Skip to main content

To Fly Quotes

In order to fly, all one must do is simply miss the ground.
- Douglas Adams

The Guide says that there is an art to flying," said Ford, "or rather a knack. The knack likes in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams

The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams

Fine - I said huffily. - But I hope I'm at least allowed to fly around the corridors during lunch hour.
Gabriel threw me a disapproving look. I waited for him to get my joke, but his eyes remained serious. I sighed. Much as I loved him, Gabriel could be totally lacking in any sense of humor.
- Alexandra Adornetto

When the soul of a man is born in this country there are nets flung at it to hold it back from flight. You talk to me of nationality, language, religion. I shall try to fly by those nets.
- James Joyce

When a man is born...there are nets flung at it to hold it back from flight. You talk to me of nationality, language, religion. I shall try to fly by those nets.
- James Joyce

The soul... has a slow and dark birth, more mysterious than the birth of the body. When the soul of a man is born in this country there are nets flung at it to hold it back from flight. You talk to me of nationality, language, religion. I shall try to fly by those nets.
- James Joyce

Be creative. Remember that we only learnt how to fly when we stopped imitating birds.
- Paulo Coelho

Falling is the first step in learning how to fly.
- Jodi Picoult

The minute I stand up, I've jumped off the cliff. The world goes by in a haze of color and light; my weight accelerates, head-over-heels. Then I think, falling is the first step in learning how to fly.
- Jodi Picoult

And I couldn't make fun of her for that dream. It was my dream, too. And Indian boys weren't supposed to dream like that. And white girls from small towns weren't supposed to dream big, either.
We were supposed to be happy with our limitations. But there was no way Penelope and I were going to sit still. Nope, we both wanted to fly:
- Sherman Alexie

No one should negotiate their dreams. Dreams must be free to fly high. No government, no legislature, has a right to limit your dreams. You should never agree to surrender your dreams.
- Jesse Jackson

O human race, born to fly upward, wherefore at a little wind dost thou so fall?
- Dante Alighieri

I looked at him through swollen eyes. The light glowed around him and he looked like he was floating. He was a glowing creature from another world, opening his gossamer wings and beckoning me. I wanted to tumble into his embrace. We'd be able to fly and I wouldn't mind the sunshine or the sky if he could just hold me forever.
- Heather Anastasiu

I love to fly. I always wanted to fly. It's been one of my dreams since I was 3 years old. I remember saying to my mom, 3 years old, every day, 'I can fly!' Living on the ninth floor, it was dangerous.
- Elena Anaya

To move, to breathe, to fly, to float,
To gain all while you give,
To roam the roads of lands remote,
To travel is to live.
- Hans Christian Anderson

Farewell, farewell," said the swallow, with a heavy heart, as he left the warm countries, to fly back into Denmark. There he had a nest over the window of a house in which dwelt the writer of fairy tales. The swallow sang "Tweet, tweet," and from his song came the whole story.
- Hans Christian Anderson

I went to the University of Washington as a physics and astronomy major. My other interest, of course, was aviation. I always wanted to be a pilot. And if you're going to fly airplanes, the best place to be is the Air Force.
- Michael P Anderson

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me, it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.
- Julie Andrews

I died on a bitter cold night. Beneath a black sky and a bruised winter moon, I tried to fly, hoping my arms might act as wings.
- Jennifer Archer

I believe more in precision, when you have the capability, like when you see a mosquito fly and you're able to hit it, you're able to hit it with a couple of short sharp shots... it's a beautiful thing.
- Alexis Arguello

We ought to fly away from earth to heaven as quickly as we can; and to fly away is to become like God, as far as this is possible; and to become like him is to become holy, just, and wise.
- Plato

Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know it so it goes on flying anyway.
- Mary Kay Ash

It is a ridiculous thing for a man not to fly from his own badness, which is indeed possible, but to fly from other men's badness, which is impossible.
- Marcus Aurelius

If you hang out with chickens, you're going to cluck and if you hang out with eagles, you're going to fly.
- Steve Maraboli

Although time seems to fly, it never travels faster than one day at a time. Each day is a new opportunity to live your life to the fullest. In each waking day, you will find scores of blessings and opportunities for positive change. Do not let your TODAY be stolen by the unchangeable past or the indefinite future! Today is a new day!
- Steve Maraboli

In the end, the problem was not grief. Grief was the first cause, perhaps, but it soon gave way to something else - something more tangible, more calculable in its effects, more violent in the damage it produced. A whole chain of forces had been set in motion, and at a certain point I began to wobble, to fly in greater and greater circles around myself, until at last I spun out of orbit.
- Paul Auster

