Skip to main content

Be Quiet Quotes

I rolled my eyes."Be quiet or I'll be forced to flick you."
"Ooh," he mocked. "The ultimate threat. I don't think I've ever been flicked before.
- Alexandra Adornetto

Be quiet or I'll be forced to flick you."
"Ooh," he mocked. "The ultimate threat. I don't think I've ever been flicked before."
"Are you suggesting I can't hurt you?"
"On the contrary, I think you have the power to do great damage.
- Alexandra Adornetto

Since we're playing that game... I tilted my face up to his and gave him a lovesick gaze.
"Do you have to sneeze?" he asked.
"Be quiet. I'm pretending to enjoy your company, just as you said."
"Try not to strain anything."
"Oh, I won't. I'm very good at faking it."
That shut him up.
- Ilona Andrews

Be quiet, or my wife will take away your first born and make him or her work in one of her sweatshops!
- Marc Anthony

My dream is to have a house on the beach, even just a little shack somewhere so I can wake up, have coffee, look at dolphins, be quiet and breathe the air.
- Christina Applegate

Jesus," he muttered, dropping his head.
"What?"
He looked back at me. "Duchess, you can argue about anything."
"No I can't."
"So, now you're arguin' about not arguing?"
I decided to be quiet.
- Kristen Ashley

But generally speaking, I tend to be quiet and introspective.
- Rowan Atkinson

And if that weren't bad enough, the next sound he heard was a loud click.
The damned woman had locked him out. She'd taken all the food and locked him out.
"You'll pay for this!" he yelled at the door.
"Do be quiet," came the muffled reply. "I'm eating.
- Julia Quinn

Just be quiet and accept the praise.
- Julia Quinn

Anthony sneezed and pushed them aside. "Mother, I am trying to have a conversation with the duke."
Violet looked at Simon. "Do you want to have this conversation with my son?"
"Not particularly."
"Fine, then. Anthony, be quiet.
- Julia Quinn

Will you be quiet?" he asked, smiling down at her.
She nodded.
He pretended to think about it. "I don't believe you/"
She planted her hands on her hips, which had to be a ludicrous postition, naked as she was from the waist up.
All right," he acceded, "but the only words I'll allow from your mouth are, 'Oh, Gareth,' and 'Yes, Gareth.'
He lifted his finger.
What about 'More, Gareth?'"
He almost kept a straith face. "That will be acceptable
- Julia Quinn

Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?
- Friedrich Nietzsche

From 'A Bowl Fallen From the Roof'
Be quiet now and wait.
It may be that the ocean one,
the one we desire so to move into and become,
desires us out here on land a little longer,
going our sundry ways to the shore.
-Rumi
- Coleman Barks

It is time for dead languages to be quiet.
- Natalie Clifford Barney

Every time people come at us with the intention of killing us, I close my eyes and wait for death. Even thought I am still alive, I feel like each time I accept death, part of me dies. Very soon I will completely die and all that will be left is my empty body walking with you. It will be quieter than I am.
- Ishmael Beah

...And we pray, not for new
earth or heaven, but to be quiet
in heart, and in eye clear.
What we need is here.
- Wendell Berry

In fact at home I sometimes like to be quiet and hear the sounds of the world outside.
- Brenda Blethyn

Dead ... might not be quiet at all.
- Chris Bohjalian

A wretched soul, bruised with adversity,
We bid be quiet when we hear it cry;
But were we burdened with light weight of pain,
As much or more we should ourselves complain.
- William Shakespeare

Our essential differences from the norm are both huge and deeply offensive to those among us who wish to be quietly integrated into society without particular reference to our nature.
- Malcolm Boyd

But she also sensed it wasn't enough. She wanted something else, something different, something more. Passion and romance, perhaps, or maybe quiet conversation in candlelit rooms, or perhaps something as simple as not being second.
- Nicholas Sparks

She wanted something else, something different, something more. Passion and romance, perhaps, or maybe quiet conversations in candlelit rooms, or perhaps something as simple as not being second.
- Nicholas Sparks

Actually, I do happen to resemble a hallucination. Kindly note my silhouette in the moonlight." The cat climbed into the shaft of moonlight and wanted to keep talking but was asked to be quiet. "Very well, I shall be silent," he replied, "I shall be a silent hallucination.
- Mikhail Bulgakov

