Skip to main content

Rock N Roll Quotes

We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first, rock 'n' roll or Christianity.
- John Lennon

I don't know which will go first - rock 'n' roll or Christianity.
- John Lennon

I'm not gonna be a slave. I'm a rock n' roller.
- Steven Adler

The blues is the foundation, and it's got to carry the top. The other part of the scene, the rock 'n' roll and the jazz, are the walls of the blues.
- Luther Allison

My older sister was at the cusp of new wave, and I had older brothers from my father's first marriage who were rock 'n' roll guys, so I was exposed to a lot of popular culture.
- Paul Thomas Anderson

Rock 'n Roll: The most brutal, ugly, desperate, vicious form of expression it has been my misfortune to hear.
- Frank Sinatra

I've got rock 'n' roll in my blood.
- William Shatner

Tex (wearing a tux, and not happy about it) boomed from across the room, Roxanne Giselle Lo... I mean, Nightingale! When are those fuckin' harpists gonna shut the fuck up and so we can get some rock 'n' roll?
- Kristen Ashley

Rock 'n' roll is good for the soul, for the well being, for the psyche, for your everything. I love it.
- Hank Ballard

Rock 'n' roll is an attitude, it's not a musical form of a strict sort. It's a way of doing things, of approaching things. Writing can be rock 'n' roll, or a movie can be rock 'n' roll. It's a way of living your life.
- Lester Bangs

A fellow writer told me that Richard [Hell] once told her that the best thing about being a rock 'n roll star would be the option of constructing his environment so that he would never have to be around anyone he didn't want to know from, which not only sounds like building your own concentration camp but is just exactly what most of the declining rockstars of the Sixties have done to themselves.
- Lester Bangs

Don't ask me why I obsessively look to rock 'n' roll bands for some kind of model for a better society. I guess it's just that I glimpsed something beautiful in a flashbulb moment once, and perhaps mistaking it for prophecy have been seeking its fulfillment ever since.
- Lester Bangs

Even so, there were times I saw freshness and beauty. I could smell the air, and I really loved rock 'n' roll. Tears were warm, and girls were beautiful, like dreams. I liked movie theaters, the darkness and intimacy, and I liked the deep, sad summer nights.
- Haruki Murakami

This is the rock 'n' roll life, and you had to invent it as you went along. There was no textbook to say how you operate this machinery.
- Keith Richards

I am like the little rock n' roll backseat driver.
- Nina Blackwood

We put all these things together into a tangible product that is The Rock N' Roll Mystery Tour.
- Nina Blackwood

Rock 'n' roll is ridiculous. It's absurd. In the past, U2 was trying to duck that. Now we're wrapping our arms around it and giving it a great big kiss.
- Bono

The great moments of rock 'n' roll were never off in some corner of the music world, in a self-constructed ghetto.
- Bono

It's a big shame, because 'Trixter' in my mind were what a real rock n' roll band is all about.
- Steve Brown

Rock Band is more like Stairmaster than it is like rock 'n' roll - it's the same steps with different degrees of difficulty.
- Carrie Brownstein

I don't really remember a whole lot of sex, drugs and rock n' roll, really.
- Bill Bruford

I wanted to make an image for myself as an outlaw type. A kind of rock 'n' roll sensibility.
- Nicolas Cage

Rock 'n' Roll, no roses or gardening.
- Tina Charles

Some guy said to me: Don't you think you're too old to sing rock n' roll?
I said: You'd better check with Mick Jagger.
- Cher

Your woman pisses you off so that gets in there; that's rock n roll.
- Gary Cherone

Michael Anthony is the Diplomat of Rock N Roll. He is the regular guy.
- Gary Cherone

I think rock 'n' roll would become exponentially, considerably more difficult to perform past about 65.
- Adam Clayton

I don't think rock 'n' roll is necessarily a young man's game.
- Adam Clayton

Sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll is easy. True christianity...that's rebellion.
- Alice Cooper