And falling's just another way to fly.
- Emilie Autumn

A moment later Jonathan's body wavered in the air, shimmering, and began to go transparent. Don't let them spread silly rumors about me, or make me a god. O.K., Fletch? I'm a seagull. I like to fly, maybe...
- Richard Bach

We can start working with time, if you wish, till you can fly the past and the future. And then you will be ready to begin the most difficult, the most powerful, the most fun of all. You will be ready to BEGIN to fly up and know the meaning of kindness and of love
- Richard Bach

When you have come to the edge of all the light you have
And step into the darkness of the unknown
Believe that one of the two will happen to you
Either you'll find something solid to stand on
Or you'll be taught how to fly!
- Richard Bach

Instead of our drab slogging forth and back to the fishing boats, there's reason to live!
We can lift ourselves out of ignorance, we can find ourselves as creatures of excellence and intelligence and skill. We can learn to be free! we can learn to fly!
- Richard Bach

Don't believe what your eyes are telling you. All they show is limitation. Look with your understanding, find out what you already know, and you'll see the way to fly.
- Richard Bach

To fly as fast as thought, you must begin by knowing that you have already arrived.
- Richard Bach

He spoke of very simple things- that it is right for a gull to fly, that freedom is the very nature of his being, that whatever stands against that freedom must be set aside, be it ritual or superstition or limitation in any form.
"Set aside," came a voice from the multitude, "even if it be the Law of the Flock?"
"The only true law is that which leads to freedom," Jonathan said. "There is no other.
- Richard Bach

A good director creates an environment, which gives the actor the encouragement to fly.
- Kevin Bacon

I used to fly around the stage without strings or camera tricks. That took seven years to create.
- David Copperfield

He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance; one cannot fly into flying.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

I have learned to walk: since then I have run. I have learned to fly: since then I do not have to be pushed in order to move.
Now I am nimble, now I fly, now I see myself under myself, now a god dances within me.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Those you cannot teach to fly, teach to fall faster.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

When I go on the plane to fly home, I'm literally capable of forgetting what I do for a job. That also comes about because I choose to take massive breaks between projects, and because I choose to do this ridiculous thing of keeping home, home.
- Eric Bana

He hit and fatally injured my innocent and unfortunate uncle whose muttered last words in hospital, before his coma became a full stop, were: 'My God, the buggers've learned to fly..
- Iain Banks

If the flag of an armed enemy of the U.S. is allowed to fly over government buildings, then it implies that slavery, or at least the threat of slavery, is sanctioned by that government and can still legally exist.
- Amiri Baraka

I used to have friends come on tour and work as my drum tech, but they get bummed out when I have to tell them what to do. This time I'm just going to fly them out and let them hang. It's all good.
- Travis Barker

The sound of the motor lulls him to sleep. (Joe)
Great. I always wanted to fly with a narcoleptic pilot. (Steele)
- Sherrilyn Kenyon

Our heroine knew that the mother would always leave the window open for her children to fly back by; so they stayed away for years and had a lovely time..
- James M Barrie

If you cannot teach me to fly, teach me to sing.
- James M Barrie

I taught you to fight and to fly. What more could there be?
- James M Barrie

You could not see a cloud, because No cloud was in the sky: No birds were flying overhead -- There were no birds to fly.
- Lewis Carroll

Teach me how to fly, my beautiful butterfly.
- Jay Bell

When I think something nice is going to happen I seem to fly right up on the wings of anticipation; and then the first thing I realize I drop down to earth with a thud. But really, Marilla, the flying part is glorious as long as it lasts...it's like soaring through a sunset. I think it almost pays for the thud.
- L M Montgomery

The sky is the limit only for those who aren't afraid to fly!
- Bob Bello

Perhaps I am no one.
True, I have a body
and I cannot escape from it.
I would like to fly out of my head,
but that is out of the question.
- Anne Sexton

Each new film is like a trial. Before I step in front of the camera, I do not know whether I am going to fall or whether I am going to fly - and that is exactly the way I want it to stay.
- Juliette Binoche

Sometimes she has imagined what it would be like to fly, to live in the river, to run like a horse. She has dreamed of that freedom, that power, and fears the wildness in herself that wants to live as beasts live, moved purely by need and desire. She has felt torn between the heat of her limbs and the thoughts in her mind telling her to be careful and good and always calm
- Francesca Lia Block

With Zeppelin, I tried to play something different every night in my solos. I'd play for 20 minutes but the longest ever was 30 minutes. It's a long time, but whenI was playing it seemed to fly by.
- John Bonham

