Skip to main content

I Regret Quotes

Yes, take it all around, there is quite a good deal of information in the book. I regret this very much; but really it could not be helped.
-from the Prefatory
- Mark Twain

I am only human, although I regret it.
- Mark Twain

I regret profoundly that I was not an American and not born in Greenwich Village. It might be dying, and there might be a lot of dirt in the air you breathe, but this is where it's happening.
- John Lennon

I regret that I am not clear as to what you intend by 'arisch'. I am not of Aryan extraction: that is Indo-Iranian; as far as I am aware none of my ancestors spoke Hindustani, Persian, Gypsy, or any related dialects.
- J R R Tolkien

If the world ends tomorrow, understand that I regret saying no.
- Alex Adams

Arthur: If I asked you where the hell we were, would I regret it?
Ford: We're safe.
Arthur: Oh good.
Ford: We're in a small galley cabin in one of the spaceships of the Vogon Constructor Fleet.
Arthur: Ah, this is obviously some strange use of the word safe that I wasn't previously aware of.
- Douglas Adams

This is not a love story. It is my life, and as such, there is love, loss, war, death, and sacrifice. It's about things that needed to be done and choices made. I regret nothing.
- Ann Aguirre

I regret..." Tobias tilts his head, and sighs. "I regret my choice."
"What Choice?"
"Dauntless," he says. "I was born Abnegation. I was planning on leaving Dauntless, and becoming factionless. But I met her, and... I felt like maybe I could make something more of my decision."
Her.
- Veronica Roth

The one thing I regret was that my work required an enormous amount of my time, and a lot of travel.
- Neil Armstrong

Yes," Jace said, "I regret having disobeyed you."
No! Clary thought, but her heart sank. Was he giving up, did he think it was the only way to save her and Simon?
Valentine's face softened. "Jonathan-"
"Especially," Jace said, "since I plan to do it again. Right now.
- Cassandra Clare

I do not know what I regret. I sit with my pen, and cannot find an end to that sentence.
- M T Anderson

I was a daydreamer, and there is a lot of history and geography and science I missed out on because I was in my head. And I regret that.
- Gillian Anderson

I think many experiences are bound to be failures, and sometimes I regret them before they even happen.
- Keren Ann

I'm often asked if I regret not going to Hollywood. I'm glad I didn't go, because if I had I wouldn't have my extended family, which is the fabric of my life. Only recently have I realised how special and unusual it is.
- Francesca Annis

God knows I'm not perfect, either. I've made tons of stupid mistakes, and later I regretted them. And I've done it over and over again, thousands of times; a cycle of hollow joy and vicious self-hatred. But even so, every time I learned something about myself
-Misato Katsuragi
- Hideaki Anno

But I certainly made mistakes, for which I regret, I think most human beings in their lifetime make mistakes, mine ended up in two years prison - two very remarkable years from which I learnt a lot.
- Jeffrey Archer

What do you think it means if someone has a tattoo of Thanatos's symbol?" "Nothing probably, since a lot of us have tattoos of various symbols." "You don't." As soon as the words left my mouth, I regretted them. His eyes turned from gray to silver in a heartbeat. I imagined he was remembering how I would know if he had a tattoo hidden somewhere.
- Jennifer L Armentrout

...I cannot say that I regret my comparative insignificance, Importance may sometimes be purchased too dearly.
- Jane Austen

I regret losing certain women, but it was always my fault.
- Scott Baio

I regret the passing of the studio system. I was very appreciative of it because I had no talent.
- Lucille Ball

The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again I'd make all the same mistakes - only sooner.
- Tallulah Bankhead

You see, you're doing it again. Telling me nothing. (Tory)
You know, trust is always a good idea...for someone else. Every time I've ever made the mistake of trusting someone...it was a mistake that I regretted and paid for dearly. I'm really happy that no one has ever hurt you badly. I haven't been so lucky, okay? (Acheron)
- Sherrilyn Kenyon

Her greatest wish I should think was that I would remain exactly as I was, and how I regret that that was not to be. It was only for her roses that she wished for change, the strange moment of loral enchantment when the branch of a rose mutates, and shows a "sport," something new arising from the known rose. A leap in beauty.
- Sebastian Barry

I have been mortal, and some part of me is mortal yet. I am full of tears and hunger and the fear of death, although I cannot weep, and I want nothing, and I cannot die. I am not like the others now, for no unicorn was ever born who could regret, but I do. I regret.
- Peter S Beagle

No, I regret nothing, all I regret is having been born, dying is such a long tiresome business I always found.
- Samuel Beckett