Oh, be quiet, Fo-Fo.
- Suzanne Collins

Dennis the Peasant: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
Arthur: Be quiet!
Dennis: You can't expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!
- Graham Chapman

Because talent won't be quiet, doesn't know how to be quiet," he said. "Whether it's a talent for safe-cracking, thought-reading, or dividing ten-digit numbers in your head, it screams to be used. It never shuts up. It'll wake you in the middle of your tiredest night, screaming, 'Use me, use me, use me! I'm tired of just sitting here! Use me, fuckhead, use me!
- Stephen King

Learn to be quiet enough to hear the genuine within yourself so that you can hear it in others.
- Marian Wright Edelman

Anything I tell you is an alibi for something else.
Then let's be quiet together.
- Leonard Cohen

Personally, I felt pretty safe. Librarians are like priests. You can tell them you want information on just about any subject and they never look at you weird. It's like a rule or something. I figured even in a small town like this, my question wouldn't be the strangest one the librarian had heard. I didn't know if librarians had any sort of official privacy code, but I was counting on confidence. They're not big talkers. It comes from being forced to be quiet all the time.
- Eileen Cook

Having someone you can talk to is cool, but it's been my experience that it is a lot harder to find someone you can be quiet with.
- Eileen Cook

If we will be quiet and ready enough, we shall find compensation in every disappointment.
- Henry David Thoreau

I won't move a muscle, I won't come out, I'll be quiet, I promise. Besides, I'm not the hero type.
- Shelly Crane

The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led.
- Edgar Allan Poe

Mrs. Mudkin closed her eyes. "We should pray."
"I ain't praying," Crazy Cora said.
Mrs. Mudkin said, "Lord, please bless---"
"I ain't praying."
"--this land and the people who--"
"I ain't praying."
"--have toiled on this earth--"
"Stop that praying."
"I can pray if I want to."
"Then be quiet about it.
- Sharon Creech

Anything for you, Dru. And I mean it. Now, be quiet and let me concentrate.
- Lili St Crow

These were always the weirdest trips for me, when it was midnight or even later, and we pulled up to a dark house, trying to be quiet. Like a robbery in reverse, creeping around to leave something rather than take it.
- Sarah Dessen

You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.
- Franz Kafka

Philippa Somerville, standing back a little, did not withdraw her arm. In her white face, a shadow of motherly irritation appeared. 'Has no one here any sense? Be quiet and sit down. The world will look after itself for a night, without your hand on the rim.
- Dorothy Dunnett

The woods would be quiet if no bird sang but the one that sang best.
- Henry Van Dyke

I can mourn internally, just be quiet about it. I have my moments but I'm not a real, expressive person, especially when it comes to like sadness.
- Faith Evans

He thought that it was loneliness which he was trying to escape and not himself. But the street ran on: catlike, one place was the same as another to him. But in none of them could he be quiet. But the street ran on in its moods and phases, always empty: he might have seen himself as in numberless avatars, in silence, doomed with motion, driven by the courage of flagged and spurred despair; by the despair of courage whose opportunities had to be flagged and spurred.
- William Faulkner

The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be.
- Anne Frank

In almost every professional field, in business and in the arts and sciences, women are still treated as second-class citizens. It would be a great service to tell girls who plan to work in society to expect this subtle, uncomfortable discrimination--tell them not to be quiet, and hope it will go away, but fight it. A girl should not expect special privileges because of her sex, but neither should she "adjust" to prejudice and discrimination
- Betty Friedan

With all the insolence she swallowed, it was a wonder her corsets still laced. Retort after rejoinder after sharp-edged remark: Why do you address me? What can I possibly have to say to a man who would split a pair of fives? Be quiet. Go to sleep. Go away. Come back when you have another erection.
- Cecilia Grant

The silence between us stretched out, but it wasn't awkward. Sometimes there are people you can be quiet with, and you never feel the need to fill the gap with meaningless chit-chat. I'd only become that close to a couple people in my hometown, and I'd always thought it took years. Lucas and I were already there.
- Claudia Gray

I was just offered a contract on your life, for enough money to make it worth my while." It was my turn to be quiet.
Did you take it?"
Would I be calling you if I had?"
Maybe," I said. He laughed.
True, but I'm not going to take it."
Why not?"
Friendship."
Try again," I said.
I figure I'll get to kill more people guarding you. If I take the contract, I only get to kill you."
Comforting..
- Laurell K Hamilton