I memorized all of "John Carter" and "Tarzan," and sat on my grandparents' front lawn repeating the stories to anyone who would sit and listen. I would go out to that lawn on summer nights and reach up to the red light of Mars and say, "Take me home!" I yearned to fly away and land there in the strange dusts that blew over dead-sea bottoms toward the ancient cities.
- Ray Bradbury

So I've seen life as one long learning process. And if I see - you know, if I fly on somebody else's airline and find the experience is not a pleasant one, which it wasn't in - 21 years ago, then I'd think, well, you know, maybe I can create the kind of airline that I'd like to fly on.
- Richard Branson

The balloons only have one life and the only way of finding out whether they work is to attempt to fly around the world.
- Richard Branson

Well, the odds must be against anybody being able to fly around the world in a balloon on the first attempt. All of us who are attempting to go around the world in balloons are effectively flying in experimental craft because these craft cannot be tested.
- Richard Branson

He plants his feet stubbornly, adopting what he must think is an heroic post. He's just begging for a pigeon to fly by and relieve itself.
- Libba Bray

Prepared to fly, even if she has to loose her legs to do it
- Libba Bray

Wings are a constraint that makes it possible to fly.
- Robert Bringhurst

If God wanted us to fly, He would have given us tickets.
- Mel Brooks

Give the ones you love wings to fly, roots to come back and reasons to stay.
- Dalai Lama

To fly or not to fly, that's the question.
- Dan Brown

Creativity is the Blue Heron within us waiting to fly; through her imagination, all things become possible.
- Nadia Janice Brown

Fear is a bird that refuses to fly, and each time she neglects to use her wings, she consents to the slow death of her destiny.
- Nadia Janice Brown

Let none think to fly the danger for soon or late love is his own avenger.
- Lord Byron

We carry our homes within us which enables us to fly.
- John Cage

To fly is the opposite of traveling: you cross a gap in space, you vanish into the void, you accept not being in a place for a duration that is itself a kind of void in time; then you reappear, in a place and in a moment with no relation to the where and when in which you vanished.
- Italo Calvino

Man who waits for roast duck to fly into mouth must wait very, very long time.
- Jules Renard

So, whenever Scooter was the Pilot, he never had a chance to fly the orbiter. So, the joke is: I'm going to have a chance to fly it first and hand it over to him.
- Duane G Carey

If bringing down the wall would require you to fly, you must believe you can fly. Otherwise, when the decisive moment comes, you will surely discover you ahve no wings.
- Patrick Carman

To seek freedom is the only driving force I know. Freedom to fly off into that infinity out there. Freedom to dissolve; to lift off; to be like the flame of a candle, which, in spite of being up against the light of a billion stars, remains intact, because it never pretended to be more than what it is: a mere candle.
- Carlos Castaneda

The first thing was to get down to Addie Richardson's henhouse, and that was a goodish way, four or five miles. She found herself wondering if the Lord was going to send her an eagle to fly her those four miles, or send Elijah in his fiery chariot to give her a lift.
Blasphemy," she told herself complacently. "The Lord provides strength, not taxicabs.
- Stephen King

If the Almighty were to rebuild the world and asked me for advice, I would have English Channels round every country. And the atmosphere would be such that anything which attempted to fly would be set on fire.
- Winston Churchill

I loved flying as much as I thought I would and continue to fly aircraft.
- Leroy Chiao

Whenever we leave the ground
And take to the sky
I'll smile as I'm gazing down
Cause I've always wonder why we won't need feathers to fly.
- Owl City

This has been a great experience for me. The first couple of days you don't always feel too well. You adjust to the fluid shifting, how to fly through space without hitting things or anybody else. But then you get in a groove.
- Laurel Clark

Faith is like stepping off a cliff and expecting one of two outcomes- you will either land on solid ground or you will be taught to fly.
- Hillary Clinton

me giving my mom romantic advice is kind of like a goldfish giving a snail advice on how to fly.
-Will Grayson (pg. 66)
- David Levithan

and the sad notes floated out to the
patio and hung in the trees like birds too tired to fly
- Hunter S Thompson

One day a tortoise will learn how to fly.
- Terry Pratchett

Om rubed his head. This wasn't god-like thinking. It seemed simpler when you were up here. It was all a game. You forgot that it wasn't a game down there. People died. Bits got chopped off. We're like eagles up here, he thought. Sometimes we show tortoise how to fly. Then we let go.
- Terry Pratchett

I decided blacks should not have to experience the difficulties I had faced, so I decided to open a flying school and teach other black women to fly.
- Bessie Coleman