But all this was nothing compared to the face which I regret to say vaguely resembled my own, less the refinement of course, same little abortive moustache, same little ferrety eyes, same paraphimosis of the nose, and a thin red mouth that looked as if it was raw from trying to shit its tongue.
- Samuel Beckett

Personally of course I regret everything.
Not a word, not a deed, not a thought, not a need,
not a grief, not a joy, not a girl, not a boy,
not a doubt, not a trust, not a scorn, not a lust,
not a hope, not a fear, not a smile, not a tear,
not a name, not a face, no time, no place...that I do not regret, exceedingly.
An ordure, from beginning to end.
- Samuel Beckett

...I would give a hundred Hemingways for one Stendhal or one Benjamin Constant. And I regret the influence of this literature on many young writers.
(1945)
- Albert Camus

I am a Senator against my wishes and feelings, which I regret more than any other of my life.
- Andrew Jackson

I regret that I didn't realize that actually they've got no power over you at school it's all just a trick to indoctrinate you into being a conditioned, tame, placid citizen. Rebel, children, I urge you, fight the turgid slick of conformity with which they seek to smother your glory.
- Russell Brand

I never wanted to be feared. If I regret one thing, it is the fear I have caused. Fear is the tool of tyrants. Unfortunately, when the fate of the world is in question, you use whatever tools are available.
- Brandon Sanderson

My ex-wife, she really didn't like the material that I did. And that's something I regret, that I wasn't more careful about making sure that she was O.K. with it. I just sort of didn't ask. So that's how that goes.
- Louis C K

I'm just saying that I...I regret that everybody else has nineteen chances, and only I am limited to a single chance for my genes to continue."
"Because you believe your genes would confer a great blessing upon the human race."
Ram thought about this for a moment, "I suppose that's what every adolescent male believes with his whole heart.
- Orson Scott Card

I regret not doing a film that I was offered with Clark Gable because the script was not good enough.
- Leslie Caron

I took the easy way, and to an extent I regret that. Still, though, the way we did it was honest. We played it and sang it the way we felt it, and there's a lot to be said for that.
- Johnny Cash

I regret that I wasn't the kind of person who could enjoy celebrity. It embarrassed me too much.
- Julie Christie

I regret to this day that I never went to college. I feel I should have been a doctor.
- Ty Cobb

abyss, n.
There are times when I doubt everything. When I regret everything you've taken from me, everything I've given you, and the waste of all the time I've spent on us.
- David Levithan

I want to say that probably 24 hours after I told CBS that I was stepping down at my 65th birthday, I was already regretting it. And I regretted it every day since.
- Walter Cronkite

I think I felt that I was very well known for my figure and needed to keep that up for my work. And I regret all of it. I felt fraudulent and very shameful.
- Jamie Lee Curtis

I go to the movies a lot, and I regret when I see some actor that I used to like, to find them offering no more surprises.
- Catherine Deneuve

People ask if I regret not winning a Stanley Cup, but winning the series against the Soviet Union was the best. It was the greatest experience of my hockey career by far.
- Marcel Dionne

Alas! I regret that I am taken from you; and, happy and beloved as I have been, is it not hard to quit you all? But these are not thoughts befitting me; I will endeavor to resign myself cheerfully to death, and will indulge a hope of meeting you in another world.
- Mary Shelley

That day, I began to be incredulous. Or, rather, I regretted having been credulous. I regretted having allowed myself to be borne away by a passion of the mind. Such is credulity.
- Umberto Eco

To sum it all up, I must say that I regret nothing.
- Adolf Eichmann

A thing which I regret, and which I will try to remedy some time, is that I have never in my life planted a walnut. Nobody does plant them nowadayswhen you see a walnut it is almost invariably an old tree. If you plant a walnut you are planting it for your grandchildren, and who cares a damn for his grandchildren?
- George Orwell

The desire to get married, which - I regret to say, I believe is basic and primal in women - is followed almost immediately by an equally basic and primal urge - which is to be single again.
- Nora Ephron

Oh, how I regret not having worn a bikini for the entire year I was twenty-six. If anyone young is reading this, go, right this minute, put on a bikini, and don't take it off until you're thirty-four.
- Nora Ephron

Not that I regret saying what I believed to be the truth, but I regret anything that I might have written or spoken that could have been used in a way to help to foster that atmosphere out of which came the loss of life of Brother Malcolm.
- Louis Farrakhan

I regret that it takes a life to learn how to live.
- Jonathan Safran Foer

I regret how much I believed in the future.
- Jonathan Safran Foer

As someone who worked hard for a Labour victory in the 90s, do I regret it? Not really. It was bound to happen. And it'll happen with the next government, and the one after it. Because all governments serve us. They serve the filth.
- Stephen Fry