Is it better to outmonster the monsters or to be quietly devoured?
- Laurell K Hamilton

As I get older, I'm slowing down and, yes, calming down in my desire to be taken seriously. That I can be entertaining and funny and high nervous energy can work against me as a serious composer, slowly but surely you'll see me be quieter just so that people will listen.
- Marvin Hamlisch

There certainly can and will be plenty of external difficulties in life; nevertheless, the soul that comes unto Christ dwells within a personal fortress, a veritable palace of perfect peace. 'Whoso hearkeneth unto me,' Jehovah says, 'shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from fear of evil' (Prov. 1:33).
- Jeffrey R Holland

They weren't interested in entertainment. They were tough. I learned one trick, which was to be quieter than they were until they had to look at you. It took a lot of agressiveness.
- Judy Holliday

From a very early age, my wife and I told our son that there are times and places for everything. I told him, look, when you're in class, you have to be quiet and listen to your teacher, but when you go out to the playground, you can scream and be silly.
- Mark Hoppus

They seemed to be quiet types, the women and men in rubber-soled shoes. Their favorite word, after literacy, was privacy--for their patrons and themselves.
- Marilyn Johnson

It required a strong heart to stand up against such talk, but I urged my people to be quiet and not to begin a war.
- Chief Joseph

If you can be quiet, you're more than welcome to stay in my House of Silence. Bring your own bubblegum ice cream.
- Jarod Kintz

He's being silent again. Tell him to be quiet.
- Jarod Kintz

You have to know when to prod and when to be quiet, when to let things take their course.
- Sue Monk Kidd

There is a fullness of time for things. You have to know when to prod and when to be quiet. When to let things take their course.
- Sue Monk Kidd

There's a fullness of time for things, Lily. You have to know when to prod and when to be quiet, when to let things take their course.
- Sue Monk Kidd

Even with the intention to be quiet, human beings seldom can restrain from comment or at least grumbled cursing; we are the chattering species, as much as we are anything else - Odd Thomas - Odd Apocalypse by Dean Koontz pg 56 chapter 7
- Dean Koontz

BE QUIET!!...What do you want...? I was in the middle of saying something nice..
- Tite Kubo

We went through all the usual exchanges dictated by Hollywood and polite society. She tried to scream and bite the palm of my hand, and I told her to be quiet because I wasn't going to hurt her unless she shouted. She shouted and I hurt her. Pretty standard stuff, really.
- Hugh Laurie

Look, you came all the way out here to help me. The least I can do is give you a place to stay. But my dad will be there, so..."
"So we have to be quiet," he whispers, waggling his eyebrows comically.
I just smile. I neither confirm nor deny that there will be more sex. But there will be. If he tries very hard at all, there definitely will be.
- M Leighton

Being onstage is like being rock star. Whereas if you're doing a movie, it's such a confined space. You know, you do a comedy, it's so hard, too, 'cause with a comedy, there's no vocal reaction, there's no energy that you get back that spurs you on to be funnier because everyone has to be quiet.
- Matthew Lillard

Truth is not a reward for good behaviour, nor a prize for passing some tests. It cannot be brought about. It is the primary, the unborn, the ancient source of all that is. You are eligible because you are. You need not merit truth. It is your own....Stand still, be quiet.
- Nisargadatta Maharaj

I'm really grounded and quite hippie, wanting to nurture and have children and be quiet.
- Sienna Miller

I was never a big guy in pubs. I was never the main kind of aggressor or anything like that, but I found myself in trouble because I always had a mouth that would come back with something, and there was just never anyone who could make me be quiet.
- Dominic Monaghan

Each time, before you intercede, be quiet first, and worship God in His glory. Think of what He can do, and how He delights to hear the prayers of His redeemed people. Think of your place and privilege in Christ, and expect great things!
- Andrew Murray

Reading fiction is important. It is a vital means of imagining a life other than our own, which in turn makes us more empathetic beings. Following complex story lines stretches our brains beyond the 140 characters of sound-bite thinking, and staying within the world of a novel gives us the ability to be quiet and alone, two skills that are disappearing faster than the polar icecaps.
- Ann Patchett