Connor Broekhart was born to fly, or more accurately he was born flying.
- Eoin Colfer

The most adventurous thing I've done is learn how to fly a helicopter in the Philippines. One night we landed on a beach and slept on it.
- Francis Ford Coppola

Another time, we had three days off in Australia, so we went out of our way to fly to Ayres Rock.
- Phil Collins

Now that I've found the way to fly, which direction should I head into the night?
- Ally Condie

I think of how perhaps the best way to fly would be with hands full of earth, so you always remember where you came from.
- Ally Condie

I remember what Anna called the three of us.
The Pilot. The Poet. The Physic.
They are in all of us. I believe this. They every person might have a way to fly, a line of poetry to put down for others to see, a hand to heal.
- Ally Condie

That to fly requires chaotic, sometimes even violent passages--becomes a metaphor for all of life's most meaningful endeavors.
- Kelly Corrigan

I have always liked the idea of Superman because I have always liked the idea that there is one person in the world who doesn't do bad things. And that there is one person in the world who is able to fly.
- Douglas Coupland

To Madeline,
This subtle second self
Sheaf of me
Can do more than you ever could.
Like you, it can leave
And go
Somewhere else.
The night splits me in two.
I disconnect
To sink, to fall, to fly
And rage
Forever
And always
Without you
- Kelly Creagh

Having the opportunity to fly the first flight of something like a space shuttle was the ultimate test flight.
- Robert Crippen

Open skies painted above painted doorways and painted birds skimming across bricks trying to fly away. Little bird, what are you thinking? You come from a can.
- Cath Crowley

Why would anybody be intimidated by mere words? I mean, neither I nor any other athiest that I know ever threatens violence. We never threaten to fly planes into skyscrapers. We never threaten suicide bombs. We are very gentle people. All we do is use words to talk about things like the cosmos, the origin of the universe, evolution, the origin of life. What's there to be frightened of? It's just an opinion.
- Richard Dawkins

I just want to fly under the radar, because when you start to make yourself into a big deal, that's when you get shot down.
- John Green

Momentum,' She repeats. 'You can't just stand there if you want something to fly. You have to run.
- Lauren Destefano

I figured it out eventually," she says. She's sitting on the edge of the gurney again; her features slowly materialize as my vision clears. "It's momentum."
"What?" I whisper. The feeling returning to my lips, spreading out to my fingertips and toes.
"Momentum," she repeats. "You can't just stand there if you want something to fly. You have to run.
- Lauren Destefano

Hey bands, you're all welcome to fly me to some exotic location and I'll record you there, Y'know that right? You don't have to come to this God forsaken place. Hope I can visit you all in Australia one of these days that would be hot! We'll talk again soon.
- Jim Diamond

I mean a man whose hopes and aims may sometimes lie (as most men's sometimes do, I dare say) above the ordinary level, but to whom the ordinary level will be high enough after all if it should prove to be a way of usefulness and good service leading to no other. All generous spirits are ambitious, I suppose, but the ambition that calmly trusts itself to such a road, instead of spasmodically trying to fly over it, is of the kind I care for.
- Charles Dickens

I never intended to become a professional pilot. But, as I became more curious about aircraft, and, well, not being John Travolta, I realized that the only way I was ever going to fly a jet is if I got a job.
- Bruce Dickinson

What you feel spiritually. I think a lot of that has to do with it. If you have no spiritual life, chances are everything is going to aggravate you, you're going to fly off the handle at everything and that's what I did in the past. I've kind of got that under control now.
- Mike Ditka

Some people come to the edge of the cliff and they look over, then run away in fear. They never realize it's possible to fly, to soar, to be free. They spend their lives crawling along cliff tops without finding the courage.
- Michael Dobbs

pain has a way of clipping our wings and keeping us from being able to fly, and if left unresolved you can almost forget that you were ever created to fly in the first place.
- W Paul Young

When we three spoke ourselves into human existences the Son of God, we became fully human. We also chose to embrace all the limitation that this entailed. Even though we have always been present in this created universe, we now became flesh and blood. It would be like this bird (a jay), whose nature it is to fly, choosing to only walk and remain grounded. He doesn't stop being a bird, but it does alter his experience of life significantly.
- W Paul Young

Living unloved is like clipping a bird's wings and removing its ability to fly.
- W Paul Young

When you design it, think how you would feel if you had to fly it! Safety first!
- Donald Wills Douglas

Who would be free themselves must strike the blow...I urge you to fly to arms and smite to death the power that would bury the Government and your liberty in the same hopeless grave. This is your golden opportunity.
- Frederick Douglass