We were never lovers, and we never will be, now. I do not regret that, however. I regret the conversations we never had, the time we did not spend together. I regret that I never told him that he made me happy, when I was in his company. The world was the better for his being in it. These things alone do I now regret: things left unsaid. And he is gone, and I am old.
- Neil Gaiman

I regret the whole worlds that will never come into existence, the children, the grandchildren, all the human possibilities that never were and never will be.
- Maggie Gallagher

With my time in the limelight, I regret that I didn't use it more to push vegetarianism. I support vegetarian options in the school lunch program.
- Bernhard Goetz

So yes, I say things I regret constantly, and I just can't help it.
- Kathy Griffin

I grew up in a very small, close-knit, Southern Baptist family, where everything was off-limits. So I couldn't wait to get to college and have some fun. And I did for the first two years. And I regret a lot of it, because my grades were in terrible shape. I never got in serious trouble, except for my grades.
- John Grisham

I have to say I regretted giving up animated movies.
- Stanislav Grof

As I grow older, I regret to say that a detestable habit of thinking seems to be getting a hold of me.
- H Rider Haggard

I really didn't feed off the whole Olympic experience at all, and I regret that from an athletic perspective, and also from a personal experience. I feel like I missed out, so I'm not going to do that this time.
- Ryan Hall

We all make mistakes, its horrible, I can't handle it, there are several things I regret.
- Kristin Hannah

Not that I regretted having Annie; I'd never felt that way for a second. I just regretted that I'd never had a chance to live the life I'd thought I was supposed to.
- Kristin Harmel

You can't imagine how much I regret what happened. For some reason, because
of the type of relationship we had, I thought it was an acceptable training exercise; albeit a little extreme. But I'm not going to ask your forgiveness, I don't want it. I mean to always remember my mistake, so I will never make it again. (Micah to Kaitlyn)
- Terra Harmony

Very few movies I've done I regret being involved in.
- Jared Harris

With all of their benefits, and there are many, one of the things I regret about e-books is that they have taken away the necessity of trawling foreign bookshops or the shelves of holiday houses to find something to read. I've come across gems and stinkers that way, and both can be fun.
- J K Rowling

I regret to say that during the first act of this, I fell so soundly asleep that the gentleman who brought me piled up a barricade of overcoat, hat, stick, and gloves between us to establish a separation in the eyes of the world, and went into an impersonation of A Young Man Who Has Come to the Theater Unaccompanied.
- Dorothy Parker

See this? I wrote this piece two years ago, after my parents died. I was angry. I was hurt. I wrote down exactly what I was feeling. When I read it now, I don't share those same feelings. Do I regret writing it? No. Because there's a chance that someone in this very room may relate to this. It might mean something to them.
- Colleen Hoover

I regret to say that we of the FBI are powerless to act in cases of oral-genital intimacy, unless it has in some way obstructed interstate commerce.
- J Edgar Hoover

I regret all of my books.
- Zora Neale Hurston

Do you regret those days?'
'No,' replied Marcelle acidly: 'but I regret the life I might have had.
- Jean Paul Sartre

When I'm feeling down on myself or not feeling good about who I am, or maybe something happened and I'm feeling depressed, I eat to fill that void. Afterwards I'll beat myself up about it. I regret doing it, but I'll turn around and do it again.
- Janet Jackson

The only thing I regret about age are the wrinkles. But I have high hopes
for this new almond cream! Do you know, that Italian apothecary promises the cream will make one's
skin as soft as a baby's cheek? Once your child arrives, we'll have a viable comparison. Not having seen
a baby in years, how would I know what its skin looks like?"
"I'm glad my condition will prove to be of use," Esme said rather tartly.
- Eloisa James

'None of Your Business.' It's the only Salt-N-Pepa song that I regret.
- Cheryl James

At the end of the first date, I got my courage up and I made a move. One U-Haul van and 1,500 miles later, I regretted my boldness.
- Jarod Kintz

Last night I stayed up late talking about tomorrow, and today I regret it because I was way off (by about 24 hours)
- Jarod Kintz

I don't have that many days left," he said as we sat together in the library. "Why would I want to spend them on matters of drainage and overdue accounts? I must husband my hours and spend every one of them wisely. I regret that I didn't come to this realization until I reached fifty years of age. Calpurnia, you would do well to adopt such an attitude at an earlier age. Spend each of your allotted hours with care.
- Jacqueline Kelly

