed, I ducked my head to avoid eye contact with them. "It's all right, sir," Xavier replied. "The bubble's been engineered to allow us to learn from within it. - Alexandra Adornetto The trick is not to make eye contact. They don't charge if you don't make eye contact. - Sarah Addison Allen I'm Emma. I'm here to make you see the meaning of your life. Her exalted words were totally conquered by her dragging tone and lack of eye contact. - Debra Anastasia I glanced at Derek. The boy wonder didn't melt into a pile of goo, although his gaze was glued to Rowena's chest. Avoiding eye contact. Good strategy. - Ilona Andrews So just look mean and don't make eye contact with anyone. (Syn) Gee, hon, you take m

I Did It My Way Quotes

And now, the end is near, And so I face the final curtain. My friend, I'll say it clear, I'll state my case, of which I'm certain. I've lived a life that's full. I've traveled each and every highway; And more, much more than this, I did it my way. - Frank Sinatra You've got to know your limitations. I don't know what your limitations are. I found out what mine were when I was twelve. I found out that there weren't too many limitations, if I did it my way. - Johnny Cash Every comedian dreams of hosting 'The Tonight Show' and, for seven months, I got to. I did it my way, with people I love, and I do not regret a second. - Conan Obrien It doesn't matter that I didn't win a trophy because I did it my way and I lived the dream. - Alan Shearer

Into The Wild Quotes

You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition. What you'll discover will be wonderful. What you'll discover is yourself. - Alan Alda The creative is the place where no one else has ever been. You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition. - Alan Alda And I'm going to tell the truth: I didn't like that Sean Penn movie Into the Wild so much. Yes! I know it was critically acclaimed. I know it won all these awards! It's very sad that a boy is dead and all. But I thought the movie Enchanted, with the singing princess and the chipmunk and the people dancing in Central Park, was cuter. So there! - Meg Cabot Communing with God is communing with our own hearts, our own best selves, not with something foreign and accidental. Saints and devotees have gone into the wilderness to find God; of course they took God with them, and the silence and detachment enabled them to hear the still, small