I was 35 years old and in a position to take a shot at whatever I wanted to try. The Air Force said I was too old to fly fighter jets. I thought about becoming a fishing boat captain, before deciding that acting seemed pretty cool.
- Jerry Doyle

Everyone has ocean's to fly, if they have the heart to do it. Is it reckless? Maybe. But what do dreams know of boundaries?
- Amelia Earhart

As soon as we left the ground, I knew I had to fly.
- Amelia Earhart

If you'd just try, I'm sure you'd be able to fly.
- David Eddings

When we look at modern man, we have to face the fact...that modern man suffers from a kind of poverty of the spirit, which stands in glaring contrast to his scientific and technological abundance; We've learned to fly the air like birds, we've learned to swim the seas like fish, and yet we haven't learned to walk the Earth as brothers and sisters..
- Martin Luther King Jr

I've often said that the most important thing you can give your children is wings. Because, you're not gonna always be able to bring food to the nest. You're... sometimes... they're gonna have to be able to fly by themselves.
- Elizabeth Edwards

He wanted to fly in lightweight contraptions with her.
- Dave Eggers

[A wasp] was sucking jam on my plate, and I cut him in half. He paid no attention, merely went on with his meal, while a tiny stream of jam trickled out of his severed esophagus. Only when he tried to fly away did he grasp the dreadful thing that had happened to him.
- George Orwell

Those bitter sorrows of childhood!-- when sorrow is all new and strange, when hope has not yet got wings to fly beyond the days and weeks, and the space from summer to summer seems measureless.
- George Eliot

He had in abundance youth's most dangerous qualities: optimism and relentlessness. He would risk everything he had to fly the plane that could carry the bomb within him.
- John Irving

Because these wings are no longer wings to fly
But merely vans to beat the air
The air which is now thoroughly small and dry
Smaller and dryer than the will
Teach us to care and not to care
Teach us to sit still
- T S Eliot

I'm no one important or famous, no matter. It is better to be loved by one person who knows your soul than millions who don't even know your phone number. I have loved and been loved as deeply as a man can hope for. Which makes me a lucky man. It also means that I have suffered. Life has taught me that to fly, you must first accept the possibility of falling.
- Richard Paul Evans

Life has taught me that to fly, you must first accept the possibility of falling.
- Richard Paul Evans

The whole point of being in the Army is wanting to get killed, wanting to test yourself to the limits. Now you have to fly 15,000ft above the war zone to avoid getting hit. I don't think there is any point in having wars if that's how you're going to behave. It's pathetic. All this whining!
- Rupert Everett

There seemed to be some heavenly support beneath his shoulder blades that lifted his feet from the ground in ecstatic suspension, as if he secretly enjoyed the ability to fly but was walking as a compromise to convention.
- Zelda Fitzgerald

Tug looked nervously at his master.
Horses aren't supposed to fly, he seemed to be saying.
- John Flanagan

If God had intended us to fly he would have given us railways.
- Michael Flanders

If I'm going to fly for more than twenty feet it's generally a good idea to get a stunt guy.
- Joe Flanigan

Everybody wants to fly. At some stage in their lives, everyone looks up in the sky and sees the seemingly effortlessness of a bird in the gulf of air overhead and thinks: I wish, just one time, that could be me.
- Charlie Fletcher

There is suffering in the light; in excess it burns. Flame is hostile to the wing. To burn and yet to fly, that is the miracle of genius.
- Victor Hugo

What about guns with sensors in the handles that could detect if you were angry, and if you were, they wouldn't fire, even if you were a police officer?
What about skyscrapers made with moving parts, so they could rearrange themselves when they had to, and even open holes in their middles for planes to fly through?
- Jonathan Safran Foer

The soul yearns to fly home on the wings of love to the world of ideas. It longs to be freed from the chains of the body.
- Jostein Gaarder

The choice is yours, brother. Live a thrall or die a king. Do you dare to fly? Unless you take the leap, you'll never know. - Euron Greyjoy
- George R R Martin

In 1983, NASA invited Canada to fly three payload specialists, in part because we had contributed the robotic arm that is used on the shuttle.
- Marc Garneau

I think I usually have quite ordinary dreams. Sometimes my dreams take me to other dimensions. I can travel in my mind especially when I'm dreaming I focus my mind on what I want to dream. If I want to fly, I focus on flying.
- Uri Geller

Do you ever dangle your toes over the precipice, dare the cliff to crumble, defy the frozen deity to suffer the sun, thaw feather and bone, take wing to fly you home?
- Ellen Hopkins