Maybe rock 'n' roll isn't music. Maybe people just need to be reminded that the world ain't the way they think it is.
- Julian Cope

I can't really dress rock 'n' roll any more because I'm the wrong side of 40, but I want that to be the fashion.
- Daniel Craig

I don't have any illusions anymore. The illusion that rock 'n' roll could change anything - I don't believe that. I've changed.
- Roger Daltrey

You know, technology CEOs like to think of themselves as rock 'n roll stars.
- James Daly

He's more than just a good-looking guy and you know it. But, I thought, he doesn't have flashlight eyes or a cocky-bastard smile that can boil water or a voice from the heavens and most of all he says things like, It's only rock 'n' roll.
- Tiffanie Debartolo

I asked John if it was a crime to want to live in a world where girls with falcon eyes and pretty underwear believe in the saving grace of rock 'n' roll and he said, "Just check your chute before you jump, that's all I'm saying." Gotta get some sleep. Over.
- Tiffanie Debartolo

I had done a lot of rock 'n' roll photography when I was in college. I was one of many photographers who worked for The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, and all of these rock 'n' roll bands.
- John Dykstra

Most writers can write, most rock 'n rollers cannot.
- Andrew Eldritch

Rock 'n' roll. Deal with it.
- Bret Easton Ellis

Rock 'n' roll... but I also like sporting events a lot. I love Mike Piazza.
- Angie Everhart

If I had my way, I would have sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll at least 4-6 hours a day. So long as there are going to be things in the way of that, we're going to have a revolution.
- Perry Farrell

They wanted to start recording rock 'n roll, and thought I had the right voice.
- Freddy Fender

I love to rock 'n roll. But my finest suit, of all the things I do, is as a songwriter.
- Dan Fogelberg

I had never done TV. I think it's a foolish medium for, most rock 'n roll music. Nobody ever comes off well on TV.
- Dan Fogelberg

It's better for me to play with guys because Rock 'n' Roll has such an aggressive attitude.
- Lita Ford

I wish the rock 'n' roll scene to be back in.
- Brendan Fraser

Forget acting. It's all about rock 'n' roll.
- Brendan Fraser

This isn't meant to make me sound interesting and rock 'n' roll, but I wouldn't want to live with me a lot of the time.
- Martin Freeman

Dick Clark really didn't make rock 'n roll safe for America, as many people think.
- Annette Funicello

Detroit was kind of a random thing where it was like a chance to be in a rock 'n' roll movie.
- Edward Furlong

Everything that's rock n roll is ever meant to be is happening now. I need to get over the shock that that thing is actually happening and that thousands of millions of people around the world are watching.
- Bob Geldof

Traditional hedonism...was based on the direct experience of pleasure: wine, women and song; sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll; or whatever the local variant. The problem, from a capitalist perspective, is that there are inherent limits to all this. People become sated, bored...Modern self-illusory hedonism solves this dilemma because here, what one is really consuming are fantasies and day-dreams about what having a certain product would be like.
- David Graeber

I like pop music. I consider rock 'n' roll to be a branch of pop music.
- Tom Stoppard

As I discovered music, especially Rock 'n Roll, new territory was opened to me. I was lured by the unbridled rhythm of this art form. It was like gasoline on the fire of my youthful spirit.
- Taylor Hanson

I refuse to age disgracefully in rock 'n' roll.
- Ben Harper

Wherever there are rock 'n' rollers, we'll play. That's what we've been doing for more than 30 years - rock 'n' roll. It's made me everything from an honorary mayor to honorary member of a motorcycle gang.
- Ronnie Hawkins

Rock 'n' roll was two pegs below being a prisoner of war back then.
- Ronnie Hawkins

When you sit down and think about what rock 'n' roll music really is, then you have to change that question. Played up-tempo, you call it rock 'n' roll; at a regular tempo, you call it rhythm and blues.
- Little Richard

But I'm a rock 'n' roll singer; that's my livelihood, my occupation.
- Little Richard

