As an American I wanted to explore... why are we the only first world country that still has capital punishment? Is it because we're too afraid to really examine the system, or is it because we really truly believe that this is the best way to deter future crime?
- Jodi Picoult
If the Old Testament were a reliable guide in the matter of capital punishment, half the people in the United States would have to be killed tomorrow.
- Steve Allen
I knew quite well, when I gave the names of our agents in the Soviet Union, that I was exposing them to the full machinery of counterespionage and the law, and then prosecution and capital punishment.
- Aldrich Ames
I am passionately opposed to capital punishment, and I have been all my life.
- Richard Attenborough
But what then is capital punishment but the most premeditated of murders, to which no criminal's deed, however calculated it may be, can be compared? For there to be equivalence, the death penalty would have to punish a criminal who had warned his victim of the date at which he would inflict a horrible death on him and who, from that moment onward, had confined him at his mercy for months. Such a monster is not encountered in private life.
- Albert Camus
I contend that it's impossible to read the Sermon on the Mount and not come out against capital punishment.
- Tony Campolo
If the executioner goes, my package will never be made public. If he doesn't go, it will be made public exactly fifty years from the day the bill for a moratorium on capital punishment is defeated.
- Caryl Chessman
I've no patience with modern humanitarian scruples about capital punishment.
- Agatha Christie
Crimes against children are the most heinous crime. That, for me, would be a reason for capital punishment because children are innocent and need the guidance of an adult society.
- Clint Eastwood
The long and distressing controversy over capital punishment is very unfair to anyone meditating murder.
- Geoffrey Fisher
Capital punishment is as fundamentally wrong as a cure for crime as charity is wrong as a cure for poverty.
- Henry Ford
The most absurd apology for authority and law is that they serve to diminish crime. Aside from the fact that the State is itself the greatest criminal, breaking every written and natural law, stealing in the form of taxes, killing in the form of war and capital punishment, it has come to an absolute standstill in coping with crime. It has failed utterly to destroy or even minimize the horrible scourge of its own creation.
- Emma Goldman
Mr. Lundberg: "I asked you for your position on capital punishment."
Student: "Prone.
- Kristin Hannah
Capital punishment is our society's recognition of the sanctity of human life.
- Orrin Hatch
Suicide is possible, but not probable; hanging, I trust, is even more unlikely; for I hope that, by the time I die, my countrymen will have become civilised enough to abolish capital punishment.
- Laurence Housman
I would like to see capital punishment suppressed in all democracies.
- Lionel Jospin
I should not regret a fair and full trial of the entire abolition of capital punishment.
- James Madison
I think capital punishment works great. Every killer you kill never kills again.
- Bill Maher
This country is becoming increasingly authoritarian. It's based on capital punishment.
- Kate Millett
We don't know if capital punishment is a deterrent, but we know that men we execute will not murder again.
- Mario Puzo
The law which attempts a man's life [capital punishment] is impractical, unjust, inadmissible. It has never repressed crime--for a second crime is every day committed at the foot of the scaffold.
- Marquis De Sade
Capital punishment is the source of many an argument, both good and bad.
- Marilyn Vos Savant
As long as you have capital punishment there is no guarantee that innocent people won't be put to death.
- Paul Simon
Countries and states which have capital punishment have a much higher rate of murder and crime than countries that do not, so that makes sense to me, and the moral question - I struggle with it morally.
- Charlize Theron
I have also seen it stated that Capital punishment is murder in its worst form. I should like to know upon what principle of human society these assertions are based and justified.
- Benjamin Tucker
And capital punishment, however ineffective it may be and through whatever ignorance it may be resorted to, is a strictly defensive act, - at least in theory.
- Benjamin Tucker
But this is not to say that the society which inflicts capital punishment commits murder.
- Benjamin Tucker
What becomes a crime deserving capital punishment when the tables are turned is a matter of small moment when the negro woman is the accusing party.
- Ida B Wells
- Jodi Picoult
If the Old Testament were a reliable guide in the matter of capital punishment, half the people in the United States would have to be killed tomorrow.
- Steve Allen
I knew quite well, when I gave the names of our agents in the Soviet Union, that I was exposing them to the full machinery of counterespionage and the law, and then prosecution and capital punishment.
- Aldrich Ames
I am passionately opposed to capital punishment, and I have been all my life.
- Richard Attenborough
But what then is capital punishment but the most premeditated of murders, to which no criminal's deed, however calculated it may be, can be compared? For there to be equivalence, the death penalty would have to punish a criminal who had warned his victim of the date at which he would inflict a horrible death on him and who, from that moment onward, had confined him at his mercy for months. Such a monster is not encountered in private life.
- Albert Camus
I contend that it's impossible to read the Sermon on the Mount and not come out against capital punishment.
- Tony Campolo
If the executioner goes, my package will never be made public. If he doesn't go, it will be made public exactly fifty years from the day the bill for a moratorium on capital punishment is defeated.
- Caryl Chessman
I've no patience with modern humanitarian scruples about capital punishment.
- Agatha Christie
Crimes against children are the most heinous crime. That, for me, would be a reason for capital punishment because children are innocent and need the guidance of an adult society.
- Clint Eastwood
The long and distressing controversy over capital punishment is very unfair to anyone meditating murder.
- Geoffrey Fisher
Capital punishment is as fundamentally wrong as a cure for crime as charity is wrong as a cure for poverty.
- Henry Ford
The most absurd apology for authority and law is that they serve to diminish crime. Aside from the fact that the State is itself the greatest criminal, breaking every written and natural law, stealing in the form of taxes, killing in the form of war and capital punishment, it has come to an absolute standstill in coping with crime. It has failed utterly to destroy or even minimize the horrible scourge of its own creation.
- Emma Goldman
Mr. Lundberg: "I asked you for your position on capital punishment."
Student: "Prone.
- Kristin Hannah
Capital punishment is our society's recognition of the sanctity of human life.
- Orrin Hatch
Suicide is possible, but not probable; hanging, I trust, is even more unlikely; for I hope that, by the time I die, my countrymen will have become civilised enough to abolish capital punishment.
- Laurence Housman
I would like to see capital punishment suppressed in all democracies.
- Lionel Jospin
I should not regret a fair and full trial of the entire abolition of capital punishment.
- James Madison
I think capital punishment works great. Every killer you kill never kills again.
- Bill Maher
This country is becoming increasingly authoritarian. It's based on capital punishment.
- Kate Millett
We don't know if capital punishment is a deterrent, but we know that men we execute will not murder again.
- Mario Puzo
The law which attempts a man's life [capital punishment] is impractical, unjust, inadmissible. It has never repressed crime--for a second crime is every day committed at the foot of the scaffold.
- Marquis De Sade
Capital punishment is the source of many an argument, both good and bad.
- Marilyn Vos Savant
As long as you have capital punishment there is no guarantee that innocent people won't be put to death.
- Paul Simon
Countries and states which have capital punishment have a much higher rate of murder and crime than countries that do not, so that makes sense to me, and the moral question - I struggle with it morally.
- Charlize Theron
I have also seen it stated that Capital punishment is murder in its worst form. I should like to know upon what principle of human society these assertions are based and justified.
- Benjamin Tucker
And capital punishment, however ineffective it may be and through whatever ignorance it may be resorted to, is a strictly defensive act, - at least in theory.
- Benjamin Tucker
But this is not to say that the society which inflicts capital punishment commits murder.
- Benjamin Tucker
What becomes a crime deserving capital punishment when the tables are turned is a matter of small moment when the negro woman is the accusing party.
- Ida B Wells
Comments
Post a Comment