I want to be able to fly like a superhero. I won't be happy until I can fly across oceans and cities, saving people from being murdered.
- Heather Graham

Yeah. A feeling. Like the whole point of my life from the alleys in Bangkok to the yachts and private island to coming here like a crazy person trying to fly a helicopter like all of it from birth to here point A to point Z was all some big cosmic trick to get me to meet you. - Sanjit to Lana
- Michael Grant

The Cabbage White
The butterfly, a cabbage-white,
(His honest idiocy of flight)
Will never now, it is too late,
Master the art of flying straight,
Yet has- who knows so well as I?-
A just sense of how not to fly:
He lurches here and here by guess
And God and hope and hopelessness.
Even the acrobatic swift
Has not his flying-crooked gift.
- Robert Graves

To read is to fly: it is to soar to a point of vantage which gives a view over wide terrains of history, human variety, ideas, shared experience and the fruits of many inquiries.
- A C Grayling

The only authority I respect is the one that causes butterflies to fly south in fall and north in springtime.
- Tom Robbins

I'd love to fly, especially with the gas prices right now.
- Joel Gretsch

Waiting for the fish to bite or waiting for wind to fly a kite. Or waiting around for Friday night or waiting perhaps for their Uncle Jake or a pot to boil or a better break or a string of pearls or a pair of pants or a wig with curls or another chance. Everyone is just waiting.
- Dr Seuss

And just when we were at the end of our design process there was the news that the Italian government and the U.S. government had signed an agreement to fly the first Italian astronaut on that flight.
- Umberto Guidoni

I've been lucky enough to fly to space twice.
- Chris Hadfield

I've had a chance to fly a lot of different airplanes, but it was nothing like the shuttle ride.
- Chris Hadfield

For the last several years and culminating in six months in orbit next year, I've been training for my third space flight. This one is almost in a category completely different than the previous two, specifically to live in on the space station for six months, to command a space ship and to fly a new rocket ship.
- Chris Hadfield

There is no great invention, from fire to flying, which has not been hailed as an insult to some god.
- John B S Haldane

I want to fly! I want to touch the sun!" "Finish your eggs first.
- Lorraine Hansberry

The official independence celebration was going to be held over four or five days, and a group of journalists from all over the world was allowed to fly in, because Angola was closed otherwise.
- Ryszard Kapuscinski

You see I have to be in the clinic every Thursday and it's in Phoenix so I have to fly down or drive down. It has to be every Thursday for this damn stuff they're giving me.
- Lee Hazlewood

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to.
- Joseph Heller

What would they do to me,' he asked in confidential tones, 'if I refused to fly [the missions]?'
We'd probably shoot you,' ex-P.F.C. Wintergreen replied.
We?' Yossarian cried in surprise. 'What do yo mean, we? Since when are you on their side?'
If you're going to be shot, whose side do you expect me to be on?' ex-P.F.C. Wintergreen retorted.
- Joseph Heller

Hermione :harry you don't even know how to fly , what an idiot !
- J K Rowling

You think it is so different because you live here in this time, in this place, because I'm from the far side of the sea. But we are attached by the water between us. It is the same tide and moon, the same sea, love, fear, losing, and death. Love does not change with time. The love that fills us and empties us, that clips our wings so that
we must decide whether to learn to fly after that. To love or to fear.
- Patti Callahan Henry

In our old age my beloved companion said to me quietly one evening, You have always given me wings to fly, and I have loved you for it.
- Gordon B Hinckley

There comes a time when every one of our people understands that a Jew can never be attached to a place. The rules always change, and we always lose. People will always despise us, and we must be ready to fly away. We cannot have roots in the earth of any country, only in the garden that we carry inside us.
- Alice Hoffman

A junkyard contains all the bits and pieces of a Boeing 747, dismembered and in disarray. A whirlwind happens to blow through the yard. What is the chance that after its passage a fully assembled 747, ready to fly, will be found standing there? So small as to be negligible, even if a tornado were to blow through enough junkyards to fill the whole Universe.
- Fred Hoyle

I'm scared to death to fly commercial... I have not flown commercial since 9/11.
- Brett Hull

Too often, the Democratic Party has been split between its grass-roots activists on one side and its elected officials and party leaders on the other. It's important to remember: We need both wings to fly.
- Jim Hunt

Before we left, Grandmother talked a lot about the arctic night we would fly through. 'Isn't it a mystical word, "arctic"? Pure and quite hard. And meridians. Isn't that pretty? We're going to fly along them, faster than the light can follow us... Time won't be able to catch us.
- Tove Jansson