Mr. Upchurch," she fumbled. "I... I must take my leave directly. But before I go, allow me to say how sorry I am for the callous way I treated you in the past. I regret it most keenly."
His heart squeezed even as he felt his brows rise. "Do you?"
She swallowed. "I was wrong about you. I was wrong about a great many things.
- Julie Klassen

I made decisions that I regret, and I took them as learning experiences... I'm human, not perfect, like anybody else.
- Queen Latifah

When I am in the Scottish Parliament chamber, I often feel the need to sit for the entire debate. It's only courteous to listen to what everyone has to say, although I often find myself desperate to say something but too scared to stand up in case I regret it.
- Margo Macdonald

I now, weak, old, diseased, poor, dying, hold still my soul in my hands, and I regret nothing.
- W Somerset Maugham

I know that I shall die struggling for breath, and I know that I shall be horribly afraid. I know that I shall not be able to keep myself from regretting bitterly the life that has brought me to such a pass; but I disown that regret. I now, weak, old, diseased, poor, dying, hold still my soul in my hands, and I regret nothing.
- W Somerset Maugham

I regret I didn't wear a jacket, or I'd give it to you."
"I still have my wings. It wouldn't fit."
"I'd carry them for you."
"They're attached to the dress. It was the only way I could get them to stay."
He squeezed my hand, tome mischievous. "In that case, I'd be especially happy to carry the wings."
"Sam!"
"It wouldn't be the first time I've seen you without clothes."
"Sam!
- Jodi Meadows

You think I regret saving your life?
- Stephenie Meyer

the more I live, the more I regret how little i know
- Claude Monet

Hey, I thought you wanted to know about the Sinsar Dubh!" I was so startled by his abrupt departure that I spoke without thinking. I regretted it immediately.
I had no idea where Vlane had gone, or why hed disappeared so suddenly, but I decided Id be wise to do the same myself.

Before I could move, a hand closed on my shoulder. "I do, Ms. Lane," Barrons said grimly. "But first Id like to know what the fuck you were doing kissing him.
- Karen Marie Moning

Of course I do not regret the Bond days, I regret that sadly heroes in general are depicted with guns in their hands, and to tell the truth I have always hated guns and what they represent.
- Roger Moore

I am really Chloe Anthony Wofford. That's who I am. I have been writing under this other person's name. I write some things now as Chloe Wofford, private things. I regret having called myself Toni Morrison when I published my first novel, The Bluest Eye.
- Toni Morrison

Too often I am jealous and my jealousy leads me to say things-things-that I regret.
- Kate Mosse

There's not a second I regret having a child on my own.
- Bridget Moynahan

I regret to say I'm
unable to reply to your unexpressed desires.
- Harryette Mullen

It's my responsibility, and entirely my fault, Of course I regret it. It's the kind of locker-room conversation we all use, but as prime minister I shouldn't have used it.
- Brian Mulroney

During my years as a press secretary, I developed a powerful internal filter, which worked to strip all things 'off message' from my thoughts before they came out of my mouth. It didn't always work, of course, and I said more than a few things I regretted.
- Dee Dee Myers

Learn to be a vampire, to be a warrior, to be the soldier you are capable of being. But consider the possibility that I made a mistake I regretand that I'll continue to regret that mistake and try to convince you to give me another chance until the earth stops turning.
- Chloe Neill

I regret the way pain has taught me nothing.
- Linda Pastan

I regret and suffer those losses, but it's God's will. He will pardon me if I committed excesses, but I don't think I did.
- Augusto Pinochet

I am the son of peasants and I know what is happening in the villages. That is why I wanted to take revenge, and I regret nothing.
- Gavrilo Princip

Years ago I wrote a column about the Central Park Jogger, a rape victim who happened to be an investment banker and a graduate of Wellsley College. I called her the Perfect Victim. I regret that now. Rape is a bad thing even when the victim doesn't look just like me.
- Anna Quindlen

I regret nothing. There have been things I missed, but I ask no questions, because I have loved it, such as it has been, even the moments of emptiness, even the unanswered-and that I loved it, that is the unanswered in my life.
- Ayn Rand

O love, if I regret the age when one savors you, it is not for the hour of pleasure, but for the one that follows it.
- Jeanjacques Rousseau

Behind us, Brauser is moaning. His cries swell and sky-crawl. It's a wordless sound, a wild sound, this animal pain that can't be haltered and led to meaning.... This is the worst sound, I think, the very worst sound in the whole world.
Then the moaning stops. Brauser's movement stops. And I regret all my hastier judgments. Any sound is better than this.
- Karen Russell