God gives us the ability, but rock 'n' roll was created by men.
- Little Richard

Rock 'n' roll offered me a platform to speak what I felt. It also offered me a platform to support my mama and my brothers and sisters - twelve children.
- Little Richard

To me, true rock 'n' roll has a lot of bottom in it.
- Little Richard

I wanna show that gospel, country, blues, rhythm and blues, jazz, rock 'n' roll are all just really one thing. Those are the American music and that is the American culture.
- Etta James

Why there aren't people out there willing to have fun playing rock 'n' roll. I just don't get it.
- Joan Jett

I grew up in a world that told girls they couldn't play rock 'n' roll.
- Joan Jett

Rock 'n' roll music is what gets me off.
- Joan Jett

I don't know if I miss it per se, but I do miss the fact that there just doesn't seem to be any rock 'n' roll out there anyplace. Everything does seem kind of tame. It's even hard in Manhattan to go out and find a good band to go see.
- Joan Jett

I think there's nothing better than seeing a three-chord straight up rock 'n' roll band in your face with sweaty music and three minute good songs.
- Joan Jett

I think what I'm going to do is get more balance in my life to still be able to go out and play the hard rock 'n' roll and do what I like to do in music.
- Joan Jett

I think we as a band, as individuals, understand that all popular music stems from blues and jazz and even pop, but rock 'n' roll especially comes from blues.
- David Johansen

We thought that's the way you were supposed to be if you were in a rock 'n' roll band. Flamboyant.
- David Johansen

This is the way I look at sex scenes: I have basically been doing them for a living for years. Trying to seduce an audience is the basis of rock 'n roll, and if I may say so, I'm pretty good at it.
- Jon Bon Jovi

We were on the cover of Women's Wear Daily, which was hardly rock 'n' roll, but it pleased me.
- Gary Kemp

I have rock 'n' roll pumping through my veins.
- Kesha

Sports is like rock 'n' roll. Both are dominant cultural forces, both speak an international language, and both are all about emotions.
- Phil Knight

As I said to Ringo, I was in a successful Rock N Roll band. He was in a band that changed the world. That's the difference.
- Greg Lake

Rock n' Roll came from the slaves singing gospel in the fields. Their lives were hell and they used music to lift out of it, to take them away. That's what rock n' roll should do - take you to a better place.
- Meat Loaf

I don't date rock 'n' rollers. I just marry them.
- Heather Locklear

Deep Purple is a damn good band and we've made a niche in rock 'n' roll history. Maybe not a huge one but enough to be very proud of.
- Jon Lord

These days, rock 'n' roll is much more about rock than about roll. I don't do rock. But I'm interested in that roll part, because that's the funny little bit that makes it hip.
- Nick Lowe

I wanted to be a rock 'n' roll star. It defines life for me. It's all I've ever imagined for myself.
- Shelby Lynne

They'll see it. And it doesn't matter if they don't. It's only Rock 'n' Roll. But I do intend to move more into the Mainstream. Marilyn Manson is just the First phase.
- Marilyn Manson

Rock 'n' roll is like a circus today.
- Ray Manzarek

I actually don't see that strong of a connection between my background as a rock 'n roller and my early films. In a way I think your musical identity in film work is determined by the jobs that come your way.
- Cliff Martinez

I've often thought that my background in rock 'n' roll has gone to waste in film work. My background was that I was a rock 'n' roll drummer and I don't think I used drums in my first ten years of film scoring.
- Cliff Martinez

She is the rock 'n' roll queen. Weirdly enough, that is one of the things her reign will be remembered for. Queen Elizabeth I, we remember Raleigh; Queen Elizabeth II it's gonna be the Beatles.
- Paul Mccartney

I feel like that I'm learning all the time. I'm learning from new artists, from established artists... every time I listen to '70s rock 'n' roll records, I'm learning. And I think that I'm just now starting to get a hold on what I do.
- Tim Mcgraw