Our wings serve as flippers that carry us across the ocean; not in the sky!
Why, us penguins have so much fun time in the water, we don't even want to fly!
- Jasmine Jean

That's a traditional Samoan dance. I was lucky that I was able to fly my cousins, who are professional dancers, up from Hawaii and they were able to be in the movie with me. We had a great time.
- Dwayne Johnson

Out of the night Hopper came, and Perrin was one with the wolf. Hopper, the cub who had watched the eagles soar, and wanted so badly to fly through the sky as the eagles did. The cub who hopped and jumped and leaped until he could leap higher than any other wolf, who never lost the cub's yearning to soar through the sky. Something crashed into his head, and as he fell, he did not know if it was Hopper or himself who died.
- Robert Jordan

If I could fly, life would be amazing. But paraplegic people say the same thing about walking, and I freaking hate walking. Somebody might ask me, "Hey, do you want to go for a walk?" and I'll reply, "Nope. But I do want to have a seat on a chair with wheels and roll along with you." So maybe flight isn't so cool after all. Possibly birds get pissed off they have to fly everywhere.
- Jarod Kintz

I'm a patriotic pilot. I know how to fly a flag. Of course I don't fly anything anymore, not after my boating accident.
- Jarod Kintz

Feet, what do I need you for when I have wings to fly?
- Frida Kahlo

Feet, why do I need them if I have wings to fly?
- Frida Kahlo

A man must know how to fly in the face of opinion; a woman to submit to it.
- Madame De Stael

Each day befriend a single fear, and the miscellaneous terrors of being human will never join together to form such a morass of vague anxiety that it rules your life from the shadows of the unconscious. We learn to fly not by being fearless, but by the daily practice of courage.
- Sam Keen

If you don't like the President, it costs you 90 bucks to fly to Washington to picket. If you don't like the Governor, it costs you 60 bucks to fly to Albany to picket. If you don't like me, 90 cents.
- Edward Koch

The perfect gadget would somehow allow me to fly. Isn't that what everybody wants? It would also cook a damn good microwave pizza. So while in flight you had something to eat - an in-flight meal. Where would I go? Well, nowadays, it would probably just take me to work a lot quicker.
- John Krasinski

Not everyone has to fly high to prove they exist; some of us are perfectly happy flying low and enjoying the view.
- Mike A Lancaster

Any flights would be taken business class, since Roger thought that the whole point of having money, if it had to be summed up in a single point, which it couldn't, but if you had to, the whole point of having a bit of money was not to have to fly scum class.
- John Lanchester

I find it all infinitely sad, but at the same time so entrancing, that I often feel as if it would be the part of wisdom to fly at once to the woods or mountains where one can always find peace. - Dora Root in a letter to Daniel Burnham
- Erik Larson

If I could have a special power in real life I'd love to fly.
- Ali Larter

What can you conceive more silly and extravagant than to suppose a man racking his brains, and studying night and day how to fly?
- William Law

I grew up in Colorado - went back there, tried to heal myself and grow and learn, then got a call that David Lynch wanted me to fly back to Seattle so he could meet me for Twin Peaks.
- Sheryl Lee

It may be hard for an egg to turn into a bird: it would be a jolly sight harder for it to learn to fly while remaining an egg. We are like eggs at present. And you cannot go on indefinitely being just an ordinary, decent egg. We must be hatched or go bad.
- C S Lewis

Really, anyone can learn how to fly. If you can drive a bus, you can fly an airplane.
- Cory Lidle

To invent an airplane is nothing. To build one is something. But to fly is everything.
- Otto Lilienthal

To fly we have to have resistance.
- Maya Lin

Rebecca saw red.The urge she had to fly at Elizabeth with her nails bared was too compelling. She couldn't resist it. That Elizabeth immediately stomped off wasn't going to stop her. She was going to cause the worst scandal London had seen in decades,and she didn't care!
- Johanna Lindsey

It's not the fledgling birds that are thrown out of the nest by their parents and made to fly; it's the parents who are made to get the hell out of cozy family nest by their teenage offspring. It's we who are made to be independent of them, crash-landing if we don't manage it.
- Rosamund Lupton

Because when I said I wanted to touch the moon you took my hand, held me close, and taught me how to fly.
- Tahereh Mafi

I may not know how to fly but I know how to read, and that's almost the same thing.
- Gregory Maguire

I learned to fly on a broom," he said, rolling up his sleeves. "I can learn to milk a goat, I bet." Though flying on a broom proved to be the easier task, he found.
- Gregory Maguire