If what a person wants is his life, he tends to be quiet about wanting anything else. Once the life begins to seem secure, one feels the freedom to complain.
- Ann Patchett

They sell courage of a sort in the taverns. And another sort, though not for sale, a man can find in the confessional. Try the alehouses and the churches, Hugh. In either a man can be quiet and think.
- Ellis Peters

Calvin: Somewhere in Communist Russia I'll bet there's a little boy who has never known anything but censorship and oppression. But maybe he's heard of America, and he dreams of living in this land of freedom and opportunity! Someday, I'd like to meet that little boy...and tell him the awful TRUTH ABOUT THIS PLACE!!
Calvin's Dad: Calvin, be quiet and eat the stupid lima beans.
- Bill Watterson

I was a loud child, and if my mother sang to me, I would be quiet.
- Maya Rudolph

Be quiet now and wait.
It may be that the ocean one,
the one we desire so to move into and become,
desires us out here on land a little longer,
going our sundry roads to the shore.
- Rumi

Make as much racket as you like people. Noise is life and an excess of noise is a sign that life is good. There will be time for us all to be quiet when we are safely dead.
- Salman Rushdie

[Janco] paused. His eyes held a distant gleam as if seeing into his past. 'My first practice was a shock. I was a cocky smart aleck--'
[Opal] 'Was?'
[J] 'Be quiet. I'm telling a story here.
- Maria V Snyder

Now listen, we need to be quiet as mice. No, quieter than that. As quiet as...as..."
"Dead mice?" Reynie suggested.
"Perfect," said Kate with an approving nod. "As quiet as dead mice.
- Trenton Lee Stewart

They told us not to wish in the first place, not to aspire, not to try; to be quiet, to play nice, to shoot low and aspire not at all. They are always wrong. Follow your dreams. Make your wishes. Create the future. And above all, believe in yourself.
- J Michael Straczynski

There were days - she could remember this - when Henry would hold her hand as they walked home, middle-aged people, in their prime. Had they known at these moments to be quietly joyful? Most likely not. People mostly did not know enough when they were living life that they were living it. But she had that memory now, of something healthy and pure.
- Elizabeth Strout

Had they known at these moments to be quietly joyful? Most likely not. People mostly did not know enough when they were living life that they were living it.
- Elizabeth Strout

But there is that certain something about wanting to do the will of God. If one is sincere and if one really wants to know what His will is, all one has to do is be quiet. Shut off the television and radio, and in that silence one will always hear that still small voice in one's heart telling him what to do.
- Maria Von Trapp

shut up, it means be quiet and listen!
- Ali Vali

Caspian: Yes, but be quiet now, my bella.
Abbey: What does that mean?
Caspian: Beautiful.
- Jessica Verday

When you know something in your heart, you better not be quiet about it. You better speak out about it.
- Zach Wamp

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fat Person Quotes

She was convinced that she was anorexic, because every time she looked in the mirror she did indeed see a fat person. - Terry Pratchett I sensed immediately that he'd once been overweight. He moved with a fat person's tiptoey apology. - Jennifer Egan I feel self-conscious calling my cat fat in front of a fat person, considering I'm skinny and inconsiderate. - Jarod Kintz I call myself a FFP: former fat person, and when you're an FFP, you will always see in yourself what people used to bully you for. - Kelly Osbourne Well you know, it's true that as a fat person I run a greater risk of heart disease, diabetes, and a number of other things. But guess what? The amount of that risk is almost infinitessimal! - Daniel Pinkwater

Bass Player Quotes

I always just wanted to be the singer or the bass player in the band. I'd love to have a band, where I was obviously the singer, but where it wasn't me, it wasn't my name. - Bryan Adams In jazz, you listen to what the bass player is doing and what the drummer is doing, what the pianist and the guitarist is doing, and then you play something that compliments that, so you are thinking simultaneously and thinking ahead. - David Amram I can understand why some of these drummers and bass players become cult figures with all of their equipment and the incredible amount of technique they have. But there's very little that I think satisfies you intellectually or emotionally. - Ken Burns Jack Bruce, as soon as I saw him, it changed me. I didn't even know what bass players did until I saw Cream. - Geezer Butler Bass players are always the intellectual kind, but nobody knows it. - Stanley Clarke There are a lot of people who can do it on the guitar and sing at the same t...