Leadbelly's guitar is in the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame.
- Roger Mcguinn

The reason kids like rock 'n roll is their parents don't.
- Mitch Miller

You know, Neil Young is singing Rock n' roll will never die, and Neil never rocked and rolled in his life. I mean, he rocked, but he didn't roll. He has got no swing in him.
- Joni Mitchell

Buddy Holly and the early rock 'n' roll was no lighter than the way I play. It's very minimal.
- Joni Mitchell

I'm also performing regularly in Southern California with two bands. As a solo artist doing acoustic sets and a member of the Jenerators, my rock n roll band that has been around for a long time now.
- Bill Mumy

I think the world is ready for some rock 'n' roll. Some real time guys that play their own instruments, write their own songs, and sing the music and have a good time doing it.
- Vince Neil

I'll do a cappella stuff, rock 'n' roll and swing stuff.
- Juice Newton

I'm spoiled - in all ways. I've been in a rock 'n' roll band since I was 13, and we had incredible success. When it ended, it had been so good that I just looked at it as time to try something different.
- Peter Noone

To fill the shoes of rock 'n' roll, because of the family I have, is a really hard thing.
- Kelly Osbourne

'In 1968, John Osbourne was an up-and-coming rock 'n' roll star,' I would say in this fake movie-announcer voice as I wandered around the house. 'In 1969, he was an up-and-coming garbageman.'
- Ozzy Osbourne

The cutthroat avenues of rock 'n' roll, I am fed up with. I don't want anything to do with it.
- Neil Young

There's an edge to real rock 'n' roll. It's all that matters.
- Neil Young

Popular culture - above all rock 'n' roll, with its African-American R & B roots - did far more to radicalize us than did any feminist leader.
- Camille Paglia

Teenagers did not have, before rock 'n' roll and rhythm-and-blues - they did not have any type of music they could call their own once they got over 4 or 5 years old until they were well into their 20's and considered adults.
- Sam Phillips

Survivor is like rock 'n' roll - you can do what you want.
- Jeff Probst

I'm ready for some rock 'n' roll action.
- Mick Ralphs

Well, I think we're the greatest rock 'n' roll band in the world.
- Joey Ramone

Rock 'n' roll is much easier if you're white.
- Kid Rock

I play Rock 'n' Roll, that's what I do.
- Kid Rock

Detroit: Cars and rock 'n' roll. Not a bad combo.
- Kid Rock

I know I'm not the kind of person who's gonna wind up a walking jukebox, like many rock 'n' roll artists. They just play their hits and that's it. That doesn't appeal to me.
- Carlos Santana

Im more in love with Rock n Roll today than other things. It grows, you know?
- Bon Scott

No matter how long you play rock n roll songs might change just as the balls are there, the rock balls. And that's what's important to us.
- Bon Scott

All the songs we do are basically about one of three things: booze, sex or rock n roll.
- Bon Scott

After 50, the rock 'n' roll road is a little absurd. It's very difficult to play these little places. You're out there on a rickety old bus with no place to shower.
- Nancy Sinatra

I was always fascinated with rock 'n' roll, or girls, or something like that when I was a kid.
- Gary Sinise

I immersed myself in books and rock 'n' roll, the adolescent salvation..
- Patti Smith

My mom loved rock 'n roll. My father hated it. We couldn't play it when he was around.
- Patti Smith

What I wanted to do in rock 'n roll was merge poetry with sonic scapes, and the two people who had contributed so much to that were Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison.
- Patti Smith

Rock n' roll is dream soup, what's your brand?
- Patti Smith

When I was younger, I felt it was my duty to wake people up. I thought poetry was asleep. I thought rock 'n' roll was asleep.
- Patti Smith

I don't conduct myself like a rock 'n' roll star in my day-to-day living. Am I a celebrity? Yes. Do people recognize me on the street? Yes, they do. But at the same time, it's not a media center out here. People get used to you.
- Dee Snider