I regret what happened. I saw no other possibility to achieve my goal. It was not hooliganism.
- Mathias Rust

You have to be young to be able to do things like that. Now I'm more cautious. I'm proud that I was able to do what I did - psychologically it was a great wall to climb - but sometimes I regret it.
- Mathias Rust

I notice the silvery hair at his temples with a tinge of sadness. Why do parents grow old? Life is a castle of lies slowly dismantled by the passage of time. I regret not spending more time looking at the people I love.
- Shan Sa

I regret,' said he, 'that I have no cup; but, as you see, I can practise phlebotomy with a bottle.
- Rafael Sabatini

The one thing I regret is that I will never have time to read all the books I want to read.
- Francoise Sagan

I believe the war on terror is the vital discussion of this decade and of our generation, probably. To win the war on terror, you need a good offense and a good defense. On defense, I regret to say, basically, this administration has not come close to doing what is necessary.
- Charles Schumer

But we have been to the Pole and we shall die like gentlemen. I regret only for the women we leave behind.
- Robert Falcon Scott

I regret everything because it has just finished, and already when I was twelve, I lamented the time that had gone by. Even in the best of spirits, it's always been as though I wrestle with the present in a vain effort to stop its becoming the past.
- Andrew Solomon

There is nothing I've been through in my life that I regret, or that I would go back and change. I feel like everything that happened - personally and professionally - I went through for a reason, and I learned from those things.
- Sheryl Swoopes

Do I regret taking the company public? Yes and no. Yes, because it put us under enormous pressure for a young company to go public at that point in its history, something you never could have done in the old days.
- David Talbot

I regret that I wasn't more successful with my marriages, but it is what it is.
- Ted Turner

I regret not having had more time with my kids when they were growing up.
- Tina Turner

Love can destroy or create all things, depending on whose hands wield the emotion, and whose heart gets in the way. I regret nothing I've felt in the past, for it got me to where I am now, nor do I regret what I feel now. I regret the devastation that comes with the passage of time, but I do not regret you. Nor will I ever.
- Jennifer Megan Varnadore

I have always believed, heretofore, in the doctrines of the Declaration of Independence, that all men are born free and equal; but of late it appears that some men are born slaves, and I regret that they are not black, so all the world might know them.
- Benjamin F Wade

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eye Contact Quotes

If you must eat a banana in public, never make eye contact. - Darynda Jones I hope the two of you will descend from your love bubble long enough to learn something today," he sniped cuttingly and the other kids snickered. Embarrassed, I ducked my head to avoid eye contact with them. "It's all right, sir," Xavier replied. "The bubble's been engineered to allow us to learn from within it. - Alexandra Adornetto The trick is not to make eye contact. They don't charge if you don't make eye contact. - Sarah Addison Allen I'm Emma. I'm here to make you see the meaning of your life. Her exalted words were totally conquered by her dragging tone and lack of eye contact. - Debra Anastasia I glanced at Derek. The boy wonder didn't melt into a pile of goo, although his gaze was glued to Rowena's chest. Avoiding eye contact. Good strategy. - Ilona Andrews So just look mean and don't make eye contact with anyone. (Syn) Gee, hon, you take m

I Did It My Way Quotes

And now, the end is near, And so I face the final curtain. My friend, I'll say it clear, I'll state my case, of which I'm certain. I've lived a life that's full. I've traveled each and every highway; And more, much more than this, I did it my way. - Frank Sinatra You've got to know your limitations. I don't know what your limitations are. I found out what mine were when I was twelve. I found out that there weren't too many limitations, if I did it my way. - Johnny Cash Every comedian dreams of hosting 'The Tonight Show' and, for seven months, I got to. I did it my way, with people I love, and I do not regret a second. - Conan Obrien It doesn't matter that I didn't win a trophy because I did it my way and I lived the dream. - Alan Shearer

Into The Wild Quotes

You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition. What you'll discover will be wonderful. What you'll discover is yourself. - Alan Alda The creative is the place where no one else has ever been. You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition. - Alan Alda And I'm going to tell the truth: I didn't like that Sean Penn movie Into the Wild so much. Yes! I know it was critically acclaimed. I know it won all these awards! It's very sad that a boy is dead and all. But I thought the movie Enchanted, with the singing princess and the chipmunk and the people dancing in Central Park, was cuter. So there! - Meg Cabot Communing with God is communing with our own hearts, our own best selves, not with something foreign and accidental. Saints and devotees have gone into the wilderness to find God; of course they took God with them, and the silence and detachment enabled them to hear the still, small