When you get right down to it, every collection of letters is a magic spell, even it it's a moronic proclamation... Words have their impact, girl. Mind your manners. I may not know how to fly but I know how to read, and that's almost the same thing.
- Gregory Maguire

...but she wrote out some extra words on a piece of paper so Rain could practice reading. "Is this a magic spell?" the girl asked her.
"Don't let me get sappy on you, but when you get right down to it, every collection of letters is a magic spell, even if it is a moronic proclamation by the Emperor. Words have their impact, girl. Mind your manners. I may not know how to fly but I know how to read, and that's almost the same thing."
-Out of Oz
- Gregory Maguire

To read is to fly: it is to soar to a point of vantage which gives a view over wide terrains of history, human variety, ideas, shared experience and the fruits of many inquiries.
- Alberto Manguel

The days began to fly now, and yet each one of them was stretched by renewed expectations and swollen with silent, private experiences. Yes, time is a puzzling thing, there is something about it that is hard to explain.
- Thomas Mann

...it was even more disconcerting to examine your charts before a proposed flight only to find that in many cases the bulk of the terrain over which you had to fly was bluntly marked: 'UNSURVEYED.' It was as if the mapmakers had said, 'We are aware that between this spot and that one, there are several hundred thousands of acres, but until you make a forced landing there, we won't know whether it is mud, desert, or jungle and the chances are we won't know then!
- Beryl Markham

One day the stars will be as familiar to each man as the landmarks, the curves, and the hills on the road that leads to his door, and one day this will be an airborne life. But by then men will have forgotten how to fly; they will be passengers on machines whose conductors are carefully promoted to a familiarity with labelled buttons, and in whose minds knowledge of the sky and the wind and the way of weather will be extraneous as passing fiction.
- Beryl Markham

It was... disconcerting to examine your charts before a proposed flight only to find that in many cases the bulk of the terrain over which you had to fly was bluntly marked: 'UNSURVEYED.'
It was as if the mapmakers had said, 'We are aware that between this spot and that one, there are several hundred thousands of acres, but until you make a forced landing there, we won't know whether it is mud, desert, or jungle -- and the chances are we won't know then!
- Beryl Markham

Left wing, right wing, I am wingless and tired of trying to fly. Here comes the ground.
- Marc Maron

As Ariel recounted the events of her dream, two magnificent, batlike wings grew from the backs of her shoulders, stretched as if preparing to fly, then retreated back into their host. The sound heard when the wings disappear is the giggling of Alanna, who watched the event much the same way I did, in rapt wonder.
- Don A Martinez

It is too maddening. I've got to fly off, right now, to some devilish navy yard, three hours in a seasick steamer, and after being heartily sick, I'll have to speak three times, and then I'll be sick coming home. Still, who would not be sick for England?
- John Masefield

Look, demanding somebody do anything in this day and age is not going to fly.
- John Mayer

I longed to fly. I was paid in flying lessons and, by the time I was 13, I'd logged 100 hours at the controls.
- Kent Mccord

When you come to the edge of all that you know, you must believe one of two things: either there will be ground to stand on, or you will be given wings to fly.
- O R Melling

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bass Player Quotes

I always just wanted to be the singer or the bass player in the band. I'd love to have a band, where I was obviously the singer, but where it wasn't me, it wasn't my name. - Bryan Adams In jazz, you listen to what the bass player is doing and what the drummer is doing, what the pianist and the guitarist is doing, and then you play something that compliments that, so you are thinking simultaneously and thinking ahead. - David Amram I can understand why some of these drummers and bass players become cult figures with all of their equipment and the incredible amount of technique they have. But there's very little that I think satisfies you intellectually or emotionally. - Ken Burns Jack Bruce, as soon as I saw him, it changed me. I didn't even know what bass players did until I saw Cream. - Geezer Butler Bass players are always the intellectual kind, but nobody knows it. - Stanley Clarke There are a lot of people who can do it on the guitar and sing at the same t...

Fat Person Quotes

She was convinced that she was anorexic, because every time she looked in the mirror she did indeed see a fat person. - Terry Pratchett I sensed immediately that he'd once been overweight. He moved with a fat person's tiptoey apology. - Jennifer Egan I feel self-conscious calling my cat fat in front of a fat person, considering I'm skinny and inconsiderate. - Jarod Kintz I call myself a FFP: former fat person, and when you're an FFP, you will always see in yourself what people used to bully you for. - Kelly Osbourne Well you know, it's true that as a fat person I run a greater risk of heart disease, diabetes, and a number of other things. But guess what? The amount of that risk is almost infinitessimal! - Daniel Pinkwater