I wasn't a rock 'n' roll girl. I said, Neil Young, Neil Young, where do I know that name from?
- Carrie Snodgress

Kill Rock Stars allowed me to put out a real genuine rock 'n' roll record.
- Ronnie Spector

It's a rock 'n' roll thing to have one-night stands.
- Rick Springfield

The Clash were a major influence on my own music. They were the best rock 'n' roll band. Thanks, Joe.
- Bruce Springsteen

I love going to my supermarket. Sounds so rock 'n' roll, eh?
- Rachel Stevens

It was the early days of Rock 'n' Roll in this country. We were all struggling to learn music, it might be Country, Jazz, Classical, Blues or even Rock 'n' Roll.
- Jim Sullivan

If you were looking at where you would like your career to go, then you would have to cherry pick The Stones. People love coming to see them. They are it, they are the most definitive rock n roll band ever.
- Andy Taylor

Rock 'n' Roll might not solve your problems, but it does let you dance all over them
- Pete Townshend

Times were changing. Clothes were changing. Morals were changing. We went from romantic loves songs like I used to do to rock 'n roll. Now that has changed to rap. So, there's always a new generation with new music.
- Bobby Vinton

Rock 'n' roll is not red carpets and MySpace friends, rock'n'roll is dangerous and should piss people off
- Gerard Way

I forever felt that I've fallen right between the crack of way too young for the first generation of classic rock 'n' roll and too old to be brand-new. It's hard.
- Paul Westerberg

I'm not dissatisfied with my place in it rock 'n' roll.
- Paul Westerberg

We based the look on rock 'n roll right from the beginning.
- Vivienne Westwood

What changed our lives forever was when Malcolm had the idea to sell rock 'n roll records to trendy customers.
- Vivienne Westwood

It's a cruel, heartless world out there in commercial rock 'n' roll, and when you take as much time off as we did, eight years, booking agents don't know if you'll draw.
- Tina Weymouth

Everybody was tellin' me that I had to do something different, and I kind of agreed that I did need to vary it a little bit. I still love some rock 'n' roll too.
- Johnny Winter

I just like the blues better than rock 'n' roll.
- Johnny Winter

I was listening to music long before rock 'n roll.
- Bill Wyman

The primary one being, like I said, I don't like rock 'n' roll piano.
- Warren Zevon

Yeah, I don't like, um, I'm not interested in rock 'n' roll piano. I find it a little grating.
- Warren Zevon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fat Person Quotes

She was convinced that she was anorexic, because every time she looked in the mirror she did indeed see a fat person. - Terry Pratchett I sensed immediately that he'd once been overweight. He moved with a fat person's tiptoey apology. - Jennifer Egan I feel self-conscious calling my cat fat in front of a fat person, considering I'm skinny and inconsiderate. - Jarod Kintz I call myself a FFP: former fat person, and when you're an FFP, you will always see in yourself what people used to bully you for. - Kelly Osbourne Well you know, it's true that as a fat person I run a greater risk of heart disease, diabetes, and a number of other things. But guess what? The amount of that risk is almost infinitessimal! - Daniel Pinkwater

Bass Player Quotes

I always just wanted to be the singer or the bass player in the band. I'd love to have a band, where I was obviously the singer, but where it wasn't me, it wasn't my name. - Bryan Adams In jazz, you listen to what the bass player is doing and what the drummer is doing, what the pianist and the guitarist is doing, and then you play something that compliments that, so you are thinking simultaneously and thinking ahead. - David Amram I can understand why some of these drummers and bass players become cult figures with all of their equipment and the incredible amount of technique they have. But there's very little that I think satisfies you intellectually or emotionally. - Ken Burns Jack Bruce, as soon as I saw him, it changed me. I didn't even know what bass players did until I saw Cream. - Geezer Butler Bass players are always the intellectual kind, but nobody knows it. - Stanley Clarke There are a lot of people who can do it on the guitar and sing at the same t...